Wright State U Boonshoft Class of 2011 -- Official Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to the financial aid guru, Tussel, "students are not eligible to receive financial aid until they matriculate {July 30, 2007}, so, the computer allowance would not be available before the first week of classes."

Bummer :thumbdown:

mmm k...i guess they have also forgotten that i am very poor and need my loans before i can even live near the campus...guess im hittin up mom and dad for what i call ''family loans''. too bad i just have to add those onto the loans i have to take out later...GOOOODDDDNNNEEESSS!:p

Members don't see this ad.

According to the financial aid guru, Tussel, "students are not eligible to receive financial aid until they matriculate {July 30, 2007}, so, the computer allowance would not be available before the first week of classes."

Bummer :thumbdown:

Looks like we're either going to have to squash the OVERWHELMING urge to play with new technogadgetry, or spend down on our savings. Sigh. I wonder if we're allowed to use the gym or other on-campus services before we matriculate, because I'm definitely not sitting idle that whole month of July. Thanks OUChris for the intel.

. So while the money would not be available before the first week of classes, when do we find out about the type of aid we will be awarded?

Question of the hour. I've read elsewhere there are medical schools that make their financial aid offering as a sort of incentive to commit--which is strange considering our commit deadline has-is?-passing-past?. I would assume they would have to let us know prior to July: wouldn't the amount of financial aid award affect, in theory (NOT I, said the fly), whether someone would go to WSUBSOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
mmm k...i guess they have also forgotten that i am very poor and need my loans before i can even live near the campus...guess im hittin up mom and dad for what i call ''family loans''. too bad i just have to add those onto the loans i have to take out later...GOOOODDDDNNNEEESSS!:p

lol, jj, gripe ALL YOU WANT...we all know the entire US Air Force is lurking, waiting to pick up your tab.

Question of the hour. I've read elsewhere there are medical schools that make their financial aid offering as a sort of incentive to commit--which is strange considering our commit deadline has-is?-passing-past?. I would assume they would have to let us know prior to July: wouldn't the amount of financial aid award affect, in theory (NOT I, said the fly), whether someone would go to WSUBSOM?

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. My guess is that once your committed (if you commit before May 15) they don't feel the need to push incentives on you for your decision. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that individuals holding multiple acceptances have received an award statement from WSU. Definately not fair but who are we kidding this whole admissions process isn't really on the level.

It's not too late if anyone wants to meet up with Jess, Chris, and myself this weekend for an icebreaker in Columbus. If any newcomers are interested you can let me know by private message or on the forum.

Thanks again to Jess for meeting up this weekend. The memory is a bit hazy but you guys were definately a blast.

Chris, sucks you couldn't make it, there will be other times. Hopefully you cleared a nice bit of cash.

Just over 2 months until the WCC!

lol, jj, gripe ALL YOU WANT...we all know the entire US Air Force is lurking, waiting to pick up your tab.

oh i know, in a way its so great...until they tell you what you can not be reimbursed for...like USMLE stuff...the computer...oh and the fact that i cant get that money until i start as well...so my first month im stuck with no money...well, i guess i just made $200...after 2 weeks of being a waitress....haha!! IM RICH! (and honestly, i feel like i am too...haha)

My vote is for the classic...but I would throw an "M.D." somewhere on the back, lol.

I have yet to have a perfect martini. I am traveling starting Monday and will be in vegas by next weekend! Josh, is the Mix bar still open? Do you know of any other cool places to hit in vegas.

I don't know if you'll get this before you actually make it to Vegas, sorry it took so long to respond, I didn't even see this post.

The Mix is definately still open and easily has the second best view of the strip. I would whole-heartedly recommend it. When we were there our favorite two places to hang out for the night was tangerine (in Treasure Island) and Ghost Bar (on the top of the Palms). Ghost Bar is far and away the best place to view the strip at night. If you're looking for another place to hang out that is a bit more chill (and not quite as expensive) then try Coyote Ugly in New York, New York.

You really can't go wrong in Vegas, you can just get in a cab and tell the driver to take you somewhere fun. You'll never go to the same place twice. Have fun!!!

