2008-2009 Emory Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing in the mail today from Emory :(

Members don't see this ad.

As a former Emory undergrad (2006), My primary concern with emory would be the commute to Grady (20 mins without traffic, up to an hour with traffic) for the 3-4th years. Very little (if any) time is spent in the on-campus hospital as a med student. The tour guide said this was not a big deal, but who knows if he was telling the truth.

The problem I have is that all the other medical schools I have visited dont really mention much about their 3rd and 4th years, so it is tough to know how far the students travel to do their clerkships. For all I know they could be traveling further than the 20 minutes to Grady. Emory could be doing a disservice to itself by giving out too much info on its tours. I feel like some schools make you travel fairly long distances for some rotations but noone applying minds since they dont really hear or ask about it.

And is it that much of a disadvantage? Can't you prevent the problem by living right next to Grady. That seems like it would be more advantageous since most of the rotations will be occurring there.

Any thoughts?

side note:
:laugh: <----- these spazzy emoticons make sdn terrible....
whenever I see posters include them I think the person is a neurotic weirdo that hasnothing better to do than screw around on sdn all day

i hope i didnt just join them

Nothing in the mail for me today, but I called and the letters def. were sent on Tuesday.

If anyone has heard something, let us know!

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem I have is that all the other medical schools I have visited dont really mention much about their 3rd and 4th years, so it is tough to know how far the students travel to do their clerkships. For all I know they could be traveling further than the 20 minutes to Grady. Emory could be doing a disservice to itself by giving out too much info on its tours. I feel like some schools make you travel fairly long distances for some rotations but noone applying minds since they dont really hear or ask about it.

And is it that much of a disadvantage? Can't you prevent the problem by living right next to Grady. That seems like it would be more advantageous since most of the rotations will be occurring there.

Any thoughts?

side note:
:laugh: <----- these spazzy emoticons make sdn terrible....
whenever I see posters include them I think the person is a neurotic weirdo that hasnothing better to do than screw around on sdn all day

i hope i didnt just join them

Its possible that some schools may have similar commutes. But most the ones that I have interviewed at have the med school right next to the hospital. The one other school that I interviewed at that required a commute 3rd and 4th years was University of South Alabama, but the main difference there is you don't have to deal with Atlanta traffic (which you will learn to hate with every fiber of your being).

I'm pretty sure that you will not want to be living near the hospital in the middle of downtown Atlanta for price/safety/noise/sanity reasons. Its not in the nicest part of town and Atlanta has a bit of a reputation for crime in some areas. I think most 3rd and 4th years live closer to campus. Not 100% sure on that though.

I'm not trying to turn anybody off to Emory, it really is a great school. I just wanted to give a little perspective on the setting. And besides, since rotations are at crazy hours med students probably won't be driving during rush hour anyway.

Wow, it's so strange that no SDNers have gotten in this round. When's the next one?

LET, did you get accepted to Emory or are you waiting? Just curious, I thought I read somewhere you were headed to Vandy? Anyway, I'm on a road trip to the ATL right now to re-visit Emory (and meet with financial aid.. Blah..) The only thing I dislike at all about Emory is that stupid price tag :(

LET, did you get accepted to Emory or are you waiting? Just curious, I thought I read somewhere you were headed to Vandy? Anyway, I'm on a road trip to the ATL right now to re-visit Emory (and meet with financial aid.. Blah..) The only thing I dislike at all about Emory is that stupid price tag :(

I interviewed a couple of months ago and didn't hear the first time :)() and apparently I didn't hear this time either :)(!). I'm most likely going to Vandy for many reasons, but I really truly loved Emory when I was there and would have loved to get in and look at financial aid packages, etc. Oh well!

One of my friends just checked his campus mail yesterday and he got the acceptance letter. I guess they did send them out for this cycle already. Anyone know when the next round is?

I was out of town but I just got home and found an acceptance packet in my pile of mail. It was postmarked Feb 2. Emory is my top choice so I couldn't be happier! Dream come true!!!!

