Worst interview answers/responses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I have another one (yay)
Interviewer: So, why our school?
Me: well, I was looking for schools on the east coast, such as the north east, south east, middle east.
...wait
Interviewer (mumbling) : ya the middle east has some great dental schools
me: what?
interviewer: what?
interviewer: anyway
Result: Accepted!!
Lol why are these people accepting me? Whatever, not complaining

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview: So what types of things to do you do that demonstrate you have good hand skills? (something along those lines)

Me: ummm....... wellll...... I guess I cut a lot of fruit at my job. (Pauses to think) Yeah that's about it.

Result: Accepted

Not super bad but still one of those ones that you beat yourself up for later. Funny thing is I had this exact question the previous year interviewing at the same place and my answer was much better. Also to add I also do origami from time to times and have done a bit of electrical wiring also.

Reactions: 5 users
*This was my 6th interview and I was so over the whole interview process*

Interviewer: Do you have any questions for me?

Me: Where did you graduate from?

Interviewer: Where did I graduate from? *Stares blankly*

Me: Yeah! Where did you graduate from dental school?

Interviewer: I'm not a dentist. *Continues to stare*

Me: Uhhh... Oh. *Looks at her white coat and notices she's a Phd*

Me: So what do you do here at the school of dentistry?

Interviewer: So you think because i'm not a DDS I shouldn't be allowed to work here?

Me: (Ugh I just want to go back to Texas):bang:

I got accepted but needless to say i'm not attending this school.

*This was my 6th interview and I was so over the whole interview process*

Interviewer: Do you have any questions for me?

Me: Where did you graduate from?

Interviewer: Where did I graduate from? *Stares blankly*

Me: Yeah! Where did you graduate from dental school?

Interviewer: I'm not a dentist. *Continues to stare*

Me: Uhhh... Oh. *Looks at her white coat and notices she's a Phd*

Me: So what do you do here at the school of dentistry?

Interviewer: So you think because i'm not a DDS I shouldn't be allowed to work here?

Me: (Ugh I just want to go back to Texas):bang:

I got accepted but needless to say i'm not attending this school.

Lol you should've been like "Yup. Even the maintenance crew should have DDS's"

Reactions: 8 users
Every interviewer I had was a DDS or dental student. Why would they have a PhD interview you..?
Houston had a dude with a PhD interview me he was a professor.
This lady had a PhD in Psychology. She was the chair of the dental public health department.

Reactions: 1 user
Student Interviewer

Interviewer-"So, what are 3 weaknesses."

Me- I list 2 reasonable weaknesses and started to blank...stomach growls... "I guess my third weakness is food. I really like to eat good food."

Make sure to eat breakfast before interviewing...

Reactions: 7 users
Anything else recently? I know lots of you guys had post December interviews ;)

Reactions: 2 users
This is super old, but just realized I have a good one:

Interviewer at OOS school: So you'd be fine leaving CA?
Me: Oh sure, I think it'd be awesome to live somewhere else.
Interviewer: Where else have you interviewed?
Me: *Lists off a school in CA*
Interviewer: I thought you were looking to get out of CA?
Me: *realizing how I kind of contradicted myself* Well, you never know when grandma's going to die so I applied to a couple places near her. *IMMEDIATELY PANICKED BECAUSE WHY DID I SAY THAT OHMYGAWD* (Also I said it in a humorous/joking way...as one would naturally discuss the death of grandmas...)

Result: Accepted!

Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is super old, but just realized I have a good one:

Interviewer at OOS school: So you'd be fine leaving CA?
Me: Oh sure, I think it'd be awesome to live somewhere else.
Interviewer: Where else have you interviewed?
Me: *Lists off a school in CA*
Interviewer: I thought you were looking to get out of CA?
Me: *realizing how I kind of contradicted myself* Well, you never know when grandma's going to die so I applied to a couple places near her. *IMMEDIATELY PANICKED BECAUSE WHY DID I SAY THAT OHMYGAWD* (Also I said it in a humorous/joking way...as one would naturally discuss the death of grandmas...)

Result: Accepted!
LMAO OMG you did NOT SAY THAT.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
well...

