Yale medical students issue demands for diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It spawned a petition and signatures and angry emails and asking for an apology and a more inclusive slide deck in the future.

So now the slide deck has a MM, MF, and FF couple.

Maybe someone will decide that's still too normative, and there should be a MI??FQ open relationship.

I thought the point of tenure was so that you could do what's important for education while being able to ignore stupid crap like this

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Worse, we'd constantly have lecture interrupted by people "calling out" microaggressions from slides. Including the huge fiasco where the STD slide showing a heterosexual couple was criticized for being too heteronormative.

In my real estate development days, we stopped including people in renderings of projects for basically this reason. You'd make a graphic of a proposed building with a dozen people scattered around to lend some sense of scale to the design, and the response would be "aren't wheelchair bound native Americans welcome in your buildings? You've obviously gone out of your way to exclude them from your marketing materials." Simply not including any people at all was the only way to make sure we didn't leave anyone out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
VWr6I.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Worse, we'd constantly have lecture interrupted by people "calling out" microaggressions from slides. Including the huge fiasco where the STD slide showing a heterosexual couple was criticized for being too heteronormative.

Whenever I hear people talk about microgressions, I remember sitting and chatting with my neuro attending, who told me about how he was the first Black person admitted to his medical school, the grind it required to prove he belonged, and the great personal/professional risks taken by the White faculty who advocated for him to be there, and the initial struggle in establishing himself as a resident and an attending due to his race.

Dismiss from medical school for unprofessional behavior. Accept tuition dollars from someone who is less a PITA.

Reactions: 1 users
This stuff is all real? We really need a bad war or some other real hardship for our coddled millennials.

Who am I kidding. They'd refuse to fight.

I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords.

Reactions: 4 users
In my real estate development days, we stopped including people in renderings of projects for basically this reason. You'd make a graphic of a proposed building with a dozen people scattered around to lend some sense of scale to the design, and the response would be "aren't wheelchair bound native Americans welcome in your buildings? You've obviously gone out of your way to exclude them from your marketing materials." Simply not including any people at all was the only way to make sure we didn't leave anyone out.

There was an older wheelchair-bound gentlemen at my undergrad who was the president of the disability group and he was on an aggressive crusade as to why the 150 year old university--along with most of its 100+ year old buildings--were not 100% ADA compliant. I know it's an issue but he basically wanted the whole campus to look like that painting by M.C. Escher with endless staircases...except that they'd be ramps.

Escher%27s_Relativity.jpg

I thought the point of tenure was so that you could do what's important for education while being able to ignore stupid crap like this
Unfortunately, I don't think we have tenure in the medical school. Tenure for preclinical instructors is keeping enough grants to pay for yourself and your research and being productive.

The scariest part of the video, not including where she drops her backpack, gets up in his face, shouts the F word in his face, is where she says, "It is not about creating an intellectual space! It is not! Do you understand that? It's about creating a home here! You are not doing that. You're going against that." That should send shivers down the spine of any professor or administrator who works for a university.
WOO WOO WOO. Did you just say she??? The correct term is student. By saying she you imply that the person, despite looking like a standard female and having XX chromosomes, is automatically a woman. This could be very offensive to this person requiring them to go to their safe space. Better watch your microagressions bro. Happens again I'm going to have to ask you to ackwledge your privilege here on the forum. It's okay....I've been PC for about a week now.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There was an older wheelchair-bound gentlemen at my undergrad who was the president of the disability group and he was on an aggressive crusade as to why the 150 year old university--along with most of its 100+ year old buildings--were not 100% ADA compliant. I know it's an issue but he basically wanted the whole campus to look like that painting by M.C. Escher with endless staircases...except that they'd be ramps.

Escher%27s_Relativity.jpg

Hmm for some reason, that is totally fine with me.

On the other hand, that 20yo girl from Yale finding it "offensive" and "unsafe" that Yale sent an email saying they won't censor Halloween costumes makes me a lot more angry.

This, by far, has been the most enjoyable SDN thread that I've read. I hate my overly-PC, easily butt-hurt generation.

Reactions: 7 users
Maybe shouldn't go into psych, because they don't really meet any criteria (DSM or psychodynamic) for psychopathy.

But are they cray? Ya, they cray.

