Worst interview answers/responses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just you wait. I think I'll have some good experiences later in the cycle. I can totally see myself goofing in an interview
I told one interviewer that my biggest weakness was foreign languages. I don't speak any other languages... I had so many things planned to say for that question but of course that's the answer I came up with.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I told one interviewer that my biggest weakness was foreign languages. I don't speak any other languages... I had so many things planned to say for that question but of course that's the answer I came up with.

At least it's unique. Your interviewer probably hadn't heard that before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would love to see how this scenario plays out:

Q: Could you please describe yourself in one word?
A: Accepted.

Reactions: 14 users
I remember reading this thread years ago... I can't believe our chance is finally here!

Reactions: 3 users
This wasn't during the actual interview but the "informal interview" with the admissions coordinator who helps put our apps together.

Me: Oh theres candy on your desk can I get some?
Her: Sure!, do you like chocolate?
Me: No I prefer the jolly ranchers, they dont get stuck on my teeth.
Her: Really? they are sticky
Me: Im a sucker

Why did I say that.

:whoa:

Reactions: 20 users
This wasn't during the actual interview but the "informal interview" with the admissions coordinator who helps put our apps together.

Me: Oh theres candy on your desk can I get some?
Her: Sure!, do you like chocolate?
Me: No I prefer the jolly ranchers, they dont get stuck on my teeth.
Her: Really? they are sticky
Me: Im a sucker

Why did I say that.

:whoa:
Did you really say this Likky?!!?

You set yourself up for that one bro. haha

Interviewer: What made you interested in dentistry?
Me: Well I first considered dentistry in middle school because I use to be treated by "rival dental school" and we always had a lot of fun, but my older sister told me about high suicide rates and I never considered it again until college.
(In my head: "why the hell did I bring that up, say something else")
Me: But I was young and didn't know much... I'm a dental assistant now.
Interviewers: ...Okay. (Intensely writing notes)

Reactions: 15 users
I've always wanted to do this, but never have the confidence lol

Q: What's your biggest weakness?
A: Interviews...

Reactions: 7 users
This didn't happen during the actual interview, but rather during a panel with current dental students:

Female Dental Student: When you guys come to dental school, definitely invest in a crockpot. It saves you so much time!
Male Dental Student: Or you could just get a wife like I did.

There was an awkward 2 second silence but then everyone in the room laughed.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also during an interview this past week, we were all sitting in the admissions office waiting to be called for our interviews. This one kid got called for an interview, and as the admissions lady approached him and beckoned him to follow her, he's like "Can I bring my water bottle?" And after like an awkward pause of 2 seconds she was like "uhhh....yeah..."

He asked it in such an awkward way I had to try so hard not to smile.

Reactions: 1 user
This didn't happen during the actual interview, but rather during a panel with current dental students:

Female Dental Student: When you guys come to dental school, definitely invest in a crockpot. It saves you so much time!

Not all heroes wear capes...

At the end of one of my interview questions I pulled a Forest Gump and said "that's all I've got to say about that". Lol!

Yo i was mad uncomfortable when that dude said that lol

Reactions: 2 users
I brought up Pokemon at Ohio. They asked about how I would explain to a child why his tooth needed to be extracted. I said that sugar was super effective to teeth like fire was super effective to grass. It was a roleplay haha.

Reactions: 8 users
I was with a gentleman who had a bit weaker social skills than I did, which made our interview kinda awkward since he was more nervous than I was.

His first mistake: "so Paul, why don't you start off by telling me a little bit about yourself?"
Me: "uhh, well actually my name is Luke..."

He then asked me about a time that I had to make a decision with the spotlight on me and I referred to one time when I was refereeing a basketball game and had to make a few important calls. It was so awkward when he continued the interview thinking I was talking about refereeing wrestling...

Last edited:
I was recently at an interview and the interviewer caught me off guard when he asked me what my top choice dental school was.

This is me trying to dance around the question:

Interviewer: So what is your top choice?
Me: Top choice?
Interviewer: Ya what's your top choice dental school?
Me: *paused for a couple of seconds* um, well I want to go to the dental school that will provide me with the best clinical education.
Interviewer: So which one?
Me: My ultimate goal is general dentistry so the one that will give me the best hand skills and clinical experience.
Interviewer: No but which one specifically.
Me: *paused again* Well X school (the school I was interviewing at) is definitely at the top of my list because of its clinical excellence.
Interviewer: But is X school your top choice?!
Me: Ummmmmm, it's at the top of my list!?
Interviewer: So I guess you don't know yet.
*Then I think he wrote down on his paper: "applicant doesn't know top choice"

I didn't want to come across that I didn't have good decision making skills (or not genuine if I out and out said X school was my top choice) but I guess that is how it came out.

