Would you choose anesthesiology again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you choose anesthesiology again?

• Yes, I love anesthesiology.

Votes: 78 60.0%
  • No, I’d choose a different specialty.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I would not go into medicine

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters
I know it’s early for this but I’m a soon to be MS2 who’s trying to figure out what I want to do with my life and anesthesiology is one of my interests (among several other things). It’s evident that there’s a lot of perks to anesthesia (with some downsides of course), but do you all enjoy the actual medical side of it? Is it intellectually stimulating? I feel like anesthesia is this field where on the outside it looks like you just put people to sleep using the same couple of drugs and keep them there till the surgery is over. I know there has to be WAY more to the field than that though. Especially since it’s one of the only specialties that prepares you to be an ICU attending with only a year of extra training, however from the outside it doesn’t always look this way. Hopefully it doesn’t sound like I’m bashing it, I really want to learn more about the field, but it’s kind of an enigma to me unlike others.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a lot of surgeons with great lifestyles and more control over their lifestyle than anesthesiologists. Don’t want to miss your kids soccer game on Saturday? Schedule it after.

Thats exactly what I was told and thought and why I was essentially 100% sure until M4 I was going to go into a specific surgical sub specialty. But in my limited experience, I didn’t see any of it. Maybe they are just masochists, but most I worked with were not happy with their schedules.

Again, just a med student with obviously limited experience at limited institutions, but the difference between satisfaction between my surgical sub and anesthesia was shocking. Maybe as a med student we just get exposed to the surgeons that have the most undesirable lifestyles and it skews our view.

Must be tough;)

Anesthesia has treated you badly.

Somehow you manage to make over 900k doing your own cases with >60% Medicare and still bitter 🤔

The problem for anesthesia is not leadership and marketing but a shallow moat and low barrier to entry. Many training spots, easy to match, short and relatively painless training path, and a large pool of labor including AAs and CRNAs. Thus, no leverage. It’s not interventional cardiology or neurosurgery.

That's not fair. I am just trying to empower the new guys with knowledge. Since you are tracking my posts...perhaps you missed the part where I had been on four different Partner Tracks including one Hostile AMC takeover over 15 years before I landed that 900k job. Atleast I can say I never sold out unlike the other person replying to my posts.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, you have more autonomy with your schedule as a sub specialty surgeon unless you take a heavy amount of call such as trauma surgery, general surgery, or neurosurgery. However most people forget how much time those guys spend outside of the OR. They do a lot of clinic and have to actually write notes. Not having to dress up in shirt and tie, deal with dictation and clinic bull is enough to make anesthesia desirable on its own. Not to mention we make the same if not more money than most surgical specialties. #Pajamalife

Reactions: 3 users
I think anesthesia is fine. If I had the scores of some matching today I’d pick something different, that’s for sure. Cardiology, radiology, urology, orthopedics, or maybe ENT (though ENT is personally unappealing to me for unclear reasons). I’d never do GI - gross. But it does offer a great lifestyle.

I just don’t find anesthesia intellectually stimulating. I enjoy working with my hands but real true advances in the field just seem few and far between. Between that and the midlevel issues, the nights and weekends, the dependence on hospitals, etc. I just think there are better options out there.

Does that make anesthesia awful? No. I think it’s okay. It’s provided a wonderful living for me to support my family. But if I had to do it again, knowing myself and my interests a lot better now than I did 10 years ago, I’d make a different choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Honestly, you have more autonomy with your schedule as a sub specialty surgeon unless you take a heavy amount of call such as trauma surgery, general surgery, or neurosurgery. However most people forget how much time those guys spend outside of the OR. They do a lot of clinic and have to actually write notes. Not having to dress up in shirt and tie, deal with dictation and clinic bull is enough to make anesthesia desirable on its own. Not to mention we make the same if not more money than most surgical specialties. #Pajamalife

Our trauma surgeons cover 5-6 days/month and do back up 5-6 days/month. 2 of them are moms with young kids. One of our other trauma surgeons has a busy vascular practice in addition to his trauma duties.