There are maybe 2 people in America that can't be assigned at least one DSM diagnosis. I think thats more rare than Progeria

One can only assume that the numerous people posting on this thread are the majority in medicine in every sense of the word. IF not well of, at the very least white.

Raise your hand if you are white ?

now raise your hand if you got rejected from Yale ?

Classic tale of I didn't make the football team, so that team sucks.

It's very interesting how the calls for diversity seem to sound like "I require more people that look and think just like me."

o_____--- How should we increase diversity instead?

It could be only a small group of people voicing these complaints and rallying other people to their cause. And then why are they all-of-a-sudden worrying about microaggressions that didn't bother them a few years ago? Media-fueled craze

Like the whole Claremont Mckenna dean getting fired- the news was all over the fact that a couple of hunger-striking students for a dean to resign, but there were no reports on the article written by the editors of Claremont's newspaper saying how childish those protestors were. The news does selectively present only one side to advance their agenda/ratings.

Edit: Even look at this stuff about Christians complaining about the Starbucks cup and the shape of the Christmas tree Reese's. Do you think a lot of people actually had a problem with a freaking cup or do think a couple of people tweeted a complaint and the media exaggerated it because people eat up those kinds of stories?

Are you kidding me ? This is the equivalent of saying "there was no gay people back in my day". The microaggressions have always be present, there are only now being vaguely and little bit addressed.
the whole country is not funnel-fueled by the media craze, we are only now beginning to acknowledge what it means to be of color.

If the news media has a way of warping reality, I have noticed SDN tends to uphold a particularly oversimplified and downplayed view on basically any issue at hand. Reminds me of one of my friends. No matter what you say, she will try to make you look stupid.

So universities as whole are doing nothing but increasing tuition, minimizing scandals that hurt their sport-based income, grubbing at money any which way possible, and putting our generation in debt and most of you are angry that there are protest and revision demands for a few select *****s who don't know how to sit in a leather chair at the very top ?

Not saying I necessarily agree with any of the Yale stuff (or disagree), but man, there is a lot of hate in this thread. Do you people carry this around with you all day every day?

One can only assume that the numerous people posting on this thread are the majority in medicine in every sense of the word. IF not well of, at the very least white.

Are you kidding me ? This is the equivalent of saying "there was no gay people back in my day". The microaggressions have always be present, there are only now being vaguely and little bit addressed.
the whole country is not funnel-fueled by the media craze, we are only now beginning to acknowledge what it means to be of color.

If the news media has a way of warping reality, I have noticed SDN tends to uphold a particularly oversimplified and downplayed view on basically any issue at hand. Reminds me of one of my friends. No matter what you say, she will try to make you look stupid.

So universities as whole are doing nothing but increasing tuition, minimizing scandals that hurt their sport-based income, grubbing at money any which way possible, and putting our generation in debt and most of you are angry that there are protest and revision demands for a few select *****s who don't know how to sit in a leather chair at the very top ?

Found the Yalie.

Edit: if you truly think this has anything whatsoever to do with "I didn't make the team, so the team sucks", you are infinitely more out of touch than we gave you and your classmates credit for.

A lot of what you said is disconnected, so sorry if I misunderstand something you wrote. What I'm saying is that these microaggressions existed in the past, but now all-of-a-sudden people view them as an assault that makes them so uncomfortable that they can't leave their rooms. Like 10 years ago, someone could have asked me, "Do you have a girlfriend?" and me respond with "No" or "Nope, I date men." Now, that is considered a microaggression that makes LGBT individuals feel unsafe and unwelcome. The irrational response to the heteronormativeness of "Do you have a girlfriend?" was spread by the internet and media.

And I have a problem with school milking tuition AND people obsessing over microaggressions. I put on my big boy thinking cap so I could manage to care about more than one issue at a time

Reactions: 8 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oh wait! Speaking of cray people: http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...advance-diversity-initiatives-katherine-timpf

A couple years ago a UChicago student had his facebook hacked to write racist stuff. They used that incident as a platform on how the school needs to focus more on cultural sensitivity and address the school's unwelcoming environment. The university didn't want to seem unresponsive, so they hired a FBI team to investigate. They discovered that the guy wrote the messages himself and he was expelled.

Last edited:

Just because there is not a substantive debate going on in this thread doesn't mean there is not one to be had. If you think that what the students at Yale CoM are doing is reasonable and important I'm interested in hearing more about that.