Reactions: 5 users
I would have danced around that question too! haha

I was recently at an interview and the interviewer caught me off guard when he asked me what my top choice dental school was.

This is me trying to dance around the question:

Interviewer: So what is your top choice?
Me: Top choice?
Interviewer: Ya what's your top choice dental school?
Me: *paused for a couple of seconds* um, well I want to go to the dental school that will provide me with the best clinical education.
Interviewer: So which one?
Me: My ultimate goal is general dentistry so the one that will give me the best hand skills and clinical experience.
Interviewer: No but which one specifically.
Me: *paused again* Well X school (the school I was interviewing at) is definitely at the top of my list because of its clinical excellence.
Interviewer: But is X school your top choice?!
Me: Ummmmmm, it's at the top of my list!?
Interviewer: So I guess you don't know yet.
*Then I think he wrote down on his paper: "applicant doesn't know top choice"

I didn't want to come across that I didn't have good decision making skills (or not genuine if I out and out said X school was my top choice) but I guess that is how it came out.
I just said that I didn't currently have a top choice and was going to base my final decision on lots of factors (things I learned at the interview, location, gut feeling, etc) and then really hammered home that their school was awesome and I would love to be there for the next four years.

I just said that I didn't currently have a top choice and was going to base my final decision on lots of factors (things I learned at the interview, location, gut feeling, etc) and then really hammered home that their school was awesome and I would love to be there for the next four years.

Exactly how I would go about it.

In the elevator with a D4 today with two kids, one of them only 4 weeks old.

Me: oh so it just came out four weeks ago

Everyone in elevator: LOL yeah "it" just came out!

Didn't mean to deliver it as a funny joke but apparently it was funny. :smack:

Reactions: 8 users
Temple Video NoteCard:

10 male students make a facebook group and are the only ones with access to the group. In the group they talk about their sexual interest with female students. What do you think of this?

My terrible response which has nothing to do with the question:
"Uh..well I think its definitely not right. Its not right, although those 10 are the only ones with access to the group. Especially female students sometimes don't view themselves at the same level as male students. & yeah that's what I think."

After the interview I was like why did I say any of that? o_O

Temple Video NoteCard:

10 male students make a facebook group and are the only ones with access to the group. In the group they talk about their sexual interest with female students. What do you think of this?

"Uh..well I think its definitely not right. Its not right, although those 10 are the only ones with access to the group. Especially female students sometimes don't view themselves at the same level as male students. & yeah that's what I think."

wot did i just read...

Reactions: 5 users
Temple Video NoteCard:

There are no words that can describe my confusion.

Last edited:
Come on folks why aren't there more. I think people are too scared to get identified. Last years thread was amazing!

Relax folks!!!

I don't have enough interviews to contribute. lol

InterviewerL Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Me: I see myself as a dentist, hopefully a pediatric dentist. I also see myself having a family or atlas married. Then I said, I see myself happy.

They looked almost confused that I said I see myself happy. In my head I was like, yea that is important. Hopefully they didn't think it was a bad answer haha.

Reactions: 1 user
InterviewerL Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Me: I see myself as a dentist, hopefully a pediatric dentist. I also see myself having a family or atlas married. Then I said, I see myself happy.

They looked almost confused that I said I see myself happy. In my head I was like, yea that is important. Hopefully they didn't think it was a bad answer haha.
I don't think that was a bad answer at all. For this question I had a somewhat similar answer

Some girl wore a hoodie to my last interview

Reactions: 19 users
Interviewer: Tell me about a time when you made a mistake and what you would do differently.

Me: (First thing that came to mind) I was on my way to an 8:30 am analytical chemistry exam a few weeks ago and I got stuck behind a school bus picking up kids in front of a trailer park. Professor said if we are at all late for the exam we will not be allowed to take it, so of course I'm panicking because I had been sitting there for over 5 minutes at that point. So I made the decision to pass the school bus on my little blue scooter going <5 mph. After taking my exam it occurred to me that what I had done was ILLEGAL, not just rude. I started panicking because, in West Virginia, passing a school bus is punishable by up to six months in jail, a misdemeanor charge, and a minimum of $250 fine. I couldn't believe I had such a lapse in judgment. If I could go back, I would have left way earlier, so early the bus drivers weren't even awake yet(At this point I had looked up at her) I probably shouldn't have said that, should I?

Interviewer: (With hand over her mouth and face red, laughing hysterically) That is the funniest response to that question I've ever gotten. Usually students say something along the lines of "I would have studied harder so I didn't get a C in organic chemistry."

