Worst interview answers/responses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My interviewer said "****" (the f word if it is censored) on 3 seperate occasions during my interview when telling stories, and also somehow got on the rant that "if trump came in for a root canal I'm not too sure I would do it but that's another topic we won't get into". He said something like that haha.

Just a super odd interview, but actually a very relaxed and one of my favorite.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
Yeah my interviewer said damn and some other words I can't remember. I was shocked but like hah cool at the same time LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I think NYU doesn't want anyone who is likely to have other options. Lol. My interview went great and I got waitlisted. Good lunch tho loll
This application cycle has been very competitive with all casual and great interviews AND being part of the waitlist. :eyebrow::eyebrow:

This application cycle has been very competitive with all casual and great interviews AND being part of the waitlist. :eyebrow::eyebrow:
Very true. Kind of annoying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was pretty sure that was why I was waitlisted. She was like if you get accepted to a cheaper school. Where will you go? Totally beated around the bush on that one.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I was pretty sure that was why I was waitlisted. She was like if you get accepted to a cheaper school. Where will you go? Totally beated around the bush on that one.
I would be Like... are you honestly dumb loll you and I both know where we'd go in that scenario. You just have to be BSing that one if you're in your right mind when you're at NYU and even they know it. *rolls eyes*

Reactions: 2 users
I would be Like... are you honestly dumb loll you and I both know where we'd go in that scenario. You just have to be BSing that one if you're in your right mind when you're at NYU and even they know it. *rolls eyes*
I kinda tried to BS without sounding like it. I said well, I will consider my interview experience, price, and all other factors and then make my decision.

I kinda tried to BS without sounding like it. I said well, I will consider my interview experience, price, and all other factors and then make my decision.

You should've responded:

"Ay, yo, its New York, fuhgeddabout it. Big Apple all the way! Home of the New York slice! You got the freakin' Yankees, you got the Subway, you got the Broadway, you got the rats to chill with when eat a New York slice, no competition!"

IMG_7668.JPG

Reactions: 9 users
I think this thread needs a revival! It's not an answer/response, but more like an embarrassing, awkward move.

This didn't happen during my interview, but rather before during the sit-down chats with the current D4s while us pre-dents were nervously waiting to be called for our individual interviews. There was a nice breakfast display going on, and I grabbed a grape cluster and put it on my plate. While I was mindlessly popping the grapes into my mouth one-by-one as I listened to the conversations at the table, without notice my hand reached for the entire grape stem and I fed it into my mouth ... Yeah, that didn't taste like a grape ... nor feel like a grape ... I then proceeded to spit it out as lady-like as possible discretely into a napkin and hoped to god no one noticed that I almost ate a twig ...

Shoulda downed it. If anybody would've seen you throw it in, it'd display dominance (even better if an interviewer saw)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You should've responded:

"Ay, yo, its New York, fuhgeddabout it. Big Apple all the way! Home of the New York slice! You got the freakin' Yankees, you got the Subway, you got the Broadway, you got the rats to chill with when eat a New York slice, no competition!"

View attachment 214201

Then throw in a "Deadass B" at the end

Reactions: 5 users
Last Year interview question

Interviewer: What would you do if you had 24 hours to live?
Me: I think I'd go hiking and be outside in nature.
Interviewer: You wouldn't spend time with your family and loved ones?
Me: Umm. Yeah, I guess I'd bring my brothers along...
(long pause)
I'm pretty sure my parents would just be depressing to be around in that scenario, so I'd stay away from them
Interviewer: stares at me in horror

..........rejected.

Reactions: 18 users
Interviewer: Nice to meet you
Me: You're welcome. (just thinking long and hard why I said this)

End of interview: Good luck!
Me: you too. (runs into the side of the door).

Result: accepted!

Reactions: 22 users
I was in a small group interview (4 interviewees, 2 interviewers). One interviewer was a current student and the other faculty.

The faculty member asked us one of those stupid interview questions, "There is a doughnut shop right down the street that our students love. If you were a doughnut, what kind would you be?"

At first everyone, including the student interviewer, just kind of stared at him blankly, then we started down the line answering.
First guy says he'd be a regular glazed doughnut because he's versatile and can become anything.
Second guy says he'd be doughnut holes because they seem pretty useless but they're really not and everybody loves them.
My answer was a powdered doughnut with cream on the inside because I'm different on the inside than I seem on the outside.
All fairly good answers, I thought.

