Wright State U Boonshoft Class of 2011 -- Official Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey all-

maybe i am just clueless as far as finding groups on facebook, but as of yet i have been unable to locate the group. could you let me know the name of the group?

thank you. take care.

lol....one link in one direction, one link to the other:

http://slc.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2357128134

Members don't see this ad.

WTH -- We need to send another transcript in to the admissions office? Did anyone else see that update?

i am not sure, but my understanding is that this most recent transcript request is so that they have your final official transcript, with your completed degree information. this is to say, it is for people that have just graduated.

as a result, i would think that those who have graduated a year or more ago and have already sent in their final transcript do not have to do so again.

this is my opinion, so you may want to check because very little seems logical about the process. =)

take care all,
robert

Members don't see this ad :)
WTH -- We need to send another transcript in to the admissions office? Did anyone else see that update?

I graduated a year ago and never sent them a transcirpt to begin with. They only know my grades, major, etc through AMCAS. Most schools, as I understand it, request an official transcript upon matriculation--the reasoning being that all questions about your academic training come back to the medical school and they need to have that crap on file.

i am not sure, but my understanding is that this most recent transcript request is so that they have your final official transcript, with your completed degree information. this is to say, it is for people that have just graduated.

as a result, i would think that those who have graduated a year or more ago and have already sent in their final transcript do not have to do so again.

this is my opinion, so you may want to check because very little seems logical about the process. =)

take care all,
robert

I just called their office, and unless for some reason you sent them your official transcript while applying (which I don't think we did - we sent it to AMCAS) we ALL need to send them our transcript. Wright State does not have anything outside of our AMCAS and secondaries.

What a pain for those of us who took summer/post-bac courses at multiple institutions!

i'm doing the prematriculation program in june and just moved from florida, so i have been rushed to find a place to live...i went to look for housing today, and found a few places, but i think i'm going to settle for meadow run, cause its real close to campus and really inexpensive comparitively...

i am just waiting to sign the lease to see if anybody has heard bad/good things about it...if i dont go with meadow run i am most likely going to sign at emerald lakes...so if u have any info regarding either development, or suggest anything else, i'd really appreciate it...

I just called their office, and unless for some reason you sent them your official transcript while applying (which I don't think we did - we sent it to AMCAS) we ALL need to send them our transcript. Wright State does not have anything outside of our AMCAS and secondaries.

What a pain for those of us who took summer/post-bac courses at multiple institutions!

Exactly. sigh....glad I have all next week to wrangle with bursars and registrars.

:)

hey to those who wanna live in meadow run....from student, they have told me that it is NOT that nice of a place to live. it is cheap...but, downside: a little crappy. i havent seen the actual rooms myself, only heard from other people...itd be nice if you could look at places like Charterwoods, the highlands, windsor place, etc...but, good luck. and..if it isnt a palace, its ok, youll be in the library most of the time anyways! lol:D

who is gettin excited??? ME ME ME ME ME ME

heads up. The other night i was hanging out with josh and chris at chris' family bar in columbus. Chris (OUCHRIS) had to watch the door, check IDs, etc....guess what he was doing? he already had the flashcards for anatomy parts of the entire body....as he stood there he was reading through them. I was very excited but now josh and i are thinking we should get on board with the overly ambitious...haha....j/k chris...u know we luv ya!....just keep up the studyin!! haha:smuggrin:, no seriously, stop

heads up. The other night i was hanging out with josh and chris at chris' family bar in columbus. Chris (OUCHRIS) had to watch the door, check IDs, etc....guess what he was doing? he already had the flashcards for anatomy parts of the entire body....as he stood there he was reading through them. I was very excited but now josh and i are thinking we should get on board with the overly ambitious...haha....j/k chris...u know we luv ya!....just keep up the studyin!! haha:smuggrin:, no seriously, stop

oh me too! So excited I'm exhausted! Today was my first day in what feels like an eternity that I didn't have a job to go to--well actually it's been about eleven years. I was so disoriented all morning and then I had to keep repeating: "You don't have to work anymore because you're going to school!"