• Wow
Thats exactly what I was told and thought and why I was essentially 100% sure until M4 I was going to go into a specific surgical sub specialty. But in my limited experience, I didn’t see any of it. Maybe they are just masochists, but most I worked with were not happy with their schedules.

Again, just a med student with obviously limited experience at limited institutions, but the difference between satisfaction between my surgical sub and anesthesia was shocking. Maybe as a med student we just get exposed to the surgeons that have the most undesirable lifestyles and it skews our view.
If you only worked in academics before and during med school that can cause a misunderstanding of how good some private practice surgeons have it.

This is the reality people miss. Ask some private practice ENTs/urologists who are graduating right now what sort of offers they get. The lowness of the starting pay, especially in large cities, may surprise you, IF there's even jobs for them to get. Their partnership tracks are 3+ years as well, and only then do they start making production based money. Their potential is probably higher with practice asset ownership, but they pay a huge price for it with how hard their residencies are, and the generally more saturated job market in large cities.

I'd say most, if not all offers I have heard for fresh general anesthesia grads are much higher than the starting for surgical subspecialties, with maybe ortho being the exception.

My buddy is a new general surgeon. I’ve spoken to him about his and his classmates’ job offers. They are absolutely abysmal and will take at the very least several years to even come close to what we make, if at all, and this is after five grueling years of residency. Some of the offers were outright predatory. I do not envy new surgery grads.

My buddy is a new general surgeon. I’ve spoken to him about his and his classmates’ job offers. They are absolutely abysmal and will take at the very least several years to even come close to what we make, if at all, and this is after five grueling years of residency. Some of the offers were outright predatory. I do not envy new surgery grads.

Our hospital just bought out all the general surgery groups around. Apparently the first few years are good with okay salaries, but you have to hit some numbers (cases, customers services…. All the bullshlt matrix). Had a case, literally the patient is refusing to get the procedure done, because she tries to sign out ama the morning of. They were almost begging to have the patient to stay just for the procedure.
Sad state of affairs. They ain’t having a good time either.

• Sad
its a great market right now because of the labor shortage, but make no mistake,
pilots have a **** job compared to the good ol' days.
look at what the regional carrier pilots make, its like $20 an hour
the aviation situation is
much worse than what physicians have experienced in the last 20 years.

My husband is a pilot - he makes 250k plus benefits to work 20h a week max - some weeks he doesn’t work at all. Not to mention when he does work it’s an all expenses paid golf vacation to the park cities or a weeklong trip to Greece….
Probationary pay is 50-60$ an hour for the first year at a regional… envoy is 90$!
Think of that as residency- first year pay is probationary pay…. After that it goes up considerably. Captains make 400 plus to not work that hard - plus stock retirement etc.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
My husband is a pilot - he makes 250k plus benefits to work 20h a week max - some weeks he doesn’t work at all. Not to mention when he does work it’s an all expenses paid golf vacation to the park cities or a weeklong trip to Greece….
Probationary pay is 50-60$ an hour for the first year at a regional… envoy is 90$!
Think of that as residency- first year pay is probationary pay…. After that it goes up considerably. Captains make 400 plus to not work that hard - plus stock retirement etc.

Pilot pay is very good but so is anesthesia pay. I don’t think too many folks on this board would we happy with 400k.

Plus they get cool outfits.

Pilot pay is very good but so is anesthesia pay. I don’t think too many folks on this board would we happy with 400k.
400 for part time pay - with the ability to do contract work (locums for pilots)….

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
400K with benefits for 30 hours per week? Where do I sign. I work more than 30 hours per week now because the differential in pay to work 40 hours plus call vs 40 hours or 30 hours without Call is enormous (30% or more).

400 for part time pay - with the ability to do contract work (locums for pilots)….
Once your husband makes Pilot I hope you can cut back some on the hours and enjoy life. Your combined incomes (even after his alimony payments) should be more than enough to live a very nice lifestyle.

In SF/LA, it is very difficult to get a surgical job in the city proper that isn't complete ****. One of the ortho fellows couldn't find a Job in LA and is doing per diem at Kaiser. I have two friends who are plastics trained and they couldn't find jobs in SF. Bay Area graduates ~10-11 fellow a year amongst the programs and they have nowhere to go.

