Worth doing a PGY2 - Emergency Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papichulooo_92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it doing a PGY2-EM? I have heard it is more marketable to do CritCare because you also get the strong ID component with the ED component. Atleast today, it is very much possible to move into an ED position without the PGY2. Personally, I have looked into the format of the residencies available and it very commonly comprised of 7-8 months in the ED; with other rotations in various ICUs, ID, and toxicology centers. I feel like I can do alot of self on the job teaching (though not the same - fully understood).

Thoughts? Also would love to hear from someone that did a PGY2 in EM.

Also, any thoughts on not having a board certification for EM?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it is still easier to get an ED job vs. a ICU job without a PGY2, but that is quickly changing with the number of PGY2-EM programs popping up. Also consider many PGY2-CC trained residents will also apply for ED positions.

There will likely be a board certification in EM soon as ACCP and ASHP are petitioning BPS right now. If that matters to you doing a PGY-2 will obviously allow you to sit for it sooner.

Can't comment on PGY-2 experiences, but I work in the ED with just a PGY-1.

Reactions: 2 users
As someone who did an EM PGY2 almost 10 years ago, I’m obviously a bit biased.

Historically it wasn’t particularly difficult to get an EM job without a PGY2 in anything, but as the number of EM PGY2s increases exponentially (I believe there are >50 now, compared to the 10 in 2009 when I applied) and number of critical care openings decrease, I know many hospitals aren’t spending much time looking at applicants fresh out of PGY1. Now PGY1 only + a few years of EM experience is a different story - I’ve worked with several fantastic EM pharmacists who hadn’t done a PGY2.

I work at a hospital with 2 PGY2 critical care residents and 1 PGY2 EM resident. The vast majority of the jobs the 3 of them have applied to were EM or EM/ICU hybrid, with a preference for strong EM experience.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say it is still easier to get an ED job vs. a ICU job without a PGY2, but that is quickly changing with the number of PGY2-EM programs popping up. Also consider many PGY2-CC trained residents will also apply for ED positions.

There will likely be a board certification in EM soon as ACCP and ASHP are petitioning BPS right now. If that matters to you doing a PGY-2 will obviously allow you to sit for it sooner.

Can't comment on PGY-2 experiences, but I work in the ED with just a PGY-1.
Im in a similar position. Recently complete my PGY1 and accepted an offer to be an ED Pharmacist for a mid-level hospital. I had a strong ED rotation and completed some advanced PGY1 rotations in ED so I feel decently prepared but I know its impossible to learn everything about ED in just 8 weeks. In the short term, a PGY2 in ED would prepare you better but long term I dont see the benefit. As someone stated, there are more ED jobs then ED residencies popping up so dont think it will be that necessary like a PGY2 in Ped or Oncology (more niche fields).

Also the board certification in emergency medicine is scheduled to come out next year I think.