Xavier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveysmith54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone apply there or get admitted after the katrina tragedy?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you hear that and are they Xavier students? They usually get accepted first.

Caverject said:
Yeah, quite a few have applied and been admitted.
I was told that acceptance or denial letters would be mailed the first week of May!!!! :mad:

There is no interview. You will get either an acceptance or rejection letter.

tlnbtb said:
There is no interview. You will get either an acceptance or rejection letter.
I heard the exact same thing!!!!No Interviews!!!

steveysmith54 said:
wow. no interviews. Really? Are they like they only ones to do that?

Is it the same process for fall 2007?
I suspect that they only didn't have interviews this year in light of Katrina. I would venture that they won't decide about interviews for '07 for a while since the recovery process is ongoing.

Xavier stopped doing interviews since 2005, because they said they received over 1,000 applications each year, and don't have time to do interviews. Also, they aren't mailing the acceptance/rejection letters until early May for those who applied for the Fall 2006 semester. And one more thing, it is true that they accept their students first, then whatever spots are left open, they choose from the rest of the pool of applicants that aren't Xavier Pre-Pharmacy students. I wish I would have known that they accept their students first when I first started college. I would have put out the $6,000+ each semester for their Pre-Pharm if I knew I would have a very good chance of getting into their Pharmacy school.

a504n said:
Xavier stopped doing interviews since 2005, because they said they received over 1,000 applications each year, and don't have time to do interviews. Also, they aren't mailing the acceptance/rejection letters until early May for those who applied for the Fall 2006 semester. And one more thing, it is true that they accept their students first, then whatever spots are left open, they choose from the rest of the pool of applicants that aren't Xavier Pre-Pharmacy students. I wish I would have known that they accept their students first when I first started college. I would have put out the $6,000+ each semester for their Pre-Pharm if I knew I would have a very good chance of getting into their Pharmacy school.

I would of did the same thing.......Almost all of their students get it in and open spots are slim from my understanding...but keep hope alive!! :luck:

Caliyaddamean said:
I would of did the same thing.......Almost all of their students get it in and open spots are slim from my understanding...but keep hope alive!! :luck:
How many do they accept and how out of state student they accept. Also, do you know what stats they are looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
ladypharm7 said:
How many do they accept and how out of state student they accept. Also, do you know what stats they are looking for?
They accept between 150-175 each year. I'm not sure how many out of state students they accept. All you need to qualify for their Pharmacy school is a minimum GPA of 2.5 in pre-pharm courses, 3 letters of recommendations and a 250 word statement of interest. No PCAT or personal interviews.

Where did u get that info about 1000 applicants? According to the class of 2005 stats, their applicant to admission ratio was 4:1 and a 3.2 GPA was average. IS that not accurate. What is the source of the info that you have?

thanks

steveysmith54 said:
Where did u get that info about 1000 applicants? According to the class of 2005 stats, their applicant to admission ratio was 4:1 and a 3.2 GPA was average. IS that not accurate. What is the source of the info that you have?

thanks

The 4:1 was from 2004. I was told about the 1,000 applicants and them not doing interviews anymore from the couselor of Pre-Pharmacy from Xavier. She came to our school (UNO), to speak to the pre-pharm students and answered any questions we had about applying to Xavier College of Pharmacy. Also, I went to Xavier yesterday, and the pre-pharmacy office told me that the application pool from Fall 2005 was over 1,000 and also this Fall 2006, even with Katrina hitting, they still have over 1,000 applicants. She said it will continue to grow every year, because pharmacy is getting very competitive.

Are u getting a degree from UNO or just taking the prereqs? That's where I went to take my prereqs but I think if I went to Xavier instead, I would have gotten in last year.

Their applicant number more than doubled even after katrina in just one year?

I guess I've heard stranger things happen.

But wouldn't that make them want to conduct interviews?

tlnbtb said:
Are u getting a degree from UNO or just taking the prereqs? That's where I went to take my prereqs but I think if I went to Xavier instead, I would have gotten in last year.

tnlbtb,

This is my last semester (spring) at UNO, I am currently taking my last 2 pre-reqs for pre-pharm. I am not getting a degree at UNO, I only went there to take my pre-reqs. I didn't go to Xavier when I first started college, because the tuition was too expensive. If I would have known that Xavier choses their own students first, I would have just took out a lot of loans and went to Xavier to begin with. Did you get accepted to Xavier Pharmacy?

steveysmith54 said:
Their applicant number more than doubled even after katrina in just one year?

