Wright State U Boonshoft Class of 2011 -- Official Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So has anyone heard of the reality TV show “workout” on bravo. I don’t really watch it but I have seen a couple episodes (though as a guy I probably wouldn’t admit to watching it anyway:laugh: ). It turns out the woman who runs the trendy Beverly hills gym is from Fairborn. They were showing her in an episode walking into Fairborn High School and talking to the kids. No one will probably care though unless they have seen the show.

Members don't see this ad.

I used to listen to the Herd on 1460 until he ripped on Cincinnati real bad. Since I am from Cincinnati, it pissed me off and I havent really liked the show as much since.

Count me in on going out with everyone in Columbus. I think it would be a great opportunity to get to know eachother. I will buy round 11 or whatever it is now! I just hope we can walk out of the bar, but either way it should make for a real fun night.

Happy b-day Chris. You are right about the car insurance thing. When I turned 25 my car insurance went dow too. It totally makes sense because the minute I turned 25 I became an amazing, yet incredibly safe driver:rolleyes:

By the way, my real name is Jesse, but if you all want you can just refer to me as WSU2011 for the next four years:D

So has anyone heard of the reality TV show “workout” on bravo. I don’t really watch it but I have seen a couple episodes (though as a guy I probably wouldn’t admit to watching it anyway:laugh: ). It turns out the woman who runs the trendy Beverly hills gym is from Fairborn. They were showing her in an episode walking into Fairborn High School and talking to the kids. No one will probably care though unless they have seen the show.

yes i have seen a few episodes when i end up flipping through every single channel...lol. id say its different, but i like watching people work out...instead of doing it myself!

congrades to chris and josh for getting us to page 5 with your inserted sound effect...hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Jesse, yeah he did kind of tear into Cincy for a few hours. Although, he does have an "I love Cincinnati" bumper sticker behind him during the show if that helps.

Yeah, wasn't it exciting when you got your big box of driving talent delivered to your door on the 25th birthday.

So has anyone heard of the reality TV show "workout" on bravo. I don't really watch it but I have seen a couple episodes (though as a guy I probably wouldn't admit to watching it anyway:laugh: ). It turns out the woman who runs the trendy Beverly hills gym is from Fairborn. They were showing her in an episode walking into Fairborn High School and talking to the kids. No one will probably care though unless they have seen the show.

I watch it all the time...when I saw the preview that she was coming back to Ohio to visit her mother's grave, we were all madly curious. But the whole therapy/self-discovery trend of the last few episodes has been pretty weird. For a show about....uh....gym drama and muscles? To put it delicately?

I used to listen to the Herd on 1460 until he ripped on Cincinnati real bad. Since I am from Cincinnati, it pissed me off and I havent really liked the show as much since.

Count me in on going out with everyone in Columbus. I think it would be a great opportunity to get to know eachother. I will buy round 11 or whatever it is now! I just hope we can walk out of the bar, but either way it should make for a real fun night.

Happy b-day Chris. You are right about the car insurance thing. When I turned 25 my car insurance went dow too. It totally makes sense because the minute I turned 25 I became an amazing, yet incredibly safe driver:rolleyes:

By the way, my real name is Jesse, but if you all want you can just refer to me as WSU2011 for the next four years:D

Thanks, Jesse...

So, I did spend all day Thursday checking out apartments, and I'm just as confused now as I was before. However, I think I've narrowed it down to a handful of places. I'm taking a break in my Quattro/Cinco de Mayo festivities to post this, so sorry if I'm unclear; I'm a little buzzed... and heading into work shortly :eek: :thumbdown:

I swear, it's like med school applications all over again; spending money left and right just to put in an application. Anyways, these are the places that I am considering:

Charter Woods: Relatively close, trendy location. The apartments were very nice, and the location had more of a college feel, in the sense that it looked like a fun place to live. Nice pool area that they were cleaning when I came by. Actually, they said that you were allowed to drink by the pool... which I found surprising. I can see myself having a good time in this area, but that's actually what I'm afraid of. Will I be distracted? Will there be a lot of partying around me? Downside is that it's $570/month not counting utilities. I'd probably live here though if price wasn't a concern.

