2008-2009 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About how long does it take to get the notification? I would love to hear back from financial aid before June (which is what they told me), but I just submitted all of my paperwork a week ago.

All I received was a scholarship notification; however, the rest of my packet will not arrive until June

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called and found out I'm top quartile for the wait list.. I just hope it moves.

Those that have recently withdrawn, did the admissions office email you back to confirm the withdrawal? I'm sweating it out because they haven't contacted me and they're not answering the phone. I just don't want to get my other acceptance revoked! And yes I realize I'm being somewhat paranoid.

Those that have recently withdrawn, did the admissions office email you back to confirm the withdrawal? I'm sweating it out because they haven't contacted me and they're not answering the phone. I just don't want to get my other acceptance revoked! And yes I realize I'm being somewhat paranoid.

I actually called yesterday to confirm they received it.

Just call

So, I'm not trying to be a jerk on here, but does anyone know if there is a place where the people who will be attending MCW should be chatting?

I would just like to get to know some of the other students that I'll be meeting this fall.

So, if you've already been accepted and plan on attending, please post a note on here and maybe we can start our own thread.

For those of you still waiting for an answer, good luck and I hope to meet you this fall!

So, I'm not trying to be a jerk on here, but does anyone know if there is a place where the people who will be attending MCW should be chatting?

I would just like to get to know some of the other students that I'll be meeting this fall.

So, if you've already been accepted and plan on attending, please post a note on here and maybe we can start our own thread.

For those of you still waiting for an answer, good luck and I hope to meet you this fall!

There's a facebook group for our class: http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=32636289698

Congrats on the acceptance, and see you in the fall!

Just got called! I was in 2nd quartile

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got called! I was in 2nd quartile

Congratulations. Does this mean that they are done with the 1st quartile? I was under the impression that the 1st quartile will become exhausted before they moved to the second quartile which is where I am. That's great news for me to if that is correct.

I would assume so, but I don't know. Didn't think to ask. Just so happy to get in :laugh:

I just got the call today too! 1st quartile. I'm excited to be part of MCW.

Has anyone so far gotten any sort of packet with orientation details? I have no idea what forms we need to fill out, where/when I have to be at school, etc.

I'd like to know about when stuff like the white coat ceremony might be, just because if my parents want to go, they have to take time off of work well in advance...

I swear I remembered something about there being an orientation website that should be up soon, but heck if I can find a link...

Edit:
Oops... Just went through my email and found the one from May 4th about how its supposed to be up at the end of the month. Guess they're just a little behind.

Last edited:
Has anyone so far gotten any sort of packet with orientation details? I have no idea what forms we need to fill out, where/when I have to be at school, etc.

I'd like to know about when stuff like the white coat ceremony might be, just because if my parents want to go, they have to take time off of work well in advance...

I swear I remembered something about there being an orientation website that should be up soon, but heck if I can find a link...

Edit:
Oops... Just went through my email and found the one from May 4th about how its supposed to be up at the end of the month. Guess they're just a little behind.

And just to let you know now, I'm pretty positive that the white coat ceremony will be on Aug 14, the Friday of orientation week.

Hey, is anyone else moving to Milwaukee from Northwest or from Idaho/Utah? If so, and if you don't have an incredible amount of stuff, we should share a moving truck!

Please let me know! This way, we could both cut our moving expenses almost in half!:D

And just to let you know now, I'm pretty positive that the white coat ceremony will be on Aug 14, the Friday of orientation week.

I actually called about the white coat ceremony. It is Friday, August 14th at 4pm (I think its 4pm). Also, they moved it to a slightly smaller venue than in previous years and each student is only allowed 2 tickets.

Hey everyone, I have a housing question for current medical students who hopefully are still on this forum. I will be an M1 this fall and would preferably like to have a place to myself...something like a studio apartment. I was wondering if any of you knew of a good apartment complex close to the medical college and if not where would be the next best place to look. Thanks for your help.

Hey everyone, I have a housing question for current medical students who hopefully are still on this forum. I will be an M1 this fall and would preferably like to have a place to myself...something like a studio apartment. I was wondering if any of you knew of a good apartment complex close to the medical college and if not where would be the next best place to look. Thanks for your help.