I guess I've heard stranger things happen.

But wouldn't that make them want to conduct interviews?

I have no idea what the applicant pool number is. Two different employees from Xavier told me that the applicant pool was over 1,000 last year, and it is also over 1,000 this year for the Fall 2006 term. They said the reason they stopped the interviews is because they have too many applicants and no time to interview them.

I got waitlisted 2 years ago and my advisor told me to rewrite my ps and I should get in the following year because people on the waitlist usually get priority the following year. So I did nothing but work the following year and guess what, I was rejected the following year. I called the counselor and the same person did not even want to talk to me. I went to Xavier and retake some general ed classes I did not do well in when I was a undergrad and got A's and also did a lot of volunteer. Hoping this is the year I finally get in.

tlnbtb said:
I got waitlisted 2 years ago and my advisor told me to rewrite my ps and I should get in the following year because people on the waitlist usually get priority the following year. So I did nothing but work the following year and guess what, I was rejected the following year. I called the counselor and the same person did not even want to talk to me. I went to Xavier and retake some general ed classes I did not do well in when I was a undergrad and got A's and also did a lot of volunteer. Hoping this is the year I finally get in.

A friend of mine who's in his 3rd year of Phamacy school at Xavier, used to go to UNO, and he had a 2.4 GPA at UNO, and he decided to transfer to Xavier and retake his pre-reqs and ended up making a 3.9 gpa there. He said Xavier is cake compared to UNO. He told me basically the only good chance of you getting accepted, is you have to go to Xavier for at least 3 semesters in a row full time to be considered a high priority Xavier student. That's what he did and that's how he got in. He said 90% of the pharm students in his class are from Xavier pre-pharm. I was going to just retake my pre-reqs at Xavier for 3 semesters if I don't get accepted this Fall and apply again after my 3 semesters are over with. I asked Xavier yesterday if I can transfer and re-take my pre-reqs and they said I can, however they don't recommend it. They said that will not increase your chances of getting into their school, because they asked why I wanted to do that, and I told her about the 3 semester high priority Xavier student thing and she said that is not true at all. Of course, I don't expect them to admit they accept their students first, so I didn't argue. She also said they changed their pre-pharm program this year. It's been changed from the 2 year pre-pharm to a 4 year pre-pharm/chem major. Therefore, if I do transfer next semester for pre-pharm, I would have to pick up after Organic Chem 2, since I'm finished with my pre-reqs, and I have to continue working towards a Chemistry degreee. I don't know what to do.

So why haven't they change the prereq requirements on their web? I am very skeptical when it comes to what the people tell you from Xavier, I can't tell you how many different answers I've gotten just from asking different people when I called. I don't know what I am going to do either if I don't get in, I already have a degree so I can't continue to work on my b.s. Just hanging there and hope something good will happen. Oh and I really miss UNO, that is a good school and their classes are so much harder than Xavier.

tlnbtb said:
So why haven't they change the prereq requirements on their web? I am very skeptical when it comes to what the people tell you from Xavier, I can't tell you how many different answers I've gotten just from asking different people when I called. I don't know what I am going to do either if I don't get in, I already have a degree so I can't continue to work on my b.s. Just hanging there and hope something good will happen. Oh and I really miss UNO, that is a good school and their classes are so much harder than Xavier.

I told my friend who's a P3 at Xavier Pharmacy, and he told me that lady is lieing to me about the 4 year Pre-Pharm/Chem program, he told me they are giving me the run around. They probably are, I don't know. I've heard different things from the people at Xavier also. When I went there 2 months ago, I was asking about my transfer application I sent in to attend the spring 2006 undergrad, and the man told me that since I am already processed for the College of Pharmacy, I can't be processed as a transfer student, and he told me that, even if I wasn't processed for the COP, they wouldn't accept me as a transfer student, because I already completed my pre-reqs, yet the lady I spoke to yesterday told me I can transfer, but I would have to work towards a Chemistry degree.

I am very interested in applying to Xavier Pharmacy school this coming application cycle. Please, give me some info about the school: the professors, the city, students and the crime rate in New Orleans. If you are Xavier pharmacy student, give me some reasons to apply to the school. And if you know any negative things about the school, let me know also. Right now, I am not worried about the weather. I want to know how good the pharmacy program is.