The Highlands: Within walking distance of WSU. Pretty nice overall, with a big clubhouse with pool, fitness center, etc. Apartments start at $594/month for a 1BR, though. I dont think that anything really stood out about this community. I think that the proximity to campus is the biggest benefit... it would probably offset the price of living further away and paying for gas... especially at $3.25/gallon... ridiculous.

Stonebridge: Decent size apartments for about $500/month. These are about a 5 minute drive from campus, BUT they are in a great area: right next to a mall (The Greene) designed by the same guy that made Easton mall in Columbus. Adobe Gilas, Bar Louie, etc. within walking distance... that's pretty cool. Obviously, we wont have a lot of time to party, but it's nice to know that when you want to go out and have a couple drinks (and not have to worry about driving home), a great bar is just a few hundred yards a way. They also have a nice clubhouse with a pool, fitness center, etc.

Red Deer: Small, tucked away, Spartan apartments for about $475/month. If I go the inexpensive route, this is probably where I will live. They are just off of Dayton Yellow-Springs road, and were recommended by an acquaintance who scored 265 on the Step 1 USMLE Board Exams. I figure that if it worked for her, it's worth a try for me. This would probably be the most practical place to live. Nothing special. Not a significantly fun area. Just a good, quiet home.

I also checked out Maple View (gross), Whittier Woods (nice, but unimpressive), Charles Appartments (meh), and a few other places that aren't even coming to mind at this time, in my semi-drunken state.

Again, thanks for the birthday wishes from everybody, here and on facebook. I really appreciate it. Have a safe, but fun, Cinco de Mayo and I'll talk to you all later!

Chris

Impressive that you were in a semi-drunken state and I still got more out of your post then any apartment centered .com. It must mean that these sites are run by completely drunken individuals. Anyway, thanks for the info, I've got some stuff to mull over now.

Does anyone out there know exactly where they are going to be living? I feel like I'm behind because I haven't signed a lease yet.

Well, I see that the scholarships are out! Has anyone else heard back from the committee. They have a lot of gifts and they are ready to give. LOL I am still not sure 100% that I will be joining you all but I am trying to decide between UT Memphis and Wright State! I am concerned that Wright State does not have the clinical boost that you could get from Tennessee.

Tell me what you guys and gals think. Also, can someone throw out some names of nice apartments or nice condos to look at. I mean hardwood floors and things like that. I am also concerned about the diversity of the class?

Well, I see that the scholarships are out! Has anyone else heard back from the committee. They have a lot of gifts and they are ready to give. LOL I am still not sure 100% that I will be joining you all but I am trying to decide between UT Memphis and Wright State! I am concerned that Wright State does not have the clinical boost that you could get from Tennessee.

Tell me what you guys and gals think. Also, can someone throw out some names of nice apartments or nice condos to look at. I mean hardwood floors and things like that. I am also concerned about the diversity of the class?

Diversity? Well, I don't think that will necessarily be answered here. So far we have a few nontrads and mildly older students contributing. What's your particular interest, xavierdoc?

If you scroll back through these posts, several people have already helpfully listed available/interesting places and even some reviews (Chris, if I didn't thank you before....then kudos:). Apartment.com is popular and the office of housing would also be more than forthcoming if you gave them a call.

What do you mean by clinical boost? I'm not so certain WSU Boon is known for putting research above clinical care, even though we're about to invest millions in a new research center. What kind of clinical nitro are you looking for?

Impressive that you were in a semi-drunken state and I still got more out of your post then any apartment centered .com. It must mean that these sites are run by completely drunken individuals. Anyway, thanks for the info, I've got some stuff to mull over now.

Does anyone out there know exactly where they are going to be living? I feel like I'm behind because I haven't signed a lease yet.

Don't worry, I promise to be the last person on here to sign a lease. :) You have a safety net, you will never be last! lol.

Heh, thanks.

I can officially move into Charter Woods on 6/29/07. It only set me back $90 to hold the place. :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

I'm still not sure that's where I'm going to live, though. I'd like a place at the Highlands, because I'm sure the price of living there would be worth it considering I could walk/bike to class, rather than paying for gas to drive. However, they have a waitlist, and you have to be there in person to fill out an application and get on the waitlist (another $75... As I said... like medschool applications all over again).

