Worst interview answers/responses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that's a great answer. My brother is a dentist and if I was asked the same question, I would have a similar response.
aw that makes me feel a lot better.. thank you very much for your input and Happy Thanksgiving!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewer: What made you interested in dentistry?
Me: Well I first considered dentistry in middle school because I use to be treated by "rival dental school" and we always had a lot of fun, but my older sister told me about high suicide rates and I never considered it again until college.
(In my head: "why the hell did I bring that up, say something else")
Me: But I was young and didn't know much... I'm a dental assistant now.
Interviewers: ...Okay. (Intensely writing notes)

I just want to point out that I ended up getting accepted to this school. For those of you with interviews coming up try to relax. Do your best to act normal and enjoy the experience. Just look like you are happy to be there.

Reactions: 3 users
I just want to point out that I ended up getting accepted to this school. For those of you with interviews coming up try to relax. Do your best to act normal and enjoy the experience. Just look like you are happy to be there.

I also got an acceptance after my terrible Temple video. You never really know how an interview went I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't exactly an interview response, however, I think it represents what this thread is trying to get at...

So, I was running a little late for one of my interviews and needed to catch an elevator up to where I was supposed to meet admissions. I had a friendly gentleman hold the elevator for me, and, after noticing my suit and my slightly stressed out demeanor (I was late after all), he asked if I was interviewing. I said yes trying to come off casual (I'm completely normal!). I thought I'd take the opportunity to start a conversation (as I have at least a few social skills). "What could go wrong?" I thought.

I also replied "are you as well?" *My inner dialogue was screaming. What an idiot. Of course he's not interviewing you fool!* At this point, I noticed his name tag (Professor so-and-so). Seeing that felt like a dagger. I continued berating myself internally. The man gave me a quizzical look, chuckled, and said "no, I'm the one interviewing." My heart sank. Of course, I thought, it ends here. He will interview me and that will be the end for me. So, before I could correct myself, he walked off the elevator with a "good luck," (while possibly hearing some interviewee stammer incoherently after him) leaving me alone to run possible scenarios if I encountered this man again.

After that, things went fine until I walked into one of the interview rooms... Guess who I saw there?

Two professors I have had never before seen. What a relief. Praise Jesus!

Reactions: 10 users
This isn't exactly an interview response, however, I think it represents what this thread is trying to get at...

So, I was running a little late for one of my interviews and needed to catch an elevator up to where I was supposed to meet admissions. I had a friendly gentleman hold the elevator for me, and, after noticing my suit and my slightly stressed out demeanor (I was late after all), he asked if I was interviewing. I said yes trying to come off casual (I'm completely normal!). I thought I'd take the opportunity to start a conversation (as I have at least a few social skills). "What could go wrong?" I thought.

I also replied "are you as well?" *My inner dialogue was screaming. What an idiot. Of course he's not interviewing you fool!* At this point, I noticed his name tag (Professor so-and-so). Seeing that felt like a dagger. I continued berating myself internally. The man gave me a quizzical look, chuckled, and said "no, I'm the one interviewing." My heart sank. Of course, I thought, it ends here. He will interview me and that will be the end for me. So, before I could correct myself, he walked off the elevator with a "good luck," (while possibly hearing some interviewee stammer incoherently after him) leaving me alone to run possible scenarios if I encountered this man again.

After that, things went fine until I walked into one of the interview rooms... Guess who I saw there?

Two professors I have had never before seen. What a relief. Praise Jesus!

I had a similar experience it was after my VCU interview though and I was going to my car in the parking deck elevator. He asked if I was interviewing and I said yes, are you as well? He said no I'm interviewing you all. I was like oh okay cool, trying to play it off. Then he asked the names of my 2 interviewers and I couldn't remember so I looked for the business cards and told him. He got off the elevator and said good luck hope you get in, sort of sarcastically. I never heard back from VCU lol.

Reactions: 2 users
So I'm the only one strutting around like a boss after every interview?

Reactions: 4 users
Since I already got into my dream school, here's one from a school I got waitlisted at:

*Enters room, starts saying hello and such*

Interviewer: You didn't talk about xyz on your application

Me: Actually sir, that is included on my supplemental since my AADSAS was full :)

Interviewer: I see. You should include that on your main application next time you apply.