Thank You

I am very interested in applying to Xavier Pharmacy school this coming application cycle. Please, give me some info about the school: the professors, the city, students and the crime rate in New Orleans. If you are Xavier pharmacy student, give me some reasons to apply to the school. And if you know any negative things about the school, let me know also. Right now, I am not worried about the weather. I want to know how good the pharmacy program is.
It kinda drives me crazy when people ask about the city and crime rate, because it's hard to summarize. Anyways, the crime rate is bad in certain areas, the city is BELOW SEA LEVEL, and there are still abandoned properties which haven't been redone yet.
With that said, I know almost all of my neighbors within a quarter mile; I take comfort in that. The flood lines from Hurricane Katrina are an interesting phenomenon, and the city is much less crowded now.
Good reasons:
They don't require the PCAT yet, but who knows when they will require it. Their minimum GPA requirement is a 2.5. I believe, in my opinion, that they really only look at your pre-req GPA. So if you have some odd class that you failed or got a D in, you don't have to worry too much. The library and science buildings are very nice. The pharmacy building is also nice.
There are good and bad professors there, like most schools.
I think the financial aid department could use a lot of help. They are quite a mess.
Sometimes things get unorganized in the pharmacy school, but eventually the problems are resolved.

In other words study a little harder, do good on the PCAT, and try to get into another school. I'm sure it's like any other thing in New Orleans, completely screwed up. I've lived here for 3 years now, and I'm counting the days until I either get accepted to pharmacy school at UF, or transfer to a different duty station next June. Of course this place has its good points, but overall its not a very good place to live. And with the average admittance GPA being like 3.2, you have to wonder how hard (thorough) the pharmacy school can actually be. Thats just my two cents, didn't mean to offend anyone that goes there.

In other words study a little harder, do good on the PCAT, and try to get into another school. I'm sure it's like any other thing in New Orleans, completely screwed up. I've lived here for 3 years now, and I'm counting the days until I either get accepted to pharmacy school at UF, or transfer to a different duty station next June. Of course this place has its good points, but overall its not a very good place to live. And with the average admittance GPA being like 3.2, you have to wonder how hard (thorough) the pharmacy school can actually be. Thats just my two cents, didn't mean to offend anyone that goes there.

I think the problem is not how hard the pharmacy school is. Why? Because the school doesn't take the board exam for you as it only prepares you for it. I found out that student Xavier students have little above 80 percentile Naplex passing rate. I think this is good.

It kinda drives me crazy when people ask about the city and crime rate, because it's hard to summarize. Anyways, the crime rate is bad in certain areas, the city is BELOW SEA LEVEL, and there are still abandoned properties which haven't been redone yet.
With that said, I know almost all of my neighbors within a quarter mile; I take comfort in that. The flood lines from Hurricane Katrina are an interesting phenomenon, and the city is much less crowded now.
Good reasons:
They don't require the PCAT yet, but who knows when they will require it. Their minimum GPA requirement is a 2.5. I believe, in my opinion, that they really only look at your pre-req GPA. So if you have some odd class that you failed or got a D in, you don't have to worry too much. The library and science buildings are very nice. The pharmacy building is also nice.
There are good and bad professors there, like most schools.
I think the financial aid department could use a lot of help. They are quite a mess.
Sometimes things get unorganized in the pharmacy school, but eventually the problems are resolved.

Hey, thanks for your reply. Okay, I will be starting as P1 this fall 07 at Xavier and thanks once again for your intelligent reply. I see that Xavier has a good Naplex passing rate (above 80%). Can you tell me about the P1 courses and if u can give me any advice for this coming fall?

I'm confused... I thought you were applying to the school. Your new post says that you're going the fall???

I'm confused... I thought you were applying to the school. Your new post says that you're going the fall???

Yes, I am going there this fall. I didn't want to put it out there and I wanted to see if there are Xavier students on this forum.

Well you could definitely send me a PM if you have any more questions. I didn't go to pre-pharm there, so I can only give you a perspective as a pharmacy student, which probably what you need.:)

anybody else applying here?

I'm applying for Fall 2009, its the only school that I'm applying for because I don't want to leave New Orleans....I LOVE IT! Also my family is here and I'm a single parent so any support is going to help alot!

Although founded to develop African-American Christian leadership, today more than half of its population is non-Catholic and 10 percent is non-black.

Does Xavier discriminate against white males?