In SF/LA, it is very difficult to get a surgical job in the city proper that isn't complete ****. One of the ortho fellows couldn't find a Job in LA and is doing per diem at Kaiser. I have two friends who are plastics trained and they couldn't find jobs in SF. Bay Area graduates ~10-11 fellow a year amongst the programs and they have nowhere to go.
When you are a surgeon, you dont look for jobs you create jobs. You are the disrupter, especially plastic surgeons.

• Haha
When you are a surgeon, you dont look for jobs you create jobs. You are the disrupter, especially plastic surgeons.

I think most physicians I know are petty risk averse. Especially when most have huge loans.
You’re also correct that the most disruptive surgeons I’ve met are plastics. I think you’d have to have some experience and money saved up before you can be THAT guy.

The disrupters are rare and have been out for 10+ years in practice before they drag their ego around with them. Majority of my surgical and proceduralist friends have a harder time finding decent non-predatory jobs in VHCOL areas. In fly-over Midwest, that may be different, but that applies to us too.

I'm just a med student, but from my perspective, there really doesn't seem to be many better options than anesthesia given the downsides of surgery. Could just be the institutions I've been at (large academic medical center and a medium sized community hospital) but I have never seen more unhappy and regretful attendings than the surgeons.

It's one of the major reasons I'm not doing surgery. I always said that if I met 1 surgeon who had a lifestyle I would want for myself, I would feel comfortable doing it. I never met one. I would be happy with 95% of the lifestyles I've seen in my time in anesthesia.

If you remove the surgical specialties, really the only other two specialties that are harder to match and have it better than anesthesia are derm and ophtho. And I think most people who pick anesthesia would not be able to stomach the clinic and note writing of those specialties.
You need to meet more private practice surgeons. Sure they still deal with nonsense and sure they still have to deal with complications but the true private practice surgeon's lifestyle is nothing like you see at a academic medical center

lol nice find. Damn if I was making over 900k I def wouldn’t be complaining.
probably works way more than advertising and probably working right now.......or doing some sort of fraud that's creating stress. while they say we're dumb, most of us aren't, and if we knew there was an out way to legally make 900k working 50hr with a decent payor mix we'd all be doing it.

Reactions: 4 users
From what I have seen of new surgery residency graduates they need a lot more time in the OR and less on the soccer field.

To be fair, we have an IR and a neuro IR who are enthusiastic soccer players (they both play in an adult league) and they are both outstanding doctors.

Last edited:
probably works way more than advertising and probably working right now.......or doing some sort of fraud that's creating stress. while they say we're dumb, most of us aren't, and if we knew there was an out way to legally make 900k working 50hr with a decent payor mix we'd all be doing it.
I agree. I call BS. In order to make 900k in anesthesia you have to work 100 hours a week or be part owner of the ambulatory surgery center or have some other equity stake. In short, unreachable for your average anesthesiologist and is such an outlier as to be ignored altogether.

Once your husband makes Pilot I hope you can cut back some on the hours and enjoy life. Your combined incomes (even after his alimony payments) should be more than enough to live a very nice lifestyle.
thankfully no alimony. my husband flies a private family... he made decisions long ago (for the kids) that has him in that world instead. hes older than i am and to change would result in a pay cut now... airlines are seniority based.... you start low-ish and make lots later... and you HAVE to retire at 65. my husband still has a good gig. hes in park cities playing golf today, on a trip. he makes 250 for very very little work and lots of perks.
hes to old and stuck in his ways to change. thankfully my stepson is coming into being a pilot when its a very good time. hes 26 and has his first corporate job making 125k with no debt. hes building time and will go to the airlines soon. he will take a paycut for the year (if he doesn't contract fly on the side) a few years he will surpass his dad :)
Im kind of a control freak so its hard for me to cut back, maybe some day. Im in my 40s so still some time to work. Ill for sure stop taking call at 60 as my group has built in stages of retirment if you want them.

