Worth emailing to confirm application materials received?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7884CK

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth emailing the program to confirm that all your application materials were received?

I have seen/heard of this tip before, but I wonder if this will seem like "too much" to the programs- they are already dealing with many applications for a small number of spots (and it's the holidays no less).

I emailed one program, only to receive an email saying they were out of the office until essentially the deadline (the first week of Jan.) The out of office reply referred residency questions to the chief resident, though I can't imagine the current resident being in a position to answer the question nor having the time/effort to deal with multiple applicants inquiring.

I am thinking it may not be worth it, but I would be upset to not-get an interview/residency and ultimately find out my app was incomplete.

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why not. I actually have attempted to contact programs because dealing with postal mail and then hospital mail systems, you never know. Some programs have been on top of things and send notifications when things are received. Other programs have been very difficult to find out any information.

I emailed all of my residencies to see whether they have received my application materials. Most of them responded with no problem except one. I think it's worth emailing them just because you don't want to risk not getting an interview because the application was not complete.

It's really frustrating to deal right now with programs because we are in the middle of the holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent out emails yesterday and every place responding back yesterday or today..you paid MONEY to send the applications you can check if they reached there..

I sent out emails yesterday and every place responding back yesterday or today..you paid MONEY to send the applications you can check if they reached there..

I mailed completed applications (with LORs and all), so I know that the apps are complete. To make sure they got there, I used delivery confirmation slips. I have received confirmations from 2/7 programs, but I didn't email anyone. All my delivery confirmations say they arrived, and one of my deadlines of my first choice in Monday, and no one is in the office till then. So I hope USPS is right!

I mailed completed applications (with LORs and all), so I know that the apps are complete. To make sure they got there, I used delivery confirmation slips. I have received confirmations from 2/7 programs, but I didn't email anyone. All my delivery confirmations say they arrived, and one of my deadlines of my first choice in Monday, and no one is in the office till then. So I hope USPS is right!

Lucky, I am stressing out about my letters of recommendation: some of my recommenders have not even started writing them.

Last edited:
Always, always, always get delivery confirmation! Then you can follow up with the programs regarding LORS and transcripts if need be. Just a word to the wise about LORs based on my experience, do not bug your recommenders (even if they do seem to be running late)! It's definitely not worth it! :)

Is there any reason you couldn't email the application materials?

I would only do that under extreme circumstances, think about the burden that would place on the program to print out all of YOUR materials.

Some programs want specifically only mailed materials; some programs told me that they want everything emailed. So it depends on the program...

ok man do you..i rather over do it then do little...

After a post office snafu with one program (don't ask) I called the remaining programs and asked if they'd received my LORs and my transcripts. I got interviews at the remaining sites, so it appears to have worked. Diligence pays off. :)

Like Janeno said, it depends on the program. 3 of my programs specifically wanted the materials e-mailed (not counting my transcript), but some wanted it mailed.

I wish more were like the U. of Washington, where everything's through their website and they update you when references have been added. They were even really good about changing a reference for me.

I wish more were like the U. of Washington, where everything's through their website and they update you when references have been added. They were even really good about changing a reference for me.

Agreed! One of my places is like that too and I absolutely love it!

Most programs email or send out letters stating that they received your material. The thing is, different residency programs have different due dates, and usually wont send out emails/letters until they received all their applications for the candidates (until the due date passed).