It's not too late if anyone wants to meet up with Jess, Chris, and myself this weekend for an icebreaker in Columbus. If any newcomers are interested you can let me know by private message or on the forum.

Thanks again to Jess for meeting up this weekend. The memory is a bit hazy but you guys were definately a blast.

Chris, sucks you couldn't make it, there will be other times. Hopefully you cleared a nice bit of cash.

First, everyone try and come to the 25th!! has anyone checked out the wright state forum you guys got going on facebook? we have another new member...but i can't keep names straight. :thumbup:

josh, memory foggy but fun:eek:

CHRIS....missed ya:D

what is WCC?

and...i had a dream last night about the first day of classes...i was running around like my head had been cut off. But, i was LOVING it!!...in my dream i was excited...what a surprise:) ...funny thing, my class was full...but chris and josh werent there...go my brain!:thumbdown:

WCC = White Coat Ceremony

Chris and I didn't make dreamland Boonshoft, ouch, well I didn't do too well in my dream interview. I was in front of an entire lecture hall of faculty and they were asking me questions about universal heathcare on the moon. Then I realized that I was in my boxers so I ran out screaming. I can see why I didn't get in.

You know, I had a similar dream, only my interview was on a stage and I was supposed to be "acting" like a doctor, and there was this terrible little woman who, in real life, wanders around Princeton giving out 12th-Step flyers, directing the whole thing. Needless to say I bombed.

Here's a technical question for the group--how are you getting your stuff from point a to point-new-Dayton-apt? Are you renting uhauls?

And from the few out-of-staters I know are lurking, what are you doing?

I need to a) transport my belongs and b)transport my sedan. Either I make two epic drives back and forth to NJ, or I rent one of those Penske haulers for half a million dollars.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. My guess is that once your committed (if you commit before May 15) they don't feel the need to push incentives on you for your decision. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that individuals holding multiple acceptances have received an award statement from WSU. Definately not fair but who are we kidding this whole admissions process isn't really on the level.

No doubt. And, I guess, from a business-like point of view I understand it. At the same time, it's extremely frustrating/disappointing

Come on folks! It's a great chance to meet in a casual setting before the madness starts. At the very least you can count on a good meal at Gordon Biersch. The company will be... meh, decent at best. ;)

Not as much cash as I would have liked for 24 hours of work over the course of the weekend. Pretty sad actually. But, eh, what can you do?

Wow... two month count down already?! Time flies!

I don't know if you'll get this before you actually make it to Vegas, sorry it took so long to respond, I didn't even see this post.

The Mix is definately still open and easily has the second best view of the strip. I would whole-heartedly recommend it. When we were there our favorite two places to hang out for the night was tangerine (in Treasure Island) and Ghost Bar (on the top of the Palms). Ghost Bar is far and away the best place to view the strip at night. If you're looking for another place to hang out that is a bit more chill (and not quite as expensive) then try Coyote Ugly in New York, New York.

You really can't go wrong in Vegas, you can just get in a cab and tell the driver to take you somewhere fun. You'll never go to the same place twice. Have fun!!!

My buddies hung out at the Ghost Bar a couple times, as well. Though, again, we were there in January and the cold/wind was a little much to stay on the balcony for any amount of time.

A few friends and I just decided this weekend to head back out to Vegas in July. Details still being hammered out, but I'm excited. I was hoping to do something a little fun before heading back to school, and this should do the trick. Even if I do nothing more than hang out by one of the ridiculous pools out there, I'll be in heaven.

You know, I had a similar dream, only my interview was on a stage and I was supposed to be "acting" like a doctor, and there was this terrible little woman who, in real life, wanders around Princeton giving out 12th-Step flyers, directing the whole thing. Needless to say I bombed.

:D Funny how the mind works; the people, places and things that appear (or are left out of) your dreams. I can't even remember the last dream I had. Certainly not in such vivid detail. And nothing Boonie-related... yet.

Here's a technical question for the group--how are you getting your stuff from point a to point-new-Dayton-apt? Are you renting uhauls?