I don't think that you are behind, necessarily. The only reason I even went out there to check out the apartments is because I already had the days off of work to do it. Then when I got out there, all I heard was "wait list" and "you gotta act now" from every leasing agent. I'm sure 85% of that is the sales pitch, but (after 8 hours of driving back and forth in the hot sun in a car with crappy AC, and looking at a dozen apartments) I started to buy into it a little bit, and paid a couple of holding fees.

A lot of it also has to do with the 'move-in date' that you are looking for. I'm still not sure about the pre-matriculation program, so I was looking for a move-in date anywhere between 6/15 (in case I participate in the program) and 7/15 (I figure that mid-July is the latest that I would want to move, if I'm not doing the pre-mat program).

Perhaps, if you are looking for something later, it won't be a problem.

The thing is, each leasing office has to wait for one of their current residents to give them some kind of notification that they are moving out, and when they were moving out. I was told that it's not uncommon for people to leave 11 months into a 12 month lease (for example). At the same time, the leasing agents are not always aware of who intends to renew their lease. So, they have to wait for those move-out notifications.

Then, with that information, the leasing office knows exactly which apartments they have to offer and when they can offer them; obviously, there is a short period of time between a move-out and move-in so that they can clean the apartment. They do their best to get a move-in date that is close to what you want.

So, what I'm saying is, an apartment may have a waitlist now, but they could receive a dozen move-out notifications from current residents over the next week. If you wait, you may get lucky and land a great apartment that wasn't available a month ago... OR, you may end up paying for an apartment that is 1) more expensive than you would like, 2) bigger than you really need (the "sorry, we only have two bedroom apts left" situation), 3) not available for the move-in date that you want, etc. etc.

It's just not my nature to take that kind of risk. :D So, I'll take my 6/29 move-in at Charter Woods and wait to see if something better comes along. If I'm stuck with that $580/month apartment, then you better believe that I'm going to be looking for a roommate for year #2. I don't want to be paying that every year...

Hmmmm... I don't see anything yet. Perhaps they are more interested in paying for your attendance than paying for mine. :hardy:

Anybody else receive an award letter?

Hmmm... I don't know much about UT-Memphis, so it's hard for me to say one way or the other. The only reference I have is the '07-'08 MSAR. According to that, the two schools seem to be pretty similar; I do not see any striking differences in the class averages (~29 MCAT, 3.7) and other selection factors. The '05-'06 class at WSU was 77% white, while the same class at UT-Memphis was 78% white. The Dayton area in general is pretty diverse, I believe. I have never been to Memphis, so it's difficult to offer any information regarding the city, in general. Regarding clinical exposure, if I understand correctly, UT is much like WSU in that it does not have a university hospital (there is one at UT-Knoxville), but rotate through a handful of major teaching hospitals. I could be wrong, though.

Regarding apartments: there are many within a 10-15 minute drive: Charter Woods, The Highlands, Whittier Woods, Channingway, The Enclave, Ashton Brooke, Fieldstone, The Greene, Stonebridge, Lakes of Beavercreek, Promenade at Beavercreek, Village at Stonefalls, Walden Village, Wexford on the Green. Prices range from $475 - $800 per month for a 1Br/1Ba. The Beavercreek area (looking above, from The Enclave and on down the list) is more expensive. Regarding hardwood floors, etc.... wow, I really didn't pay that much attention. I guess the best thing to do is go to apartmentguide.com, rent.com, and/or move.com, and check out the apartments that I listed above. That would probably be a good start.

Good luck with everything!

Chris

Wow, Chris. You gave a great description of the apartments you saw. You are very articulate….even when you are drunk. Either that or I am a ******* lol.

Yea, I just got a full ride. Um….yea right. No money here, but damn it, I can sure use a scholarship or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
nope i havent gotten my financial aid quite yet. BUt, i did call the director of financial aid yesterday b/c i need a loan deferment (yes, i LOVE debt). Anyways, he said the board of trustees was meeting today or tomorrow and deciding on the budget that was proposed to them for financial aid, etc. SO, once they decide, then they can get the info out to us. The information will come attached with each of our own individual consultants that we need to contact to get the aid and help we need with the process. :thumbup: but after all that help im sure ill still be clueless:confused: . I havent received anything yet...but oh well.

hey im in columbus now until may 29th...josh, set us all up!

I apologize in advance for repeating this to all those that I have already talked with on facebook.

