would podiatry suit the lifestyle i desire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poopsmcgeethe3rd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i am considering between dentistry or podiatry my gpa isn't that good roughly around 3.03 cgpa and 2.8 science gpa at a good school. After working ****ty jobs for a bit I realized that I want higher education and more wiling to work alot harder now than I was in undergrad. I coasted through undergrad. I want a job that pays good money, job where I can work for myself create my own business, a lifestyle that does not require all of my time since I have other hobbies and interests I would like to pursue, plus I wanna have time for wife and kids in the future and don't wanna be a father that just works all the time. I always felt like I am a businessman. I am still in the beginning stages of what path to choose from and will begin shadowing both professions soon. I know that I am comparing apples and oranges, but I am kinda stuck in a dilemma. If I decide to choose dental school I would have to most likely take a masters program and do well to increase my chances of getting accepted. However I would like to move forward than sideways, it would be alot of time and money. If I choose podiatry I will have a better chance of getting in, also I have a relative who will be entering around same time as me so we can help each other study and stuff. One thing that deters me about podiatry is the residency and how not everyone can get a spot. 7 years of your life still in schooling is a large investment of your time. That would really scare me to invest all this time and not be able to get a residency spot, since to practice it is mandatory to have that. Also the attrition rates scares me too. I do realize that I will need to work my ass off for either profession and have some self doubt as to whether I can handle the coursework. That is why I am planning to take some time off and just learn to be more of an effective student all the while decide on which profession is right for me. I want a sense of purpose in my life. I also like how podiatry is not an oversaturated field right now, where there is less competition there is more chance for you to grow your business. I would hate in the future that podiatry gets really competitive and I think back how I should have jumped on podiatry

Members don't see this ad.

3NTp1.gif

Well, Poops McGee the 3rd... I could say a lot of things, but I'm just going to say good luck. You're on the right path, but you're starting from way behind. Podiatry will very likely reach a saturation point within your working lifetime, and will also have an extremely high debt:income ratio. Might be better off working your butt off to get into dental school, then use the many options available for loan repayment (which are unavailable to pod students) to settle yourself into a comfortable future.

working lifetime, i think if you can set yourself up first and establish yourself than you can get a large chunk of the pie! If you could say alot of things say it, I am on here to seek more insight :)

Members don't see this ad :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/considering-podiatry-should-i-do-it.1070983/#post-15241836

^^ Why are you making multiple threads about the exact same topic (asking if you should do podiatry)? It's one thing to research a profession, but it sounds like you're literally looking for other people to make your decision for you. This is your decision to make. Second of all, I can't help but roll my eyes every time someone says that they didn't do that great in undergrad, but still want to make big dollars while having a nice lifestyle (because they don't want to be too busy). Let me tell you something. Busy = successful. The best thing you can hope to be when you get out of residency is to be very busy.

Another poster mentioned dentistry. They have the stereotype of making big bucks while not requiring huge hours. But dentistry is way more saturated, and dental school costs much more than pod school as well as being much more selective to get into. If were to propose alternatives to MD/DO/DPM, then I'd suggest PA school. 3 years of school. 6 digit salary right away when you get out. A nicer lifestyle because you have less responsibility. Sounds like what you're looking for.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry about that, I am also researching more on podiatry since I am relatively new to the idea and also want more insight on people's opinions about it. I was thinking about pa school at first, but I work in the hospital with physician and pas and it doesn't appeal to me. I don't like working for people and not having control in a business sense while they make the big bucks off my back. I should be clear that I am willing to work hard and be busy! I want a sense of purpose when I am working, like growing my own business, ,marketing my own brand, however once I get more established I would like to have time for other stuff

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/considering-podiatry-should-i-do-it.1070983/#post-15241836

^^ Why are you making multiple threads about the exact same topic (asking if you should do podiatry)? It's one thing to research a profession, but it sounds like you're literally looking for other people to make your decision for you. This is your decision to make. Second of all, I can't help but roll my eyes every time someone says that they didn't do that great in undergrad, but still want to make big dollars while having a nice lifestyle (because they don't want to be too busy). Let me tell you something. Busy = successful. The best thing you can hope to be when you get out of residency is to be very busy.

Another poster mentioned dentistry. They have the stereotype of making big bucks while not requiring huge hours. But dentistry is way more saturated, and dental school costs much more than pod school as well as being much more selective to get into. If were to propose alternatives to MD/DO/DPM, then I'd suggest PA school. 3 years of school. 6 digit salary right away when you get out. A nicer lifestyle because you have less responsibility. Sounds like what you're looking for.
I recommended dentistry more for the reimbursement options available than anything. If you're trying to decide between pod and dentistry and are willing to work either job, to me the choice is easy. Dentistry opens up about a dozen loan repayment programs that podiatry doesn't. Then again, I'm willing to give the military or the IHS a few years of my life...

I am willing too and was considering that option just that I have to put more work to get into a dental school. My gpa isn't that good and would probably have to do a masters program which is risky in itself. A masters degree wouldn't benefit me much in the science field, if I don't do well I would just be in more debt and even in a worse position.

Get back to us after you've shadowed both professions... Also why are you so set on just dentistry or podiatry? There are several careers in healthcare that pay relatively well and many many more outside of healthcare.

Reactions: 1 user
I have researched alot into the healthfield, and kinda narrowed down to that. I was thinking heavily into dentistry at first, but the thought of going thru masters program scares me, I rather move forward than sideways. Masters issue is the big thing deterring me from dental school atm

From observing your two posts which are redundant, I think the question you should be asking yourself is should I even be considering a health profession?If youre looking to be your own boss and market your own brand then just open your own business.
A health profession was an obvious choice for me because I made the realization at a mission trip that the best reward in life is helping others. I too was in a similar position but I actually chose dent, applied, interviewed at my top school, evaluated my needs ( my top school is 100k per year), canceled my app and now I will be applying for pod this august.
Anyways poopsmcgee, you cant seriously expect to be swayed or convinced into a profession. You have to come up with those reasons yourself otherwise youre going to have a bad time coming up with a personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
Well if having to do a masters to boost your app to dental school is enough to make you apply to other professions, then I would say dentistry is not for you. And with your GPA, you'd probably have to do a 2 year masters.

I want a job that pays good money, job where I can work for myself create my own business, a lifestyle that does not require all of my time since I have other hobbies and interests I would like to pursue, plus I wanna have time for wife and kids in the future and don't wanna be a father that just works all the time

Most podiatrists (and dentists) I know that created their own practice work all the time...just a bit of a reality check. Also with more physicians moving towards working for groups or hospitals, I think that based on your priorities and desires you should consider getting an MBA. It's a way shorter route and your earning potential is essentially limitless.