General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational Therapy 2021-2022 cycle graduate school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same! Do you know if there’s a fb group? I have some housing questions but also, still deciding between WCU and St. Augustine’s
I actually don’t know I’ve been trying to see but let me know if you or someone else makes one!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The Hofstra interview was definitely not one of the warmest I have experienced. It was a group interview with different rounds of professors. They asked a morality question that definitely caught me off guard a little bit but it was all manageable. They also had the highest deposit required with limited time to put it down and not a guarantee that it would save your spot. I did not end up putting my deposit down with them.
What does that mean? If you were accepted and put a deposit down you still weren't guaranteed a spot there? Isn't that the whole point of a deposit? Wow thanks for all the information!!! How long was the interview 2 hours? What was the morality question? Just trying to prepare for all possible questions so i'm not too caught of guard:giggle: Thanks again!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergraduate university - FAU
Overall GPA- 3.4
Pre requisite GPA- 3.8
GRE- 150 verbal, 150 quant, 4 in writing
Letters - 2 OTS, 1 COTA, a director of nursing at a hospital and one employer
Observation hours- 20 hours pediatric home health, 20 hour geriatric , 30 hour rehab clinic
Volunteer/ work experience - working as a rehab aide , worked as a teachers aide , worked as a private tutor, worked as a restaurant manager
Certification- CPR/AED

Applied to- UF, Gannon, USASH, Barry, Jacksonville, Nova , Lincoln memorial, Shenandoah

Acceptances: LMU , Nova Southeastern, Barry, USAHS-Miami, Shenandoah

Attending: Most likely Barry university

Hello all! I wanted to reach out as I was heavily involved in all forums when I was in the application cycle and when I was interviewing as well. I am about to finish up my last didactic semester before going into my level two rotations (acute care and school based peds). That all being said, as I am finishing up, I wanted to make sure I could reach out and help anybody out that may need advice. I can be reached more directly through my instagram @otwithlexy so please feel free to DM me from there (just let me know you're from SDN) and I can answer all your questions. For some clarity, when I was applying, I was accepted to: Midwestern University, USC, Howard University, Samuel Merritt University, A.T Still University, UNLV, & Dominican University. Please use me as a resource and good luck to you all! You got this!!:giggle:

Did anyone go to the Jacksonville interview on 1/29? If so, have you heard back?

When doing a virtual interview did anyone have a notebook and jot down notes throughout the interview at all? Trying to prepare as best I can. If anyone has any advice or tips that would be great. Thank you!!

When doing a virtual interview did anyone have a notebook and jot down notes throughout the interview at all? Trying to prepare as best I can. If anyone has any advice or tips that would be great. Thank you!!
Personally, I prepared answers to common OT school interview questions before my interview and practiced those answers so I wouldn’t sound super scripted. During the interview I tried to connect/ build rapport with my interviewer so that they could get to know my personality. I didn’t really have time to jot down notes in my interviews. A tip I use for interviews is I try to pretend that I am speaking to an old friend so I don’t sound as robotic and nervous. Hope this helps

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All! Just curious, has anyone applied and been accepted to Western New England University's OTD program? I just received an acceptance and would to see if anyone else plans to attend!

I did not but I did send emails thanking after each

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a call from Puget Sound today but unfortunately missed the call as I was working. They didn’t leave a voicemail at all which I thought was kind of odd to not even say they will try me again or for me to give them a call back. I called back not too long after they called but nobody answered so I left them a voicemail. I’m assuming (and hoping) they are calling to tell me I got in! But now I have to wait through the weekend not knowing for sure. Hopefully I can connect with them on Monday.

Has anyone committed to Cedar Crest? Just committed there and would love to connect! Thank you!

Is anyone attending west coast university‘s MSOT program summer start date?
I was accepted for the summer start date! I’m still undecided but i did accept the spot!

Has anyone heard anything from Pacific University OTD in Hillsboro, OR? Or the University of Puget Sound?
I have an interview with Pacific University this week. They reached out to me at the beginning of February.

I was officially accepted to the University of Puget Sound today! I had missed the call from them on Friday and we played phone tag but was able to speak to them today. Yay!