thankfully no alimony. my husband flies a private family... he made decisions long ago (for the kids) that has him in that world instead. hes older than i am and to change would result in a pay cut now... airlines are seniority based.... you start low-ish and make lots later... and you HAVE to retire at 65. my husband still has a good gig. hes in park cities playing golf today, on a trip. he makes 250 for very very little work and lots of perks.
hes to old and stuck in his ways to change. thankfully my stepson is coming into being a pilot when its a very good time. hes 26 and has his first corporate job making 125k with no debt. hes building time and will go to the airlines soon. he will take a paycut for the year (if he doesn't contract fly on the side) a few years he will surpass his dad :)
Im kind of a control freak so its hard for me to cut back, maybe some day. Im in my 40s so still some time to work. Ill for sure stop taking call at 60 as my group has built in stages of retirment if you want them.

I just randomly watched this the other day

For all the b*tching we do about how difficult the road to MD is, I was really caught off guard by how expensive it is and how long it takes to make real money as a pilot.

I agree. I call BS. In order to make 900k in anesthesia you have to work 100 hours a week or be part owner of the ambulatory surgery center or have some other equity stake. In short, unreachable for your average anesthesiologist and is such an outlier as to be ignored altogether.
I guess it would also be possible if you’re a partner in a (predatory) group with a small number of partners who profit off a bunch of employed docs beneath them.

I just randomly watched this the other day

For all the b*tching we do about how difficult the road to MD is, I was really caught off guard by how expensive it is and how long it takes to make real money as a pilot.

You can do it cheaper than that. You don’t need an undergrate degree. Once you get your commercial license you can get a job In charter, corporate or be a flight instructor to build hours until you can go to delta… the pay isn’t good but the hours build up fast.
The flight schools offer financing. If you go to college pick a school that has an aviation program.
If you do it right and work hard you don’t have to come out of pocket.
It should be hard though…. I don’t want some ding dong flying my American Airlines flight :)

I think its possible. 900k over 46 weeks (6 weeks of vacation), 50ish hours a week comes out to $375/hr. If he has a great payor mix, does 1:4 supervision, hospital throws in stipends for taking calls/weekends, maybe taking a high % from new attendings on partnership track, its possible. Certainly, I agree its an outlier and many things have to line up, but those jobs definitely exist out there.

I think its possible. 900k over 46 weeks (6 weeks of vacation), 50ish hours a week comes out to $375/hr. If he has a great payor mix, does 1:4 supervision, hospital throws in stipends for taking calls/weekends, maybe taking a high % from new attendings on partnership track, its possible. Certainly, I agree its an outlier and many things have to line up, but those jobs definitely exist out there.

But they do their own cases and have a bad payor mix (60%+ Medicare). Medicare pays $120-150/hr. As you say, under those conditions, only a big stipend/hospital subsidy, facility fees, or skimming a lot off new employees can get you there. To me the math is very suspect.

Last edited:
But they do their own cases and have a bad payor mix (60%+ Medicare). Medicare pays $120-150/hr. As you say, under those conditions, only a big stipend/hospital subsidy, facility fees, or skimming a lot off new employees can get you there. To me the math is very suspect.

Ah ok, didnt see those details. True 375/hr under those conditions doesnt quite add up. Perhaps they have a lucrative ob contract

It's doable. I was in a practice in the Northeast where many partners made over a mil. Unit was about $80, they worked like dogs (65+ hours a week) and took a cut from people on partnership track. Remarkably, they did their own cases most of the time.

Last edited:
I also trained in the northeast and know have a practice in NJ where partners make over a mil. MD only, no CRNAs.

some of the cards guys in my group make low 900s - plus stock dividends they can hit just into 7 figures - they work for it- mostly solo but some supervision. I recently had a candidate tell me their current gig in seattle makes 700 for 40h a week with 10 weeks vacation... I didnt know the PNW was that lucrative??? or if they were trying to play me? maybe they have to? I wouldnt want to live there but I thought it was a desirable location for some.

