2008-2008 East Carolina University (Brody) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well i just got waitlisted today, I interviewed wayyy back in october...so to still not have an answer...isn't it great guys? brody is already by far the slowest decisionmaker and then the waitlist...it is like salt in the wound.

My stats if curious...26S and 4.0 GPA graduated from ECU, first time applicant, resident of wilmington,nc

i really thought that would be enough to be a shoe-in for ecu, but who knows what lies in this wait-list business. I really didn't waste my time in all of these rural clinics in greenville surrounding areas so that i could NOT go to brody...even though it is a small and boring place. Still life and girl chasin, keep me sane ...**** I'm applying to Ross their application says 2 week turnaround...actually when I applied to a couple DO schools I got a 2-3 day turnaround for interview and one school 48 hour decision post-interview...ya all they had was waitlist or reject, timing is everything

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All!

Congratulations to those who were accepted to ECU! Good luck to those who are on the waitlist and to those who did not get in, keep your head up, you WILL get in to school.

I plan on applying to ECU next year and I wanted to ask you all what were your stats when you appled (GPA, MCAT, etc.) What areas of medicine are you interested in pursing. I am debating between pathology, hand surgery and rheumatology. Are any of you nontraditional applicants?

Anything you say is greatly appreciated!
Is this for wled ppl or accepted ppl...waitlist 36+ and 3.9+ with research, volunteering, sports..etc.

I guess I dont fit well with ECUs mission statement or maybe they just dont like me lol.

Good luck to everyone!!

This is for everyone, waitlisted and accepted.

Are you going to reapply next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all the decisions waitlists or acceptances? It seems no one has been rejected in this recent last batch of decisions. I live in DC so I hope to hear today!

Got the letter yesterday. It was dated May 12th, I live near Raleigh. Good luck to those still waiting to hear and for the waitlisters, I hope there is movement soon.

Well, if this makes anyone happy. Last year, someone got wait listed May 10th 2008 and got off the wait list May 16th 2008 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=436063&page=11. We all know that things are different every year but there might still be hope. I believe there should be some movement on the wait list next week. I started studying for my MCAT today and I ordered Exam Crackers. I can't keep waiting to get off ECU's wait list especially if 6 months was not enough for them to make a decision on me.

I guess folks that are passionate about global health don't really stand a chance at ECU...

good luck people :)

I called the office today to see if I could find out my relative place on the waitlist. I was informed that the list was not ranked; however, not all of the waitlist applicants are reviewed again. Does anyone know how this process is actually working? It seems that there is some kind of a ranking. Also, she said that the list has already seen movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know we will be contacted by phone, e-mail, or snail-mail in the event that they pick our number.

Waitlisted here....the list is 80 long

Does this mean that they extended waitlist offers to 80 people or have 80 people already turned in their form accepting a place on the list?:confused:

Does this mean that they extended waitlist offers to 80 people or have 80 people already turned in their form accepting a place on the list?:confused:

I'm sure this means that they extended waitlist offers to 80 people. Movement on the waitlist today means some people are going to get good news in the mail tmr. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones. Good luck people :xf:

lynn said there were enough on the waitlist to fill the class. how do you know they come via mail?

I was informed by the office that if someone is selected from the alternate list they will usually be notified first by a phone call and later by mail.

If the waitlist is not ranked then how do they determine who comes off the list first. Surely they don't hold a committee meeting every time there is an open spot. Does anybody have insight into the process?

Hi everyone,

I got into ECU by way of a phone call last Monday, May 12. I also got off of the alternate list at Wake Forest a few days later.

I am having a very hard time with the decision and would appreciate any advice that people can give...

Of course cost is a potential factor, even though I know I could eventually pay off Wake if that's what turns out to be the best option. On one hand, I don't want to squander an opportunity to go to a great school in ECU at a very low price. On the other hand, I don't want to deny what is probably a more nationally prestigious school in Wake simply based on cost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am in a similiar position to you...except I haven't gotten into Wake yet. I was recently told I was in the top 3rd/in a good position and to send interest letters. With that said, I am still weighing the pros and cons in the event that I have a choice to make. Prior to my ECU acceptance Wake was my first choice but now I am having a really really hard time passing up the cheapest instate tuition in the country at an amazing school.

I spoke with my uncle who is an anesthesiologist and went to a private med school up north...he has been paying back his loans for 17 years. He basically said that coming out of school with under 50,000 in loans (my living expenses are taken care of) is priceless and looking back the decision would be an easy one for him. Easier said than done though. I understand the "prestige" associated with Wake....maybe the more "cutting edge" technology at your fingertips, but your experience in med school is ultimately going to be what you make of it. you will have amazing experiences at either place. How happy would you be though if you go to ECU...love it...get the residency you want/worked for all for 10,000 a year rather than 160,000 plus a lot of interest? Do you want to practice in NC? Wake gets a slight edge on location though....an hour from my family who I am very close to.

Tough choice all around. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I got into ECU by way of a phone call last Monday, May 12. I also got off of the alternate list at Wake Forest a few days later.

I am having a very hard time with the decision and would appreciate any advice that people can give...

Of course cost is a potential factor, even though I know I could eventually pay off Wake if that's what turns out to be the best option. On one hand, I don't want to squander an opportunity to go to a great school in ECU at a very low price. On the other hand, I don't want to deny what is probably a more nationally prestigious school in Wake simply based on cost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
wake

care to elaborate??

as i said i went to wake undergrad and so i feel very comfortable there, and there are many things that i love about wake. at the same time, i'm not sure if i like them 160-180K more than a school which has a respectable ranking and excellent curriculum at ECU.

i'm curious as to how my opportunities post med school shake out differently depending on going to ECU or Wake. The primary care rankings are similar, and the research rankings are of course not at all, but would me being published at Duke prior to med school (which I will be)compensate for that difference??