I was officially accepted to the University of Puget Sound today! I had missed the call from them on Friday and we played phone tag but was able to speak to them today. Yay!
That's awesome! Congrats! Did they say when they'd be sending an official acceptance letter and more information? Last Friday when they called me they said it would be a couple of days and I thought they would've sent it by now.

Congrats! I am in the UPS program right now. I remember wanting more info before back before I started; if you have any questions about the program or what to prepare for feel free to dm me!

That's awesome! Congrats! Did they say when they'd be sending an official acceptance letter and more information? Last Friday when they called me they said it would be a couple of days and I thought they would've sent it by now.
They told me the official acceptance and financial aid and berthing would be on our admission portal this week. I thought it would be out by now too. I’m guessing probably on Friday.

Did anyone apply and get into Jacksonville University and planning on attending? Please reply! trying to start a groupme or groupchat of some sort! :)

Also, did anyone apply to St. Augustine (Miami), FIU or Gannon and hear back form them? I interviewed at Gannon but haven't heard back yet.

University: University of Tampa

Major: Allied Health, Concentration in occupational therapy sciences

Overall GPA: 3.3

Prereq GPA: depends on the school

GRE: Did not take

Letters of rec: 2 occupational therapists, 2 professors, and 1 club advisor

# of observation hours: 120 hours from 4 diff settings: pediatrics, geriatrics, & 2 hand therapy combined

Involvement: president and founder of club on campus, secretary of best buddies, apart of the PT/OT society, tpe peer mentor, fye peer mentor and had a job off campus

Applied: Rutgers, Tufts, OSU, Midwestern IL, UW-Madison, drakke, Chatham, Gannon (Ruskin) Yeshiva, Quinnipiac, USAHS-Miami
Interviews: UW-Madison, Drake, Chatham, Gannon (Ruskin, FL)
Acceptances: Yeshiva, Quinnipiac & USAHS Miami
Waitlists:
Rejections:
hey! when did you apply to USAHS-Miami and Gannon?I interviewed at Gannon but no response from them yet. Also, I applied to USAHS-Miami but haven't heard back yet. getting nervous haha

Did anyone apply to Jacksonville University or Florida International University ?
I got into Jacksonville but haven't heard anything back from FIU. really want to hear back from them. any updates from you?

I applied to Gannon, UF, Barry, Advent, and USA. I heard back from Barry, USA and Gannon. Still anxiously waiting for UF and Advent lol
Hey! I interviewed at Gannon, but no response from them yet. And still have not heard back from St. Augustine regarding my application. Do you remember when you applied to those schools? getting super anxious.

University: Boston University
Major: Behavior and Health
GPA: 3.51
Recs: 2 professors (both OTs), and 1 employer
Relevant Activities: Researcher, Personal Care Assistant, Shadowing, Volunteering, Au Pair

Applied: Boston University, MGH, Columbia, West Coast University, USC, USAHS-Miami, UF

Interviewed: Boston University, West Coast University, USC, USAHS

Accepted: West Coast University (MSOT Summer), USC (OTD Fall), University of St. Augustine (Miami)

Rejected: Boston University

Waiting to hear from all schools for financial options etc. before committing but leaning toward USC!! Any advice on how to decide? Anyone confirmed going to USC? Good luck to all!
Hey! congrats on your acceptances. I applied to St. Augustine Miami as well but havent heard anything yet. I sent my app thanksgiving break. When did you send yours in? getting anxiious

hey! when did you apply to USAHS-Miami and Gannon?I interviewed at Gannon but no response from them yet. Also, I applied to USAHS-Miami but haven't heard back yet. getting nervous haha
I applied back in august!

Just received an acceptance (via email) from UW!!!

Undergraduate university - UIC
Overall GPA- 3.59
Pre requisite GPA- 4.0
GRE- 161 verbal 149 quant 3.5 writing
Letters - 1 from work supervisor, 1 from a professor, and 1 from an OT I shadowed
Observation hours- 90 hrs peds, 8 hrs virtual
Volunteer/ work experience - Volunteered at a nursing home in India, tutored at my community center and work as a Team Trainer at a grocery store.

