WVSOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys...I was wondering if anyone knew what the interview to acceptance ratio has been in previous years. I have an interview on 11/19 and really want in this school!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So here are a few tid bits that I searched for when I was in all of your shoes last year.

1. What stats do I need to get in with.
Gpa-Higher than three
MCAT-Alot have 23-28
Obviously the higher the better, but those are the stats I hear around campus

2. Interview day fears
If you get an interview they are really interested. Wvsom dosnt interview everybody, just those that they are interested in.

3. Tuition is really high
We all thought that, but when you think about it, you ll make enough to cover it, just live simply now and you should be fine.

4. What classes are good to take before starting
ANATOMY, HISTOLOGY, AND BIOCHEM, that is 80% of your first semester

Feel free to send me questions.

Note: these are approx. each person/interview/experience is different

Hey guys...I was wondering if anyone knew what the interview to acceptance ratio has been in previous years. I have an interview on 11/19 and really want in this school!

Thanks

I heard last year a number as high as 75%, but remember not everybody says and not everybody who is accepted attends

Members don't see this ad :)
It was about ten days for me between application and invite, ten days between invite and interview, and 5 days between interview and acceptance.

Thank you! I hope I'll hear something that soon. Waiting sucks. I'm just at that point where I want to hear something. I'm hoping my status will change by Thanksgiving, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Hi there - I'm interviewing the 13th of December. Anyone want to rent a car together from to get to and from the airport December 12th?

- kat

Hi there - I'm interviewing the 13th of December. Anyone want to rent a car together from to get to and from the airport December 12th?

- kat

If I get an interview that day Ill be so happy that Ill pick you up on the way there.

Hey everyone!

Congrats on all those who received interview invites/ acceptances! I have a quick question...what does decision pending mean vs decision deferred?

Hey everyone!

Congrats on all those who received interview invites/ acceptances! I have a quick question...what does decision pending mean vs decision deferred?

Decision pending => No Decision has been made... It's pending.
Decision deferred => Just a hold.

Decision pending => No Decision has been made... It's pending.
Decision deferred => Just a hold.

So does that mean they kind of like you if it says pending? Or does everyones status switch to that once they are review initially?

So does that mean they kind of like you if it says pending? Or does everyones status switch to that once they are review initially?

It's tough to say, but it unfortunately seems like the latter. I'm sure there have been people who have been straight out rejected though.

I was accepted back in September, but will be declining my accepted because I have gotten into a school on the West coast where my entire immediate family is, and I would like to spend some time close to them (I have 3 younger siblings).

Although I will not be attending.. I wanted to say that those who have been accepted should feel very lucky and realize how great a school WVSOM is. After attending 5 interviews, I still feel WVSOM has one of the best solidified programs with amazing facilities. I wish you all the best, and I hope that by giving up my spot, I make someone happy by giving them the opportunity to attend such a wonderful school. Goodluck everyone!

Hi there! From what I understand it basically means that your application has not been looked at or been under review yet. May I ask when you received the letter from WVSOM giving you your pin #? It's been almost two weeks for me since I got my id and pin number and my status still says decision pending.

Oh I read that wrong the first time around. "Pending" means they haven't looked at your file yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I read that wrong the first time around. "Pending" means they haven't looked at your file yet.

Well I have been complete since the 2nd week of September with my mcat scores...I originally submitted my app without any mcat scores in July though... So I received my pin number in July.

My status has said decision deferred for the longest time and just a week or so ago I noticed that it had switch to Decision pending so thats why I was curious.

What do you think my chances are? My mcat was 26M (10 in Bio, 9 in Phy, and 7 in verbal) My GPA is 3.4 overall and science 3.5. I'm from Michigan. I have worked at the hospital for 4 years as a nurse assistant with various other extra curriculars. I was just curious what type of applicant they accept for out of state...

Well I have been complete since the 2nd week of September with my mcat scores...I originally submitted my app without any mcat scores in July though... So I received my pin number in July.

