Xavier in Aruba: Where is the information???!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jokerabc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, where can i find out basic info for Xavier? this board is not that busy, and i don't trust some of these carib school's website anyway.

i'm just looking for basic information like licensure status in how many states, how hard is it go get clinics, are students waiting a long time between rotations, the USMLE Step 1 pass rate, and a year by year residency appointment list. where are these things?

And i'll ask the school to give me a list of alumni I can contact for information. That's one of the best things to do right?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, where can i find out basic info for Xavier? this board is not that busy, and i don't trust some of these carib school's website anyway.

i'm just looking for basic information like licensure status in how many states, how hard is it go get clinics, are students waiting a long time between rotations, the USMLE Step 1 pass rate, and a year by year residency appointment list. where are these things?

And i'll ask the school to give me a list of alumni I can contact for information. That's one of the best things to do right?

---------------------------------

.. and basic information you get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_University_School_of_Medicine,_Aruba

There is nothing listed at Wiki on Xavier.

Also, I just went through all of the hospitals that Xavier has on their website where recent graduates have gotten residency. I clicked on all the links and the ones that have their current residents listed with med school, HALF OF THEM DO NOT EVEN HAVE A XAVIER GRAD. Are they just listing the hospitals there thinking that people won't look into it any further because they are just inflating their "residency hospital list?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you may have answered your own question.

If they tell you they have grads in programs, and then you check those programs and they don't, that's a bad sign. Either they're lying, those grads failed out, they graduated years ago and they stopped taking Xavier grads, etc. No matter what the answer is, it's bad.

Just for fun I went to take a look at Xavier's website. They list their hospital affiliations, which as expected are a bunch of community programs. Interestingly, they list John Stroger in Chicago. "Wow!" I thought. That's the new name for Cook County and is a GREAT place to do rotations. So, I went to their website, and "Surprise" -- in big red letters "No Non-US Students accepted" Oh well, I guess Xavier's website has a small error on it.

So, I decided to work down the list. Since I'm in IM, I focused on the IM rotations. First one on the list is "American Medical Clinical" in Chicago. Never heard of it. Interestingly, neither has Google. Googling it finds some medical beauty spa place in Florida, which doesn't look promising.

Well, OK, maybe two errors. Let's try the next one, helpfully named "Atlanta Hospitals (Medstars)". "Atlanta Hospitals" doesn't sound very helpful, as there are lots of hospitals in Atlanta. So I googled "Medstars", which demonstrates a private company that offers to set up any IMG, for a fee, with a rotation. Per their website, they have 2 ACGME hospitals. No idea which ones. I wonder if Xavier pays the fee you need to pay Medstar, or if you get to pay that?

I'd tell you to go look/post on ValueMD, but I see you've already done that.

Bottom line is this -- if it's this difficult to figure out, you should know there's a problem.

Please, don't go there. This place isn't reputable. Just do a google search. I believe there was a scandal a couple of years ago, where they showed how bad the place really was, that it's basically a storefront operation in some Caribbean country, and that country won't even let their grads practice or do a residency there. Anyone overseas can set themselves up and claim to be a medical school, but that doesn't mean they ARE a real medical school. Do your homework and don't try to cut corners. There are some "real" medical schools in the Caribbean. Even by attending those you are setting yourself up for an uphill battle to get a US residency, but they can be a viable option for some people. If you are so academically marginal that only Xavier (out of Caribbean schools) will take you, then I don't think you are ready to attend med school.

---------------------------------

.. and basic information you get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_University_School_of_Medicine,_Aruba

Others are right. Look at the wiki page, school established in only 2005. Do they have grads in hospital programs? unlikely. But charges $7,000/semester in tuition, basic sciences.

Caribbean schools charge more in clinicals even.

At least $7000 a sem for 10 sem. A money-making scheme.

look into SGU,ROSS, auc, SABA, MUA, AUA

This forum is NOT the place to be asking info on Caribbean schools. Visit valuemd.com and search xavier arubas specific forum. second of all, don't ever apply there.

pm me @ valuemd for any questions, same username
i will tell you which schools to apply in regards to you education, tuition, pass rates, etc.

Last month got acceptance to Xavier. Anybody know how legit. the prgram is?

I personally do not know much about Xavier however, I do know a lot about Caribbean medical schools in general. What made you decide on Xavier out of the other choices out there? Typically, it is good to go with the older schools, or at least that have a track record. The things that were mentioned above certainly would scare me off a tad if I was a prospective student. When do you start?

They accepted me for May 2013. I also applied to St. George but have not heard back. What do you know about St. George?

They accepted me for May 2013. I also applied to St. George but have not heard back. What do you know about St. George?

SGU is by far the best Caribbean school. And the Big 4 (SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba) are better than the rest. Avoid Xavier if at all possible.

P.S. Sorry about the Ravens yesterday. :)