Yayy for Podiatry!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whateverdiamond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thumbs up!

What do you guys think?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/jobs/chi-podiatry-career-guide-20120131,0,4756639.story

Podiatry careers on strong footing

Tribune Media Services January 31, 2012

For someone looking for job security in a slow-growth economy, the field of podiatric medicine might be a step in the right direction.

A study from the University at Albany in New York shows that the nation's eight colleges of podiatric medicine would have to triple their graduates between now and 2014 to meet the nation's population growth.

diseases and injuries to the foot, resulting from an aging U.S. population, the increasing prevalence of obesity – which places greater stresses and strains on the feet – and the growing number of individuals with diabetes.

The profession's need for more doctors has also spurred higher salaries, as it was recently listed on Forbes' list of "America's 25 Best Paying Jobs." A recent APMA survey found podiatrists enjoy a median salary of $160,000, and many earn upwards of $500,000 a year.

"The field of podiatry is one of the most specialized in all of medicine. And anyone who has become a podiatrist knows that the payoffs associated with becoming a doctor of podiatric medicine are priceless," says Dr. Christian Robertozzi. "But when it all boils down to it, most medical students are concerned about what their salaries will be once they enter the workforce. Because the supply is less than the demand for podiatrists at the moment, the median income for our profession is at an all-time high."

Numerous options

Podiatrists specialize in treatment of various foot ailments: corns, calluses, ingrown toenails, bunions, heel spurs and arch problems as well as ankle and foot injuries, infections and foot complaints associated with diseases. To treat these problems, podiatrists prescribe drugs, order physical therapy, set fractures and perform surgery. They also fit corrective inserts called orthotics as well as design plaster casts and custom-made shoes.

Since the number of foot doctors is relatively small compared to other health professions, there are more opportunities for work outside the traditional practice, such as consulting for an athletic shoe company or designing footwear.

Dr. James McGuire, a podiatrist at Temple University in Philadelphia, says podiatric medicine also offers many career specialties, such as surgery, sports medicine, biomechanics, geriatrics, pediatrics and orthopedics.

"You can do far more in podiatric medicine," McGuire says. "You can really be a big fish in a small pond, and have an opportunity to do a lot more interesting things than in other areas of medicine."

All states require a license to practice podiatric medicine, although each defines its own requirements. Typically a state license requires at least 90 hours of undergraduate study and completion of a four-year post-graduate program at a college of podiatric medicine. In most states, a postdoctoral residency program lasts at least two years.

For more information about a career in podiatry, go to apma.org.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take that article with a grain of salt. Unbridled optimism is just as bad as abject pessimism. Best to just be of aware the pros/cons of the field and remain even-keeled.

:clap:

We still need to get more students interested in podiatry. I visited my pre-health advisor yesterday and she was so surprised that I was pre-pod and happy she finally "found" one. Apparently, in my university of 25,000, I am the only one who has been to the office interested in podiatry for a while!

Me too buddy, haha I remember the confused looks on his face when I said podiatry.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Podiatrists specialize in treatment of various foot ailments: corns, calluses, ingrown toenails, bunions, heel spurs and arch problems as well as ankle and foot injuries, infections and foot complaints associated with diseases. To treat these problems, podiatrists prescribe drugs, order physical therapy, set fractures and perform surgery. They also fit corrective inserts called orthotics as well as design plaster casts and custom-made shoes.
Wait...what?!

I thought I was going to school to eventually work in medicine with infants, children and adolescents....

Joke. I just read that line and remembered when someone from my school told a story of a girl who dropped out after a couple months because she was confused about pediatric/podiatric. All the grief and money that could have been saved by reading that one paragraph...

Wait...what?!

I thought I was going to school to eventually work in medicine with infants, children and adolescents....

Joke. I just read that line and remembered when someone from my school told a story of a girl who dropped out after a couple months because she was confused about pediatric/podiatric. All the grief and money that could have been saved by reading that one paragraph...
Please tell me that you're joking... that's crazy!

Wait...what?!

That's hard for me to believe. She never would have gotten past the shadowing part, let alone the interview part without figuring it out.

Didn't say it was true, merely that I was told the story.

I just read that line and remembered when someone from my school told a story of a girl who dropped out after a couple months because she was confused about pediatric/podiatric. All the grief and money that could have been saved by reading that one paragraph...

That story has to be urban legend because I heard about the same girl back in 1994 when I started school.

Ah, the inside jokes to podiatry.

There's the fact that it sounds like pediatrics, and the fact that everyone seems to ask my why I like feet.

Any others?