No one on this thread is sore about getting in or not getting into Yale. I think what people are turned off by, and what bothers me, is that the types of actions we have seen via news coverage (and unfortunately viral videos) of Yale highlight students who are 1. overly sensitive to different view points, 2. aggressive and belligerent towards those different view points, and 3. convinced that their experience wins any debate - really superseding the need for a discussion altogether.

Now these criticisms apply to the undergrad, so what is going on in the CoM might truly be entirely different, but with demands for an online reporting system for reporting 'inappropriate behavior' in real time, I suspect that it is not.

No matter what you say, she will try to make you look stupid.

Perhaps you should try making it harder for her.

The term microaggression has become a joke for a reason. If you are lucky enough to rotate through the VA you can find a WWII veteran while there are still a few around and listen to him tell you about the microaggressions he experienced in Europe. Perspective. Get some.

Reactions: 6 users
Found the Yalie.

Huge compliment. Satire5texul --> Lux et Veritas.

One thing is, this generation is easily offended. The reese's cups and starbucks cups are not on the same level as racial tensions, lets be clear here. You cant lump them together and call everyone a pu**y who is offended.

A lot of what you said is disconnected, so sorry if I misunderstand something you wrote. What I'm saying is that these microaggressions existed in the past, but now all-of-a-sudden people view them as an assault that makes them so uncomfortable that they can't leave their rooms. Like 10 years ago, someone could have asked me, "Do you have a girlfriend?" and me respond with "No" or "Nope, I date men." Now, that is considered a microaggression that makes LGBT individuals feel unsafe and unwelcome. The irrational response to the heteronormativeness of "Do you have a girlfriend?" was spread by the internet and media.

And I have a problem with school milking tuition AND people obsessing over microaggressions. I put on my big boy thinking cap so I could manage to care about more than one issue at a time

That makes perfect sense but I am part of LGBTQ and I can tell you these types of subtle things come up all the time. The people that dont notice them are those of course that it does not effected directly at all. For example, a lot of feminist traits are discussed under the umbrella of women. But leave out the gay majority. Lets say we are in a lecture hall. We are discussing boyfriends. the professor says "ladies am I right? boyfriends can be lazy". That just left some people out of the room.

This is the part where some SDNers would swoop in and say "get over it", "who cares?", "what a lil bit**"
But truth is, we all want to be included. And you cant make these type of comments. Its not all inclusive and very narrow-minded.
Its not a cohesive, welcoming and unifying environment.

Just because there is not a substantive debate going on in this thread doesn't mean there is not one to be had. If you think that what the students at Yale CoM are doing is reasonable and important I'm interested in hearing more about that.

No one on this thread is sore about getting in or not getting into Yale. I think what people are turned off by, and what bothers me, is that the types of actions we have seen via news coverage (and unfortunately viral videos) of Yale highlight students who are 1. overly sensitive to different view points, 2. aggressive and belligerent towards those different view points, and 3. convinced that their experience wins any debate - really superseding the need for a discussion altogether.

Now these criticisms apply to the undergrad, so what is going on in the CoM might truly be entirely different, but with demands for an online reporting system for reporting 'inappropriate behavior' in real time, I suspect that it is not.

I can only assume. Some of the posts are unnecessarily insensitive I cant help but wonder what place they come from. other than "pain". The online reporting system in particular is a must-have. Somehow there is an underlining tone that each anonymous post will lead to unfair institutional action. When in fact it would simply warrant investigation. And why not ? It would really give way to what people find offensive and how to avoid such insensitivity in the long-run. I have been an observer of Yale's Yikyak since the day the feature came out. Now lets be clear, you cannot collect information about the entire student body from an online anonymous app, but just like SDN, you can get a wet finger notion of where the wind is blowing. And rich-white, get high-all-day majority at Yale is not exactly the diversifying student body that thinks about things like racial issues. You would be surprised to what detail the Yikyak goes into. A little disturbing.

This was more of a comment on the undergrad, but judging by the faculty list here:

http://medicine.yale.edu/intranet/facultybydept/index.aspx

you can easily get an idea of what exactly the students are referring to. Over-represented white majority with a few sprinkled, distinguished people of color. If I were to dive into the biography of these people, you can easily guess the majority came from well-off white families. How does that add to the discussion of diversity. What the hell do these people know what its like being poor, black, LGBTQ or Hispanic ? And more importantly what are they doing to make sure this discussion is ongoing in their classroom on all walks of life.
Perhaps you should try making it harder for her.