I also trained in the northeast and know have a practice in NJ where partners make over a mil. MD only, no CRNAs.
I do solo work now and dont make anything close to that sadly. Looking to make a change to increase my earnings but cant deal with supervising crnas. That beast is truly unpalatable to me

It's doable. I was in a practice in the Northeast where many partners made over a mil. Unit was about $80, they worked like dogs (65+ hours a week) and took a cut from people on partnership track. Remarkably, they did their own cases most of the time.

I agree 900k would not be difficult with a pooled unit of $80, wouldn’t even have to work very hard. I do 1300-1400units/month these days without working too hard and without doing hearts. But how do you get a pooled unit of $80 if you’re 60%+ Medicare ($21-22/unit)?

Last edited:
You can do it cheaper than that. You don’t need an undergrate degree. Once you get your commercial license you can get a job In charter, corporate or be a flight instructor to build hours until you can go to delta… the pay isn’t good but the hours build up fast.
The flight schools offer financing. If you go to college pick a school that has an aviation program.
It should be hard though…. I don’t want some ding dong flying my American Airlines flight :)
I used to think most were former military. i'm sure a good amount are

some of the cards guys in my group make low 900s - plus stock dividends they can hit just into 7 figures - they work for it- mostly solo but some supervision. I recently had a candidate tell me their current gig in seattle makes 700 for 40h a week with 10 weeks vacation... I didnt know the PNW was that lucrative??? or if they were trying to play me? maybe they have to? I wouldnt want to live there but I thought it was a desirable location for some.
I think they were trying to play you. you can get high income in that area of the country but you will certainly work more than 40hrs and have less that 10wks vacay

you can always be a pain doc full time,

then hold a contract ($) at a rural hospital requiring 24/7 physician coverage.

Then come on SDN and try to hire two docs for 1/3$ each.

Nightly call for a week, post call week off.
But OB isn’t very busy….and you’ll get 26 weeks vacation…and cases rarely occur at night…

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I used to fly for money prior to medical school. I recently reflected that I earn more money as an anesthesiologist working part time as an airline captain makes working full time. My information is a decade out of date, but I think most major airlines (excluding southwest) prefer a 4 year degree. Most jobs aside from banner towing, flight instruction, skydiving etc. require an ATP. It’s hard not to spend at least a year or two of your life building that time, for low pay, like far worse than residency. For those who ask, what about cargo… I leave this masterpiece:

You Know you're an old freight dog when-

*Your airplane was getting old when you were born.
. You have not done a daylight landing in the past six months.
. ATC advises you of smoother air at a different altitude, and you don't give a s—t .
. When you taxi up to an FBO they roll out the red carpet, but quickly take it back when they recognize you.
. You call the hotel van to pick you up and they don't understand where you are on the airport.
. Center asks you to "keep the chickens down" so they can hear you talk.
. Your airplane has more than 75,000 cycles.
. Your company call sign is "Oil Can".
. The lady at the FBO locks up the popcorn machine because you plan on "making a meal of it".
. Your airplane has more than eight faded logos on it.
. You wear the same shirt for a week, and no one complains.
. Center mispronounces your call sign more than three times in one flight.
. Your Director of Operations mysteriously changes your max. take off weight during the holiday season.
. Every FBO makes you park out of sight of their building.
. You have ever walked barefoot through the FBO............ because you just woke up.
. You mark every ramp with engine oil.
. Everything you own is in you flight bag and suitcase.
. All the other pilots wait for you to "test the squall line" first.
. All the other airlines hold to see if you get in.
. You request the visual approach with 300' overcast and ½ SM vis.
. You make no attempt to deviate around weather.
- You don't bother to check the weather because you're going anyways.
- You have an emotional reunion with your newly assigned Beech 99 because you used to fuel it 25 years earlier when it only had 18,000 cycles on it and the windows weren't painted over.
- You've slept more nights at Willow Run than in the house you grew up in.
- Upper management thinks a derelict fuel truck for you to sleep in is a "crew domicile".
- You hope to someday make it to the big time... Atlas Cargo.
- You carry your own personal step ladder in the back of the aircraft.
- you've changed tires, starter generators, and ADI's but you're neither an A&P or an avionics tech.