And from the few out-of-staters I know are lurking, what are you doing?

I need to a) transport my belongs and b)transport my sedan. Either I make two epic drives back and forth to NJ, or I rent one of those Penske haulers for half a million dollars.

It pays to know somebody with a pick-up truck / van. Of course, in your situation, being hundreds of miles away, I'm not even sure that would help. You would have to know somebody who is both nice enough to let you borrow the truck AND put 1000 miles on it. That somebody is hard to find... I think it's the Penske/UHaul route for you. I don't know how you can get around it. With gas around $3.25, I cant imagine that ONE trip in a uhaul would be much more expensive than TWO trips with another vehicle. But, I'm saying that from a fairly ignorant point of view, as I haven't priced a uhaul rental recently. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
It pays to know somebody with a pick-up truck / van. Of course, in your situation, being hundreds of miles away, I'm not even sure that would help. You would have to know somebody who is both nice enough to let you borrow the truck AND put 1000 miles on it. That somebody is hard to find... I think it's the Penske/UHaul route for you. I don't know how you can get around it. With gas around $3.25, I cant imagine that ONE trip in a uhaul would be much more expensive than TWO trips with another vehicle. But, I'm saying that from a fairly ignorant point of view, as I haven't priced a uhaul rental recently. :confused:

The uHaul is the cheap route, you're right, but it's still backnforth then back to Ohio...a lot of driving....but maybe it will be emotionally worthwhile to do it like that. For the record: renting a Penske truck capable of hauling a sedan on a hitch for one way NJ to OH: 1,200$. BLEAH.

Funny how the mind works; the people, places and things that appear (or are left out of) your dreams. I can't even remember the last dream I had. Certainly not in such vivid detail. And nothing Boonie-related... yet.

Yet being the key-word:) I always have at least a few anxiety-dreams about whatever it is that I'm starting/doing in the beginning: waitress dreams, bartending dreams, Diebold (my current company) scheduling dreams. Applying to med school played havoc on my psyche several times, mostly because I didn't hear anything from June to Jan...it was rather a long haul.

man, i love my dreams...i have them everynight...and i almost always remember them. my dreams are so real sometimes i have woken up crying, fuming mad, confused, happy...etc. its crazy for sure! but i still absolutely love my sleep more than life itself...which im saying because i might actually die during medical school b/c i wont get enough sleep. WONDERFUL thoughts..

HOLY CRAP...is it only two months now?? AHHHH...=me freaking out, but with a smile on!:D :wow: (this guys is the WOW guy...haha)

you all sound like a bunch of crazies with your dreams... im going to stay far far away from you when school starts! :p

kate, as for the uhaul, ive heard that (depending on the area) their trucks are sometimes not ready on time or that they just tell you to come get it "sometime" during the day that you request. if you have the flexibility, thats probably the cheapest way, though. i will also have to schlep my stuff back at the end of june... definitely not looking forward to that!

on an unrelated note, is anyone interested in running the air force marathon/half marathon on sept 15th? i think there is also a 5k, and a relay option...

one more question- where do i buy a car?! have you guys had good/bad experiences with your cars?? i should probably be having dreams about this, ive never owned a car and its freaking me out! (and you thought that having to buy a computer was bad:eek:)

you all sound like a bunch of crazies with your dreams... im going to stay far far away from you when school starts! :p

kate, as for the uhaul, ive heard that (depending on the area) their trucks are sometimes not ready on time or that they just tell you to come get it "sometime" during the day that you request. if you have the flexibility, thats probably the cheapest way, though. i will also have to schlep my stuff back at the end of june... definitely not looking forward to that!

on an unrelated note, is anyone interested in running the air force marathon/half marathon on sept 15th? i think there is also a 5k, and a relay option...