The term microaggression has become a joke for a reason. If you are lucky enough to rotate through the VA you can find a WWII veteran while there are still a few around and listen to him tell you about the microaggressions he experienced in Europe. Perspective. Get some.

I work in the VA, not impressed by the mental illness that is rampart. We are not talking about infringing on someone land with weapons.

There's a lot of inherent bias and judgement built into our society for largely historical and arbitrary reasons. It's not fair and it really kinda sucks for a lot of people.

This is how people start addressing it and calling it out as unacceptable.

Isn't every generation the new wuss generation? Obviously "microagressions" and "triggering" is ludicrous, but this generation's acceptance for gay marriage and diversity is really startling. As with everything in life it's a give and take. Dismissing these conversations as "damn kids" keeps us stuck in our ugly past, just as joining the ivory tower, microagression PC-police gets us no closer to a more equitable society.

Lets say we are in a lecture hall. We are discussing boyfriends. the professor says "ladies am I right? boyfriends can be lazy". That just left some people out of the room.

This is the part where some SDNers would swoop in and say "get over it", "who cares?", "what a lil bit**"
But truth is, we all want to be included. And you cant make these type of comments. Its not all inclusive and very narrow-minded.

Yes, you absolutely can.

For f*ck's sake. This is embarrassing for your entire generation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
That makes perfect sense but I am part of LGBTQ and I can tell you these types of subtle things come up all the time. The people that dont notice them are those of course that it does not effected directly at all. For example, a lot of feminist traits are discussed under the umbrella of women. But leave out the gay majority. Lets say we are in a lecture hall. We are discussing boyfriends. the professor says "ladies am I right? boyfriends can be lazy". That just left some people out of the room.
But how about this: I'm a work-study and first generation college student. There were many times where I didn't feel like I belonged at my school because sooo many students come from very wealthy backgrounds. Some people said that talking about how much you traveled is a microaggression towards low-income students because they feel left out....Do we go so far as to say that "privileged" people are not allowed to talk about their backgrounds and their experiences just because I didn't have the same opportunities? If the students are purposely saying classist things, that's one thing. This is just people telling stories about their lives and me getting to see how other people live. There were also people with the same background as me, and we got to talk too

Or I feel unsafe around Christians because I grew up in a hostile, anti-gay religious family. When I meet a Christian, I immediately put up guards and slowly lower them as I get to trust the person. Do we make a safe environment by banning all religious talk or is it an issue that I learn to deal with? And actually, I started college strongly anti-religious and finished indifferent towards religion because I realized that my view of what it means to be Christian was very narrow from my upbringing. I am still guarded when I find out someone is religious, but I understand now that not all religious people are going to be crazy, vehement homophobes.

There is a line. If someone is being intentionally racist/sexist/homophobic that should absolutely be called out, but normal, non-malicious statements should not be nitpicked to be turned into something offensive. Really, the only way for everyone to be included all the time would be to go all Utopia and remove kids from their parents at birth and raise them in 100% equal way.

Reactions: 16 users
Lets say we are in a lecture hall. We are discussing boyfriends. the professor says "ladies am I right? boyfriends can be lazy". That just left some people out of the room.

I honestly can't even begin to imagine caring about something like this. If you get offended by every off-hand comment that doesn't happen to pertain to your particular situation, well, you must spend a lot of time being offended.

Reactions: 8 users
Yes, you absolutely can.

For f*ck's sake. This is embarrassing for the entire generation.

In your mind its okay. Because what do your roots have that can be found offensive. This is the problem at its core. What do white, 2nd/3rd generation Americans have to be offended by? The hashtag that runs wild "dinnerwithwhitepeople" or whatever it was that ran around a few days ago ? ohhhh you dont season your food ? That is perhaps the most offensive thing some people have had to face in their lifetime. Lucky them.
Lets leave the dark humor to the comedians who should have no bounds or limits.

As someone who grow up in a country that has zero, and I do mean close to 0.0001% people of color in it, I worked really hard to reverse the racist comments I have heard my family members make. That meant a lot of conversation about heavy topics with genuine friends who were kind enough to show me the way.