And if you didn't notice, jj, polo and I picked up gray's anatomy some months ago in this thread:laugh:, but you just called him out on not reading it. heheheheheh. Catch up! I've gotten through back/thorax/abdomen in the student's edition, although we're talking twenty pages a night before bed---not flashcards at the door, Chris!

hey to those who wanna live in meadow run....from student, they have told me that it is NOT that nice of a place to live. it is cheap...but, downside: a little crappy. i havent seen the actual rooms myself, only heard from other people...itd be nice if you could look at places like Charterwoods, the highlands, windsor place, etc...but, good luck. and..if it isnt a palace, its ok, youll be in the library most of the time anyways! lol:D

LOL!!! JJ totally just called me out! :laugh:

If it makes anyone feel any better, I actually just got the cards like two days ago, and I was just excited to look at them. Downtime by the door was my first chance. I really only have the first dozen or so down. Believe me, everyone in this forum is probably more "on the ball" than I am. I haven't done any of that profile/immunization/etc stuff... All I'm concerned about right now is work, work, work... making some money. Job, nap, job, nap, job, nap, etc. And not even to bank for school necessarily... which is what I should do. No, I think I'm going to have one last period of irresponsibility and go to Vegas. :thumbup: :D

BTW, thanks again for stopping in, Polo and JJ. It was nice to meet everyone. Alex and Tessa seem very, very cool. Its a shame I couldn't be behind the bar where I could direct some of the transactions, like last time. Of course, JJ had to go and ruin all of the fun by being the DD, anyways ;) She didn't even get to do a Washington Apple! :thumbdown:

Although seriously, conventional wisdom says none of us SHOULD be studying now...because soon we're going to wish we'd done anything else.

Yeah, riiiiight. That's like all of the Cardiac Surgeons I work with telling me that I should just enjoy medical school, because "the person graduating at the bottom of the class is still a doctor".

Sure, buddy. That's the type of attitude that got your ass through med school, 5+ years of general surgery, 2+ years of Cardiothoracic Fellowship, and 1+ years of Post-Fellowship training. Yeah. I bet.

And if you didn't notice, jj, polo and I picked up gray's anatomy some months ago in this thread:laugh:, but you just called him out on not reading it. heheheheheh. Catch up! I've gotten through back/thorax/abdomen in the student's edition, although we're talking twenty pages a night before bed---not flashcards at the door, Chris!

See, this is what I'm talking about; "back/thorax/abdomen" ...yeah, um, so far my foyer flash card sessions have me feeling confident on the bones of the frickin skull. Something I'm sure you all have down, but I haven't looked at in the past 5 years... :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
See, this is what I'm talking about; "back/thorax/abdomen" ...yeah, um, so far my foyer flash card sessions have me feeling confident on the bones of the frickin skull. Something I'm sure you all have down, but I haven't looked at in the past 5 years... :eek:

hehehe, oh yeah, we have it DOWN. I did the skull part reading the classic edition because my mother gave it to me, and gave up after the parietal section. I tried to imagine where the malar bone was in space, or in my own skull, and then my eyes got all funny and crossed from looking at the 18th century etchings, and then I had a beer...consider me a cranial expert.

because "the person graduating at the bottom of the class is still a doctor".

This is my liberal-arts background mantra, don't rain on my parade:p

Well I'm all ready, signed my lease on Sunday and now it's just a matter of waiting. On that note, Channingway gave me such a ridiculous deal, it almost wasn't even fair. They are letting us move in July 3rd, no charge for the month of July. They also waived the security deposit and lowered our rent 30 bucks per month.

Oh and kate, the figures in the classic gray's, I seriously think they were just taken off of a cave wall or a clay tablet. I don't think they could be any older.

Congrats to the incoming students, Class of 2011!

Just wanted to let you know we have a bulletin board similar to SDN just for Wright State med students. If you are interested in setting up an account reply to this message. It is restricted to BSOM students only, no faculty or public access. The address is http://www.bsomboard.com. Let me know if you have any questions.

Daniel Flora, MS-III
BSOM Board Admin

yea, so meadow run didn't end up working out...my rents saw the place and weren't very happy w/ my choice...apparently wanting to save money wasn't enough to convince them it was the right choice...

so anyways, i ended up signing a lease at The Enclave...doubtful if anyone cares, but i figured this would be the place to tell someone...

i'm moving on june 22nd, (doing the premat. program), so if anyone is doin the program, or gonna be in the area, i'll be wearing bells...

i'm interested in setting up an account on that BSOM website...

i'm interested in setting up an account on that BSOM website...

Teen wolf, of course we care where you're living:) Congrats on an apartment and congrats to the unstoppable polo, who was so worried about a lease. What we need is an old=fashioned map of Dayton with little multicolored pushpins...where is the enclave?

I'm interested in the website too, and went and registered. They have some sort of admin approval thing going, but it's totally unclear how they would know if you were a WSU student or not (save for the email address). So I signed up and haven't heard a thing.