Ok, with that out of the way, if any of our fellow future docs would like to get together for an icebreaking dinner and drinks then let me know when you can head into town. As of now I am looking at the 18th, 25th, and 26th of May as possible dinner dates (they are all friday or saturday nights). The location has yet to be determined, but will be one of the many restaurant/bars in Columbus' arena district. Everyone is obviously invited. Let me know if any of these dates are good/bad for you and I'll try and tweak anything I can to get as many of you there as possible. If all these dates are bad then throw me some alternate ones, I'm sure we can work something out.

In closing, if you received a full ride to WSU for med school, dinner is on you (just kidding, but not really).

Wow, Chris. You gave a great description of the apartments you saw. You are very articulate….even when you are drunk. Either that or I am a ******* lol.

Yea, I just got a full ride. Um….yea right. No money here, but damn it, I can sure use a scholarship or two.

Thanks... but only in a forum would anybody consider me articulate. When I'm actually speaking, it's a whole other story. :eek:

nope i havent gotten my financial aid quite yet. BUt, i did call the director of financial aid yesterday b/c i need a loan deferment (yes, i LOVE debt). Anyways, he said the board of trustees was meeting today or tomorrow and deciding on the budget that was proposed to them for financial aid, etc. SO, once they decide, then they can get the info out to us. The information will come attached with each of our own individual consultants that we need to contact to get the aid and help we need with the process. :thumbup: but after all that help im sure ill still be clueless:confused: . I havent received anything yet...but oh well.

I need a loan deferment as well, so I would be interested in knowing what kind of advice you received. Is it worthwhile to call them? Or should I just stick with my original plan of contacting my loan agency?

I apologize in advance for repeating this to all those that I have already talked with on facebook.

Ok, with that out of the way, if any of our fellow future docs would like to get together for an icebreaking dinner and drinks then let me know when you can head into town. As of now I am looking at the 18th, 25th, and 26th of May as possible dinner dates (they are all friday or saturday nights). The location has yet to be determined, but will be one of the many restaurant/bars in Columbus' arena district. Everyone is obviously invited. Let me know if any of these dates are good/bad for you and I'll try and tweak anything I can to get as many of you there as possible. If all these dates are bad then throw me some alternate ones, I'm sure we can work something out.

All of the above dates are good for me!

In closing, if you received a full ride to WSU for med school, dinner is on you (just kidding, but not really).

Good call.

Unfortunately, due to my travels, I can’t meet up with anyone before June 15th. So if you guys all go out again around that time, I will definitely be there :thumbup:

It was my understanding that in order to defer loans for undergrad, you just need proof of enrollment from WSU, which means you don’t have to deal with the slow, seemingly unorganized financial aid office.

JJ, excellent intel. These financial aid packets can't come soon enough...I would prefer ONE less thing to worry about.

Can we think about another icebreaker again in June? I would genuinely like to meet you all before school, and maybe yes because I think the transition to Ohio might be lonely and maybe also because I think everyone here so far is awesome:)

We can absolutely have another ice-breaker, in fact it would probably be best if the next one were in the Dayton area. How would a late June, Dayton based, ice-breaker work for everyone?

hello all.

i am a fellow member of the 2011 class. i have been a silent reader of this thread for a while and want to say that I have appreciated all the info you all have processed through over the last month or so.

it has been nice to come on here and see what everyone else is thinking.

i look forward to meeting you all in july and best of luck as we wait semi-patiently for financial aid (i have no idea what to expect).

Hey there justhere. Glad to see you stand up and be recognized. First and foremost, congratulations on your acceptance, isn't it wonderful to not have to write another 10 or so essays about "why you want to be a doctor".

Secondly, don't be a stranger. We're all going to be tossed together into a quagmire of scores, facts, scenarios, etc.; it never hurts to know those that can help make it easier.

Finally, let me formally extend the invitation for the ice-breaker in May to you as well. If you live in Ohio, or will be in Dayton and would like to make the trek to Columbus then we would love to have you attend.

P.S. If there are any wallflowers out there for the 2011 class, come on down. Let's here from you.

Night all,

I was bored and I couldn't resist a tressel pic.

We can absolutely have another ice-breaker, in fact it would probably be best if the next one were in the Dayton area. How would a late June, Dayton based, ice-breaker work for everyone?