My status has said decision deferred for the longest time and just a week or so ago I noticed that it had switch to Decision pending so thats why I was curious.

What do you think my chances are? My mcat was 26M (10 in Bio, 9 in Phy, and 7 in verbal) My GPA is 3.4 overall and science 3.5. I'm from Michigan. I have worked at the hospital for 4 years as a nurse assistant with various other extra curriculars. I was just curious what type of applicant they accept for out of state...

As you probably know, they said they look for 24 and 3.3-3.4. I'm above both of those and placed under deferred status so I have no idea what they're "really" looking for. Like you, I was curious about my OOS status but they said there's no bias...? Not sure if that's true or not.

After an acceptance and interview invites, I haven't really been in contact with them in well over a month. Let me know if you hear anything!

Personally, I think your stats look great! From what I've heard from Angie at WVSOM they are a little behind with reviewing applications. You may want to give them a call and ask them why your status changed. They are very very helpful and kind. I'm sure they can let you know what's going on. :)

My file was started Aug 10th and I heard nothing until interview invite last week. Be prepared for a long wait. OOS, also.

Personally, I think your stats look great! From what I've heard from Angie at WVSOM they are a little behind with reviewing applications. You may want to give them a call and ask them why your status changed. They are very very helpful and kind. I'm sure they can let you know what's going on. :)

Thanks :) I gave them a call and you're right they are very friendly and kind. She said that it was because of a change they received from acomas...she wasn't sure what...

Good luck to you though, I hope you hear something soon as well! :)

The portal changed to Accept Applicant for me last night. I interviewed last Monday, so there is a very quick turnaround for the school (One Week).

The school is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I loved the area, seemed like a very traditional and upscale small town from the 1950s, and it just really seemed like such a classy and sophisticated place. The school was amazing, one of the best sim centers I've ever seen, very technologically advanced classrooms and labs as we learned first hand by accident. But most of all, the people here are by far the nicest I've encountered anywhere so far (which is saying a lot because the admissions personnel and students I've spoken to at other schools are all amazing people). But the faculty and students here really take the cake. The dean was very interesting, open, and friendly. The students were amazing too and very honest. They also invited me to their Halloween party after my interview, which I couldn't make, but they still got brownie points for it.

The downside: $49,950 OOS tuition. There was a great financial aide presentation though and they really made the finances seem very doable. If I were an in-state student, I would have signed right then and there; but I still need to give it some consideration with that price tag for now.

How long does it normally take to hear about an interview? I had my WVSOM Id on 10/29. My status still says decision pending. how long did it take to hear for you OOS'ers? Did they call or email you?

How long does it normally take to hear about an interview? I had my WVSOM Id on 10/29. My status still says decision pending. how long did it take to hear for you OOS'ers? Did they call or email you?

I was accepted online about 5 days after the interview. I'm from Virginia.

I was accepted online about 5 days after the interview. I'm from Virginia.
I'm also curious. How long did it actually take from the time you received your id and pin# to actually be invited to an interview?

Nate, I had my WVSOM id around the same time (maybe a day or two before). From what I've heard from a few med students I know it takes about a month to hear anything, but that's only if there are no problems with your primary. We'll probably hear something around the same time.:)

Nate, I had my WVSOM id around the same time (maybe a day or two before). From what I've heard from a few med students I know it takes about a month to hear anything, but that's only if there are no problems with your primary. We'll probably hear something around the same time.:)

I got mine the 27th so I'll be hearing hopefully around the same time.

so my status since the school has been waiting for my mcat scores which came in 09/14 has been decision deffered. Well, I sent an update via email about some new activities I have been participating in about 3 weeks ago as well. Just yesterday I recieved another status update email, going from "decision deffered" to "Decision Deffered" !!! lol i got so excited when I saw the email and then bam, im under the same status.

so my status since the school has been waiting for my mcat scores which came in 09/14 has been decision deffered. Well, I sent an update via email about some new activities I have been participating in about 3 weeks ago as well. Just yesterday I recieved another status update email, going from "decision deffered" to "Decision Deffered" !!! lol i got so excited when I saw the email and then bam, im under the same status.

