where can I practice medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Usmle_Seeker2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm trying to find out where I can practice medicine outside the U.S. I'm a U.S citizen, graduated from a Caribbean medical school. My chances of getting admitted into residency in the U.S is very low. I want to save some time by avoiding this route. I'm not very interested either in doing residency in the U.S even if I was a U.S school graduate or a strong applicant. I'm ok with living the rest of my life out of the U.S as long as I'm living in a safe country,earning a living wage and practicing medicine as a physician. I don't want/ care to be rich. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How in the world are you gonna pay off hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt that you got from the Caribbean? Unless you had money saved up and financed your tuition or had a parent pay for it, you won't be able to pay back so much debt working in another country, take the carribean or India or another asian country for example, doctors make like 4000-5000 a month, and thats after experience, sure thats a very good salary in those countries and will give you a comfortable life, but you will likely spend the next 40 years of your life paying back the debt. The countries where you might able to make as much as an American doc are Europe ,UK, Canada and Australia and unfortunately those countries have barriers of entry(residency, exams etc) very similar to the the US. You could try Dubai, but I believe they will only hire American trained doctors who did their residency in the US, I don't know if they have residency training programs there but you could look into it. Your kind of in a pickle and your only real option is to apply to every SINGLE FM program in the US and pray that one takes you.

Reactions: 1 user
How in the world are you gonna pay off hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt that you got from the Caribbean? Unless you had money saved up and financed your tuition or had a parent pay for it, you won't be able to pay back so much debt working in another country, take the carribean or India or another asian country for example, doctors make like 4000-5000 a month, and thats after experience, sure thats a very good salary in those countries and will give you a comfortable life, but you will likely spend the next 40 years of your life paying back the debt. The countries where you might able to make as much as an American doc are Europe ,UK, Canada and Australia and unfortunately those countries have barriers of entry(residency, exams etc) very similar to the the US. You could try Dubai, but I believe they will only hire American trained doctors who did their residency in the US, I don't know if they have residency training programs there but you could look into it. Your kind of in a pickle and your only real option is to apply to every SINGLE FM program in the US and pray that one takes you.
Thank you for the reply future doctor, I don't have much debt, because I wasn't using loans to pay for my school tuition. I did try to apply for Dubai residency, but they require an internship before starting residency. And it is almost impossible to do internship in Dubai if you are not a resident in the country.