I also got the acceptance packet this Saturday. It was dated February 2. Good luck y'all!

Congrats, When did you guys who got acceptances interview?

i guess since no one has asked in a while...are invites still going out? and since emory posted their secondary kind of late, are they having later interview dates?

Feb. 24th is the next acceptance day

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess since no one has asked in a while...are invites still going out? and since emory posted their secondary kind of late, are they having later interview dates?

Their admissions calendar said that interviews go Oct 1 - February 28th, and that the first year class is filled and an alternate list established by March 15th. So there's a couple weeks of interviews left it sounds like! Good luck everyone :)

anyone interview after Jan and get in (yet)?

i know this is mostly speculation, but how many acceptances do you guys think emory's given out so far? has it been a consistent number each time, or will most acceptances go out in march? does anyone know anything about this?

i know this is mostly speculation, but how many acceptances do you guys think emory's given out so far? has it been a consistent number each time, or will most acceptances go out in march? does anyone know anything about this?

They talked to us about this at my interview and they made it seem like they only accept a small-ish number of people prior to March.

Emory is still giving out invites. I just got one this morning. They acknowledged in the email that there are only a few interview dates left.

Unfortunately they assigned me to next Monday Feb 23rd which really isn't monetarily feasible for me. I'm going to withdraw. Wish they had invited me earlier!

thank for the info, linguini,
still waiting for ii . i was complete nov 17. still hope for me :)
EDIT: do you know what other inteview dates they give out?

Last edited:
I'm still hoping for an interview, but I don't like my odds at this juncture.

Its possible that some schools may have similar commutes. But most the ones that I have interviewed at have the med school right next to the hospital. The one other school that I interviewed at that required a commute 3rd and 4th years was University of South Alabama, but the main difference there is you don't have to deal with Atlanta traffic (which you will learn to hate with every fiber of your being).

I'm pretty sure that you will not want to be living near the hospital in the middle of downtown Atlanta for price/safety/noise/sanity reasons. Its not in the nicest part of town and Atlanta has a bit of a reputation for crime in some areas. I think most 3rd and 4th years live closer to campus. Not 100% sure on that though.

I'm not trying to turn anybody off to Emory, it really is a great school. I just wanted to give a little perspective on the setting. And besides, since rotations are at crazy hours med students probably won't be driving during rush hour anyway.

Number of people did live in midtown which is near Grady. I lived in midtown during my 4th year and literally it took me less then 5 mins to get to Grady. My apt complex was very nice and I had no problem with safety. It would take me 15 mins to get to Emory campus. During the first two year most people do live close Emory but during 3/4th good number of people do move to live closer to Grady. The commute is not that bad, as long as you don't take the highway. There are lots of back roads you can take. Even at the busiest time, it took me to go from Emory to Grady at most 25-30 mins. But since most of your rotation start early you really don't run into traffic.

So tomorrow, February 24th, is one of the days that Emory said they would send out letters of admission by. Does anyone know if the admissions office will inform me if my decision was sent out if I call them tomorrow?
I'm assuming its good news if they say yes since they will probably hold most of their rejections and wait lists till their final mailing day.

Just trying to see if I can deduce my decision earlier.
If anyone has tried this tactic, please reply.

So tomorrow, February 24th, is one of the days that Emory said they would send out letters of admission by. Does anyone know if the admissions office will inform me if my decision was sent out if I call them tomorrow?
I'm assuming its good news if they say yes since they will probably hold most of their rejections and wait lists till their final mailing day.

I just got my letter today! I interviewed Friday, Feb. 13th :eek:. Letter is dated 2/20, postmarked 2/21. Good luck to those of you still waiting!!! :xf:

Congrats jdover!!

As for me, I'm pretty much expecting a rejection. Any idea when those are going to be sent out? What's the March send-out date?

Congrats jdover!!