**Luckily she was really fun and cool, but that could have been disastrous.

Reactions: 17 users
The "little blue scooter going <5 mph" bit got me. LOL

Reactions: 12 users
Here it is...

Might want to watch out, I obviously get a little wild on this hog

Attachments

• scooter.jpg
    scooter.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 213
Interviewer: Tell me about a time when you made a mistake and what you would do differently.

Me: (First thing that came to mind) I was on my way to an 8:30 am analytical chemistry exam a few weeks ago and I got stuck behind a school bus picking up kids in front of a trailer park. Professor said if we are at all late for the exam we will not be allowed to take it, so of course I'm panicking because I had been sitting there for over 5 minutes at that point. So I made the decision to pass the school bus on my little blue scooter going <5 mph. After taking my exam it occurred to me that what I had done was ILLEGAL, not just rude. I started panicking because, in West Virginia, passing a school bus is punishable by up to six months in jail, a misdemeanor charge, and a minimum of $250 fine. I couldn't believe I had such a lapse in judgment. If I could go back, I would have left way earlier, so early the bus drivers weren't even awake yet(At this point I had looked up at her) I probably shouldn't have said that, should I?

Interviewer: (With hand over her mouth and face red, laughing hysterically) That is the funniest response to that question I've ever gotten. Usually students say something along the lines of "I would have studied harder so I didn't get a C in organic chemistry."

**Luckily she was really fun and cool, but that could have been disastrous.

Haha I think that's actually a great answer for an off the wall/ situational question and one where you stand out amongst the other interviewees. Pretty hilarious story lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Haha I think that's actually a great answer for an off the wall/ situational question and one where you stand out amongst the other interviewees. Pretty hilarious story lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Haha, well thank you. I hope that it came off that way rather than me spilling my criminal behaviors.

Interviewer: What do you do in your spare time?
Me: I run a lot. Basically, I like to do anything outdoors.
Interviewer: What else?
Me: I make jewlery. Recently I have been into making things with wire.
Me: um, I used to spend a lot of time with my dog. But he died last week.
Interviewer: (with a super sad look on his face) do you like to read?
Me: oh, yeah definitely!

WHY did I say that?

Reactions: 10 users
Interviewer: What do you do in your spare time?
Me: I run a lot. Basically, I like to do anything outdoors.
Me: I make jewlery. Recently I have been into making things with wire.
Me: um, I used to spend a lot of time with my dog. But he died last week.
Interviewer: (with a super sad look on his face) do you like to read?
Me: oh, yeah definitely!

WHY did I say that?

Sorry about your dog. I know how hard that is.

Reactions: 6 users
Lol I literally feel the same way!! There's things I love and things I hate. Im actually a buckeye but I attend WVU in morgantown!

Hey guys, so I have an uncle who is a dentist. At my interview, I was asked, "so what did you learn from your uncle, that you didn't learn from other dentists?" So, at the time, the only answer that came to my mind was that, "well going over to his house many times, I realized how relatively well he was balancing his personal and professional life and he was at all family things, he was very happy waking up and going to work ( I know this because all of us cousins would sleep in his huge living room and being an early bird I would watch him go all around the house getting ready lmao). Initially when I came out of the interview, I was like "why did I even say that?" But now, I kind of think my answer was good because, how would you be able to see how a dentist balances his personal and professional life if you weren't in the dentist's personal life? lol. The interview also nodded as I said that.. so maybe it was a sign of approval? Lol ..I don't know if it was a good answer or I should've said something more field-related.. but that was the main thing in my mind. Any thoughts? @Scumbag_Steve ? haha

thanks in advance everyone!

Hey guys, so I have an uncle who is a dentist. At my interview, I was asked, "so what did you learn from your uncle, that you didn't learn from other dentists?" So, at the time, the only answer that came to my mind was that, "well going over to his house many times, I realized how relatively well he was balancing his personal and professional life and he was at all family things, he was very happy waking up and going to work ( I know this because all of us cousins would sleep in his huge living room and being an early bird I would watch him go all around the house getting ready lmao). Initially when I came out of the interview, I was like "why did I even say that?" But now, I kind of think my answer was good because, how would you be able to see how a dentist balances his personal and professional life if you weren't in the dentist's personal life? lol. The interview also nodded as I said that.. so maybe it was a sign of approval? Lol ..I don't know if it was a good answer or I should've said something more field-related.. but that was the main thing in my mind. Any thoughts? @Scumbag_Steve ? haha

thanks in advance everyone!
I think that's a great answer. My brother is a dentist and if I was asked the same question, I would have a similar response.