Out of State School

interviewer: so why is this your top choice? you want to leave new york to come to school here?
me: this isn't my top choice I'm using this as a backup just in case I can't get into a school in new york.

yes.

Reactions: 9 users
well...

Out of State School

interviewer: so why is this your top choice? you want to leave new york to come to school here?
me: this isn't my top choice I'm using this as a backup just in case I can't get into a school in new york.

yes.
You said what we all wouldn't dare say!

A+ for honesty

well...

Out of State School

yes.
You're so bold lol. Did you get accepted?

This thread is a perfect reminder that if I say the wrong thing in the future, I can just look back on here and feel at ease.

Last edited:
This happened at the beggining of the interview season at -

Last edited:
Let me add to this:

This happened a few years ago when I was interviewing at USC in a group interview. My question was: "If your house is on fire, what are the 3 items you would save? (They can't be living things)"

Me: "Okay, first I would grab my laptop, because I have all my information and works in there. It would definitely help me recover from the disaster" (In my mind: awesome I think I got this question! Ez Pz....)

Int: Okay, very good. What's the second one?

(now... what's my next item)

5-seconds pause

Me: (Oh!!) "I would then grab all my paper documents... because... (because???) because... It would definitely help me recover from the disaster (****! I'm not a smart guy)

Int: Alright yeah... sure.. makes sense.

(at this point, I was blanking so bad. With all eyes in the room on me, I can't think of anything smart)

Me: My SNOWBOARD!!

Int: Why?

Me: Cuz I like snowboarding.

Int: Okay.

Me: Okay. *awkward smile*

Interviewer: so, whats the name of the last book you read?
Me: I don't read
Interviewer: oh, well whats the name of your favorite book?
Me: I don't know I don't read

Reactions: 20 users
I arrived so late that the dean called me to see if I was still coming.

Interviewer: tell me something you like to do

Me: I like to workout. *pause* it's great for your physical and mental health

Interviewer: you're right. I should start going to the gym

Me: yeah you should start lifting. Since women don't have as must T as men, lifting can prevent bone loss in older women (she was still in her forties)

Reactions: 15 users
I arrived so late that the dean called me to see if I was still coming.

Interviewer: tell me something you like to do

Me: I like to workout. *pause* it's great for your physical and mental health

Interviewer: you're right. I should start going to the gym

Me: yeah you should start lifting. Since women don't have as must T as men, lifting can prevent bone loss in older women (she was still in her forties)
Omg :laugh: You called a woman old and out of shape, the two things women love to be called!!

This wasn't at an interview, but on UNC's supplemental for the last question about "anything else you'd like the admissions committee to consider?"

Me: I may not be from North Carolina, but if you squint really hard it kind of looks like Northern California, where I am from, if that means anything.

Result: Didn't even get an interview haha. Oh well, I tried! :rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Interviewer: so tell me about a time you faced an obstacle you had to overcome
*I forgot to silence my phone and it starts vibrating intensely from receiving text messages*
Me: oh ****

Result: Rejected

Reactions: 12 users
UGH.. Finally did it...

I walk into the room, greet my 3 interviewers and sit down (this is my 5th interview mind you.. I should have this down)

Interviewer: (3 minute long "don't be nervous" introduction)
Me (mentally): Ok I'm not nervous.. lets get this going I'm starting to day dream here...
Interviewer: So why dentistry?
Me: Dentistry has everything, (I go on about shadowing doctors, PTs, Dentists etc. getting to work with my hands and helping people.. then I totally just lost my train of thought and repeated myself).. sorry I totally just spaced out, ahahahaha.
Interviewer: no problem... (moves along to next questions)

The rest of the interview went great. Interview was over, went back downstairs to where we were all gathered and waiting etc. Sat there about 3 minutes, looked down and my fly was unzipped... awesome... I went to restroom right before the interview and it must have been down the whole time...

I actually got into this school and will be attending LOL

So it was a group interview. The interviewers came in and asked silly questions to break the ice. One was "what's your favorite/funniest commercial?" Everyone talked about an appropriate ad and passed it to the next person. I went completely pale..Why? I'm an immigrant who only watches netflix (no ads) and youtube (with AdBlock). No cable. So mind you I blanked out, and not wanting to look nerdy the ONLY one I could remember was a banned Budlight super-bowl commercial that someone had shared on Facebook ages ago. I basically sensored out all of its funny stuff while giggling histerically and said:

- "Remember that Budlight ad with two dogs in it?... That one...heehee"

Everyone: 8|

Interviewer: well...next.

