Yale medical students issue demands for diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oo Cipher oO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/11/19/med-students-issue-demands/

Interesting excerpts:

"In the letter, students described ways in which the “formal curriculum” of the medical school misrepresents and underrepresents people of color while remaining silent on the way in which medicine is complicit in propagating health disparities. Students added that the “hidden curriculum” — learning done outside the classroom — forces students of color to bear microaggressions perpetrated by peers and instructors and to work within a community where women and people of color are underrepresented within the faculty and student body."

"Among the measures demanded were the creation and maintenance of a “genuinely inclusive” learning environment. To achieve this end, students called for an online bias reporting system through which they could report incidents of inappropriate behavior. The results of this system would be monitored in real time and used to hold offending parties accountable and inform retraining and curricula for the school’s community."

"The letter also demanded increased diversity among the school’s faculty. It called for the creation of a joint initiative between the medical school and Yale-New Haven Hospital aimed at increasing the recruitment and retention of female, minority and LGBTQ residents and faculty, as well as the creation of a visiting rotation clerkship program for students from underrepresented groups."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
This is what happens when you don't have grades for exams.

Reactions: 66 users
These damn oberma babies.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"In the letter, students described ways in which the “formal curriculum” of the medical school misrepresents and underrepresents people of color while remaining silent on the way in which medicine is complicit in propagating health disparities. Students added that the “hidden curriculum” — learning done outside the classroom — forces students of color to bear microaggressions perpetrated by peers and instructors and to work within a community where women and people of color are underrepresented within the faculty and student body."

I wish someone from that school would elaborate on the microaggressions they are perceiving and if they have any solutions that go behind replacing swatches of faculty. Sometimes there are small nuggets of truth that can be addressed in ways that aren't so drastic.

This is what happens when you don't have grades for exams.

Exactly. Remove stress and people manufacture it on their own.

Funny a bunch of silver spoon kids crying about diversity

Reactions: 29 users
Call the whaaaaaambulance.

Reactions: 18 users

Interesting excerpts:

"Among the measures demanded were the creation and maintenance of a “genuinely inclusive” learning environment. To achieve this end, students called for an online bias reporting system through which they could report incidents of inappropriate behavior. The results of this system would be monitored in real time and used to hold offending parties accountable and inform retraining and curricula for the school’s community."

"The letter also demanded increased diversity among the school’s faculty. It called for the creation of a joint initiative between the medical school and Yale-New Haven Hospital aimed at increasing the recruitment and retention of female, minority and LGBTQ residents and faculty, as well as the creation of a visiting rotation clerkship program for students from underrepresented groups."
858.gif

Reactions: 28 users
Alpern should just dump the entire class. Bunch of whiny babies. Crap like this is happening at my school too. Honestly makes our entire profession look worse.

Reactions: 6 users
"... one of the great secrets of human nature is that the one thing people want more than love, security, sex, chocolate or big-screen TV's is to feel hard done by. Why? Because being hard done by is the ****. Feeling hard done by is the sweetest of drugs. If you're being persecuted -- it must mean you're doing the right thing, right? You get the mellow buzz of the moral high ground, but without arrogantly claiming it as your own. You get an instant, supportive community in a big dark scary world of such scope it may well literally be beyond rational human processing. When you are hard done by, you get purpose in a life where otherwise, you'd have to find your own. And when you ride that high, then no amount of logic, no pointing out that in actuality you and your beliefs are at a high point of popularity and influence for the last hundred years -- is going to pry that sweet crack-pipe of moral indignation from your hands." - John Rogers

Sums it all up quite nicely and better than I could ever do.

Reactions: 13 users
To achieve this end, students called for an online bias reporting system through which they could report incidents of inappropriate behavior. The results of this system would be monitored in real time and used to hold offending parties accountable and inform retraining and curricula for the school’s community.

You have to be ****ing kidding me. wtf is this, 1984? They're making a cultural center, hiring new faculty based on them being minorities and looking for curricular reform that is “anti-oppressive”. What does that even mean? These kids need actual problems. Plenty of people live with these "microaggressions" their whole lives and never whined about it like these coddled ivy league medical school babies. They should start studying for step 1, not waste time with nonsense.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hate the word microaggressions

It is a good way to identify people who have nothing better to do with their time than compete in the Oppression Olympics. So, there's that.

What's worse: kids losing their **** over microagressions or kids losing their **** over kids losing their **** over microagressions?

Seems like some people in this thread could take their own advice on finding a past time or something.

Reactions: 11 users
The first one.
Agreed. I'll be at school minding my own damn business and worrying about things that actually matter (STEP 1) and it won't be long until im encouraged to attend some dumb rally about someone who feels "wronged." Oh yeah, then those people proceed to give me dirty looks and judge me because I don't care.