Then the final interviewee said, "I'd be a doughnut with frosting and pink sprinkles because, well, I like pink sprinkles!"
:smack:

Reactions: 3 users
I was in a small group interview (4 interviewees, 2 interviewers). One interviewer was a current student and the other faculty.

The faculty member asked us one of those stupid interview questions, "There is a doughnut shop right down the street that our students love. If you were a doughnut, what kind would you be?"

At first everyone, including the student interviewer, just kind of stared at him blankly, then we started down the line answering.
First guy says he'd be a regular glazed doughnut because he's versatile and can become anything.
Second guy says he'd be doughnut holes because they seem pretty useless but they're really not and everybody loves them.
My answer was a powdered doughnut with cream on the inside because I'm different on the inside than I seem on the outside.

Then the final interviewee said, "I'd be a doughnut with frosting and pink sprinkles because, well, I like pink sprinkles!"
I feel like interview questions aren't meant to be answered in a smart manner but rather showing your personality. They know you are all smart, but being yourself is more important. I would just say I love any doughnuts with chocolate. Or maybe I would talk about dough doughnuts, they are so fluffy and delicious lol

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Lol that's a fun question. I don't think any answer is a bad one. The funny ones will be memorable IMO.

Interviewer: "How are you Jewish?"

Me: (inside what LOL is this allowed hahahha)

An interesting question, during my ASDOH interview, I was asked where I met the dentist I shadowed and worked for, and I told them I met him at a mosque. A minute later, I was asked, by the interviewer with a super straight face, " How does a terrorist view the world." AFter the interview was over, Initially, I was kinda mad that they asked this question and were grilling me throughout the entire interview, were other ppl walked out of the interview saying that all they talked about was sports.... IDC now that I'm accepted elsewhere, but ASDOH is a weird place tbh

So, my interviewer was going through my transcript and asking me about the classes I took then this happened:

Interviewer: I see that you took intro to public health. What made you want to take that?
(Me thinking her tone implied she thought it was a weird class): Well, I just took it to fulfill a university requirement.
Interviewer: ... I'm the head of the public health department here.
Me on the inside: -_-

Luckily I was able to save it by talking about epidemiology and how interesting it is lol.

My interviewer was an oral surgeon and the head of the oral surgery residency. He kept talking to me about how I would be better suited for med school than dental school because of my GPA, type of research, etc. I clearly expressed my interest in dental school over med school and he said "but dental school is so easy. I would say its easier than undergrad." I disagreed with him and explained that I know its a challenge but that I look forward to it. He said "But no one needs teeth. I once saw a guy eat an apple with only his gums." I didn't know what to say to that so I rattled on about the importance of teeth in preventing choking. He replied with "But I just told you about the guy who ate an apple without teeth and he didn't choke." At the end as we were walking out, he said "well if you don't get into dental school you can always apply to med school."
So probably not a good sign...

This was last cycle..

Interviewer: What role should a dentist have in the community.
Me: can I skip this question and return to it later.

:bang:

This was last cycle..

Interviewer: What role should a dentist have in the community.
Me: can I skip this question and return to it later.

:bang:

Oooouuuch. Was this preceded by a long pause or was it immediate?

Here's my worst answer:

Earlier in the day during the powerpoint presentation at the beginning of the interview, a faculty member was talking about how going to their school would make anyone an excellent clinician. I genuinely really THOUGHT he said that this school was the ONLY dental school that allowed you to actually place implants while you are a student. I kept this in my mind for my interview.

During the interview:

Interviewer: "So I'm certain you've read everything on our website prior to coming to the interview, correct?"
Me: *Nervously* "Yes"
Interviewer: "So why come to this school, apart from any reason that you find on our website?"
Me: "I think the opportunity to place dental implants as a student will prepare me immensely for private practice! My dad is a periodontist that places implants -
Interviewer: "I'M also a periodontist and places implants."
Me: "Oh, that's really awesome! (Continues answer that was cut off) My dad's a periodontist that places implants and I really think being able to learn while in dental school will give me an edge when competing for job prospects-
Interviewer: "Oh, well AT Still also lets you place implants."
Me: "Uh... Uh..... Well I didn't apply there."

Expecting a rejection come 12/1.

Here's my worst answer:

Earlier in the day during the powerpoint presentation at the beginning of the interview, a faculty member was talking about how going to their school would make anyone an excellent clinician. I genuinely really THOUGHT he said that this school was the ONLY dental school that allowed you to actually place implants while you are a student. I kept this in my mind for my interview.