Proud of my relevant input, the moment of truth hit about 30 seconds later. Needless to say: waitlisted.

Here is the commercial if you haven't seen it.

Reactions: 6 users
So it was a group interview. The interviewers came in and asked silly questions to break the ice. One was "what's your favorite/funniest commercial?" Everyone talked about an appropriate ad and passed it to the next person. I went completely pale..Why? I'm an immigrant who only watches netflix (no ads) and youtube (with AdBlock). No cable. So mind you I blanked out, and not wanting to look nerdy the ONLY one I could remember was a banned Budlight super-bowl commercial that someone had shared on Facebook ages ago. I basically sensored out all of its funny stuff while giggling histerically and said:

- "Remember that Budlight ad with two dogs in it?... That one...heehee"

Everyone: 8|

Interviewer: well...next.

Proud of my relevant input, the moment of truth hit about 30 seconds later. Needless to say: waitlisted.

Here is the commercial if you haven't seen it.

OMG.. Absolutely the same here. Immigrant, Netflix only...who watches tv nowadays?! But I wasn't able to remember ANY commercial so the first thing that came to mind was the ridiculous old spice ad with the guy on a horse, in a towel, on the beach, etc...
I forget what I said but I laughed. Looking around the room everyone was just staring at me with a straight face
Should've just said "I don't watch TV" mic drop...

So it was a group interview. The interviewers came in and asked silly questions to break the ice. One was "what's your favorite/funniest commercial?" Everyone talked about an appropriate ad and passed it to the next person. I went completely pale..Why? I'm an immigrant who only watches netflix (no ads) and youtube (with AdBlock). No cable. So mind you I blanked out, and not wanting to look nerdy the ONLY one I could remember was a banned Budlight super-bowl commercial that someone had shared on Facebook ages ago.
OMG.. Absolutely the same here. Immigrant, Netflix only...who watches tv nowadays?! But I wasn't able to remember ANY commercial so the first thing that came to mind was the ridiculous old spice ad with the guy on a horse, in a towel, on the beach, etc...
I forget what I said but I laughed. Looking around the room everyone was just staring at me with a straight face

Not to be rude, just genuinely curious, but what does being an immigrant have to do with it?

I'm not an immigrant. I don't have cable and primarily use Netflix/Hulu/OTA channels. I can't think of a funny commercial off the top of my head that I'd like to explain in an interview (what a terrible ice breaker!). I don't understand the connection...? Do you think all US-born citizens have cable? Or are raised to pay attention to commercials? lol I'm sure if it were up to the marketing departments we would be.

Not to be rude, just genuinely curious, but what does being an immigrant have to do with it?

I'm not an immigrant. I don't have cable and primarily use Netflix/Hulu/OTA channels. I can't think of a funny commercial off the top of my head that I'd like to explain in an interview (what a terrible ice breaker!). I don't understand the connection...? Do you think all US-born citizens have cable? Or are raised to pay attention to commercials? lol I'm sure if it were up to the marketing departments we would be.

No, I don't think citizens are raised to watch commercials lol An immigrant is like a child learning a new culture who doesn't know what he/she doesn't know. If one is casually aked "did you know___?" The First reaction is "Should I have known?!" And connecting the dots from previous exposures one comes to a conclusion that it must be a cultural thing, otherwise I should have been able to answer it. It's like football (or unfortunately Kardashians); not every American is a fan but it's an American thing and can be a coversation starter in many instances. So knowing about superbowls commercials I thought maybe TV ads are a thing here. Otherwise who would bring that up in an interview!

I'm not saying all citizens watch TV, but we are living in an era where we have to pay to not see commercials every 2 seconds. By mentioning my status as a recent immigrant I wanted to emphesize the fact that I have been less to none familar with the ads on TV compared to a citizen who might have been more exposed to them throughout the years.

