Yale medical students issue demands for diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was presenting a patient to an attending earlier this year; really nitpicky guy. I began my presentation, "Mrs. C is a 32-yo female Honduran immigrant who---" "WHOA WHOA WHOOOA. We don't really use ethnic descriptors in presentations anymore." (My attending, in case you didn't guess.) Me: "Oh, um, OK. Well then, uhh...Mrs. C is a 32-yo F w/ no PMH who p/w 3 weeks of fever and cough productive of bloody sputum." THE HONDURAN THING MAYBE WAS RELEVANT, MAYBBEEEEEEEE?

And I only use such descriptors if I feel they are relevant.

That is so insane. A person's ethnic background and also country of origin (+ whether or not they are an immigrant and how recent of an immigrant) is very relevant to their diagnostic work-up! Just as age and sex is. Ugh...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was presenting a patient to an attending earlier this year; really nitpicky guy. I began my presentation, "Mrs. C is a 32-yo female Honduran immigrant who---" "WHOA WHOA WHOOOA. We don't really use ethnic descriptors in presentations anymore." (My attending, in case you didn't guess.) Me: "Oh, um, OK. Well then, uhh...Mrs. C is a 32-yo F w/ no PMH who p/w 3 weeks of fever and cough productive of bloody sputum." THE HONDURAN THING MAYBE WAS RELEVANT, MAYBBEEEEEEEE?

That's actively hurting care with no plausible benefit

Members don't see this ad :)
That's actively hurting care with no plausible benefit

There's some weird fetish in this country where even mentioning someone's race/ethnicity triggers claims of "racism" or "discrimination" (and it's starting to make much more sense why this occurs when we hear about idiots like the Yale students).

Pointing out that you "don't see color" is a microaggression.

Mentioning someone's skin color at all in any context is a microaggression.

As a slight aside, one of my medical school classmates was assaulted in broad daylight downtown. When the cops tried to take a statement from him and gets a description of the assailant, he simply offered "uh......it was a male......like, 6 feet tall.......wearing a hat......."

"ok, anything else? was he white, black, asian, etc?"

"oh, um.........[cautious pause]......I........I guess he was..................black."

Although the answer was obvious to me, I asked him later why he felt so afraid to mention the assailant's skin color.

"Hey, I'm not a racist, man."

Absurd.

Reactions: 2 users
There's some weird fetish in this country where even mentioning someone's race/ethnicity triggers claims of "racism" or "discrimination" (and it's starting to make much more sense why this occurs when we hear about idiots like the Yale students).

Pointing out that you "don't see color" is a microaggression.

Mentioning someone's skin color at all in any context is a microaggression.

As a slight aside, one of my medical school classmates was assaulted in broad daylight downtown. When the cops tried to take a statement from him and gets a description of the assailant, he simply offered "uh......it was a male......like, 6 feet tall.......wearing a hat......."

"ok, anything else? was he white, black, asian, etc?"

"oh, um.........[cautious pause]......I........I guess he was..................black."

Although the answer was obvious to me, I asked him later why he felt so afraid to mention the assailant's skin color.

"Hey, I'm not a racist, man."

Absurd.

It is absurd, and reflects how abjectly ignorant most people are about the state of race and race relations in this country. They don't even know how to talk about race or discuss race. We need to, as a society, become better-educated about this.

You could have taken the opportunity to have a conversation with him about what's acceptable regarding race language, what's not, and why.

Last edited:

Best part is that people have labeled what your attending did the "coloblind microaggression" because you "strip people" of their ethnic and cultural background. Also, Honduran is a description of their native citizenship/geographic background and is very relevant, although I guess you could have instead said "happened to have recently traveled to Honduras... for rest of their entire life."

The problem with these people is the degree to which their "lived experiences" are "validated" by others.

Reactions: 1 users
While your effort is valiant, you should probably just stop because most people in this thread seem to think that everyone who experiences discrimination is just whining because their parents taught them to be whiners because they didn't lock them in a room with no supper for getting second place in their 5th grade swim meet.

Blah blah blah... Entitlement generation, blah blah.

Or something.

It's obviously because they didn't storm the beach at Normandy.

AaaaaAAaaahhh!!......Ahh!...Mmmm. Veterans.

