2008-2009 Ohio State Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone hear from Ohio State recently? Particularly those whose decisions were deferred...

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone hear from Ohio State recently? Particularly those whose decisions were deferred...

nope. I interviewed 9/24 and was deferred 10/15. I have not heard a peep about my application status since. It doesn't look good for us. I sent an update to OSU recently and received the following email:

"I have made a copy of your update and will put it in your file for future
reference. We are still looking at applications weekly. The last batch of
interview invites will go out after the first of the year. If you have not
heard anything by then, it will be the end of May or the first of June until
we go to the defered list. Good luck."

And yes, their admissions representative misspelled "deferred" in the email. That's not very comforting lol, I hope it doesn't imply it's a list they don't look at often:)

I am a little confused by the message, actually. I have already interviewed, so I don't understand why it matters to me when more invites go out. That said, it sounds like if we are not accepted in the next week or two then we can assume deferred is = or < a waitlist decision (which we are already assuming I think...)

So I guess it's safe to say that if you haven't sent in your secondary, then don't bother.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess it's safe to say that if you haven't sent in your secondary, then don't bother.

I don't know or even think it's really possible to send in your secondary now...and if you're still thinking about it, then you obviously have no idea what you're doing

So my interview is 2/2---safe to say that is still interviewing for accept spot in class or am I getting into waitlist spot time?

I'm assuming that if we don't get an interview invite by next week that it's sayanora OSU.

Here's hoping...:xf:

I haven't gotten an interview invite from OSU either. I was complete back in September, and my status has stayed the same since then: "AMCAS application received". Since it's now January 9th, I'm guessing I've been silently rejected - the least they could do is put me out of my misery, so I don't keep checking my status everyday!

I haven't gotten an interview invite from OSU either. I was complete back in September, and my status has stayed the same since then: "AMCAS application received". Since it's now January 9th, I'm guessing I've been silently rejected - the least they could do is put me out of my misery, so I don't keep checking my status everyday!
I have been complete since July, figured rejection. Received interview invite today (oos), although for March-likely for an alternate spot though.

I have been complete since July, figured rejection. Received interview invite today (oos), although for March-likely for an alternate spot though.

Congratulations! Even if it does turn out to be for an alternate spot, that's still great news. I'm so jealous :oops:

Congratulations! Even if it does turn out to be for an alternate spot, that's still great news. I'm so jealous :oops:
Thanks. I have already been accepted to a school, so I wish I knew if it were for an alternate spot, but I guess I'll go anyway. It is closer to home and cheaper. Keep up hope, I honestly hadn't checked my status since November, I figured I'd been rejected.
Anyone know how many OOS are interviewed/accepted?

im oos and got the invite to interview today as well (for 3/2 i think). im going to withdraw, however. hopefully the spot will go to someone on this thread who wants it badly

Invite for March 11th interview. Almost certainly for a waitlist spot, but wth... they're my top choice.

marked complete on 10/27...no word yet.
stats: in state, went to hopkins undergrad (crappy bcpm gpa), 28s, currently attending hopkins public health school getting a masters degree in the biochem dept...thoughts?

that 28 is probably gonna kill your app unless youre urm. their median is 35

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man looks like that last batch of interview invites went out today and I missed out. I was really hopeful about this school too, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm getting nervous though, it's looking likely that I won't get in anywhere this cycle. I haven't even had an interview yet.

Congrats to everyone who got invites/acceptances though! I'll be wishing you the best.

Oh man looks like that last batch of interview invites went out today and I missed out.

Yeah, me too. :( OSU was my top choice, but I'll be the first to admit that I was a below average candidate based on the quality of their matriculants.

Congrats to everyone who got acceptances and interview invites!!

For those who were accepted, do you plan on attending? I do and I'm so excited!!:D

i'm still waiting to hear back from a few more places...but I'm most likely going to end up at OSU!!! it's definitely one of my top choices! :)

Has anyone else been deferred for a really long time? I interviewed in mid/late September and my status has been "Deferred-Decision pending" since 10/16. Call me crazy, but it seems to me like nothing is pending. You guys think "deferred" is worse than a WL decision at this point?

Has anyone accepted received the background check authorization yet? I haven't gotten the email, and it's been 4+ weeks....

Has anyone else been deferred for a really long time? I interviewed in mid/late September and my status has been "Deferred-Decision pending" since 10/16. Call me crazy, but it seems to me like nothing is pending. You guys think "deferred" is worse than a WL decision at this point?

I sure hope it's not worse; I'm in the same boat... They say they re-look at the applications each week, right? There have been a lot of weeks since the first "deferred"... :(

Has anyone accepted received the background check authorization yet? I haven't gotten the email, and it's been 4+ weeks....