Reactions: 10 users

I was asked the same question. I froze up as well. This must have been karmic justice for using adblock, gosh darn it.

Reactions: 8 users
Int: "so blah blah blah....."
Me: (Tried not to keep a constant eyes contact) cut her off ..." That's an interesting lamp (spiral shape lamp behind her chair) you have.... OHH I am sorry, I'm trying to look straight but your lamp keeps diverge me to its direction." :bang:
int: :eyebrow:...(awkward 2 secs silence)
Me: "I am amazed by the craftsmanship of that lamp. I like to look at unique funitures in my surroundings. They give me ideas on how I should decorate my house."
Int: "yea.. My lamp is great.."

Result: accepted :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Interviewer: So this is your first time here what do you think of the city so far? (In a thick southern accent)

Me: Oh yeah it's um.... Very southern... (slightly disgusted facial expression)

Rejected.

Last edited:
Interviewer: So this is your first time here what do you think of the city so far? (In a thick southern accent)

Rejected.

What's wrong with being southern?!

I told this joke to my interviewer at Oklahoma ...

This girl was ask what is her weakness
Girl said "honesty"
Interviewer: honesty is not a weakness?
Girl: I don't give a **** what you think

I think I got rejected because of this.

not my proudest moment....

Interviewer: so, what is your impression of our school?
Me: the students here seem really stressed out and cutthroat.

....rejected.... why do I do this. :beat:

Reactions: 14 users
Interviewer: What books have you read lately?
Me: Well, one book I've really enjoyed was "The Sun Also Rises."
Interviewer: Oh, do you remember what Jake's (the main character) injury was?
Me: Uh... (stuttering)... h-his leg?
Interviewer: *starts laughing*

Side note: If you haven't read the book, it's heavily implied that Jake injures his, uh, manhood during his stint as a soldier, making him impotent.
.... so needless to say, I was rejected LOL

Rejected.
What school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

At my first interview where I was super nervous...

Interviewer: How do you overcome challenges?

Me: I like challenges because I am motivated to do better when I am challenged. When I am motivated I can tackle challenges better.

Interviewer: *chuckles to himself* (Result: accepted)

Nothing to do with interviews, but ya'll might get a kick out of it anyways. I went to my local pizzeria and asked for the margarita sauce and then adamantly repeated to the staff that I had ordered it several times (not realizing why they were laughing) before I realized what I was saying. I left with my pizza in shame; I now need to find a new pizzeria.

This was pre-Dec, not that funny but here was my impulsive answer to one of those ethical/moral questions:

Interviewer: What would you do if your best friend tried to get you to cheat on an exam by giving you the answers?
Me: Then we wouldn't be friends anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
not my proudest moment....

Interviewer: so, what is your impression of our school?
Me: the students here seem really stressed out and cutthroat.

....rejected.... why do I do this. :beat:
Florida?

Interview at my top choice, my university and my top choice are rivals.
Int: do you really feel like you're getting a good education at xyz?
Me: (shocked at the disrespectful tone towards my university) of course, I put my heart and soul into my education, and like anything you reap what you sow.
Int: nods head.
Also I'd like to add that my legs were shaking and they could totally see it. There was no desk or anything for protection
Result: wait listed

Randomly thought of this the other day...this was towards the end of the interview and my interviewer and I started randomly talking about television shows based on my answer to a previous question. It eventually lead us to talking about cooking.

Interviewer: What is your favorite dish in college to make?
Me: (first thing that came to my head) Rice.
Interviewer: Just plain rice?
Me: Sorry it has been a long day...(that interview day started at 7 AM with my interview closer to 1 PM and my flight got delayed that night making me arrive to my hotel at 4 AM).
Interviewer: Well, why rice?
Me:I can make minute rice in under a minute and I am living on a college budged.
Interviewer: Wow, now that is something special...(he started laughing right after and we both did for awhile)

Results: Accepted

Rejected.

Similar to this, I had an interviewer comment on my hometown (in which the interviewer had previously lived for a brief period of time) and how he was much happier after moving and leaving "those type of people" behind. I didn't exactly know how to respond (the comment caught me off guard) and think it set a bad tone for the rest of my interview. Ended up getting rejected from that school but I probably dodged a bullet.