If you guys still want me around after meeting me in May, then count me in! :D

Who all will be in Dayton in late June?

hello all.

i am a fellow member of the 2011 class. i have been a silent reader of this thread for a while and want to say that I have appreciated all the info you all have processed through over the last month or so.

it has been nice to come on here and see what everyone else is thinking.

i look forward to meeting you all in july and best of luck as we wait semi-patiently for financial aid (i have no idea what to expect).

Hey, justherePY!

Ditto to everything that Polo already said; congrats and welcome! :thumbup:

Great to have another 'Boonie' on the boards. Hopefully we can get a few more in here before we all meet in May...

hey justherePY. love the code name...hahah **i just got it** im so glad we have another class member...so far there are only 5 or 6 of us. we need 94-95 more...yay!!

im out for the june meeting,...but totally in for the may one! you guys rock

I think the term 'boonies' has now been used three times. I believe that it has now become an available nickname.

GO WRIGHT STATE MED, THE FIGHTIN BOONIES!!!

For anyone who has seen Chris' cinco de mayo picture:

Are you feeling Burt Reynolds?

burt_sp.jpg

or Tom Selleck
magnum-pi-selleck.jpg

Personally, I'm leaning Burt Reynolds. Tom's mustache just looks too natural. Any other opinions?

Appropros of nothing, let's take a minute to talk about how we all deal with stress, as I seem to see a lot of Q&A on the Allopathic forum about how to cope with the enormous workload. This is all preemptive, but maybe brainstorming in advance would help us all be more proactive later? Meh. My job is boring the living @(#$* out of me....

1. Working out--we all seem to be relatively fiendish about that. Though that goes hand in hand for me with...
2. Picking a recipe or cuisine area that's really kind of hard and requires lot's of prep. In other words, switching detailed activity from left to the right brain. Like Ethiopian doro wat, a chicken stew. Then making myself slowly go through the steps--shopping, inviting friends, setting aside the block of time in the kitchen to cook...etc etc. Then eating really slowly, especially after a good workout.
3. Serially watching random television series. Right now it's the Sopranos and MI-5, although I own lots. BBC, Fox--doesn't matter, as long as I a)have all available seasons and b)watch them consecutively.
4. Photography. I'm a mediocre amateur, but sometimes just taking a break and inventing an on-the-spot photo project is the best way to mentally "check out." It becomes all about the light, the angle...and not about my stressors.
5. Sims 2. I have a feeling you all may see me playing that on my tablet. Maybe during class.
6. Reading poetry. This is a last resorter--I love poetry and loathe it, because when it's bad it sucks. But you need to rewire your mind, again, to read it. Disconnect.

Anyone else want to run with this as the anxiety mounts towards getting our "full-rides?" lol. By which I mean, "enormous loans"?

Oh, FINALLY on the AMA front:

I spoke to Jim Kirschner, the contact for first-year medical students on the AMA website. The deal is: once the class matriculation is set, every medical school publishes their list of students to the AMA, and we're all assigned lifetime #'s in their database--whether we join or not. At any time after that, we can go to https://membership.ama-assn.org/JoinRenew/ and search by our last names, etc--and join. We should be entered by, at latest, July 15. If you're really on the hoof to join and can't wait, Jim is happy to forward applications directly. The only drawback is the risk of double entries, misapplied registration info, etc...because the school will still send our details in a mass list.

Whee! I swear I'm getting a life now!

polofanPKP said:
For anyone who has seen Chris' cinco de mayo picture:

Are you feeling Burt Reynolds?

or Tom Selleck

Personally, I'm leaning Burt Reynolds. Tom's mustache just looks too natural. Any other opinions?

Oh I'm going to take it straight to the heart of the matter, although Burt Reynold's is a good show:

Take it away, Juan Valdez. Mmmmmm, good coffee.

You guys are freakin hilarious! :laugh: :thumbup:

Seriously, I'm not looking forward to the med school workload, but I'm definitely looking forward to hanging out with you guys over the next few years.

That's awesome... and after careful deliberation, I think Valdez edges out Reynolds.

Appropros of nothing, let's take a minute to talk about how we all deal with stress, as I seem to see a lot of Q&A on the Allopathic forum about how to cope with the enormous workload. This is all preemptive, but maybe brainstorming in advance would help us all be more proactive later? Meh. My job is boring the living @(#$* out of me....

1. Working out

My list starts and ends here. If I feel healthy and fit, then I feel like I can take everything else in stride.