Interestingly enough, the victims of Starbucks's War on Christmas, I presume, are from their generation... or at least their side of the sociopolitical spectrum.

Interestingly enough, the victims of Starbucks's War on Christmas, I presume, are from their generation... or at least their side of the sociopolitical spectrum.

That wasn't even a thing. One guy on Facebook, who is a former radio preacher, posted it as part of his series of faux outrage videos. It was picked up as a "look at these stupid Christians" thing by media outlets. No one was ever actually upset about Starbucks.

That wasn't even a thing. One guy on Facebook, who is a former radio preacher, posted it as part of his series of faux outrage videos. It was picked up as a "look at these stupid Christians" thing by media outlets. No one was ever actually upset about Starbucks.
I'm in the South, where everyone talks about what their pastor talked about on a given Sunday, and there have been several who mentioned their preachers whining about. So, at least a few stupid Christians are legit upset about it.

I think it was "a thing"

That is so insane. A person's ethnic background and also country of origin (+ whether or not they are an immigrant and how recent of an immigrant) is very relevant to their diagnostic work-up! Just as age and sex is. Ugh...

Yeah. I think he really should have just waited for me to finish (but this attending never did; would always interrupt my presentation for some sort of "fault"), especially since this wasn't the first time I presented to him.....but it was the first time I used such a descriptor. Hmm, wonder why student doc Cinclus chose to include that this time? Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Members don't see this ad :)
www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/28/this-is-not-a-day-care-read-college-presidents-scathing-open-letter-to-self-absorbed-and-narcissistic-students

In the face of college students far and wide complaining about emotional “triggers” they see and hear, annexing “safe spaces” where opposing views can’t hurt their feelings and even threatening free speech, Everett Piper is seemingly fed up with it all.

The president of Oklahoma Wesleyan University began his recent open letter to students with a story it appears he could hardly believe himself.

You can't think Trump actually cares about the Starbucks cup.

I don't. I mentioned the Starbucks cup because it's a recent example. Fox News has fostered this type of outcry for years. Do I think Trump and Fox News care about this issue? Not really. But they know who they're pandering to

www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/28/this-is-not-a-day-care-read-college-presidents-scathing-open-letter-to-self-absorbed-and-narcissistic-students

In the face of college students far and wide complaining about emotional “triggers” they see and hear, annexing “safe spaces” where opposing views can’t hurt their feelings and even threatening free speech, Everett Piper is seemingly fed up with it all.

The president of Oklahoma Wesleyan University began his recent open letter to students with a story it appears he could hardly believe himself.

Bravo.

Jonny, the trouble is that the thin-skinned are hiding behind the term "microagression" to bastardize and stigmatize any event that they don't like, and even worse, treat ideas and words as physical assaults. An example is the preposterous "cultueral appropriation" to say that one cannot dress as a geisha girl or a vaquero for Halloween. By this logic, the act of eating tacos or sushi would be inappropriate if you're not Mexican or Japanese. This is a far cry from, say, my Korean students being constantly mistaken for Chinese, or worse, someone unknowingly using a three letter pejorative for "gay man" in the presence of a gay man.

Read "The Closing of the American Mind" for an excellent review of the entire topic.

Not a good analogy. Poor grammar doesn't single out and put down classes of disadvantaged people and perpetuate unfair social stereotypes.

The reason to point out "microaggression" is that people literally don't realize they're offending entire classes of disadvantaged people. That's why we need to make a big deal about it, especially at the institutional level.

People love to say "whatever, it's not a big deal," but it is a big deal because it's done on a continual, unconscious, institutional and societal level. It's a big deal because it's repeated over and over and is generally considered socially acceptable. It's not socially acceptable, and it really does harm people.

There is some merit to saying

It is absurd, and reflects how abjectly ignorant most people are about the state of race and race relations in this country. They don't even know how to talk about race or discuss race. We need to, as a society, become better-educated about this.

You could have taken the opportunity to have a conversation with him about what's acceptable regarding race language, what's not, and why.

Or you could have let him make his own decisions on what language to use because he's a grown ass man and doesn't need your ok before deciding his words. Either, or.