I didn't think much of it during the rest of the interview and the rest of it went pretty well, but when I got home I was like, oh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
Since I already got into my dream school, here's one from a school I got waitlisted at:

Me: Actually sir, that is included on my supplemental since my AADSAS was full :)

Interviewer: I see. You should include that on your main application next time you apply.

I didn't think much of it during the rest of the interview and the rest of it went pretty well, but when I got home I was like, oh.

That's so savage. Lol

Reactions: 6 users

what was missing anyway?:hurting:
That was so cruel. I am glad you got in where you wanted to

what was missing anyway?:hurting:
That was so cruel. I am glad you got in where you wanted to
Thanks! I didn't put dental internships that were before my undergrad years on AADSAS, I put them on my supplemental

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure how much this fits, because it's more of a "worst interview experience" sort of story.

But anyway, interview 1:
I walk into the room and before I shake my interviewer's hand, he says "Obviously you must know your gpa isn't competitive." (He's not wrong, but geez). Then afterward he says "I'm looking at your file, and clearly there are some classes that you're just very bad at. Organic chemistry for example." So I spent the next few minutes explaining how if he read further into the file, he could see I retook the class for an A and nailed the orgo DAT portion. The rest of the interview was just as stressful and condescending.

Interview 2:
I was asked how I plan to pay for school. I say that since I don't come from a wealthy background, I'll unfortunately have to finance through loans. The WHOLE rest of the interview is him grilling me about how young and dumb I must be to think loans are a viable option for an expensive school and how foolish I am for not immediately signing up with the Navy (he's a retired officer). The interview ends with him running out of time mid-rant.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how much this fits, because it's more of a "worst interview experience" sort of story.

But anyway, interview 1:
I walk into the room and before I shake my interviewer's hand, he says "Obviously you must know your gpa isn't competitive." (He's not wrong, but geez). Then afterward he says "I'm looking at your file, and clearly there are some classes that you're just very bad at. Organic chemistry for example." So I spent the next few minutes explaining how if he read further into the file, he could see I retook the class for an A and nailed the orgo DAT portion. The rest of the interview was just as stressful and condescending.

Interview 2:
I was asked how I plan to pay for school. I say that since I don't come from a wealthy background, I'll unfortunately have to finance through loans. The WHOLE rest of the interview is him grilling me about how young and dumb I must be to think loans are a viable option for an expensive school and how foolish I am for not immediately signing up with the Navy (he's a retired officer). The interview ends with him running out of time mid-rant.

Jeez

Interviewer: So, when did you start shadowing Dr. X?

Me: In March.

Interviewer: ...March of?

Me: This year

Interviewer: Wow, that's pretty recent. You must not have observed for very long then.

Me: Errrr.... hahah... I guess so!

(Accepted btw)

Reactions: 5 users
My worst interview experience (yet):

At School X, I'm talking with two interviewers and I'm stressing out because they just don't seem impressed by me. Then one of them asked:

Interviewer 1: You're from Y state, so you must have applied to the in-state school? You don't want to go there?
Me: Well, I haven't received an interview there yet... *starts laughing awkwardly because I just gave the worst answer possible*

We somehow continue talking, and the interview's coming to an end. I'm still feeling pretty stressed when they ask if I have any questions. Then this brilliant (SARCASM) question comes into my mind:

Interviewer 2: Well, do you have any other questions for us?
Me: Yeah..... so one of the D3's that we talked to told us that D1's who fail a certain course get kicked out of the school. Is this true???
******Most awkward silence that I ever encountered in an interview for 8 seconds******
Interviewer 2: Well..... we do expect our students to do well.... (continues on but I'm just zoning out at this point b/c I realize that this school is a lost hope for me)

I haven't heard back from the school since :')

Reactions: 8 users
Not so much a bad interview response but something the interviewer said to me that made me laugh.

Interviewer: Why become a dentist?

Me: *give response about helping people and being a productive member of my community that offers a valuable and meaningful service along with some other positive aspects of being a dentist that I like*

Interview: That was a good answer. There's one more thing you're forgetting though.