OK, I lied... there's a #2... I like to eat. Not cook. Just eat.

Luckily, my #1 balances out my #2.

My day job has been absolutely killing me. For so many reasons that are too involved to discuss here. To sum it up: If I have learned anything from this job, it's how the hospital/medical system works, and just how screwed up it is. I'm so frustrated/disgusted/jaded... if I get into it, you'll all think that I'm a bitter person... but I'm not. Just ready to move on.

Anyways, I digress... the only saving grace is my palm pilot that allows me to patch into the wireless network here, and check my email/facebook/SDN. :D

Juan Valdez, awesome, it's valdez by a mile.

Dealing with stress, hmmm, like Kate I am also a fan of list format so...
1. Exercise. Kind of a given, but still the best option when it comes to centering myself.
2. Driving. Not 8am or 5pm rush hour driving but a nice back road leisurely drive after the sun goes down. Especially when I take the top and doors off of the jeep.
3. Movies. I am a moveiphile, love just about anything. I was even once talked into watching "The Notebook" by a girlfriend. When I said at the end that I thought it was a good film, she tried to convince me that she saw me tear up (which is just ridiculous, I had something in my eye, was dealing with allergies, and cutting onions during the movie).
4. Watching sporting events. Helps me relax as long as one of the teams playing is not a team that I support, and they aren't stinking up the place.
5. Yelling at the moon. Seriously, just reflecting the suns rays, lazy mooch.

Lastly, how is a May 25th date for the Columbus icebreaker? If this date is agreed upon then I'll include the location in my next post. You know, kind of like a spy movie.

Later boonies,

Very, Very cool! I'll have to check that out more later...

I used to have a bunch of med school websites saved in my favorites, but I've since lost them... Actually, I seem to remember UMich (scUM) having a good one... There's some cool stuff out there.

I've got the UMich one around here somewhere. It's some virtual anatomy sort of Q and A thing I think.

Juan Valdez, awesome, it's valdez by a mile.

Seriously, there was about a 10 minute grieving period at the costume store, when I was told that they were out of Valdez-like ponchos... :thumbdown: I was very close to just dropping the 'stache and serape right there and scrapping the whole idea... I mean if you can't do it right, then there is almost no point... 10 minutes at least. Just inconsolable.

Dealing with stress, hmmm, like Kate I am also a fan of list format so...
1. Exercise. Kind of a given, but still the best option when it comes to centering myself.
2. Driving. Not 8am or 5pm rush hour driving but a nice back road leisurely drive after the sun goes down. Especially when I take the top and doors off of the jeep.

Oh sure, who doesn't love to drive when you got a wrangler... SOB. See how much you love to drive my '89 Subaru. :laugh: :thumbdown:

3. Movies. I am a moveiphile, love just about anything. I was even once talked into watching "The Notebook" by a girlfriend. When I said at the end that I thought it was a good film, she tried to convince me that she saw me tear up (which is just ridiculous, I had something in my eye, was dealing with allergies, and cutting onions during the movie).

Hilarious. That hits close to home... the girl that I was dating when that came out swore that it was the best movie ever. Saw it three times in the theater. She couldn't even tell me about it over the phone without crying. ...we broke up before she had a chance to drag me to it, though. Still haven't seen it. Is it really any good?

4. Watching sporting events. Helps me relax as long as one of the teams playing is not a team that I support, and they aren't stinking up the place.
5. Yelling at the moon. Seriously, just reflecting the suns rays, lazy mooch.

Lastly, how is a May 25th date for the Columbus icebreaker? If this date is agreed upon then I'll include the location in my next post. You know, kind of like a spy movie.

Later boonies,

25th looks OK for me... for the record.

I am not real sure when I will be in Columbus again, so I might have to catch up to everyone the second icebreaker in Dayton.

As far as stress relief goes, I don't really do anything in particular. I like to eat, but not cook. I play basketball or softball. I also see a TON of movies. However, I don't think that I do any of those things specifically to relieve stress. I don't really get stressed out about much...I think I am actually too laid back sometimes.

Hi!
So, I'm new to this thread, but I wanted to introduce myself. I think I will be joining you all next year (still trying to decide between med school or grad school) :confused: . Honestly, its been a long time since I have been to Ohio for more then a quick visit so thanks for all the great information about apts. and such. Quick question; what do you guys know about opportunities to go abroad? Everyone at the school and at my interview said there were a lot of options but I haven't been able to find anything concrete.

