2008-2008 East Carolina University (Brody) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long did it take for you to hear back from them post-interview about your acceptance?

Interviewed Sep 5, and received notice Oct 15. It usually takes longer than that I think, but I am a 3rd time reapplicant, and have improved my stats dramatically. I think it can vary from ~1 month to 6 months or so - it just depends.

Members don't see this ad.

It took about 4 weeks to hear back- but i am also a reapplicant.

It took about 4 weeks to hear back- but i am also a reapplicant.

Im assuming that you were accepted? Did you recently interview, as in sometime in November or did you interview before then? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I interviewed in october, heard in nov.

so tell me reapplicants, what did you guys do/what did ecu suggest in order to improve your application in order to get accepted?

so tell me reapplicants, what did you guys do/what did ecu suggest in order to improve your application in order to get accepted?

Mine was pretty simple: pull up your GPA and pull up your MCAT. Everything else was fine. Obviously, I did both. Retook more undergrad upper-level science courses, and am now doing a SMP program. Retook the MCAT and did much better.

Definitely worth going to talk to Dr. Peden if you do not get in. He will (try) to give you as much feedback as possible.

It seems like those of you who have been rejected have got pretty reasonable stats (some quite excellent stats). I'm guessing the ability to convince the committee that you are dying to live in the middle of nowhere and serve the underserved is a big deciding factor, here. I know a girl that got in two years ago with an MCAT of 24 and a less than stellar GPA and I'm betting her being originally from a small town is why.

Last year, I got an interview (and was rejected). I remember one of the docs saying how many new doctors would choose to work at offices in rural areas but commute long distances to get there. He thought this was absurd, which made me feel pretty uncomfortable because I was thinking that sounded about right. I think I'd be pretty happy living 15 minutes from a big town in one direction and 45 minutes from the rural area I was working in the other direction. I am annoyed that we are punished for having grown up in big towns. Oh well.

so i guess having a masters degree in global health from a prestigious international institution really puts me at a disadvantage for ECU, eh?

interview invite today, will let you know the outcome for ecu when i probably find out in may! :)

Congrats!

When did ECU receive your secondary?

so i guess having a masters degree in global health from a prestigious international institution really puts me at a disadvantage for ECU, eh?

interview invite today, will let you know the outcome for ecu when i probably find out in may! :)

According to this admittedly un-scientific survey: http://www.mdapplicants.com/schoolsummary.php?schoolid=15
the applicants that are accepted to ECU have significantly lower GPAs and MCAT scores than those rejected. Yet another reason to think that the key to acceptance really is in convincing the admissions committee that you are desperate to practice primary care medicine in rural, preferably Eastern, North Carolina. The truth is that I don't think I want to practice rural medicine and I refuse to lie through my teeth to the admissions committee just to be accepted. So I may have to go to a more expensive school, in another state, and chances are I won't come back to NC if I do. Oh well.

Florida, here I come. :D

:thumbup: That's good news for me. My GPA will certainly be less than stellar, but I want to practice in a rural area of eastern NC. I grew up in a rural part of the state, but it was in the piedmont. Brody is my top school by a long shot. I hope I can convince them of my intentions when I apply this summer.

Umm so, anything new on this front? I interviewed on Halloween, and am still waiting. I don't know if this is good or not, but we shall see I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm so, anything new on this front? I interviewed on Halloween, and am still waiting. I don't know if this is good or not, but we shall see I suppose.

I haven't heard anything yet either and it doesn't appear that anyone has been rejected in a while so I think that the adcom has gotten slightly behind with the holidays. You can always call and ask how many times you've been presented to the committee.

I haven't heard anything yet either and it doesn't appear that anyone has been rejected in a while so I think that the adcom has gotten slightly behind with the holidays. You can always call and ask how many times you've been presented to the committee.

i might need to do that. do you know how often the committe meets (i.e. every couple weeks)? All I remember is that I should be presented the first time within 4 weeks of interview, but probably not be accepted or rejected at that time.

i might need to do that. do you know how often the committe meets (i.e. every couple weeks)? All I remember is that I should be presented the first time within 4 weeks of interview, but probably not be accepted or rejected at that time.

I dont know how often they meet. But I can tell you that I called at the 5.5 week mark, and I had yet to be presented to the admissions committee. So I guess they are running behind somewhat since on the sheet they hand out at the interview indicates that most applicants are presented to the committee within 2-3 weeks of their interview. My guess is that with the Thanksgiving holiday and then winter break, the committee's schedule was messed up. Just give them a call and ask if you're curious, they were really friendly when I called.

I went through the process last year. It took about 3 1/2 months to reject me. Initially, everyone gets placed in front of the committee and usually they decide to table your application. Then, weeks after, they look at you again but with more students to compare you to. They say no news is good news. I say, if the committee likes me then vote me in! (Then news will be good news)

BTW...all you guys who think you have to say you want to practice rural medicine at ecu are wrong. They are there to serve the state. (which will be grossly short of neuro-surgens in the next ten years) Both tour guides during my interview this year stated they didnt want to be rural docs in their interview.

sweet dude, i am coming up on three months, like mentioned earlier though there were a lot of holidays during those three months.
i agree with you last paragraph, but want to point out that if that really is what you want to do, then it does not hurt to mention it at your interview, right?

East Carolinas mission statement is to increase the diversity of the physician population, to service the state of NC especially eastern NC, and to increase the number of primary care physicians in these areas....They state this on their website...D they reject people for not agreeing with their mission statement?? who knows...but it does make a difference.

I received my 'you're a reject' letter in the mail today. I guess I am not going to attend the party capital of the state... just kidding. I would have been thrilled to attend ECU. Good Luck to the rest still waiting.