Me: *raise eyebrow and blank*

Interview: To make money.

Reactions: 7 users
My interview at NYU was going really well and the interviewer was laughing at a lot of my responses. Then he tried to ask me a serious question...

Interviewer: So, can you multi-task?

Me: Yeah I think I multi-task pretty well. It's really tough at times but I think i have a good balance between sleeping, drinking, and studying

Interviewer: *bursts out laughing*... It's like a triathlon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Just spent about an hour reading this whole thread while I am suppose to be studying for my Biochem Final lol

Well Worth it!

At the end of my of one of my interviews, as I was thanking them for taking the time to interview me, one of the interviewers stopped me and told me I should be "proud for making it this far".

Needless to say his word choice convinced me that was as far as I was going to make it, but I ended up getting accepted. So easy to overanalyze things.

At the end of my of one of my interviews, as I was thanking them for taking the time to interview me, one of the interviewers stopped me and told me I should be "proud for making it this far".

Needless to say his word choice convinced me that was as far as I was going to make it, but I ended up getting accepted. So easy to overanalyze things.
Your interviewer probably posted that in the interviewer version of this thread.

I think he said that because although he may have been impressed and convinced you would be a great dentist, its not up to your interviewer if you get accepted. Most schools hold a meeting with all the admission committee members and vote.

Your interviewer probably posted that in the interviewer version of this thread.

That would be hilarious if they had an interviewer version of this thread.. I can only imagine all the crazy stories they have of the dumb things we say. :laugh:

That would be hilarious if they had an interviewer version of this thread.. I can only imagine all the crazy stories they have of the dumb things we say. :laugh:
I bet you the have it on dentaltown or something LOL

I had my interviewer say outright after I answered an ethical question that it was the best answer he's heard all day. And my interview was about 10 min longer than everyone else. Is this a good sign?

I had my interviewer say outright after I answered an ethical question that it was the best answer he's heard all day. And my interview was about 10 min longer than everyone else. Is this a good sign?
I feel like that is obviously a good sign. But as with bad signs... nothing is guaranteed.

My interviewers at UDM said the same thing and I was accepted. They also congratulated me at the end too though

But anyway, interview 1:

Interview 2:

Did you get in?

what school did you interview at?

You know, I don't know if I feel comfortable saying where. I don't at all think either of those interviews are representative of the school or their faculty. I'd hate to sway someone's opinion of a school based on my odd experience.

But if you're personally that curious, PM me.

I think this thread needs a revival! It's not an answer/response, but more like an embarrassing, awkward move.

This didn't happen during my interview, but rather before during the sit-down chats with the current D4s while us pre-dents were nervously waiting to be called for our individual interviews. There was a nice breakfast display going on, and I grabbed a grape cluster and put it on my plate. While I was mindlessly popping the grapes into my mouth one-by-one as I listened to the conversations at the table, without notice my hand reached for the entire grape stem and I fed it into my mouth ... Yeah, that didn't taste like a grape ... nor feel like a grape ... I then proceeded to spit it out as lady-like as possible discretely into a napkin and hoped to god no one noticed that I almost ate a twig ...

Reactions: 8 users
I think this thread needs a revival! It's not an answer/response, but more like an embarrassing, awkward move.

This didn't happen during my interview, but rather before during the sit-down chats with the current D4s while us pre-dents were nervously waiting to be called for our individual interviews. There was a nice breakfast display going on, and I grabbed a grape cluster and put it on my plate. While I was mindlessly popping the grapes into my mouth one-by-one as I listened to the conversations at the table, without notice my hand reached for the entire grape stem and I fed it into my mouth ... Yeah, that didn't taste like a grape ... nor feel like a grape ... I then proceeded to spit it out as lady-like as possible discretely into a napkin and hoped to god no one noticed that I almost ate a twig ...

Thats not how you seduce the D4s lol.

Interview is going pretty well, I can tell the faculty guy is getting slightly annoyed at how calm/confident I was while answering some of his *tougher* questions (not sure why lol).