Hi!
So, I'm new to this thread, but I wanted to introduce myself. I think I will be joining you all next year (still trying to decide between med school or grad school) :confused: . Honestly, its been a long time since I have been to Ohio for more then a quick visit so thanks for all the great information about apts. and such. Quick question; what do you guys know about opportunities to go abroad? Everyone at the school and at my interview said there were a lot of options but I haven't been able to find anything concrete.

Hi Nomad! Welcome to the thread, and I hope you decide to join our class. I am not sure about opportunities to go abroad. I was interested in the possibility, but I haven't thought to check it out yet. I'll try to find out too, and I'll let you know if I discover anything.

I need a loan deferment as well, so I would be interested in knowing what kind of advice you received. Is it worthwhile to call them? Or should I just stick with my original plan of contacting my loan agency?

i just called my loan agency, and they sent me a paper...then i sent it to WSU...then they will send it to my loan agency. BIG CIRCLE...much pain!:D

Hi!

hey nomad...WELCOME! um yes there are soo many opportunities to go abroad...one of the reasons i picked WSU. But like anywhere, u have to find the one you like and then work to go after it...so if that is what you wanna do...GO FOR it! and if i may be a little biased here (b/c both my parents went to grad school and they are writing research papers all the time)...GO TO MED SCHOOL! but seriously, do what you love.

polo...im good for the 25th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :thumbup:

Hi!

Well hey Nomad, welcome to the thread...sounds like you still have some major decisions to work through, but congrats on *potentially* joining us at WSU. What kind of grad work are you still considering?

Also, back it up here a minute...abroad? When can we go abroad? Where can we go? JJ you've been holding back here.

Well hey Nomad, welcome to the thread...sounds like you still have some major decisions to work through, but congrats on *potentially* joining us at WSU. What kind of grad work are you still considering?

Also, back it up here a minute...abroad? When can we go abroad? Where can we go? JJ you've been holding back here.

when i went through my interview, my INTERVIEWER said that some students have been to Africa and china during the summer months shadowing doctors. The one instance was having students travel to Africa (somewhere in the lower half of it...sorry can't remember the exact location) and they stayed in a fellow physcians HOUSE down there and then went and helped treat patients. The other example she went into detail about was local (as in the United States) and the students visited a very secluded Native American INdian tribe and served them for the months while out of medical school. Of course, each of these things aren't paid...but, why should they be...you need to learn to give your time (am i right? of course im right.[this is a common saying in my Ukrainian household...lol])

But it will totally be worth the time to travel and get out of America to help others; or stayin in America and help others...WHAT AM I SAYING?:laugh:

But it will totally be worth the time to travel and get out of America to help others; or stayin in America and help others...WHAT AM I SAYING?:laugh:

I don't know, but it's totally inspiring;) . Anyway, that's cool. For some reason I thought of our four-yr future as somewhat locked down to Dayton. I always fantasized about doing a residency in Israel, even though the international students assure me that's totally impossible if I want to practice medicine in the US. But going abroad for even a little while--how appealing a thought!

Well it's been a long while since I have posted, but it is great to see a bunch of new people going to WSU!! What is the deal with people meeting and such in columbus? I am in dayton now living at home but could possibly be able to make it up.

Hope everyone is getting excited

this is cliche...but I LOVE MONDAYS!! i love them b/c i don't have to work on mondays. ...so no 'case of the mondays' for me...:laugh:

BTW...is ANYONE getting the required immunizations and stuff for med school? HOLY CRAP...my arms are freakin killin me right now!!! i got 3 shots, a TB test, blood drawn ...all in like 5 minutes. OUCHY!:mad: anyways, im trying to get those forms filled out and stuff...ya know?

another question, what about the profile we have to have filled out? i had no idea what to say, so mine is gonna really suck...ha ha

and...any word on financial aid?!?!?!

Chris (OUCHRIS), josh (polo), and I met this past saturday night...i had a blast. These are two fun guys, so im excited for everyone else to meet them. The next meetin up time, (to: doctorbob)...josh set up for May 25th (friday evening). SO...hopefully you can make it!?!

IM SO EXCITED!