- The tip tanks also serve as an alarm clock when they run dry.
- You become VERY proficient at nightime aileron rolls to stay awake.
- You lose your radios and the approach controller says, "Hey, Mailbag 216, wake up! I know you're sleepin' up there!"
- On a clear night you consider it normal to make a low pass or two to clear the ground fog and deer off the runway at Presque Isle.
- You fly with a Captain who has both dead-sticked a DC-3 at night to a safe landing andhad to declare an emergency because his copilot tried to pee out an old antennae hole on a Convair 240 and was nearly castrated.​

There are definitely times anesthesiology can be terrible, but overall it’s a well compensated job that can be interesting. I think it’s given me a much better life than I could have had in most other fields.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I used to fly for money prior to medical school. I recently reflected that I earn more money as an anesthesiologist working part time as an airline captain makes working full time. My information is a decade out of date, but I think most major airlines (excluding southwest) prefer a 4 year degree. Most jobs aside from banner towing, flight instruction, skydiving etc. require an ATP. It’s hard not to spend at least a year or two of your life building that time, for low pay, like far worse than residency. For those who ask, what about cargo… I leave this masterpiece:

You Know you're an old freight dog when-

There are definitely times anesthesiology can be terrible, but overall it’s a well compensated job that can be interesting. I think it’s given me a much better life than I could have had in most other fields.
I like being an anesthesiologist- but pilot is a good gig too - my husbands best friend is a captain at southwest making 450 plus benefits and stock. He has enough seniority to pick and choose the trips he wants to take and works part time. I only remark because I had no idea what a good gig being a pilot was until I met my husband. My husband flew broken planes from Nigeria to Germany to get his hours. Also flew checks from dallas to Houston and Austin. It’s gotten better - these days most people flight instruct or charter right seat to get their hours and it’s an easier road than pilots used to have.

I like being an anesthesiologist- but pilot is a good gig too - my husbands best friend is a captain at southwest making 450 plus benefits and stock. He has enough seniority to pick and choose the trips he wants to take and works part time. I only remark because I had no idea what a good gig being a pilot was until I met my husband. My husband flew broken planes from Nigeria to Germany to get his hours. Also flew checks from dallas to Houston and Austin. It’s gotten better - these days most people flight instruct or charter right seat to get their hours and it’s an easier road than pilots used to have.
I think you are right. It is probably better now than in the bad old days. I had a beer recently with a guy who used to drive the fuel truck when I worked as a pilot. In the time it took me to go to medical school, residency, and get established in practice, he had gone to college, taken lessons, flown for air taxis and medevac, and had just gotten hired as an FO at a major. Still a few years until the left seat, but not at all bad.

I think there’s a good market for being a pilot right now, but that can change. The post 911 period was pretty rough.

Post 911 was tough (per my husband I didn’t know at the time). Kind of like being a doctor in a global pandemic…. :) the fields are very similar

But I’ve read that Certified Registered Aviation Pilots can do just as good of a job as real pilots for half the cost, though they have one-tenth of the training.

The RCT that had one plane full of people dying a fiery death with a CRAP at the helm didn’t reach statistical significance for differences in mortality.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Post 911 was tough (per my husband I didn’t know at the time). Kind of like being a doctor in a global pandemic…. :) the fields are very similar
Incredibly similar, but I find it odd that pilots are probably way more respected versus anesthesiologists given that we both literally have people's lives in our hands. I think the big difference is you don't have flight attendants trying to fly the plane.

Reactions: 8 users
Incredibly similar, but I find it odd that pilots are probably way more respected versus anesthesiologists given that we both literally have people's lives in our hands. I think the big difference is you don't have flight attendants trying to fly the plane.

I don't find it odd. The ASA and anesthesiologists in general have done a terrible job elucidating how anesthesia is a weeee bit more complex than simply "putting someone to sleep."

Even other medical professionals have no clue about anesthesiology. You should've seen how my pediatrician's demeanor changed at one of my son's first visits when she found out I was also an intensivist and not "just" an anesthesiologist. When she thought it was only the latter she was barely talking to me as if I was in healthcare, let alone an MD.

Reactions: 5 users