This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raichoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
FM PGY2 In beautiful westcoast FL.
Have a decent amount of OR experience and figured out surgery is my calling and that, frankly, nothing else will do.
Looking to swap with or into an open GS PGY1 or 2 anywhere that trains good surgeons, preferably by those who are able to see the patient as a whole human being.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have a decent amount of OR experience and figured out surgery is my calling and that, frankly, nothing else will do.
Looking to swap with or into an open GS PGY1 or 2 anywhere that trains good surgeons, preferably by those who are able to see the patient as a whole human being.
Thanks!

You will need to look to entering the match next year. As you are a PGY2, that means you'll finish FM. You can apply and interview next year for starting right after you finish FM. This will guarantee that you can still become board certified even if you realize surgery isn't the right thing for you.

Thanks!

You have to look for PGY1 surgery spots. Your FM years will not give you credit for gen surg, so you can't start as a PGY 2 surgery resident.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You may also have to look into funding for a residency spot, CMS has limits on the amount of $$$ they pay the hospital/program for each individual, and they've already paid some for your current FM residency.

You may also have to look into funding for a residency spot, CMS has limits on the amount of $$$ they pay the hospital/program for each individual, and they've already paid some for your current FM residency.
Direct, yes. Indirect, no. They still get paid via indirect, if the first is out. No one works for free.