Any shot to GS with only one surgery LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical Seed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a DO applicant with 236/237 for steps.
I only have one surgery letter from 3rd year PD, and the rest of letters are from non-surgical fields (IM and IR) :/ Any shot to GS with only one surgery LOR? I am applying for this cycle and currently I got 0 invites so far so I am scared..

Members don't see this ad.

I only have one surgery letter from 3rd year PD, and the rest of letters are from non-surgical fields (IM and IR) :/ Any shot to GS with only one surgery LOR? I am applying for this cycle and currently I got 0 invites so far so I am scared..
Most/all letters should be from surgeons. Except if you had a meaningful experience with some other faculty (eg. PhD advisor in MD-PhD program, etc.). That said, it’s likely not the only (but could be a big) reason you have no interviews. Scores aren’t terrible (they’re not great either). What about research? Third year grades? Etc.

Idk what advising you had, but generally most letters should be from the people you hope to be colleagues with someday. Ie. From the same specialty.

I’m sorry your stance right now, but it wouldn’t hurt to start planning ahead in case you don’t match (or pull out of the match early on). I also don’t know if GS is like the other specialties that copy plastic surgery and now have a synchronized release date (which obviously would explain your lack of interview invites).

Anyway, find a surgeon advisor asap and meet with them. Somebody who knows what they’re talking about. And even people you know who matched last year from your school.

FS

Reactions: 1 user
1. Most programs aren’t releasing interviews until the 26th.

2. Harsh truth: Yes applying to GS with only 1 surgeon letter is going to really hurt your app. Programs expect letters from surgeons.

Reactions: 2 users

Can you still add any letters? If so, try to get 2 more surgery letters asap.

Reactions: 1 user