People are offended even if you say that "you dont see color", because this neglects the history and racial conflict that occurred. The nuances should be respected, if someone says something bothers them, you dont tell them to suck it up. Its the equivalent of an apology that says "I am sorry you feel that way", really neglecting the issue at heart.

what all this comes down to is none of the posters who are white especially, have ever had to deal with any discrimination, and now they are calling these claims as baseless and "whaaaaaambulance"-worthy.

But how about this: I'm a work-study and first generation college student. There were many times where I didn't feel like I belonged at my school because sooo many students come from very wealthy backgrounds. Some people said that talking about how much you traveled is a microaggression towards low-income students because they feel left out....Do we go so far as to say that "privileged" people are not allowed to talk about their backgrounds and their experiences just because I didn't have the same opportunities?

Or I feel unsafe around Christians because I grew up in a hostile, anti-gay religious family. When I meet a Christian, I immediately put up guards and slowly lower them as I get to trust the person. Do we make a safe environment by banning all religious talk or is it an issue that I learn to deal with? And actually, I started college strongly anti-religious and finished indifferent towards religion because I realized that my view of what it means to be Christian was very narrow from my upbringing. I am still guarded when I find out someone is religious, but I understand now that not all religious people are going to be crazy, vehement homophobes.

There is a line. If someone is being intentionally racist/sexist/homophobic that should absolutely be called out, but normal, non-malicious statements should not be nitpicked to be turned into something offensive. Really, the only way for everyone to be included all the time would be to go all Utopia and remove kids from their parents at birth and raise them in 100% equal way.

All great examples. But you can hide and run away from the identity of being wealthy or christian. You cannot runaway and take a day off from being black and discriminated by. These comments that you feel belong in Utopia just dont need to be brought up in large academic setting.

I honestly can't even begin to imagine caring about something like this. If you get offended by every off-hand comment that doesn't happen to pertain to your particular situation, well, you must spend a lot of time being offended.

Its not exhausting at all. At this point I have it down. I dont talk about parents in front of someone who recently lost theirs, and that type of sensitivity. I am sorry you dont feel the same. I try to stay neutral and be all inclusive. I am not easily offended, I do however think "this person is a narrow-minded academic". So more so judgement on the other party, less to do with me. Truly emotionally/socially intelligent people think along my lines.

This one time, the popular kids in my class were talking about how they were going to go out to the bars one night over our thanksgiving break and how they started a Facebook group to invite people. Turns out I didn't get invited. Were they inclusive? No. Did I start a social media firestorm because I felt left out or ostracized? No.

In your mind its okay. Because what do your roots have that can be found offensive. This is the problem at its core. What do white, 2nd/3rd generation Americans have to be offended by? The hashtag that runs wild "dinnerwithwhitepeople" or whatever it was that ran around a few days ago ? ohhhh you dont season your food ? That is perhaps the most offensive thing some people have had to face in their lifetime. Lucky them.

As someone who grow up in a country that has zero, and I do mean close to 0.0001% people of color in it, I worked really hard to reverse the racist comments I have heard my family members make. That meant a lot of conversation about heavy topics with genuine friends who were kind enough to show me the way.

People are offended even if you say that "you dont see color", because this neglects the history and racial conflict that occurred. The nuances should be respected, if someone says something bothers them, you dont tell them to suck it up. Its the equivalent of an apology that says "I am sorry you feel that way", really neglecting the issue at heart.

what all this comes down to is none of the posters who are white especially, have ever had to deal with any discrimination, and now they are calling these claims as baseless and "whaaaaaambulance"-worthy.

All great examples. But you can hide and run away from the identity of being wealthy or christian. You cannot runaway and take a day off from being black and discriminated by. These comments that you feel belong in Utopia just dont need to be brought up in large academic setting.

Its not exhausting at all. At this point I have it down. I dont talk about parents in front of someone who recently lost theirs, and that type of sensitivity. I am sorry you dont feel the same. I try to stay neutral and be all inclusive. I am not easily offended, I do however think "this person is a narrow-minded academic". So more so judgement on the other party, less to do with me. Truly emotionally/socially intelligent people think along my lines.