Jonny, the trouble is that the thin-skinned are hiding behind the term "microagression" to bastardize and stigmatize any event that they don't like, and even worse, treat ideas and words as physical assaults. An example is the preposterous "cultueral appropriation" to say that one cannot dress as a geisha girl or a vaquero for Halloween. By this logic, the act of eating tacos or sushi would be inappropriate if you're not Mexican or Japanese. This is a far cry from, say, my Korean students being constantly mistaken for Chinese, or worse, someone unknowingly using a three letter pejorative for "gay man" in the presence of a gay man.

Read "The Closing of the American Mind" for an excellent review of the entire topic.

I don't see how eating food is on the same level as using an ethnic stereotype as a Halloween costume. There is a problem with people hiding behind the term microaggression, but there is also a true problem with microaggression, as well as ignorance of the struggles of others and the ways society marginalizes them.

They don't even know how to talk about race or discuss race. We need to, as a society, become better-educated about this.

Wait, what? The Yale master said that she encourages students to talk about race with others rather than the school controlling everyone like children. She was trying to encourage discussion of race relations, but got accused of making an unsafe environment. Fighting microaggressions is not about spurring discussions.

Edit: And a discussion has to involve disagreement. So if someone says that I used a microaggression and I say that they are reading way too much into what I said and that it's no different than a question I would ask a white friend, what do we do?

Last edited:
qSP1BfqpUmalxNe5P9eaxthQv1e0Kmlk-kDOJH9HdCr4UeRaZKR9eJN0MwXQDEQCKc_LiQ=s155

Last edited:
I'm going to need some examples from you, because what pisses off most of us here is the triviality of the complaints we typically hear.

I'd like to hear some examples that you personally have been subjected to, and examples others have had. We need a frame of reference.

And I was quite serious about my example of bogus-ness. Wearing a kimono and white makeup on Halloween is not stereotyping, nor is wearing a sombrero and a serape. If one can't do that, why is wearing green on St Paddy's Day or hoisting a stein full of lager and wearing lederhosen at Oktoberfest OK?

I don't see how eating food is on the same level as using an ethnic stereotype as a Halloween costume. There is a problem with people hiding behind the term microaggression, but there is also a true problem with microaggression, as well as ignorance of the struggles of others and the ways society marginalizes them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

That's great.

I must say it is unclear to me when it became a requirement that every person be familiar with any potential struggle of any other person. In this country (and everywhere else on the planet), the rules are pretty simple: Dont kill other people, don't physically hurt other people, and dont take other peoples things without their permission. We have added some nice social constructs of "dont say incredibly offensive things" (ie. words designed to promote abuse of a given group). But no where did anyone decide that we were not supposed to say any phrase that shows an "ignorance of the struggles of others".

Not addressing someones struggle is not a fireable offense. Speaking in generalities is not a crime, and those who do not fit the generalization are not victims. Medicine, science, this county, and all of humanity are founded on the basis of discordant ideas. Disagreement with the viewpoints of others has produced some of the finest works of science, literature, and art.

My opinion is that every human will spend some period of their life feeling marginalized in some way. No one dies at 100 years old without facing a struggle that the vast majority of the population does not understand. I'm an upper middle class white male, but trust me when I say I've been terribly hurt by people saying things that they would never think offend me. The point is not to wall yourself off from every emotionally unpleasant experience. Those experiences are crucial for the development of compassion, understanding, and forgiveness.

A world without microaggressions, disagreements, and painful experiences is not a world I want to live in, because it will be a society where true empathy and understanding have been replaced with shams of their former selves.

but there is also a true problem with microaggression, as well as ignorance of the struggles of others and the ways society marginalizes them.
Citations?
Data?
Anything besides the conjecture of a few bored sociologists out of Harvard?
This whole "microaggression" thing came about while I was in high school and it seems to have been swallowed whole by academia, no questions asked.

Is it any surprise most of the bleeding hearts and SJWs in here are premeds or MS1s?
It could be a generational thing. The bleeding hearts tend to be far more prevalent amongst the younger batch of millennials. Also, they haven't had their souls whittled away by actually spending time with certain patient populations yet. I'm convinced it's damn near impossible for a person that doesn't go into academics to support socialized medicine after the **** you see and the attitude you receive from a great number of Medicaid patients.

These students are in for a serious wakeup call come MS3. Moreso than most students, given that they're going to be at YNHH in New ****ing Haven. It's a great hospital, but the patient mix is... Difficult sometimes.

Not really when race is a social construct.

