Would you have applied to GS if there was no "80 hour work rule"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you have applied to GS if there was no "80 hour work rule"?

• Yes, I am a current applicant

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Yes, I am a PGY-1

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Yes, I am a PGY-2

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes, I am a PGY-3

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • No, I am a current applicant

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • No, I am a PGY-1

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No, I am a PGY-2

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No, I am a PGY-3

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an annonymous poll, so please be honest....

This poll is open to voting by people who got involved with GS since the "magical year" (2003)....PGY-1s, PGY-2s, PGY-3s, and current applicants.

Just curious....

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well...does anyone actually adhere to the 80-hour rule (dare I say)? And it excludes call, according to Freida. So I'd be surprised if many people were fooled into thinking that it's made much of a difference, or at least not enough so to make any kind of serious decision based on it.

Well...does anyone actually adhere to the 80-hour rule (dare I say)? And it excludes call, according to Freida. So I'd be surprised if many people were fooled into thinking that it's made much of a difference, or at least not enough so to make any kind of serious decision based on it.

I still think its made a huge difference. No, few work 80/week, but now we work 90-100 a week, which is so much better than 110-120.

And going home post call before 2pm is still so much better than staying consitently till 6pm post call.

Members don't see this ad :)

FREIDA is wrong if it is posting that. The 80 hr work week guidelines, averaged over 4 weeks, DO include time IN-HOUSE on call. Home call does not count toward the work week hours except if you have to come into the hospital. This is the reason why it can be difficult to stay under 80 hrs if you are on call twice a week (there's 60 hrs right there, at least, in call alone).

quick question, am only in msI but am thinking of gs. Regarding the 80hr rule, i have also heard that most places dont adhere to it. Are there ways of reporting that the hospital violates it anonymously? I assume not, if there are only a few residents then the attendings know that its one of those few, unless you have a huge program, am i right?

This little survey pretty much explains how surgery got very competitive in the last 4 years.

Kinda funny...