You are perhaps as ridiculous as you are sheltered and naive. As another poster pointed out, being openly racist and bigoted is not even in the same universe as forgetting to include black transgendered mexican wheelchair-bound furries on the front of your school recruitment pamphlet.

It is alarming to read the lack of self-awareness in your posts. If I am to assume you believe what you write, then it just helps to cement the fact that the Yale lunatics are not some freak occurrence, but rather part of a much, much more disturbing and self-handicapping mentality pervasive in today's youth.

[I did not check my privilege before making this post]

Reactions: 13 users
And I also have a problem with your statement that white people are not "discriminated" against or made fun of or left out. That's just as narrow-minded as those you claim to be combatting. I can't tell from your posts if you are white or not, but if you're not white then you really shouldn't be making those comments, according to your own logic.

Last edited:
So wait, you do think people should hide their identity of being wealthy if it would make someone else feel left out? How is that any different then the fact that gay people are forced to hide in the closet and mask their identity? And like I said: There is a difference between real racism and the discrimination of microaggressions. People are fighting against microaggressions like asking people what their nationality is. I would 100% stand behind protests that are about asking schools to punish those committing actual hate crimes (hate crime defined as something that police could prosecute against) or if schools were limiting resources available to black students.

I don't understand your line about Utopia. I was just trying to point out that if people have to hide every part of their identity that differs from the person they are talking to, then we would have to make a cultish society where every child was raised with exactly the same experiences so there would be no differences and no one left out

You seem to have lost touch with reality, or never had any amount of connection to it at all to begin with. If you can't see how ironic it is that in one post you said "lucky them" to anything white people might have to deal with, while also saying "...you don't tell them to suck it up" when dealing with people of color, I can't really help you. People don't get a free pass simply because they were born in a crappy situation (news flash, it's not just people of color born into crappy situations). Life eats people alive all of the time. And it's not over some nonsense such as feeling left out. People get shot in the face for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Another news flash. Being offended doesn't mean a thing. It definitely doesn't mean you can strip somebody of their first amendment right. Some people use the 1st amendment for good. Others use it to be an a**hole. It's protected either way, and bought and paid for with blood and sweat. Seriously how do you function on an everyday basis being this weak? The things you are describing are beyond pathetic. It's a distraction from the real problems that minorities face every single day. What real problems? Living in the ghetto, high incarceration rates, no father figures, death and dismemberment from living in areas with gangs, etc. Nerf ball type nonsense is what you are describing. Grow up.

Reactions: 9 users
You are perhaps as ridiculous as you are sheltered and naive. As another poster pointed out, being openly racist and bigoted is not even in the same universe as forgetting to include black transgendered mexican wheelchair-bound furries on the front of your school recruitment pamphlet.

It is alarming to read the lack of self-awareness in your posts. If I am to assume you believe what you write, then it just helps to cement the fact that the Yale lunatics are not some freak occurrence, but rather part of a much, much more disturbing and self-handicapping mentality pervasive in today's youth.

[I did not check my privilege before making this post]

Just so we can clarify, I do not attend Yale. Next.

Where in the demands did you read that these students are not represented on a recruitment pamphlet ? again an oversimplification of the real issue at hand. Even if that was a poor metaphor, please dont bother elaborating, because I made a clear point that regardless of how big or small the issue, your statement is a perfectly worded description of some of the other people posting.

So wait, you do think people should hide their identity of being wealthy if it would make someone else feel left out? How is that any different then the fact that gay people are forced to hide in the closet and mask their identity? And like I said: There is a difference between real racism and the discrimination of microaggressions. People are fighting against microaggressions like asking people what their nationality is. I would 100% stand behind protests that are about asking schools to punish those committing actual hate crimes (hate crime defined as something that police could prosecute against) or if schools were limiting resources available to black students.

I don't understand your line about Utopia. I was just trying to point out that if people have to hide every part of their identity that differs from the person they are talking to, then we would have to make a cultish society where every child was raised with exactly the same experiences so there would be no differences and no one left out

Never said anything about the wealthy people thing. Thats why I purposely left it out. To me the micro and macro are the same.

And I also have a problem with your statement that white people are not "discriminated" against or made fun of or left out. That's just as narrow-minded as those you claim to be combatting. I can't tell from your posts if you are white or not, but if you're not white then you really shouldn't be making those comments, according to your own logic.