Is it though? Are there not general trends in appearance and biological construction that are conserved within people that share a similar geographic heritage?

Ie. Black people have a higher incidence of sickle cell, many Indians and Asians are lactose intolerant, and some jewish groups from part of Europe have a way higher incidence of breast cancer

Is it though? Are there not general trends in appearance and biological construction that are conserved within people that share a similar geographic heritage?

Ie. Black people have a higher incidence of sickle cell, many Indians and Asians are lactose intolerant, and some jewish groups from part of Europe have a way higher incidence of breast cancer

I am pleased with my privilege of tolerance for lactose.

I am pleased with my privilege of tolerance for lactose.

I know your type. You tell everyone that you're tolerant of lactose, but you just break it down every time you get the chance.

Reactions: 6 users
It could be a generational thing. The bleeding hearts tend to be far more prevalent amongst the younger batch of millennials. Also, they haven't had their souls whittled away by actually spending time with certain patient populations yet. I'm convinced it's damn near impossible for a person that doesn't go into academics to support socialized medicine after the **** you see and the attitude you receive from a great number of Medicaid patients.

These students are in for a serious wakeup call come MS3. Moreso than most students, given that they're going to be at YNHH in New ****ing Haven. It's a great hospital, but the patient mix is... Difficult sometimes.

You can dismiss our opinions by saying we're just young and inexperienced, but many of us simply are not.

I truly, truly hope that what compassion I have is not completely eradicated by the experiences of MS3 and MS4. Regardless, to paraphrase Penn Jillette, I want my country to be better than me.

comes in to offer alternative view, realizes people don't want alternative view, just a place to bash. ***slowly backs out***

I must say it is unclear to me when it became a requirement that every person be familiar with any potential struggle of any other person. In this country (and everywhere else on the planet), the rules are pretty simple: Dont kill other people, don't physically hurt other people, and dont take other peoples things without their permission. We have added some nice social constructs of "dont say incredibly offensive things" (ie. words designed to promote abuse of a given group). But no where did anyone decide that we were not supposed to say any phrase that shows an "ignorance of the struggles of others".

Not addressing someones struggle is not a fireable offense. Speaking in generalities is not a crime, and those who do not fit the generalization are not victims. Medicine, science, this county, and all of humanity are founded on the basis of discordant ideas. Disagreement with the viewpoints of others has produced some of the finest works of science, literature, and art.

My opinion is that every human will spend some period of their life feeling marginalized in some way. No one dies at 100 years old without facing a struggle that the vast majority of the population does not understand. I'm an upper middle class white male, but trust me when I say I've been terribly hurt by people saying things that they would never think offend me. The point is not to wall yourself off from every emotionally unpleasant experience. Those experiences are crucial for the development of compassion, understanding, and forgiveness.

A world without microaggressions, disagreements, and painful experiences is not a world I want to live in, because it will be a society where true empathy and understanding have been replaced with shams of their former selves.

Willfully dismissing the struggle of people not like yourself, and especially people who are members of classes that are traditionally marginalized in our society, though, IS a problem. Traditionally privileged college administrators dismissing the experiences of black, Asian, or transgender students is a problem. Yes, everyone faces issues at some point but a lot of people face the same issues virtually every day and there's nothing they can do about it besides speak up about it and call it out.

I'm going to need some examples from you, because what pisses off most of us here is the triviality of the complaints we typically hear.

I'd like to hear some examples that you personally have been subjected to, and examples others have had. We need a frame of reference.

And I was quite serious about my example of bogus-ness. Wearing a kimono and white makeup on Halloween is not stereotyping, nor is wearing a sombrero and a serape. If one can't do that, why is wearing green on St Paddy's Day or hoisting a stein full of lager and wearing lederhosen at Oktoberfest OK?

So much fun.

You can dismiss our opinions by saying we're just young and inexperienced, but many of us simply are not.

I truly, truly hope that what compassion I have is not completely eradicated by the experiences of MS3 and MS4. Regardless, to paraphrase Penn Jillette, I want my country to be better than me.
I went full circle in my prior career, personally, and I'll probably do it all over again going through medical training. Started out compassionate, became bitter and resentful, found value and pity in even the most difficult of patients once again (though it took me a good four years). I just know I'm going to be a bit butthurt and irritated when I'm being taken for granted after all of the **** I've gone through, but at least I know it's part of the job I guess. I'll tell you though, getting attitude from an unemployed person that is surviving off of your tax dollars and having their stay paid for by the contributions you have made, yet expects you to wait on them hand and foot and complains at everything that isn't slightly wonderful about their visit does get pretty damn irritating.