Hmmm....I could do the half-marathon, but probably too slowly for you--the 5K would be more fun personally because then I don't have to spend the next few months training (zzZZZzz) instead of enjoying time off. You're a BIG runner, eh?

one more question- where do i buy a car?! have you guys had good/bad experiences with your cars?? i should probably be having dreams about this, ive never owned a car and its freaking me out! (and you thought that having to buy a computer was bad:eek:)

How about a used-car dealership? I've owned my current automobile since HS, uh, during the first Clinton administration...and Chris I think has owned his forever as well. Since I happen to be on the phone with my irate brother, who can't find the grill we're buying for my sister's wedding in 72 hours, let me interrupt his rant to ask him where he bought his car...

(insert yelling here)

Voss Chevrolet in Dayton. He loves his car. My own Chevy Cavalier is a nice, easy car but the electrical wiring is touchy in all 1995-1997 models, according to my mechanic. But it's at 111,000 and expected to live quite a while longer. I vote American, obviously, but if I was to pick something else, it would be a Honda Civic. What a pleasure to drive.

Get a Kelley's Blue Book or make sure to check one out before investing in any used car. http://www.kbb.com and of course vehix.com has their own version of the blue book (unless it uses the same criterion). Anyway, my only advice is take a good look at the car, check the site, check a Carfax history, and if all points to green, you could feel confident purchasing any car.

nope i havent gotten my financial aid quite yet. BUt, i did call the director of financial aid yesterday b/c i need a loan deferment (yes, i LOVE debt). Anyways, he said the board of trustees was meeting today or tomorrow and deciding on the budget that was proposed to them for financial aid, etc. SO, once they decide, then they can get the info out to us. The information will come attached with each of our own individual consultants that we need to contact to get the aid and help we need with the process. :thumbup: but after all that help im sure ill still be clueless:confused: . I havent received anything yet...but oh well.

JJ, I emailed Tussell Connor today regarding the deferment; is this the same information that you received? Just want to make sure that I'm on the same page and doing everything that I can...

Tussell Connor said:
Our Registrar certifies deferment request forms during the week of Orientation, so, bring your form(s) in at that time.

Tussel Conner
Financial Aid Coordinator

Everything else that I have read says that you need to take care of this 1 - 2 months in advance to make sure that the loans stop before you matriculate...

I would love to run the halfy, but call me fairly certain I would be off your pace. I wouldn't mind the 5k either, or even the relay (where can I get some info?).

As for where to buy a car, I've had a couple people I know deal with CarMax here in Columbus and they have had great experiences. Apparently, if you don't find what you want on their lot, they will check their other stores and ship it for no cost. Just a thought.

Speaking of pacing...according to our first year exam schedule, we have a Human Structure midterm two days after the marathon. Priorities!
th_whip.gif

Just kidding, J-Z.

Hi all. When I looked into deferring my loans (which are now owned by Sallie) they said:
You don't have to request deferment if you are attending college or a university at least half time (less than half-time for Tuition Loan Program loan) and your school,
like most schools, participates in the National Student Clearinghouse's paperless deferment process. Participating schools notify us when you register for classes. We then automatically defer your loans starting with your semester begin date until your anticipated graduation date.

WSU is on the list. Perhaps this will also apply to some of you.

Speaking of pacing...according to our first year exam schedule, we have a Human Structure midterm two days after the marathon. Priorities!
th_whip.gif

Just kidding, J-Z.

exam schexam... dont we need a study break that doesnt involve drinking?? plus, more of an incentive to run faster!

thanks for all your advice on cars. ill have to wait till im back in ohio to do anything about it, but its nice to have an idea of what i should be looking for.

Hi all. When I looked into deferring my loans (which are now owned by Sallie) they said:
You don't have to request deferment if you are attending college or a university at least half time (less than half-time for Tuition Loan Program loan) and your school,
like most schools, participates in the National Student Clearinghouse's paperless deferment process. Participating schools notify us when you register for classes. We then automatically defer your loans starting with your semester begin date until your anticipated graduation date.

WSU is on the list. Perhaps this will also apply to some of you.

Wow, thanks for the great info. Hopefully that's the case for Nelnet Loans, as well! I'm not making huge monthly payments or anything, but I'd like to cut as many expenses as possible during those first few months of school... I'm sure we'll be spending enough $$$$!