BoonieT.jpg

heheheheheheheheheh. Banzai! One small boonshoft t today, tomorrow the world.

Your Wright State email account is verified with the student directory. If you do not yet have a Wright State account you can email me at [email protected] to have your BSOM Board account activated.

Dan

the enclave is right next door to emerald lakes...right off of 675...behind the mall i guess...

that might help...

Wow, it's been wery wery quiet on the forums/facebook lately.. I miss the random chatter:)

Wish me luck: that great apartment deal at my brother's house fell through, perhaps unsurprisingly, so I'm headed out to Dayton at the crack of dawn tomorrow to find a place. If anyone is around, my phone number is on my facebook profile, and if not, I hope you all are well and having great last hurrah's. lol.

I'm headed out to Dayton at the crack of dawn tomorrow to find a place.

best of luck finding a place kate. my wife and i are packing now and i will be moving to dayton on saturday, while she stays in cleveland - crazy times.

i hope all goes well on your trip out.

here's hoping we hear from financial aid this week (mr. conner has led me to think we should).

best,
robert

best of luck finding a place kate. my wife and i are packing now and i will be moving to dayton on saturday, while she stays in cleveland - crazy times.

i hope all goes well on your trip out.

here's hoping we hear from financial aid this week (mr. conner has led me to think we should).

best,
robert

Thank you robert--is she staying in Cleveland throughout, or moving later? First person to get their financial aid awards gets a cookie and lots of jealous outcry, so let us know :)

Robert,

I "feel your pain." My wife has a job in Columbus, so until she can find one in Dayton I'll be commuting/staying with friends and family in Dayton. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

What does your wife do?

Nick

Robert,

I "feel your pain." My wife has a job in Columbus, so until she can find one in Dayton I'll be commuting/staying with friends and family in Dayton. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

What does your wife do?

Nick

my wife does budget forcasting and project management. she is looking for jobs in both academia and corporate. she has nine years experience but it has been rough thus far.

luckily, we have a friend in cleveland with an empty condo, so we will not have to pay rent in both places.

best of luck to you and your wife through the whole process. i hope it works out soon.

robert

my wife does budget forcasting and project management. she is looking for jobs in both academia and corporate. she has nine years experience but it has been rough thus far.

luckily, we have a friend in cleveland with an empty condo, so we will not have to pay rent in both places.

best of luck to you and your wife through the whole process. i hope it works out soon.

robert

Thanks, you too. My wife is a graphic designer and Dayton unfortunately isn't a creative hotbed (I can say that since I grew up there :)) so finding a job hasn't been easy thus far. I'm fairly hopeful that something will come up soon. At least we have a back up plan in place until she does find something.

Nick

Thanks, you too. My wife is a graphic designer and Dayton unfortunately isn't a creative hotbed (I can say that since I grew up there :)) so finding a job hasn't been easy thus far. I'm fairly hopeful that something will come up soon. At least we have a back up plan in place until she does find something.

Nick

my wife currently works in university marketing and works with about five graphic designers as a project manager. has your wife applied to the universities around dayton?

not sure where you wife is looking for jobs (academia, corporate, anything), but my wife has applied to nearly every university within 30 miles of dayton - casting a broad net i guess. maybe that is something to consider as an option, in she has not already.

robert

W00t! Where IS everyone? lol...summer comes and you all just VANISH. JJ, I got the decal for my car too, and an apartment! Officially I live in the little old cluster of Victorian homes down from UD, on the entire first floor of this brick number that, frankly, has four rooms, 14-ft ceilings, all hardwood floors and moldings, and a full porch/backyard. lol. It looks like a beautiful disaster from the outside, but it's awesome. Also, my landlord is a bustling German man with 6 kids and 44 wacky, renovated, historic properties--a ton of which are available. So if anyone's having apt difficulties and doesn't mind a ten-fifteen commute to WSU, let me know.

Also, our Wright1 ID cards are now available. If anyone is coming to town before convocation and wants access to WSU gym or facilities, go to the student union. I think they'd prefer to take us all in a herd, but you can get it if you want. See you at the gym.

Also, financial aid has been transferred from control of the MS to the main financial aid office at WSU--we're in the pool with all grads and undergrads, which is why things are taking so long. Our awards will come in an email, along with preferred lenders, instructions on promissory notes, how to reduce/reject/adjust, etc.

Also, parking permits are available for the summer term (i.e. through Sept 3 right now, and fall permits will be available starting July 15.

What else....hmmm....see you all soon?