Please elaborate. @typoncho included, what discrimination based on skin color alone do white people face?

You seem to have lost touch with reality, or never had any amount of connection to it at all to begin with. If you can't see how ironic it is that in one post you said "lucky them" to anything white people might have to deal with, while also saying "...you don't tell them to suck it up" when dealing with people of color, I can't really help you. People don't get a free pass simply because they were born in a crappy situation (news flash, it's not just people of color born into crappy situations). Life eats people alive all of the time. And it's not over some nonsense such as feeling left out. People get shot in the face for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Another news flash. Being offended doesn't mean a thing. It definitely doesn't mean you can strip somebody of their first amendment right. Some people use the 1st amendment for good. Others use it to be an a**hole. It's protected either way, and bought and paid for with blood and sweat. Seriously how do you function on an everyday basis being this weak? The things you are describing are beyond pathetic. It's a distraction from the real problems that minorities face every single day. What real problems? Living in the ghetto, high incarceration rates, no father figures, death and dismemberment from living in areas with gangs, etc. Nerf ball type nonsense is what you are describing. Grow up.

What is this blood and sweat you speak of ? Please elaborate ? What blood and sweat is 99% of america doing to fight and keep their amendment rights. But I digress... Like I said the micro and macro are connected in more than one way. IF you think that institutional racism comes in a form Of "you dont get this job. you are black" then join me in delusion land. All the other moppy newsflash, life eats me up made no sense to me considering I think we both missed each other's mark.

Oh, one of my favorite things is that a lot of these Yale minorities weren't even born into crappy situations. Just as many minorities at these schools come from $250K+ income families as white students. Their experience is so far removed from what the average American minority experiences. Most of the gay students also came from families who were 150% percent supportive. I have a queer, black female friend whose dad is an MD head of a department at a top 20 med center (and her mom is some big shot in the pharm school) and she talks about how oppressed she is....

Never said anything about the wealthy people thing. Thats why I purposely left it out. To me the micro and macro are the same.
"But you can hide and run away from the identity of being wealthy or christian." You didn't leave wealthy out....? And now I don't know if you are trolling. You would equate "Hey, what race are you?" (micro) to someone brutally beating a person to death (macro)?

Knowingly rubbing in that someone's parent's just died is a very different example from mentioning the word "boyfriend" in front of a group where ~half of the individuals likely do not date boys. The former involves bringing up something painful. The latter is just mentioning something that doesn't happen to be relevant to everyone. Would you expect a prof to never talk about parents at all on the chance that someone might have lost their parents?

Didn't apply, but I attend somewhere more selective than Yale.

The problem with "microaggressions" is that there is no end to things people can define as such. Too much thin skin.

Just so we can clarify, I do not attend Yale. Next.

Where in the demands did you read that these students are not represented on a recruitment pamphlet ? again an oversimplification of the real issue at hand. Even if that was a poor metaphor, please dont bother elaborating, because I made a clear point that regardless of how big or small the issue, your statement is a perfectly worded description of some of the other people posting.

Please elaborate. @typoncho included, what discrimination based on skin color alone do white people face?

What is this blood and sweat you speak of ? Please elaborate ? What blood and sweat is 99% of america doing to fight and keep their amendment rights. But I digress... Like I said the micro and macro are connected in more than one way. IF you think that institutional racism comes in a form Of "you dont get this job. you are black" then join me in delusion land. All the other moppy newsflash, life eats me up made no sense to me considering I think we both missed each other's mark.

Lol the blood and sweat is always given by the biggest minority in our nation friendo. Veterans. They come in all colors and somehow become friends. But since you needed a history lesson: http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2627/basilone-john.php

http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/historydivision/Pages/Who's Who/J-L/Lucas_JH.aspx

There is your blood and sweat. tl;dr Jacklyn Lucas joined the Marines at 14 and jumped on a grenade for his boys before his 18th bday. Also, the only reason my "life eats people alive" thing was lost on you is because you've never seen life eat someone alive. Go see the world, son.

My thoughts:

1. Anybody who seriously uses the word "microaggression" needs punched many times.
2. If these are the kind of students Yale has, then they are about as good as a Caribbean med school.
3. I'm really glad I don't go to Yale. Probably would have already had a petition against my microaggressions on the first day of school for something ridiculous.