Thanks again!
chris

Hey all

So i talked to Tussel the other day and he told me that we should have our papers in hand with our award notification within the next two weeks at the lastest. That is exciting news to everyone im sure, but i was glad to hear it, since it is so important for finding places to live and signing leases!

hello everyone

i am wondering if any of you are going to do the prematriculation program? i know some of you tossed the idea around earlier.

i am doing it and am just curious if anyone else here is also.

best wishes as we wait for financial aid.

take care.

hello everyone

i am wondering if any of you are going to do the prematriculation program? i know some of you tossed the idea around earlier.

take care.

Hey nice to meet you just--you can stay and chat if you feel so inclined. No premat for me, I'm looking forward to just bumming around, generally freaking out, and staying in the sunlight.

hello everyone

take care.

no premat for me either... but i think eli is??

actually...you are on the right note...im a crazie...CRAZIE BOONIE!! ya!! anyone?? high five on that?? lol

IM TOTALLY INTRESTED IN THE RUNNING OF THE AIR FORCE PEOPLE...cool. haha ok im a little tired right now. but ill do it with you...im now an Air force junkie and i should probably support them...ya know?:laugh:

hello everyone

take care.

I am signed up for premat. I just got a letter today regarding books, supplies, etc. It would be nice to take a break before school, but I have been out of school for quite some time so I thought it would be a good idea. I probably would just keep working if I wasn't going. Now, I just need to figure out where to live...

JJ, I emailed Tussell Connor today regarding the deferment; is this the same information that you received? Just want to make sure that I'm on the same page and doing everything that I can...

Everything else that I have read says that you need to take care of this 1 - 2 months in advance to make sure that the loans stop before you matriculate...

no thats not what i got..they told me to mail it to them (in the financial aid office) and they would fill it out and send it to the place for me. I mailed it to them, they mailed it back to my loan officer thingy (whatever) and now they are deffered. They did mention that they couldnt fill out the paper until school began...but then i dunno why they had me send it to them...crazy people!

hello everyone

since ive been out for a couple of days...i wanted to post four posts in a row...haha heres the last one...i promise!! i totally wanted to do the premat program...but im not now. reason: i need to make money so that i can make my first months rent...i almost have enough to pay for the deposit...(HA). But...chris and josh keep making me head out on the town to expensive expensive expensive places and make a car payment amount on my food and drinks :)laugh: totally totally joking) dang, wish i would have done it and then goofed around

oh well...i goof around running with J.Z. and skipping exams and let Kate yell at me and keep me in shape.

mmm.m...i lied...last post

i suck at pretensing (sp? is this even a word? kate HELP ME OUT) my words...that last post made no sense:D

Big ups to JJ for a 5-bagger of posts. Oh yeah, high five on the crazy boonie.

Just wanted to let anyone here on SDN that hasn't joined the facebook group know that the Columbus icebreaker starts tomorrow at 7 pm at Gordon Biersch in the Arena District. I know I probably sound like a broken record but, if there is anyone who still wants to attend you can call me at 614-327-5841 to get details, directions, etc.

If you can make it, then head on down. Kate, Eli, JZ, and everyone else who has become a part of the fam. We will definately miss you and I am already in the process of planning a Dayton based meeting for later in the summer.

Sidenote: Would anyone be interested in a crazy med school Boonie canoe trip this summer (Banoeing?)???

mmm.m...i lied...last post

i suck at pretensing (sp? is this even a word? kate HELP ME OUT) my words...that last post made no sense:D

No dear jj, the word is "pretense" and is a noun, while the word you want is....uh....(scans the last post, says it aloud) ... actually lmao I have no idea! That's the last time I'm ever going to correct any grammar:p. Also, there are easier ways to support the AF then running 26.2 miles, but then again...

I will never yell. Silent gunner am I. I'll just run alongside you and give you looks that say, "Hit the books, because afterward there's tequila and a great residency match in it for you."
th_smiley_gunner.gif

And polo, I'll miss you too and love canoeing. Former crew geek here. I'll probably love banoeing , but for some reason I see wiffle bats instead of oars when I say that aloud. Have fun at the meetup!