Try the class of '13 thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8331537#post8331537

Does anyone know if spots are set on the waitlist or if writing them a letter or anything can move someones rank up? Also, as they take people off the list, does your rank go up, or will they continue to tell you which quartile or half you were originally in

I got a call today about the waitlist. They said it looked like the list was moving slow and that I wouldn't be offered a spot this year, but I was offered a guaranteed spot for 2010. Pretty exciting, I don't mind waiting a year I really loved the school! I'm still on the list for this year, so hopefully the movement continues.

I got a call today about the waitlist. They said it looked like the list was moving slow and that I wouldn't be offered a spot this year, but I was offered a guaranteed spot for 2010. Pretty exciting, I don't mind waiting a year I really loved the school! I'm still on the list for this year, so hopefully the movement continues.

Did they tell you where on the list you were?

hey spitzy! i was offered the same deal. i'm going to most likely take it and spend a year working and hanging out before med school. hope to see u there!

to sleepy: istwan told me i was the 7th person he offered it to. i was originally in the "lower half" of the waitlist so now i must be in the top 10. so there is hope out there!

Given the same offer (on 7/1) as spitzy and evel. I will be accepting and glad to do so. Looks like we're the first members of the MCW class of 2014!

Given the same offer (on 7/1) as spitzy and evel. I will be accepting and glad to do so. Looks like we're the first members of the MCW class of 2014!

Hi,

Were you in the "lower half" as well? Are you both from wisconsin?

Hey there, how many people off the waitlist are they offering this to? Just curious about how many spots will be left. This and UW are my top two schools!

well as i said i was the 7th person offered, so i don't know beyond that. maybe 10? i went in to see him since i was home for the 4th and he said around 1/3 ppl turn it down and try for other schools.

by may 10 they know the ppl that aren't accepted anywhere. so they're offering this to ppl who aren't in like me. it is much more tempting to take the acceptance a year later to a good school than go through the whole process again with a chance of again having no acceptances.

but i mean the class is 200 ppl. so 7 spots aren't gonna change much

Sweet, thanks, I was just making sure. I heard for some law schools that if you are on the waitlist it is an automatic acceptance for the next year. I had never heard of anything like this for medical schools, I was just hoping that it wasn't the case that they offer it to the whole waitlist :) then i would just be applying for a waitlist position...

Did they officially reject you and then offer you the spot in the 2014 class, or did they just offer you the spot?

I applied this year as well, interviewed late and was put in the top 25% of the alternate list. A few weeks ago I called and was told the only reason I wasn't offered a spot was my 'late completion date' of my app and that I had moved to the top 10 people of the alternate list. Today I was rejected via email.

If any of you that received the deferred offer could post or message me a little more info to help my paranoid mind, that would be great. :)

I still am on 2 alternate lists, but this late in the cycle am not exactly holding my breath....

oh yeah, long time lurker, first time poster!

if u don't mind, may I ask when were u complete last cylce lokkin4moredebt?

small pooled september 3.

If it matters, MCW also has two alternate lists and I am WI resident. OOS moves a lote more then the IS list.

Congrats to the 3 that were offered delayed admissions!

To you three: Did you keep in touch with MCW by sending any updates or letters of interest/intent once you found out that you were put on the waitlist?

Just wondering if being proactive helps or not.

In the lower half of the waitlist, got officially rejected today. No big deal, I have one acceptance already, I just liked MCW better.

I actually did not keep in touch at all. I was in the lower half of the waitlist, and when I found that out I just gave up hope. And the other day I was thinking about it, and I decided to email them just to check and see what the list looked like and Mr. Istwan called me a few hours later with the offer. I had a few D.O. acceptances, but felt much more comfortable waiting for next year because MCW seems to have there stuff together. Let me know if you guys have anymore questions! This waitlist stuff is truly hard on the heart.
Oh and I'm OOS. Are you other delayed entrance people hoping to get in this year? I was so nervous when I was talking to him that I forgot to ask about how likely it looked that we'd get in this year, did you guys happen to ask?

If it helps anyone I'm IS, was initially in the second quartile of the waitlist, and did send an LOI.

I got the call yesterday!!!! I'm in for this year!!

I got the call yesterday!!!! I'm in for this year!!

congrats! I imagine you're trying to scramble to get things in order. Join the facebook group if you haven't http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32636289698 Plenty of people looking for roomies and some interesting discussion on the board about the area. Also, when you get your MCW logins there is a roommate forum in ANGEL.

i am IS and I sent a letter of interest in May. i was small pooled beginning of september i believe, then interviewed end of january. accepted 7/1. i decided to take myself off the waitlist for 2013 so i could spend a year knowing i was in to work and hang out in nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.