As for me, I'm pretty much expecting a rejection. Any idea when those are going to be sent out? What's the March send-out date?

hehe thanks :). I didn't think I'd get in either and you're a much stronger applicant than I am so have faith. Oh and if you really like Emory so much, I'd be more than happy to trade that full-ride to Vandy of yours for my Emory acceptance...jk :D.

But yeah, I was really surprised when I got the letter, as I wasn't expecting to hear back until after tomorrow. Either way, I don't want to scare all of you who haven't heard back yet, I'm sure they haven't sent out all the acceptances yet for the 24th and/or your letters are in the mail...so hang in there :thumbup:

they said the last batch of decisions will be mailed march 10 or so.

are interviews pretty much done?

This is apparently their last week of interviews. So, the only invites that will come now are by phone and only if someone else cancels.

^^ thanks. although disheartening at least there is some certainty

dr quack, did you call?

I received an acceptance package today! I interviewed back in November. O to have choices!! :love:

Does anyone know if acceptances are given out proportionally throughout the interview cycle, or are the majority of acceptances given out after all candidates are interviewed?

I got an acceptance package today too :D ... Does that mean we really only have 3 days to get all documents to the financial aid office?

I am not saying it is a bad problem to have... but I feel soooo confused about where to go...

I thought I knew :idea:, then I checked the mail today...:confused:

Sigh...I know I have zero reason to complain but I would have loved an Emory acceptance. I really really loved the school. Congrats to everyone who's gotten in!

It seems that the clerkship years are predominantly done at Grady. Does anyone know how much time (if any) is spent at Emory's own hospitals?

It seems that the clerkship years are predominantly done at Grady. Does anyone know how much time (if any) is spent at Emory's own hospitals?

it's very rare -- but there are options to work at emory university hospital and other private hospitals like crawford long. i've been to all three and grady is definitely the BEST hospital to work at in the atlanta area. it has the most eclectic group of patients and has some of the best physicians you could train under. even the med students that i've talked to at emory said the same thing. so, i know emory hospital looks inviting, but grady's not that bad either :)

it's very rare -- but there are options to work at emory university hospital and other private hospitals like crawford long. i've been to all three and grady is definitely the BEST hospital to work at in the atlanta area. it has the most eclectic group of patients and has some of the best physicians you could train under. even the med students that i've talked to at emory said the same thing. so, i know emory hospital looks inviting, but grady's not that bad either :)

That's the impression I got too from talking to some of the med students during interview. It's interesting though that EUH is right next door to the med school but is not a major training site.

Hey guys I got a quick question.

I misplaced the card Emory gave me that had information on where to send a update/letter of interest.

Do any of you guys happen to happen to have the email/mailing address that they said for us to send a letter to?

Thanks

Hey guys I got a quick question.

I misplaced the card Emory gave me that had information on where to send a update/letter of interest.

Do any of you guys happen to happen to have the email/mailing address that they said for us to send a letter to?

Thanks

I don't know where they told you to send stuff, but I emailed mine to Dr. Schwartz, Erica Black, and the general admissions email address. You can search from the website:
http://med.emory.edu/admissions/contactus.cfm

On another note, I just submitted FAFSA.
Does anyone else hate the collegeboard profile? Most ridiculous thing ever.
I want to die.

just got confirmation that interview season is over

I don't know where they told you to send stuff, but I emailed mine to Dr. Schwartz, Erica Black, and the general admissions email address. You can search from the website:
http://med.emory.edu/admissions/contactus.cfm

On another note, I just submitted FAFSA.
Does anyone else hate the collegeboard profile? Most ridiculous thing ever.
I want to die.

Hey, thanks for the info.

hi all!! has anyone who interviewed 2/16 been accepted?? pm me please...

Does anyone know if acceptances are given out proportionally throughout the interview cycle, or are the majority of acceptances given out after all candidates are interviewed?

Any takers?

Any takers?

Not sure if it's a majority (meaning >50%), but the impression I got from the interview/admissions time line is that there is a substantial group of people who are accepted once they are done interviewing everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.