Got the "Decision Deferred" today, too... :(((((((

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay and how to get to the school (ie taxi, rent a car, hotel shuttle etc.?)? I'm flying from California for a Dec. 6th interview. It seems like I'll be flying to Roanoke Regional Airport, which is like a 1.5 hour drive from WVSOM (according to mapquest). I'm really excited for the interview, but the whole getting there part seems kind of frustrating. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay and how to get to the school (ie taxi, rent a car, hotel shuttle etc.?)? I'm flying from California for a Dec. 6th interview. It seems like I'll be flying to Roanoke Regional Airport, which is like a 1.5 hour drive from WVSOM (according to mapquest). I'm really excited for the interview, but the whole getting there part seems kind of frustrating. :(

You are going to need to rent a car its just too far to take a taxi and the hotels wont drive that far to pick you up. If you are driving at night make sure to take the freeway there it takes a little longer but my GPS took me on a really small road and I almost ran into a deer.

As far as hotels, there is a group of hotels near the schools. I stayed at the Hampton it had good breakfast and was really nice inside. For a cheaper option people in my group stayed at Quality Inn.

Good Luck

You are going to need to rent a car its just too far to take a taxi and the hotels wont drive that far to pick you up. If you are driving at night make sure to take the freeway there it takes a little longer but my GPS took me on a really small road and I almost ran into a deer.

As far as hotels, there is a group of hotels near the schools. I stayed at the Hampton it had good breakfast and was really nice inside. For a cheaper option people in my group stayed at Quality Inn.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice! I'm flying into Yeager Airport instead now since driving directions look a lot more direct and I will be driving at night. Wheee West Virginia here I come!

i got my id on 10/13! and if u guys are right about the month thing then i hope i hear back from them this week because it'll be a month! im anxiously waiting i really like this school.

i got my id on 10/13! and if u guys are right about the month thing then i hope i hear back from them this week because it'll be a month! im anxiously waiting i really like this school.
I hope you do hear something this week! Let us know if you do.

I hope you do hear something this week! Let us know if you do.

So I called the office this morning because I was getting impatient. I spoke to someone named Jeanette and she said that my file was currently under review with the early october batch and that I would probably be receiving some sort of notification soon and that as soon as they change the status on the online portal, it automatically sends an email so I should keep checking my email! haha. Guess i still wait and wait!:corny:

So I called the office this morning because I was getting impatient. I spoke to someone named Jeanette and she said that my file was currently under review with the early october batch and that I would probably be receiving some sort of notification soon and that as soon as they change the status on the online portal, it automatically sends an email so I should keep checking my email! haha. Guess i still wait and wait!:corny:
Awesome :thumbup:! At least you know you're going to hear something soon. So did your status change to "under review" or is it still decision pending? I'm really hoping I hear something soon also.

Awesome :thumbup:! At least you know you're going to hear something soon. So did your status change to "under review" or is it still decision pending? I'm really hoping I hear something soon also.

Status is same as its been for a whiiile "In process-decision pending". dont think its changed since i got the status check id

In terms of the secondary application, did you all just send a check for the fee? I have already called the office once to ask a question, and I really don't want to bother them again. Thanks for the help!

can someone please post the secondary essay question? i'd love to know what it is even though haven't received the supp application yet. thanks!:)

can someone please post the secondary essay question? i'd love to know what it is even though haven't received the supp application yet. thanks!:)

Please state your reasons for wishing to become an Osteopathic Physician and why you feel WVSOM should consider you as a member of this year’s class.

Did you get an interview? If so, when were you complete for the primary and when did you hear about the interview/when is it?

Decision Deferred

"Decision Deferred" status indicates a hold status while your application is being reviewed and until a final decision is made, i.e. our office may wish to wait for fall grades or require updated MCAT scores before making a final decision. For more information please see link to General FAQ page below.

how rural is wvsom?
WVSOM itself is very modern. Lewisburg is small... probably 40k population in the county, 7k in the "city". Despite its size, there's a lot of culture. I thought it would be a trial living here, but so far it's been anything but. There is always some fort of town festival going on and it's been really fun.