Most of these stereotypes are archaic and historical. How is dressing up as an apache warrior any different than dressing up as a samurai or a Roman legionnaire? I just see different outfits as different pieces of our collective human history, not as some racially charged nonsense. There's some epic costumes to draw on from history, isn't it kind of racist to say that white people can only wear the white ones? So, like, a black guy could be a European knight, but a white guy shouldn't be a Japanese samurai? Why?!

Most of these stereotypes are archaic and historical. How is dressing up as an apache warrior any different than dressing up as a samurai or a Roman legionnaire? I just see different outfits as different pieces of our collective human history, not as some racially charged nonsense. There's some epic costumes to draw on from history, isn't it kind of racist to say that white people can only wear the white ones? So, like, a black guy could be a European knight, but a white guy shouldn't be a Japanese samurai? Why?!

There aren't any Roman legionnaires or samurai in your patient population, class, neighborhood, etc.

There aren't any Roman legionnaires or samurai in your patient population, class, neighborhood, etc.
I'm not saying that there's not bad costumes you shouldn't do based on current cultural practices and stereotypes, I'm just saying some of the examples I've seen in the past are part of the millennial outrage machine and go too far.

I'm not saying that there's not bad costumes you shouldn't do based on current cultural practices and stereotypes, I'm just saying some of the examples I've seen in the past are part of the millennial outrage machine and go too far.

I'm intentionally trying to focus on supporting the idea that there are real problems students are trying to address, and not concern myself with people who are trying to abuse the terminology. Yes, I admit there are people misusing and abusing these conversations and terms. I can't stop that. However, no one in this thread is doing that. People in this thread are essentially denying that the problems and events properly described by this terminology exist, and I believe that is wrong and counterproductive.

Attacking people who misuse or abuse terms is a classic way to marginalize or deny the existence of things properly described by those terms, and I am sad to see that happen here.

I'm intentionally trying to focus on supporting the idea that there are real problems students are trying to address, and not concern myself with people who are trying to abuse the terminology. Yes, I admit there are people misusing and abusing these conversations and terms. I can't stop that. However, no one in this thread is doing that. People in this thread are essentially denying that the problems and events properly described by this terminology exist, and I believe that is wrong and counterproductive.

Attacking people who misuse or abuse terms is a classic way to marginalize or deny the existence of things properly described by those terms, and I am sad to see that happen here.
I mean, I honestly think they're being babbies and going overboard with this whole thing myself, regardless of their use or misuse of terminology. And their list of demands is just lulzworthy.

Can somebody actually provide a real, concrete example of actual INSTITUTIONAL racism that goes beyond the normal whiny "micro aggression" and "police brutality" and "inclusiveness" buzz words? Because all I've ever seen or heard anybody talk about are these vague concepts and ideas and how there's this whole widespread problem, but it's funny because not one single person has actually pointed to a specific concrete fact demonstrating that such racism exists. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but right now it sure seems like it's a never-ending cycle of some random event happening, people picking up on it, filling Facebook with "YEAH RACISM," protesting in the streets, then going back to their daily lives without actually providing any evidence of such institutional racism or any semblance of a solution to the supposed problem.

That's where the breakdown is, really. You mentioned compassion earlier, and I have noticed a pretty palpable trend lately where people are vilified for trying to show tough love... Tough love as in these millennials will eventually leave college and have to deal with the real world, and need to be taught how to deal with it without a safe space. It's basically that (many) millennials have started saying anybody who disagrees with them is completely without compassion, waging a war on (women, blacks, turtles, etc). It's not a lack of compassion, it's a disagreement about how to give EVERYBODY the best chance to succeed. Unfortunately the best/fair chance does not always equal fair outcomes. It is most definitely not a lack of compassion.

I'm intentionally trying to focus on supporting the idea that there are real problems students are trying to address, and not concern myself with people who are trying to abuse the terminology.
Halloween costumes are not real problems. I'm curious if you will be just as gallant on third year rotations, or will you clam up like the rest of us did.