No dear jj, the word is "pretense" and is a noun, while the word you want is....uh....(scans the last post, says it aloud) ... actually lmao I have no idea! That's the last time I'm ever going to correct any grammar:p. Also, there are easier ways to support the AF then running 22 miles, but then again...

it's 26.2... but who's counting...

it's 26.2... but who's counting...

...im sure anyone who runs the thing counts every single step.. honestly, i dont remember even typing that. i was pooped for the night and headed to bead right after that post...totally messed that up. thanx elscorcho haha

Second page of the Allopathic class threads? Seriously, people? :D

Just wanna say thanks again to Joshua for organizing everything on Friday night. I had a blast... Its too bad more people couldn't make it! Maybe the next one?
Laters

Seriously, let's up the turn-out for the next one. I know the 3 of us had fun, it's time to spread the love.

I'll tell you what is really great, when a couple people can hang out, talk about anything for hours, and find out how much they all have in common. Share in the experience everyone, let's get as many people as possible to the Dayton meet-and-greet!

well , thanx josh and chris...but everyone...I HAD A BLAST. they were super cool...again. thomas, we missed ya. well the next one josh, looks like itll just be us three again...lol

but when we all move to dayton, it will be more for sure:D

well , thanx josh and chris...but everyone...I HAD A BLAST. they were super cool...again. thomas, we missed ya. well the next one josh, looks like itll just be us three again...lol

but when we all move to dayton, it will be more for sure:D

Yay! You bet! Speaking of, I may have landed a gorgeous old half-floor apartment in my brother's artsy neighborhood out near the institute. It's totally beautiful and it may have just totally simplified my life (no formal lease, off books rent and the landlord is a friend). More updates on this as it progresses, but if it happens I'll be in Dayton even sooner than I thought.

congrats kate! how exciting, i love the museum area.

ill actually be home from the 6-8 of june and im flying into columbus, but i probably wont be able to meet up with anyone (seeing as its wednesday-friday morning anyway). hopefully sometime in july, though!

and believe me, no one is counting anything after mile 22... i sometimes even forget how to run at that point.

Hey! Glad to hear you guys had such a good time. I'm going to be in Dayton on June 8th to look at apartments and just to see the area (its been 6 years since I was in Ohio for more than an extended visit or two - though god knows I am soooo ready to get out of cali!). Will any of you be around and wanna meet up? or can those of you from the area recommend cool things to see to help me warm up to the place? thanx :D

Hey! Glad to hear you guys had such a good time. I'm going to be in Dayton on June 8th to look at apartments and just to see the area (its been 6 years since I was in Ohio for more than an extended visit or two - though god knows I am soooo ready to get out of cali!). Will any of you be around and wanna meet up? or can those of you from the area recommend cool things to see to help me warm up to the place? thanx :D

Go to the Pink Floyd laser light show at the planetarium. No, just kidding. Good luck searching and I'll be there on the 11th--are you still going to be around?

kate, congrades on the apartment!! i cant believe you are gonna move in so early...luck duck...you rock! i hope the time away with the family was awesome!

JZ...how fast do you run your mile splits during a marathon??

nomad..good luck on finding a place!

if anyone is not on facebook...lol...i just read the "you know your in med school when..." site. it was hilarious. you can get the link through our WSU group on facebook. holy crap, i was cracking up!:laugh: anyways..it was a good laugh. i know everyone says once your in you can't think or talk anything but med school...i hope i can, but somehow i dont think ill be any different...err

you can get the link through our WSU group on facebook.

hey all-

maybe i am just clueless as far as finding groups on facebook, but as of yet i have been unable to locate the group. could you let me know the name of the group?

thank you. take care.

hey all-

maybe i am just clueless as far as finding groups on facebook, but as of yet i have been unable to locate the group. could you let me know the name of the group?

thank you. take care.

The group is called "Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Class of 2011"....thats a mouth full.

Welcome to the class, justhere, if I havent said so already!

Has anyone else had trouble login into SDN the last day or two? I havent checked this site for a week and feel completely out of the loop, lol.

:D