Applied: Midwestern IL, Lewis University, Elmhurst University, North Central, UIC, Rush, D'Youville, ISU
Interviews: Midwestern, Lewis University, Elmhurst University, North Central (declined), Rush (declined), ISU (declined)
Acceptances: Lewis University, Elmhurst University, D'Youville, UIC
Waitlisted: Midwestern

Attending: UIC

If anyone's going to attend UIC in the fall please reach out, I'd love to connect before the semester starts!

Update: Accepted to Midwestern (5/9) I guess they're still sending out acceptances.

Last edited:
Overall GPA- 3.67
Letters - 1 from an OT, 2 from work supervisors, 1 from a professor
Observation hours- 56 hrs in two pediatric settings, currently doing a 126 hour internship at a PT/OT clinic
Volunteer/work experience - Registered behavior technician, teacher’s assistant at a math academy, cashier at a grocery store, held a small position in my sorority, philanthropy events in my sorority, volunteer tutor, volunteer with children with disabilities

Applied: Kean, Seton Hall, Hofstra, Moravian, Pace, FDU (OTD)
Interviews: Kean, Hofstra, FDU
Acceptances: Hofstra
Waitlisted: Moravian

Still waiting to hear back from the other schools!

University: UC Irvine
Major: Public Health
Overall GPA: 2.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Did not take
Letters of rec: 2 OTs and a professor
Extracurricular: 1 year teaching assistant, Special Olympics, Adapted Kinesiology Program (aquatherapy)
Volunteer: (Total 300+ hours) 100+ Hand Rehab Clinic, 100+ Pediatric Clinic, 100 in Volunteer in School Setting

Applied: Stanbridge University, West Coast University, Keck Graduate Institute, USC, Loma Linda University
Interviews: Stanbridge University, West Coast University (MSOT), Loma Linda University (OTD), USC (phase II video), Keck Graduate Institute (OTD)
Acceptances: West Coast University, Stanbridge University, Loma Linda University (COMMITTED)
Waitlists: USC
Rejections:

If anyone is interested in what my interview/application process was like please feel free to msg me :)
Have you heard back from KECK Grad Institute?

Final Decision!

University: University of Michigan
Major: Movement Science (Minors: Education and Spanish)
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 160 Verbal, 163 Quant (323 Total) , 6.0 Writing
Letters of rec came from: supervisor at work, professor/research lab director, and OT mentor
Experience: Volunteer at Pediatric Play Facility, Internship at Adult Job Placement Facility, Nanny for child with Autism, Chemistry Tutor, Chemistry Tutoring Program Director, Worked in HIV/AIDs clinic for children in South Africa VP of Philanthropy and Chapter President for my sorority, 3 years in two research labs focused on childhood developmental health and motor skills in pediatric disabilities, Adaptive Sports summer intern, Registered Behavior Technician, participated in USC Summer OT immersion
Observation hours: 80 Peds, 20 Geriatric

Applied: Belmont, USC (California), Boston U, Tufts U, Wisconsin-Madison, Wash U St. Louis, Western Michigan
Interviews: Belmont (9/25), Wisconsin, Boston U (10/29), Wash U St. Louis (Oct), USC (12/13), Western Michigan (1/25 -turned down request)
Acceptances: Belmont (10/1), Boston (12/15), Wash U (12/16), Tufts (12/21), Wisconsin-Madison (early Jan), USC (1/20),
Waitlists/Rejections:
Attending: Tufts!

I just want to say for anyone who is worried about getting in, making a decision, or waiting for acceptances - stay positive, everything will work out! When you finally accept a program and are truly enrolled, it will all feel right and calm and most importantly - WORTH IT. Not everyone's journey is linear and not everything on paper is reality. Feel free to PM me on here at any time and at any point in the application process, I am happy to share all information I have and advice I can give from the past year.

Best of Luck! Cheers to being an OT!

I’m like 90% sure I’ll be attending summer too! Will you guys be commuting or moving out to LA?!
I’ll be commuting! it seems like it’s hybrid as of now and hopefully we won’t have to drive to campus everyday.