You should probably check with the admissions office or AMCAS because I received my background check authorization email the same time I received my status change email for OSU.

I sure hope it's not worse; I'm in the same boat... They say they re-look at the applications each week, right? There have been a lot of weeks since the first "deferred"... :(

Yeah it's a little bit of a slap in the face to have to "wait" so long for a decision when all it means is that we aren't good enough. They should have just handed out rejections 3 months ago so we could get over it and move on. Also, I call BS on them looking at applications every week. They may look at new applications every week, but I feel like deferred applicants have been circular filed and they just haven't broken the news to us yet.

Yeah it's a little bit of a slap in the face to have to "wait" so long for a decision when all it means is that we aren't good enough. They should have just handed out rejections 3 months ago so we could get over it and move on. Also, I call BS on them looking at applications every week. They may look at new applications every week, but I feel like deferred applicants have been circular filed and they just haven't broken the news to us yet.

I emailed them last week in regards to the "deferred- decision pending" status. I got this:

It is possible to gain acceptance in the coming months. The time frame in which your decision could change is variable. However, please be assured that your application will continue to receive active and on-going consideration. We will go to our deferred candidates once the class size falls below the 210 expected entering students.

At the present time, it is too early to provide you with more details as to the possibility of gaining acceptance. I should know more at the end of May. However, please be aware that if you gain an acceptance after May 15, you will still be able to accept our offer. As you know, on May 15, you must select one school as your top choice and withdraw any other acceptances. If we offer you a seat in our class, you could accept our offer but would be required to withdraw from the one school where you are holding.

Welcome to the waitlist kiddies...

I emailed them last week in regards to the "deferred- decision pending" status. I got this:

It is possible to gain acceptance in the coming months. The time frame in which your decision could change is variable. However, please be assured that your application will continue to receive active and on-going consideration. We will go to our deferred candidates once the class size falls below the 210 expected entering students.

At the present time, it is too early to provide you with more details as to the possibility of gaining acceptance. I should know more at the end of May. However, please be aware that if you gain an acceptance after May 15, you will still be able to accept our offer. As you know, on May 15, you must select one school as your top choice and withdraw any other acceptances. If we offer you a seat in our class, you could accept our offer but would be required to withdraw from the one school where you are holding.

Welcome to the waitlist kiddies...

This process can be kind of frustrating... I'd like to have it straight: deferred? Waitlisted? Rejected? Just let me know!! I've got to be making some decisions here (whether it be for a new plan next year, even) and I'd prefer to make it on good info, not smoke and euphemisms.... :mad:

This process can be kind of frustrating... I'd like to have it straight: deferred? Waitlisted? Rejected? Just let me know!! I've got to be making some decisions here (whether it be for a new plan next year, even) and I'd prefer to make it on good info, not smoke and euphemisms.... :mad:

I agree. No point in them giving me false hope if I should be preparing for a re-app.

hey,

i have an interview coming up next month... and i have been reading lots of talk about how late interviews are just for "alternate spots" is this really true? i am flying all the way from cali and i dont really want to waste my time!! also how is the interview? any tricky questions or pretty laid back?? Thanks!!

Darn! I've been deferred since Oct 16 as well. It sounds like this means we're at least waitlisted and not rejected outright, correct?

Will they tell us where we are on the waitlist when the time comes?

For those of you got deferred or rejected, did you receive the email from them more than 10 business days after interviewing there? Did you also get CBC email if you were deferred?

For those of you got accepted there, did you receive the Background Check email before? or after? you received an email from them regarding your "status change?" And did you get accepted less than or about 10 business days after interviewing there?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I was deferred but I interviewed in September so I didn't receive any notice until Oct 16, the first day they were allowed to give us news. I did not receive a CBC from them. I believe that is only for accepted applicants.

I was deferred but I interviewed in September so I didn't receive any notice until Oct 16, the first day they were allowed to give us news. I did not receive a CBC from them. I believe that is only for accepted applicants.

anyone else? anyone interviewed in Dec. or Jan.?

For those of you got deferred or rejected, did you receive the email from them more than 10 business days after interviewing there? Did you also get CBC email if you were deferred?

For those of you got accepted there, did you receive the Background Check email before? or after? you received an email from them regarding your "status change?" And did you get accepted less than or about 10 business days after interviewing there?

Thanks!

Sorry to scare people, I don't really have important news. Just FYI, I called the admissions office this morning and asked a few questions about the deferred list (which I'm on).

The woman who answered the phone said the thinks that people on the deferred list should all be getting updates in ~2 weeks. I don't know if that means "in the next 2 weeks" or "2 weeks from now." Also, I asked if the deferred list was a worse place to be than the waitlist. She didn't know. Come to think of it, does OSU have a waitlist or have they just been deferring everybody?