And, if I want to go into a competitive specialty (not sure yet) would I be better served by going to Wake? How much so?

in the end the choice is yours...a lot of it has to do with what you want to specialize in. wake has the clout. i dont know the average board scores for each school, but i would imagine wakes is higher. your usmle scores will largely dictate what kind of residency you get. having said that, sometimes the clout can go a long way. its a great school and area (im from winston and work in the hospital system where 80% of all the docs went to wake). i didnt get in but if i had i would def go.

Look at ECUs match lists...every year they match people into derm, anesthesiology, urology, etc, etc, etc...all competitive residencies are matched into just in smaller numbers. Keep in mind the class size is 76 so while ECU matches 3 into anesthesiology and Wake matches 10 a lot of that is because of class size. Yes, ECU matches more into primary care because lots of people go there with the intention of going into primary care in NC. Wake has the clout for sure....but does it really have 200,000+ worth of it? Get good board scores and stay in the top 10-15% of your class and the opportunities coming out of both school are the same....just with different price tags.

Again if I get in off Wake's waitlist this is a tough choice but I think you need to re-evaluate what a 10,000/year tuition can mean for you post med school

I agree that looking at the match lists it's possible to place into competitive residencies out of ECU, especially in the Southeast. The advantage with Wake to me seems to be that its influence is more national than ECU's, and that ECU may have more of a "ceiling" than Wake does. Not sure that's the right way to phrase it, but my guess from the physicians I've talked to is that beyond residency, your med school is still looked at somewhat. Any high ranking physician in their division that I've talked to (at both Duke and Harvard in my case) have basically told me I should go to Wake no questions asked.

I guess I'm sort of leaning Wake at this particular moment, in addition to the reasons described earlier, I would put it like this...

I don't think (at least I hope not haha) there will be a time when I'm paying back loans from Wake and I think, "Holy crap I made a big mistake not going to ECU because I got the same education at a much higher cost and I could've gotten into the same residency out of ECU"... naturally I would assume that I will value my education at Wake no matter the cost (provided it is what I think it can be).

On the other hand, I could foresee a time when I'm looking for a faculty position in the Northeast/Midwest/West Coast in a competitive field and I think, "I wonder if going to Wake may have made a difference in how I'm perceived as a candidate looking at my overall CV"

You guys are actually leaning in the right direction. I hope everyone that have a decision to make settles for Wake or other schools. If two/three people settles for wake, that might be all it takes for me to get off ECU's waitlist. ECU is all I've got left. :xf:

I'm on waitlists for both ECU and Wake and I know if I had to choose, it would be a difficult decision. I think I would have to go with my gut feeling as to which school fits best.

Then again, I turned down Duke for undergrad and instead went to UNC because I knew I wanted to eventually go to med school and didn't want any debt to interfere with my decision(i.e. if I had lots of undergrad debt, I'd probably choose ECU).

Has anyone heard anything yet? I was waitlisted May 14th...they are so secretive, it doesn't help that Lyn doesn't like me...every other school in the whole world I know of will tell u if u are top/middle/bottom 3rd, brody wouldn't tell me how many, its not ranked, etc. everyone brings up good points...then how do they know who to call, it's gotta be a crap shoot...I just wish I knew how real the chance....but then again i jus need to know where the hell i need to get a place to live...waitlists don't cut it...haha

hey guys, I was accepted in December and will attend ECU this fall!!!!

i chose ECU over wake forest because I couldnt justify paying 250k in loans+ interest over ECU's cheap tuition.

Has anyone called recently to see how many people are still on the alternate list?

maybe ill call today. i guess all the other posters either got in or took their name out of the hat. hopefully it is the latter. when i talked to her she said that most of the action is over by june 1st so im not really holding out hope.

Hi All!

Congratulations to those who were accepted to ECU! Good luck to those who are on the waitlist and to those who did not get in, keep your head up, you WILL get in to school.

I plan on applying to ECU next year and I wanted to ask you all what were your stats when you appled (GPA, MCAT, etc.) What areas of medicine are you interested in pursing. I am debating between pathology, hand surgery and rheumatology. Are any of you nontraditional applicants?

Anything you say is greatly appreciated!

36, 3.4 sGPA, 4.0 graduate gpa. Little/no research. 3rd time applicant (had to RE-apply twice)

It is really dead in here!! Anyone heard anything yet? I guess there's not much movement on the waitlist this year.

hey guys, I was accepted in December and will attend ECU this fall!!!!

i chose ECU over wake forest because I couldnt justify paying 250k in loans+ interest over ECU's cheap tuition.

I have several MS3/MS2 friends at wake that turned down ECU and could justify it. If you're in NC, go visit both schools again and see where you feel more comfortable....i'd probably go to wake if i were making that choice

nevertheless, it should be an individual decision based on your comfort in either taking out massive loans or comfort in going to a lower ranked school (though it is still a great one) with a greater primary care focus.

Just going through the motions here....im waiting like everyone else.
there really isnt anything else to say unless you have talked to lynn and she has new shocking info (something more than, the list isnt ranked and we'll call you if you are accepted)

I just got into Wake Forest, so I withdrew my alternate status today. Good Luck!

I heard by mail. I know from an insider at Brody, the class is full with only a few people backlogged on the waitlist and no more expected movement. I would not quite give up hope yet, though....

For those accepted off the waitlist, when did you get your financial aid information?

I heard by mail. I know from an insider at Brody, the class is full with only a few people backlogged on the waitlist and no more expected movement. I would not quite give up hope yet, though....

From what Lyn told me last week, there are around 80 people still backlogged on the waitlist and there is little expected movement.

It sounds like a bleak picture. I guess that I had better go ahaid and submit next years AMCAS. I wonder how they will like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.