Pros: More to do in the area than I expected. Carnegie Hall, gorgeous area, lots of specialty shops. Only have to fill my gas tank once a month vs once a week as was the case in Atlanta. Nice restaurants and bars in town. Snowshoe ski resort is reasonably close.

Cons: Nearest real mall is in Roanoke. There are two theaters in town but they are small (Netflix). No beaches or amusement parks nearby. No KFC or Taco Bell, if that's your thing.

Though some may cringe at the thought of "living in the middle of nowhere" you are probably going to be too busy studying to worry about it much once you start med school. After two years, you start your clinical rotations elsewhere in WV and won't be living in Lewisburg anyways. Then, you can do your fourth year just about anywhere else.

Decision Deferred

"Decision Deferred" status indicates a hold status while your application is being reviewed and until a final decision is made, i.e. our office may wish to wait for fall grades or require updated MCAT scores before making a final decision. For more information please see link to General FAQ page below.
Don't get discouraged. Do you know why they put you on hold? Are you waiting for an updated MCAT?

Don't get discouraged. Do you know why they put you on hold? Are you waiting for an updated MCAT?

Nope took my mcat in may and have had everything in by end of sept =/ one of my friends said her status was on hold for a while. When i called the office a few months ago they said my stats were very competitive so im not sure whats the deal

Hey folks...so I got an interview invite for early december and I am instate. Any stats for instaters who interview this late? I applied sometime early october with everything in by then. Just wondering if I still have a chance for admissions. How filled are the spots? How often are interviewed applicants deferred?

Nope took my mcat in may and have had everything in by end of sept =/ one of my friends said her status was on hold for a while. When i called the office a few months ago they said my stats were very competitive so im not sure whats the deal

what are your stats if you don't mind sharing? I'm just curious if I would be considered competitive or not.

Hey guys. I was scheduled to have my interview on December 1st at 10:15am. After reading the posts, I realized I will need to rent a car to get to campus from either airport. However, I don't know how to drive!!!!!:confused: Can someone who will also interview on the same day give me a ride from the airport to the school??? I can pay half of the rental fee, and I don't care which airport (Yeager or Roanoke) you plan to arrive. Please just help me out!!! Thanks!!!!

WVSOM is a great school all around. My brother and his wife just graduated there last year and have started their ER residency on Columbus, OH. I visited three times and loved it every time, small town but lots of fun stuff to do around the area. Local bar called "the fort" is awesome, one of the craziest parties I've ever been to was their grad.. "Bat Boy" from the tabloids actually lives in the caves a few miles from campus..ha.

I have an interview there on Dec 17th myself! Also have an interview at KCUMB on Nov 30th so I'm hoping to possibly hear back from KCUMB before my WVSOM interview..anyone know when they want your secondary submitted? I don't really wanna fork over the 80$ unless i don't hear from KCUMB..

WVSOM is a great school all around. My brother and his wife just graduated there last year and have started their ER residency on Columbus, OH. I visited three times and loved it every time, small town but lots of fun stuff to do around the area. Local bar called "the fort" is awesome, one of the craziest parties I've ever been to was their grad.. "Bat Boy" from the tabloids actually lives in the caves a few miles from campus..ha.

I have an interview there on Dec 17th myself! Also have an interview at KCUMB on Nov 30th so I'm hoping to possibly hear back from KCUMB before my WVSOM interview..anyone know when they want your secondary submitted? I don't really wanna fork over the 80$ unless i don't hear from KCUMB..

In my email they said to submit the secondary within a week or receiving the interview invite.

A few questions:

I'm trying to decide between Western (Oregon campus) and WVSOM. I got the impression that Western has a better reputation. Anyone have any insight?

Does anyone have WVSOM's match list? I'm pretty sure you can call and request it, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Is attending lectures at WVSOM mandatory?

Thanks!!