What's worse: kids losing their **** over microagressions or kids losing their **** over kids losing their **** over microagressions?

Seems like some people in this thread could take their own advice on finding a past time or something.

What about a kid losing his **** over kids losing their **** over kids losing their **** over microaggressions. Maybe you could start reading a dictionary as your pastime.

And forget about micro aggression, medicine is full of borderline sociopaths and egomaniacs who regularly engage in macro aggression, often behind your back, after shaking your hand and telling you how great and helpful you are.

Reactions: 32 users

Interesting excerpts:

What do they have to say about Asians then?

What about a kid losing his **** over kids losing their **** over kids losing their **** over microaggressions. Maybe you could start reading a dictionary as your pastime.

I am the embodiment of serenity and peace. I do not lose my **** over anything.

A quick analysis of your post history tells another story, however. Your capacity for outrage is quite remarkable. You would have made a fine SJW in another life.

Reactions: 1 user
I am the embodiment of serenity and peace. I do not lose my **** over anything.

A quick analysis of your post history tells another story, however. Your capacity for outrage is quite remarkable. You would have made a fine SJW in another life.

yoda is that you?

Reactions: 2 users
Can you imagine getting a beer with any of these all stars? Holy ****. Obama, liberal America. Pretty soon they're going to go on hunger strikes if the faculty doesn't include members of the Syrian refugee population. Some of those students might actually post here. Probably the posters defending no longer using the title Doctor.

Every time I introduce myself as "Doctor _____" I am committing the unholiest of microaggressions against the "differently educated" masses.

Reactions: 23 users
Man sometimes I wish some of ya'll were in my class. At least your personalities.

All I get is a bunch of easily offended losers.

Yeah there are exceptions but only a few

Reactions: 7 users
Can you imagine getting a beer with any of these all stars? Holy ****. Obama, liberal America. Pretty soon they're going to go on hunger strikes if the faculty doesn't include members of the Syrian refugee population. Some of those students might actually post here. Probably the posters defending no longer using the title Doctor.

these are the same people who write articles about how they feel oppressed after reading an article from an opposing viewpoint.

these are the same people who write articles about how they feel oppressed after reading an article from an opposing viewpoint.

College is a place to reinforce whatever views you already hold, not for challenging a developing mind to grow and mature.

I don’t want to debate. I want to talk about my pain

This brings up a point one of my friends made recently. These idiotic types are the educational equivalent of narcotic seekers in medicine.

And, just like pain med seekers, they cry wolf often enough that eventually people will realize they're completely full of ****. And when significant/newsworthy oppression or discrimination actually occurs, we'll be too tired of their schtick to care.

I'll believe these Yale med students truly want to make a difference and fight racial disparities in healthcare when they go for Family Med, Pediatrics with no fellowship, Med/Peds, or IM with no fellowship in huge numbers as evidenced by their match lists. Right now their match lists show the complete opposite of what they say they are fighting for.

Reactions: 21 users
I can't stand this weak pathetic generation. I can't wait until they begin to actually work for a living and start thinking how stupid they were in 2015.

Honest question: what exactly are you guys indignant about?

I'll believe these Yale med students truly want to make a difference and fight racial disparities in healthcare when they go for Family Med, Pediatrics with no fellowship, Med/Peds, or IM with no fellowship in huge numbers as evidenced by their match lists. Right now their match lists show the complete opposite of what they say they are fighting for.

10% of yales class goes into derm, and then lots more into other cush specialties just so they can spend more time on social justice issues, no?

Their advocacy doesn't extend much past taking a picture of themselves laying down in white coats with the tagline "white coats for black lives" as if they were making some tangible difference in the world

Reactions: 11 users
Because (1) the "true believers" pushing this are a very small subset of the student body, and (2) people grow up as they gain exposure to the wider world.
Yeah, I'm a gay liberal who went to a top 10 school. A lot of this stuff is being blown up by the media. There is small group of vocal people and the media propagated their message, so it spread. Many people disagree with their complaints (and actively speak out against them), but the media is only focusing on the stuff people want to see. Then other students just go along with the vocal people because they don't want to be ostracized or sucked into stupid arguments for disagreeing.

I'm pissed because if they actually cared about lower-income students, they wouldn't all be pushing for bs sensitivity programs that will increase tuition

Interesting excerpts:

How does self-directed study force students of color to experience microaggressions?

it's aggravating because no one can reasonably speak against it without fear of being misconstrued as a bigot or racist (I.E., PC principal).