Interview Guy: "So, ______, This is your first time applying to dental school, correct?
Me: Yes, thats correct.
Interviewer: "So what will you do if you aren't accepted this cycle?"
Me, (having already been accepted): well....... (what do I say???????)....ummmnn.... (interview guy seems amused at my uneasiness)... Well, Ive kind of already been accepted....
Interviewer, looking awkwardly at the 4th year interviewer, then back at me: "Oh......"

After a few seconds of awkwardness, I jump in and tell him what he wanted to hear, that Id improve whatever I needed to blah blah blah and reapply next year lol.

Result: Accepted, and most likely attending next fall.

Reactions: 10 users
During a particularly stressful 2 on 1 interview, I could tell things weren't going well. I had been asked one question 5 different times (how I was unique/what I brought to the table/what made me stand out/how could I contribute to the diversity of the student body) and I struggled to come up with 5 different answers. The questions were rapid fire and at one point, the interviewers asked me to describe their own school's curriculum (some version of PBL) and asked me to comment on why I thought it was an effective way of learning. Luckily I had browsed the brochure beforehand so could answer this question, but it just felt like I was getting interrogated.

Near the end, I was asked to describe my weaknesses and I took 20 second of pause to think about it, and was feeling particularly awful because it was clear my interviewers and I just didn't click. Before I said anything, one of the interviewers frowns and goes, "So you have no weaknesses?" in a completely deadpan way. I stammered out an answer, but was pretty shocked at his attitude.

Longest 45 minutes ever.

During a particularly stressful 2 on 1 interview, I could tell things weren't going well. I had been asked one question 5 different times (how I was unique/what I brought to the table/what made me stand out/how could I contribute to the diversity of the student body) and I struggled to come up with 5 different answers. The questions were rapid fire and at one point, the interviewers asked me to describe their own school's curriculum (some version of PBL) and asked me to comment on why I thought it was an effective way of learning. Luckily I had browsed the brochure beforehand so could answer this question, but it just felt like I was getting interrogated.

Near the end, I was asked to describe my weaknesses and I took 20 second of pause to think about it, and was feeling particularly awful because it was clear my interviewers and I just didn't click. Before I said anything, one of the interviewers frowns and goes, "So you have no weaknesses?" in a completely deadpan way. I stammered out an answer, but was pretty shocked at his attitude.

Longest 45 minutes ever.
Wow

Longest 45 minutes ever.

Yikes.

Longest 45 minutes ever.

Ouch, I'm sorry this happened to you. This is like my interview nightmare.

When asked why dentistry over medical school: "I'd rather look in patients' mouths than at their butts..." In my head I definitely did a mental face-slap and was like omg why the hell would I ever say that. Thank goodness the interviewer burst out laughing

Result: accepted :)

Reactions: 9 users
Not really a horrible answer/question but more so a funny encounter. And plus I just kind of want to contribute to this legendary thread.

The interviewer cracks a joke unexpectedly while we were walking through the school...
Me: "Wow you really whipped that out of nowhere"
Interviewer: (gets closer to me and whispers into my ear) "Be careful... you don't want to do that here"
Then proceeds to give me a solid handshake while he bursts out laughing.

It's the little things that matter, lol.

Reactions: 5 users
My interviewer said "****" (the f word if it is censored) on 3 seperate occasions during my interview when telling stories, and also somehow got on the rant that "if trump came in for a root canal I'm not too sure I would do it but that's another topic we won't get into". He said something like that haha.

Just a super odd interview, but actually a very relaxed and one of my favorite.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Not really a horrible answer/question but more so a funny encounter. And plus I just kind of want to contribute to this legendary thread.

The interviewer cracks a joke unexpectedly while we were walking through the school...
Me: "Wow you really whipped that out of nowhere"
Interviewer: (gets closer to me and whispers into my ear) "Be careful... you don't want to do that here"
Then proceeds to give me a solid handshake while he bursts out laughing.

It's the little things that matter, lol.
LMAO, I love it when people have a sense of humor.

Not true. Waitlisted at NYU and the interviewer said I was going to make her cry lol.
Yeah I think NYU doesn't want anyone who is likely to have other options. Lol. My interview went great and I got waitlisted. Good lunch tho loll