Avalon University Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sxph

Reaction score
Hello, are there any students of the Curaçao medical school Avalon University who studied there and can tell me if it is worth it overall? Anything about the school that is not on the website or online? Please, I need to know more to decide if I want to go. Also about their premed program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, are there any students of the Curaçao medical school Avalon University who studied there and can tell me if it is worth it overall? Anything about the school that is not on the website or online? Please, I need to know more to decide if I want to go. Also about their premed program.
Wanting to see if anyone has any information on this school or where one can get an accurate idea of what the match rate is?

Wanting to see if anyone has any information on this school or where one can get an accurate idea of what the match rate is?
If u r looking for a detailed information, it is best to contact the school. Also; searching students input at different websites (e.g. valuemd.com) could help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi sxph! Avalon is reasonably good med school with small classes, low tuition and plenty clinical rotation spots..! Curaçao is a calm and quiet island to study; Avalon has very helpful teachers and admin. Above, med school is all about the effort you put in..!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Pro-tip: if you're having a hard time finding graduation and match data for a school, it's probably bad.

Just in case it may help u applied again..!!

Just in case it may help u applied again..!!
A match list is not what we mean by "match data." Much more useful than the list of matched programs would be attrition rate and match rate.

Reactions: 1 user
As usual, many of these Caribbean schools aren't completely forthcoming with their data. But we can make some inferences.

The match list site you posted lists 37 GME positions. 3 of them are prelim only -- two prelim surgery, and one transitional year. Whether we want to count those as "success" or "failure" is debatable, but let's count them as a success.

If you go to the WFME World Directory and look up Avalon University, they report how many people they enrolled. For 2018 (which would be when 2022 people would have started), they report 92 admitted. Of note, this is a smaller number than 2017 or 2019 when ~120 were admitted. Still, for this we will give them the benefit of the doubt.

That's a success rate of 37/92 = 40.2%. 60% of those admitted appear to fail out or otherwise not end up in a GME position.

Whether that's "reasonably good" or "a total scam/disaster" depends upon how you look at it. And probably depends on whether you're in the 40% who make it, or 60% who don't

Of course, everyone thinks they will be in the 40%.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hi!! I’m a current student of Avalon university, if anyone is looking for information on it / looking to go here I can give advice (pure facts and information)

Hi!! I’m a current student of Avalon university, if anyone is looking for information on it / looking to go here I can give advice (pure facts and information)
How many students are typically at Avalon in a class, and where are the majority from?