Program-Specific Info / Q's Worried applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTdream09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to central Arkansas or alabama state? I'm curious about their programs because I know that they are not considered top programs. Also, does anyone know what the university of florida's admission statistics look like? Any help would be appreciated... I'm getting nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

UF does not directly release their stats, but I can tell you it's very competitive. UF is tied for 10th place in the country with UNC for best OT schools, and UNC does list their annual stats, so you can use their information as a guideline.
For the 2012 acceptance cycle, UNC's averages were:
GPA: 3.67
GRE: Quantitive- 59th percentile, Verbal- 71st percentile
Pre-req GPA: 3.8

I have applied to the UF MOT program this year, and have talked to the director (I will graduate with a degree in special education from UF in May), and she said that there about usually over 200 applicants for about 20-25 spots.

Side note: decision day for UF is usually in the last week of March or the first week of April- it's getting close! Good luck!

I'm kind of shocked they only have 200 applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too, actually. Looking at the forums, it looks like the number has been climbing every year. She said "over 200", so I don't really know how many that means.
UF pushes students to apply even if they don't have much of a chance, so that number could be low balling it to get more people to apply.

As far as I know, rankings are based on a proportion of applications received and spots won. Keep in mind that OT schools have notoriously unique admissions standards and could be looking for completely different qualities in their applicants. Some clues exist in the application itself: are there interviews? How many essays? Are there details about observation (required hours or settings)? Program philosophy? Etc...

Has anyone applied to central Arkansas or alabama state? I'm curious about their programs because I know that they are not considered top programs. Also, does anyone know what the university of florida's admission statistics look like? Any help would be appreciated... I'm getting nervous!

I've applied to Central Arkansas before and I am applying again this year. Do you have any questions? I did my undergrad there.

@rc6, what do you think their program will place a lot of emphasis on? And if you don't mind, I'd love to hear your stats! I'm thinking about applying next year and want to know if I'll be a competitive applicant. Thanks!

@FutureOTosu I'm not sure what their emphasis is, but you can look at their classes here. (http://uca.edu/ot/files/2013/08/Curriculum-Sequence-1.pdf)

The first time I applied I had around a 3.75 and made the first cut. This was before they changed their program. I did an interview and writing session, but wasn't accepted at the final cut. The year I did not apply, I was told that some with a 3.6 did not even make the first cut to get an interview. Their first cut is solely based on GPA and GRE score, so I find it very difficult. That being said, it might have changed a little since they changed their program. You can also look into their 30-hour rule they offer. I'm hoping for the best this year. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I've applied to Central Arkansas before and I am applying again this year. Do you have any questions? I did my undergrad there.
Is there any advice you can give me about applying to Central Arkansas??? I'm applying in July

@FutureOTosu I'm not sure what their emphasis is, but you can look at their classes here. (http://uca.edu/ot/files/2013/08/Curriculum-Sequence-1.pdf)

The first time I applied I had around a 3.75 and made the first cut. This was before they changed their program. I did an interview and writing session, but wasn't accepted at the final cut. The year I did not apply, I was told that some with a 3.6 did not even make the first cut to get an interview. Their first cut is solely based on GPA and GRE score, so I find it very difficult. That being said, it might have changed a little since they changed their program. You can also look into their 30-hour rule they offer. I'm hoping for the best this year. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Wow that's more competitive than I thought it would be! My gpa is only a 3.55 with a combined GRE score of 299 and a writing score of 4 so I'm just average. Do you know anything about their admissions since they've changed their program? Thanks for the help and best of luck to you!

@Makingmoves2014 Just what I said before.. really have solid stats to insure an interview. For the interview be prepared for any of the "normal" questions as well as be up to date on the current health care system. I was once asked what I thought about the future of OT given the current health care system. @OTdream09 I believe since last year (after they changed the program) that the stats for accepted weren't as high as normal. But with the first cut being just by stats I would try to be as prepared as possible in that area. It also depends on who all applies that year...sometimes it is high-averaged stats and sometimes it isn't. Best wishes!