W00t! Where IS everyone? lol...summer comes and you all just VANISH. JJ, I got the decal for my car too, and an apartment! Officially I live in the little old cluster of Victorian homes down from UD, on the entire first floor of this brick number that, frankly, has four rooms, 14-ft ceilings, all hardwood floors and moldings, and a full porch/backyard. lol. It looks like a beautiful disaster from the outside, but it's awesome. Also, my landlord is a bustling German man with 6 kids and 44 wacky, renovated, historic properties--a ton of which are available. So if anyone's having apt difficulties and doesn't mind a ten-fifteen commute to WSU, let me know.

Also, our Wright1 ID cards are now available. If anyone is coming to town before convocation and wants access to WSU gym or facilities, go to the student union. I think they'd prefer to take us all in a herd, but you can get it if you want. See you at the gym.

Also, financial aid has been transferred from control of the MS to the main financial aid office at WSU--we're in the pool with all grads and undergrads, which is why things are taking so long. Our awards will come in an email, along with preferred lenders, instructions on promissory notes, how to reduce/reject/adjust, etc.

Also, parking permits are available for the summer term (i.e. through Sept 3 right now, and fall permits will be available starting July 15.

What else....hmmm....see you all soon?

do we have to pay for gym memberships, or are they free for students?...

that's good news...in my undergrad, students still had to pay 100 dollars for a gym membership for the year, which is still extremely cheap...so either wsu is really generous or their gym is extremely out dated...

that's good news...in my undergrad, students still had to pay 100 dollars for a gym membership for the year, which is still extremely cheap...so either wsu is really generous or their gym is extremely out dated...

Actually the gym is brand new. I'm assuming that the membership costs are similar in the long run. Your undergrad probably just gave students the option to pay for a membership, whereas WSU is basically charging everybody for a membership regardless of whether or not they intend to use it.

:laugh: just to let everyone who is interested know...the award notices for our loans are updated on the WINGS express account...cheers to going into DEBT

:laugh: just to let everyone who is interested know...the award notices for our loans are updated on the WINGS express account...cheers to going into DEBT

Just came in here to post the same thing! I didn't even get an email... just periodically check WINGS and found it. The information wasn't there earlier in the day, but it sure is now.

Just came in here to post the same thing! I didn't even get an email... just periodically check WINGS and found it. The information wasn't there earlier in the day, but it sure is now.

i think i'm still confused, i didn't get an email regarding my award status and i don't know where to check on wings to find out...

any help would be much appreciated

i think i'm still confused, i didn't get an email regarding my award status and i don't know where to check on wings to find out...

go to http://luminis1.wright.edu/cp/home/loginf and log in with your wright username and password.

then, toward the upper right, click on wings express and log in with UID and PIN. then, click on "student and financial aid," "financial aid and scholarships," and "award notice." hope this helps.

did anyone get anything other than loans (grants or scholarships)? maybe i am just a slacker. =)

Once you are in WINGS, click on the "WINGS Express" Logo, which resembles a three-headed arrow... so to speak. It's in the upper right hand portion of the screen, next to the email and calendar logos and below the pictures of random faces.

To login to WINGS Express, you will need your university ID and PIN. This is different than the login information for WINGS. Hopefully you already got this information in an email from Dr. Carlson.

Once you are logged in to WINGS Express, click on "Student and Financial Aid". On the next menu, choose the last option, "Financial Aid and Scholarships". Finally, on the last menu, select the third option, "Award Notice".

This should lead you to your Financial Aid Award Information.

Good luck.
Chris

go to http://luminis1.wright.edu/cp/home/loginf and log in with your wright username and password.

then, toward the upper right, click on wings express and log in with UID and PIN. then, click on "student and financial aid," "financial aid and scholarships," and "award notice." hope this helps.

did anyone get anything other than loans (grants or scholarships)? maybe i am just a slacker. =)

You just beat me :D

And, no, I only got loans, as well. :thumbdown:

Not only that, but my loans total exactly $1 more than the amount predicted by the expense budget. :laugh: I'm sure this will be the norm.

You just beat me :D

And, no, I only got loans, as well. :thumbdown:

Not only that, but my loans total exactly $1 more than the amount predicted by the expense budget. :laugh: I'm sure this will be the norm.

i was hoping, perhaps naively, that i would have a grant that would help me out - federal or university or something. again, naively.

let the loans begin. =)

Ok, a little pissed off that its ALL loans, no grants! And yes chris, $1 above the budget. Did they even take time to look at the FAFSA or did they just give everyone the budgeted amount?