During the interview:

Interviewer: "So I'm certain you've read everything on our website prior to coming to the interview, correct?"
Me: *Nervously* "Yes"
Interviewer: "So why come to this school, apart from any reason that you find on our website?"
Me: "I think the opportunity to place dental implants as a student will prepare me immensely for private practice! My dad is a periodontist that places implants -
Interviewer: "I'M also a periodontist and places implants."
Me: "Oh, that's really awesome! (Continues answer that was cut off) My dad's a periodontist that places implants and I really think being able to learn while in dental school will give me an edge when competing for job prospects-
Interviewer: "Oh, well AT Still also lets you place implants."
Me: "Uh... Uh..... Well I didn't apply there."

Expecting a rejection come 12/1.

What school was this? From the schools I've been interviewed at - and even asking some current D3/D4 students on the tour, those schools allow students to work on restoration of implants, not placing the actual implant itself.

What school was this? From the schools I've been interviewed at - and even asking some current D3/D4 students on the tour, those schools allow students to work on restoration of implants, not placing the actual implant itself.
Midwestern Arizona. And yeah, every other school I've been to/applied to said they only do implant restorations. On our tour we actually saw a D4 suturing & finishing up an implant placement under the watch of a periodontist in their clinics.

Midwestern Arizona. And yeah, every other school I've been to/applied to said they only do implant restorations. On our tour we actually saw a D4 suturing & finishing up an implant placement under the watch of a periodontist in their clinics.
IIRC, at my Louisville visit they said they're letting students place a couple now.

My interviewer was an oral surgeon and the head of the oral surgery residency. He kept talking to me about how I would be better suited for med school than dental school because of my GPA, type of research, etc. I clearly expressed my interest in dental school over med school and he said "but dental school is so easy. I would say its easier than undergrad." I disagreed with him and explained that I know its a challenge but that I look forward to it. He said "But no one needs teeth. I once saw a guy eat an apple with only his gums." I didn't know what to say to that so I rattled on about the importance of teeth in preventing choking. He replied with "But I just told you about the guy who ate an apple without teeth and he didn't choke." At the end as we were walking out, he said "well if you don't get into dental school you can always apply to med school."
I had a very similar experience, where my interviewer also played Devil's advocate lol, I think we were talking about the relationship between dentists and their patients and I was talking about how I appreciate that and he mentioned how dentists can't even talk to their patients because the patient can't talk since their mouth is open loool and yeah basically they had a rebuttal to every single point I made about why I wanted to pursue dentistry. I tried to stick to my guns though, and hope I didn't come across as argumentative, I think that was just their way of testing me? We'll find out December 1st what became of that experience lol best of luck to all of us

Let me contribute to this fun thread.

**Interviewer calls me and I follow him into his office**

Interviewer: Do you mind if I close the door?
Me: Yea, sure!
Interviewer: Oh, so can I not close my door?
Me: Wait, no you can...
**Silent pause**
Interviewer: Anyways, how are you today?

**Silent pause**

This is the kind of guy who uses words like “whom” and pronounces his “h” in “whatever”

Reactions: 2 users
here's one of many:

interviewer: what's your greatest weakness?
me: perfectionism..*gives a long prepared answer explaining why perfectionism is my weakness and how it also is my strength and such...*
interviewer: we all know dental school applicants are perfectionists. Is there any other weakness you'd like to share?
me: ....uh.........um.......*brain shuts down*......well......i can be lazy..... ha...ha..ha...
interviewer: oh
me: oh

Reactions: 11 users
here's one of many:

interviewer: what's your greatest weakness?
me: perfectionism..*gives a long prepared answer explaining why perfectionism is my weakness and how it also is my strength and such...*
interviewer: we all know dental school applicants are perfectionists. Is there any other weakness you'd like to share?
me: ....uh.........um.......*brain shuts down*......well......i can be lazy..... ha...ha..ha...
interviewer: oh
me: oh
Potentially the most used answer to this question

Was this at UDM?

Ran 15 minutes late for the interview day and missed the first welcoming presentation. Entire day ran smoothly until it was my turn to ask the interview any questions I had.