Sorry to scare people, I don't really have important news. Just FYI, I called the admissions office this morning and asked a few questions about the deferred list (which I'm on).

The woman who answered the phone said the thinks that people on the deferred list should all be getting updates in ~2 weeks. I don't know if that means "in the next 2 weeks" or "2 weeks from now." Also, I asked if the deferred list was a worse place to be than the waitlist. She didn't know. Come to think of it, does OSU have a waitlist or have they just been deferring everybody?

Thanks for the info; hopefully this means we can hear something int he next little bet. Luck to all :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Accepted today!! Interviewed Jan 12. There is no deposit, right?

:D

just wanted to update everyone on what they said today at my interview in regards to accept/defer/waitlist:

they said they interview until mid-March. They have acceptances until then, so they accept fewer people so that there are chances of accept no matter when in the interview cycle you interview. If you are defered, that is not being waitlisted. It is equivalent to no news. They will continue to re-review your app throughout the cycle. After May 15th when people can only hold one acceptance, they will wait "until the dust settles", re-review who has not withdrawn and create a waitlist from there.

just wanted to update everyone on what they said today!!

just wanted to update everyone on what they said today at my interview in regards to accept/defer/waitlist:

they said they interview until mid-March. They have acceptances until then, so they accept fewer people so that there are chances of accept no matter when in the interview cycle you interview. If you are defered, that is not being waitlisted. It is equivalent to no news. They will continue to re-review your app throughout the cycle. After May 15th when people can only hold one acceptance, they will wait "until the dust settles", re-review who has not withdrawn and create a waitlist from there.

just wanted to update everyone on what they said today!!

Thanks for the update! As much as I feel like I'm being strung along, OSU would definitely be a great place. Best,

I called OSU yesterday and they said they are reviewing their final set of applications. Within the next couple weeks we should expect our files to be closed or chosen for their final set of interview invites (10 interviews left to be distributed, good luck all :luck:)

Anyone from Feb. 2 interviews hear back from OSU yet? They said 10 days from the interview date and I'm just curious (/anxious) if anyone hear back yet.

I haven't yet...I think its ten BUSINESS days. So that would be Monday, but that is a holiday so hopefully Tuesday?

"Deferred - Decision Pending"

Hoping for better news next week I guess

Last edited:
"Deferred - Decision Pending"

Hoping for better news next week I guess

best of luck to you; I've been "Deferred - Decision Pending" since 10/16/2008 and I don't think it looks good for us... I don't know of anyone who has been deferred this cycle having any change in their application status. Somebody please chime in if they were deferred and later got a decision, good or bad.

We won't hear from them until after May 15th. The "deferred" list is essentially a waitlist. Once May 15th rolls around, if OSU does not have their target/expected number of acceptances, they re-evaluate all the deferred applicants and chose from among them to fill the remaining spots.

Essentially we're not being rejected becuase they will consider us if they a large number of their acceptances offers are turned down circa May 15.

Anybody know if they're still handing out interview invitations?

I think they are done with interview invitations. I got my interview invitation in early October and the earliest date available was early February. I could be wrong though.

I interviewed with Ohio State near end of September, and got a "deferred decision" status on Oct. 16. Then four months later (today), it changed and I got accepted! Don't give up if you have a deferred decision, they're still accepting people!

Good luck to all!

I interviewed with Ohio State near end of September, and got a "deferred decision" status on Oct. 16. Then four months later (today), it changed and I got accepted! Don't give up if you have a deferred decision, they're still accepting people!

Good luck to all!

Congrats!
On the contrary, I interviewed in February and just got a deferred decision today. So frustrating!!

anyone attending the second look day??? It is on April 18th.

Good luck to all!
Same here! I interviewed on the very first day of the season and was deferred until this morning! Accepted! Wahoo! I thought I was going to have to wait until May 15 at least.

Same here! I interviewed on the very first day of the season and was deferred until this morning! Accepted! Wahoo! I thought I was going to have to wait until May 15 at least.

Congrats. Did you send in any letters of update/intent during this period or did they just automatically accept u?

I didn't send them any letters or updates since my secondary application.

Congrats. Did you send in any letters of update/intent during this period or did they just automatically accept u?

I believe I sent them a letter of interest in November or so. I had actually forgotten that I had! I didn't really have anything to update them on since I already graduated and I've just been working. All I said was that I really liked their school and I'd love to go there. Note that it was just a letter of interest and not a letter of intent. Who knows if that had any bearing on my admission decision as I didn't get accepted until 3, almost 4 months later.

Oh and I did not send any thank you notes after the interview. I think I only did for one of the four schools where I've been accepted.

So if you're wondering about sending an update letter I'd say go for it. Doesn't seem you've got anything to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.