I received my 'you're a reject' letter in the mail today. I guess I am not going to attend the party capital of the state... just kidding. I would have been thrilled to attend ECU. Good Luck to the rest still waiting.

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure that I should keep a lookout for when my mail arrives today to see if I got the boot as well since we interviewed around the same time. What part of the state do you live in? I'm just curious as to see when one would arrive for me if it were coming.

Does anyone know if it helps to send a letter of interest? I interviewed at the beginning of December and when I called they told me I had been before the committee once and no decision was made...

I'm really interested in ECU but currently work at UNC Med and think that might actually hurt me...

Does anyone know if it helps to send a letter of interest? I interviewed at the beginning of December and when I called they told me I had been before the committee once and no decision was made...

I'm really interested in ECU but currently work at UNC Med and think that might actually hurt me...

How long ago did you call?

If you have something to update them with....I say go for it.

I called on Thursday so a week ago. She said I would go before the committee again very soon... but who knows what that means.

Rejected

Interviewed 9/9
Received letter 2/11

Sorry :( That's no good! I guess that means the committee met again...

Any news? Has anyone called the office to see when the adcom meets again?

So I just got my interview at Brody!

It's very late in the cycle, so does anyone know if they still have spots left?

Also, do I have a chance getting in being from Western NC?

I heard they are very particular about residents and being from the coast.

I'm sure they have spots left. It's just a matter of how many... They apparently send out acceptances into the month of April

Hey, those of you who have interviewed. How many separate interviews do you have? Are they one-on-one or group? How long are they? Are they open application or closed?

Just trying to get a feel for what it will be like. I interview on March 3.

Thanks!

I had two one-on-one interviews that lasted about 30 minutes each. If memory serves me, I think the interviews were closed-file. For more info and for actual interview questions, tips, etc, go to the "Interview Feedback" link at the top of the page, click on MD, and find Brody School of Medicine at ECU under allopathic medical schools. The posts there helped me out SO MUCH when preparing for interviews because you get feedback from people that just went through it. And don't forget to leave feedback of your own too!
Good luck! The interviews at ECU were so laid back! You'll do great!
:thumbup:

I just got the interview invite email yesterday and I applied very early in the cycle. I am a reapplicant and thought I was just getting the cold shoulder or something this time. I am curious why they would have waited so long to say anything to me.

I sent in my application early, too. I don't know why they wait so long sometimes. I am just glad to have the interview.

And thanks cuppy, for the interview information. I will definitely check out the interview feedback section!

any acceptance/rejection/waitlist news? also, any ideas about when the committee meets again or how often they meet?

I interviewed Dec 5th and still have not heard anything. Last year it took them about 3 months to send me the bad news. I figure I will hear sometime next week.

This is my first time posting but I've been following this thread closely...

I interviewed in mid-February and I'm anxiously awaiting some good news...I hope it comes soon!:xf:

Good luck to everyone else who is still playing the waiting game :luck:

Any thoughts on sending a letter of interest or intent? Not much has changed with me since my interview so I don't really have any updates to send them but ECU is my top choice so I just want to increase my chances of acceptance as much as possible.

geez...you can hear the crickets chirping on this thread....

seriously, has no one heard anything from ECU recently? has brody decided to accept no one this year? its march 30th--the BIG DAY that all schools have to report their decisions to AMCAS....no word at all?

i, for one, am starting to lose all hope.

geez...you can hear the crickets chirping on this thread....

seriously, has no one heard anything from ECU recently? has brody decided to accept no one this year? its march 30th--the BIG DAY that all schools have to report their decisions to AMCAS....no word at all?

i, for one, am starting to lose all hope.

I know a couple of people that interviewed back in September/October and they still haven't heard a thing. ECU's class is so small that I doubt a ton of people from SDN will be reporting acceptances.

Last edited:
Are you sure that march 30th is the day? Can you provide a link? Peden told us after my interview that interviews would be conducted through april.

Are you sure that march 30th is the day? Can you provide a link? Peden told us after my interview that interviews would be conducted through april.

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/applicants.htm

"By March 30 of the matriculation year, each school have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."

Thanks for the link. I wouldnt give up hope though; Theyll make 130 offers before they have their class. When did you interview?

i interviewed nov. 24th...
ugh.
im expecting the rejection letter anytime now.

I'm glad we have people talking about ECU, its about time. My friend got rejected from ECU two weeks ago. I interviewed December 4th and he interviewed December 6th. I don't know if this is good news for me considering the fact that he has a higher MCAT score. Well I just called Mrs. Lynn Coward she didn't pick up so I left her a message. I will let you guys know what she says.

there's life on this thread!!! woohoo!

haven't heard a thing here either, but my experiences probably don't match what ECU has in mind, as most of my work/research has been done globally. Even though I'm SO looking forward to finally coming home this summer.

Nevertheless, everyone should def keep their hopes up. As we've all been told, no news is good news. If you don't have a reject letter yet, they are still considering your app so that is something to get EXCITED about!! yesssssss! :D:):D:)

There's been too much pessimism lately on many of the school specific threads, let's not give up yet PEOPLE!!! If you really and truly want to be an amazing doctor, you will be. Everything happens for the best and nobody can keep you out of med school forever!

I interviewed dec 5th. Ive been rejected once and I did everything they told me to do after my exit interview. There isnt much else to do. Im not sure how important numbers are; they matter initially, but the adcom will pay attention to what the 4 evaluators put on your bottom line.

I interviewed early october and have heard nothing...I called on Tuesday and was told that my application has gone to the comittee several times but they have yet to make a decision. Most recently was a few weeks ago....was told all decisions will be made by mid May. obviously

Mrs. Coward told me the same exact thing. I just hope that its worth the wait. I don't want to wait till may and still get rejected. Well, good luck to everyone waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.