Me: So how does this school intend to prepare its students for the new changes to the boards and how confident are you in preparing the class of 2022?
Interviewer: **Lowers glasses** "I reviewed this in my welcoming presentation in the morning..." but begrudgingly starts quoting the slide he prepared addressing this question anyways to help me recall as if I were there.
Me: (FML) Oh.... Sorry. I was late and I didn't make it to that presentation.
Interviewer: **Deadpan face** No, you were there. All the seats were filled and I counted the interview group.
Me: (In my head: fudge is this a test????) UHHHH...Sorry, I definitely wasn't there, I was waiting outside and joined the group as they exited the room.
Interviewer: **Still deadpan face** mmmmm... okay

Ran 15 minutes late for the interview day and missed the first welcoming presentation. Entire day ran smoothly until it was my turn to ask the interview any questions I had.

Me: So how does this school intend to prepare its students for the new changes to the boards and how confident are you in preparing the class of 2022?
Interviewer: **Lowers glasses** "I reviewed this in my welcoming presentation in the morning..." but begrudgingly starts quoting the slide he prepared addressing this question anyways to help me recall as if I were there.
Me: (FML) Oh.... Sorry. I was late and I didn't make it to that presentation.
Interviewer: **Deadpan face** No, you were there. All the seats were filled and I counted the interview group.
Me: (In my head: fudge is this a test????) UHHHH...Sorry, I definitely wasn't there, I was waiting outside and joined the group as they exited the room.
Interviewer: **Still deadpan face** mmmmm... okay
double ouchhhhh

**Silent pause**

Just to add: two people interviewed me on this day, and for my second interview I somehow managed to spit out a visible ball of saliva onto the table while speaking.

...still accepted.

Reactions: 3 users
Bump this topic we need some new life in this thread

Here's my best one. I have to preface it: I had a friend from my undergrad going there who knew my interviewer really well, and the interview was open file. Plus, the interviewer was partially deaf, which he didn't inform me of.

Int: I see you played college football. Tell me about that.

Me: (Talking in a normal voice, I notice the interviewer lean across the table toward me and cup his hand up to his ear). It was a great experience, it was fun to work with everyone else, help make each other better...

Int: (Cuts me off mid-sentence) Son, you're going to have to speak up. I'm partially deaf.

Me: (Talking a little louder) Ok no problem...

Int: I still can't hear you. REALLY speak up!

Me: (Now almost yelling) Ok, how's this!?

Int: I can hear you now. So, we already have a college football player here at school, why do we need another one (you)?

Me: You need a backup in case the first one doesn't play well or gets injured.

Int: (Likes the response, nods in approval, this was the only sign of good/bad in the whole interview). Your friend ——— and me and a bunch of students play basketball each week. Would I dominate you in basketball like I dominate ———?

Me: No, I hold my own in hoops.

Int: (Begins 40 minutes of Q & A about ethics. I'll just put a few of them in here) So, it's the day before a big game, and you're out with your best receiver, who steals something from the store. What would you do?

Me: I would talk to him and let him know I think he should return whatever he stole. I would let him take care of it and be responsible himself.

Int: What if he wouldn't?

Me: Well then I'd probably talk to our coach and notify him of the situation.

Int: (Switches topics without taking a breath) You're in your first year of school. Everyone shares old tests. You get a test, but you notice the date on top of it is for next week. It's a copy of the actual test. What would you do?

Me: I would talk to the student who got a hold of the test and let them know they should talk to the professor about it.

Int: Is it your responsibility to find out who got it?

Me: Ummm, I guess not.

Int: What you should do is just let the teacher know there's an actual copy of the test out so they can change it.

Int: Question after question about dental ethics now. Asking stuff about what to do if I see dentists overdiagnosing, perform poor work, etc.

Me: (I have no idea. Finally this is what I say): I have no idea what I would do in that situation because I don't know enough about dentistry yet. What would you do?

Int: (Leans back in his chair like he's pretty surprised that I would ask him that question) Well, I would...(explains his point of view)

Int: Well, our time is up (after 45 mins). Do you have any questions for me?

Me: Yeah. What are you trying to get out of this interview? (I'm pretty rattled by now but tying not to show it).

Int: I'm trying to see whether or not you are willing to learn, and whether or not I could tolerate having you as a student.

Me: And?

Int: I think I could tolerate it (doesn't show any sort of expression).

I was 95% sure I would be rejected there. Dec. 1 rolled around and I was, but then a couple weeks ago I ended up getting accepted but turning it down.

Anyway I know it's long but that's my interview story.
What school is this?