Emailing a program you havent heard back from yet? (In terms of interview or not)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lollygagger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Wondering what I should do, or if someone had a similar situation/on the same boat.

I heard back from EVERY program I applied to except one (their deadline was first week of January)!
It's nearly February and ranks are due next month which is concerning considering that they are an out of state program, and if I was offered an interview I'd have to schedule a flight...

By this point, should I send a courtesy email to the residency director asking for the status on my application?
I'm kind of confused what is going on already.

I'm sure it's not an actual golden rule but I really thought it's a standard to send out rejections... :-/

Members don't see this ad.

I would especially if it hits the 30 day mark. And I have done this in the past with hit or miss response. Its sufficient time. Keep the email short, professional, and concise. "Good morning Dr. XXXX. My name is XXXXX. I am inquiring about my application status for the PGYX position. Looking forward to hearing from you soon! Have a good weekend. Best, XXXXX".

Hope this helps you. I have heard stories of people getting neither a rejection nor invite which makes me wonder if their application "fell through the cracks". It may or may not happen. But also staying positive that they might even revisit your application after they already but it in the 'no' pile.

Goodluck!

I think it depends - did you check the google doc to see if anyone else has heard? I'd probably let that decide. If no one has heard back, it may be more reasonable to email. if others have heard....I personally wouldn't. My thought is, at this point it is more than likely a no, or they're waiting on others to accept interviews and see if they have any left over spots. I would say it's unlikely that people reject interviews (though I had to reject two my first year just because my preceptor wouldn't let me take any more time, so I guess you never know).

So honestly you may be holding onto false hope at this point, but to that end, what do you have to lose? I'll be honest, some programs unfortunately just don't send out any notice of rejection, or wait until way later to do it. (I think second year I heard back from my last program halfway through february and I was like....well yeah, obviously I was rejected lol)

I realize this isn't a helpful response, but it really is up to you what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies guys! Much appreciated!
Yeah I've been going on that google doc but it just looks empty as well...it's a tiny community hospital but I enjoyed meeting them at Midyear.
I will probably email next week but you're right...this far along it seems pretty obvious I was rejected. I just feel left in the dust by this point and a bit impatient lol

I think at this point youre not getting an invite. Rank submissions are march 1st. Dont think theres much time to offer, organize travels before the deadline. Sorry buddy. You can definitely ask though