Because (1) the "true believers" pushing this are a very small subset of the student body, and (2) people grow up as they gain exposure to the wider world.
I don't know exactly how many students Yale takes in a particular 1st year class, but 91 medical students is almost 1 entire Yale medical school class.
Yeah, I'm a gay liberal who went to a top 10 school. A lot of this stuff is being blown up by the media...Then other students just go along with the vocal people because they don't want to be ostracized or sucked into stupid arguments for disagreeing.
The "media" here is the Yale Daily News, their own university newspaper. It is not being exaggerated by the mainstream media.
10% of yales class goes into derm, and then lots more into other cush specialties just so they can spend more time on social justice issues, no?
It's interesting that where the rubber meets the road, their social justice activism against racial healthcare disparities takes a complete backseat to their own personal career specialty ambitions, making them really no different than the rest of us. I truly respect people who want to address this real issue and then lead by example, and there are people who do that. These Yalies aren't those people and are hypocrites.
Their advocacy doesn't extend much past taking a picture of themselves laying down in white coats with the tagline "white coats for black lives" as if they were making some tangible difference in the world
And coming up with their own Twitter hashtag. Got to have that.

Reactions: 1 users
Students added that the “hidden curriculum” — learning done outside the classroom — forces students of color to bear microaggressions perpetrated by peers and instructors
what does this mean? Can anyone give me an example? Being genuine here, I want to actually understand the complaints.

And aren't they already 50% female every year?

Reactions: 1 user
The "media" here is the Yale Daily News, their own university newspaper. It is not being exaggerated by the mainstream media.
It could be only a small group of people voicing these complaints and rallying other people to their cause. And then why are they all-of-a-sudden worrying about microaggressions that didn't bother them a few years ago? Media-fueled craze

Like the whole Claremont Mckenna dean getting fired- the news was all over the fact that a couple of hunger-striking students for a dean to resign, but there were no reports on the article written by the editors of Claremont's newspaper saying how childish those protestors were. The news does selectively present only one side to advance their agenda/ratings.

Edit: Even look at this stuff about Christians complaining about the Starbucks cup and the shape of the Christmas tree Reese's. Do you think a lot of people actually had a problem with a freaking cup or do think a couple of people tweeted a complaint and the media exaggerated it because people eat up those kinds of stories?

Reactions: 1 users
It certainly seems like there's a lot of people that would love to read about their ridiculousness being debunked though...wasn't the McKenna dean's offense just referring to minority students as not their "traditional" student? That's like, historical fact, the school has typically been non minority and non poor. It's something the minorities themselves bring up all the time!

I went to a liberal arts school. I wholeheartedly believe it made me a better, smarter, more well-rounded individual without sacrificing anything substantial in the way of learning science. I studied philosophy along with a hard science. I would strongly encourage anybody I loved to go the liberal arts route.

That said, I have encountered many people use the word "microaggression" and exactly none of them were anything but idiots when they said it.

Social justice warfare has nothing to do with solving real problems and has everything to do with people trying to escape the constraints of their own bleeding heart identity politics. These people live in a simplistic world of black and white: rich vs poor, black vs white, men vs women, patriarchy and "hegemony." They are the beneficiaries of the very types of privilege that they vilify and the only way to escape their own wrath is to claim clemency as the advocates of the powerless.

Reactions: 9 users
Social justice warfare has nothing to do with solving real problems and has everything to do with people trying to escape the constraints of their own bleeding heart identity politics. These people live in a simplistic world of black and white: rich vs poor, black vs white, men vs women, patriarchy and "hegemony." They are the beneficiaries of the very types of privilege that they vilify and the only way to escape their own wrath is to claim clemency as the advocates of the powerless.
Can tell you had a phil major lol

I used to laugh at SJWs. But now I'm genuinely starting to fear for the future when these people get into power. The level of surveillance these people advocate is scary. An anonymous bias reporting system? Like that couldn't be abused, and all under the guise of indignant self-righteousness. It makes me sick to imagine how many innocent people could lose their livelihoods because they looked at someone the wrong way.

I don't understand how that's not already an option though, you can always send an anonymous email or letter complaining about a microagression (what is this btw?). They just want an especially easy to use version

Probably the most reprehensible part about this is that the school is entirely likely to appease their demands, which only encourages more of the same. The slippery slope has already gone too far, schools have been caving in left, right and centre for the last few years to the demands of social justice warriors who specialize in fabricating petty grievances as though no student should ever be exposed to something that does not perfectly align with their worldview. This appeasement only encourages them to push the envelope even further, concocting even more demands based on even pettier grievances. This will probably continue as a positive feedback loop for the foreseeable future until another cultural shift occurs, away from the institutionalized encouragement of outrage and claims of victimhood at every minor unintentional slight that one encounters, and back towards common sense.

I seriously don't understand how these fragile minds even function in their day-to-day lives without having mental breakdowns. Just wait until an entire generation of coddled, sheltered children graduate pre-scho ...errr medical school, and start working in the real world without their pacifiers and comfort blankets, there will be mass hysteria.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has way too many trigger words, will definitely need a safe place after reading it.