Eitherway, I am pissed. :thumbdown:

Ok, a little pissed off that its ALL loans, no grants! And yes chris, $1 above the budget. Did they even take time to look at the FAFSA or did they just give everyone the budgeted amount?

What is the budgeted amount that you're looking at? Was it the $44,056 that came with the 2006-07 expense budget we got in our interview folder, or is there an updated 2007-08 budget posted somewhere?

I only got loans as well.

What is the budgeted amount that you're looking at? Was it the $44,056 that came with the 2006-07 expense budget we got in our interview folder, or is there an updated 2007-08 budget posted somewhere?

I only got loans as well.

There is an updated budget on the med school website. The budget amount for the first year is $47,089.

So, if I am reading the budget correctly, is it saying that the health plan costs are paid out of pocket? That seems really expensive. Where will I come up with over 8k to cover me and my family?

Has anyone heard anything about the health plan, good or bad?

Exactly.
That seems to be how it is for me as well---there's something cutesy called an "Academy Loan" and then the standard gov stuff. Now, is there like a BILL for this year's stuff--our tuition, fees, etc? Or am I too naive to ask and there is one, staring me in the face, that I can compare our loans to? This is very irritating.

Also, say, uhm, you think you may not have the credit "worthiness" (thank you FastPlus)...I guess you're just politely screwed out of the Grad Plus loans, try somewhere else...

Exactly.
That seems to be how it is for me as well---there's something cutesy called an "Academy Loan" and then the standard gov stuff. Now, is there like a BILL for this year's stuff--our tuition, fees, etc? Or am I too naive to ask and there is one, staring me in the face, that I can compare our loans to? This is very irritating.

Also, say, uhm, you think you may not have the credit "worthiness" (thank you FastPlus)...I guess you're just politely screwed out of the Grad Plus loans, try somewhere else...

I'm not sure... wish I knew more about this kind of stuff, but when it comes to finances/loans and the like, I'm completely in the dark. I think that's one of the few things that I regret about undergrad; not having the time to take more business/personal finance/economics classes. It's stuff that everybody should probably be aware of, and yet, I know zilch about it.

But, my impression is that the budget is supposed to give us an estimation of what the bill will be; it's a projection of what they will charge us. So, the loan companies will cut a check to cover the school's bills, and the remainder will be deposited into our own personal checking account. At least, this is how it worked for my undergrad.

One thing that I'm curious about at this time, is how the additional money will be given to us. In undergrad, everything was on a quarter system for me. So, 1/4 of the additional loan money (money not going directly to the school) was deposited into my checking account at the beginning of each quarter; rather than getting the lump sum in a single deposit. I wonder how it will work in medical school...

One thing that I'm curious about at this time, is how the additional money will be given to us. In undergrad, everything was on a quarter system for me. So, 1/4 of the additional loan money (money not going directly to the school) was deposited into my checking account at the beginning of each quarter; rather than getting the lump sum in a single deposit. I wonder how it will work in medical school...

Here we'll differ Chris--I missed all the finance/econ/business classes and was rather grateful, after several years of corporate slogging, that I hadn't bothered. :laugh: However, I know absolutely nothing about it either. And our brains are about to be filled with a glut of other information That Isn't Finance. Maybe working out our loans is a kind of sink or swim prep. lol.

Anyway, I distantly remember that the payout from WSU was negotiable...I'm not sure it's rigorously on quarters. Also, I think we have student accounts that the money will appear in first. Is anyone thinking of using the Wright-Patt credit union, or knows anything about why a credit union would be a good idea?

Here we'll differ Chris--I missed all the finance/econ/business classes and was rather grateful, after several years of corporate slogging, that I hadn't bothered. :laugh: However, I know absolutely nothing about it either. And our brains are about to be filled with a glut of other information That Isn't Finance. Maybe working out our loans is a kind of sink or swim prep. lol.

Oh, believe me, at the time I was happy to miss out on all those classes. But, I've had so many instances since that have made me regret my lack of knowledge in the area. Of course, I could always do the reading on my own, and teach myself, but.... nah. :D

Anyway, I distantly remember that the payout from WSU was negotiable...I'm not sure it's rigorously on quarters. Also, I think we have student accounts that the money will appear in first. Is anyone thinking of using the Wright-Patt credit union, or knows anything about why a credit union would be a good idea?

Not real sure. :confused: During undergrad, having a local credit union really only seemed beneficial for students who were far from home and needed a local bank at which they could deposit checks, transfer funds etc. Again, this is coming from somebody who has always relied on cash, a debit card, and a [chronically empty] checking account. :thumbup: