General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational Therapy 2021-2022 cycle graduate school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone apply to seton hall?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone attending Jacksonville in May? if you are please respond back! would love to connect

GPA: 3.3 ish
Prereq Gpa: unsure haha
Extra curricular: TPE peer mentor, First year experience peer mentor, childcare attendant at a country club, secretary of best buddies, began a club for mental health and loneliness on campus, member of OT/PT society, 125 observation hours from 4 diff locations (pediatrics, 2 hand therapy, and OT/PT outpatient clinic) and 5 rec letters (2 OTs, 2 professors, and advisor of the club I began).

Applied: too many places 😂😂

Interviews: Jacksonville University, Chatham, UW-Madison, Midwestern-IL (rejected the interview I was offered)

Acceptances: Quinnipiac, Yeshiva University, USAHS-Miami, NSU Ft Lauderdale, Gannon U -Ruskin

Waitlists: Tufts

Rejections: WUSTL, Chatham, OSU

Attending: Nova Southeastern, Fort Lauderdale!

Don’t give up! Be positive :) My GPA was not too high but I got a handful of interviews and acceptances!!

Last edited:
University: Northeastern University
Major: Health Science (minor in psych)
Overall GPA: 3.69
Pre-Req GPA: around a 3.95 (depends on school pre-reqs)
GRE: 153 Verbal, 152 Quant, 4.0 Writing
Letters of rec came from: 1 OT ped special needs school (i worked with), 1 OT nursing home (i worked with), and a professor i had 2x

Experience: high school: spent 6 months interning with an OT in an elementary school (on my resume but didnt include in my experiences on OTCAS), college: did 2 co-ops (full time work positions instead of classes for 6 months). one was at the perkins school for the blind in their deafblind program as a therapy aide. my second co-op was also as a therapy aide at a nursing home. D1 varsity swimming and diving- i was a diver. I also worked heavily with a special olympics swimmer to connect with my team. I have experience as a summer camp counselor and i was re-hired at Perkins as a teaching assistant after my co-op there ended. I worked there all throughout my 5th year of college and full time the summer before my 5th year.

caveat: my application was very very clear in my interest in working with special needs children and especially in the subfield of sensory integration

Observation hours: ~900 in special needs school, over 900 in the nursing home

Applied: BU, Tufts, Ohio State, Midwestern (IL), MUSC, Pitt, USC, Duke
Interviews: BU, Midwestern (withdrew), USC, Duke
Acceptances: USC, Duke
Waitlists/Rejections: waitlisted at Pitt, rejected: BU, tufts, OSU, MUSC
Attending: USC!

congrats everyone! feel free to dm me with questions about the experience!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you heard back from KECK Grad Institute?
Hi! Did you apply to KGI? If so, have you heard back? I was admitted and reserved my seat so I’m looking to connect with people in the cohort.

Hi! Did you apply to KGI? If so, have you heard back? I was admitted and reserved my seat so I’m looking to connect with people in the cohort.
Hey, I did apply but I wasn't accepted 🥺.

Did anyone else apply to Winston Salem State University? I was notified on Monday that I was placed on the waitlist. Wondering if anyone else has heard back or has a general timeline for getting off a waitlist. WSSU is my top choice so I'm pretty bummed. I got into all the other programs I applied to so I can still go in the fall but really wanted it to be Winston Salem.

Hi all! Is anyone attending Ithaca College in May? I just got accepted off the waitlist and I can't believe it's starting so soon. Would love to connect with others

University: Cal Poly Pomona
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Did not take
Letters of rec: 2 OTs and a professor
Extracurricular: Teaching assistant, Kinesiology Club, Ernest Prete Fellowship Program, research assistant
Volunteer: (Total 200+ hours) Pediatric Occupational Clinic

Applied: Stanbridge University, West Coast University, Keck Graduate Institute, USC, Loma Linda University
Interviews: Stanbridge University, Loma Linda University
Acceptances: Stanbridge University
Waitlists:
Rejections:
Congrats on your acceptance to Stanbridge! I'm currently applying to West Coast University Spring 2023. Is there any pointers you have for preparation for WCU interview process? I know that the admissions rank students mostly from their GPA and other factors. If so, should I prioritize getting a letter of recommendation from a professor, as opposed to an employer? It's been 3 years since I graduated with my undergrad, so I feel uncomfortable asking a letter from my professor. I was thinking of asking my assistant manager. The only issue is that my former employer is fitness-related.

Hey everyone! Just some hope for my low gpa applicants! I took a couple classes at community college before going to a four year college; I didn’t do that well at all at community college but I got my act together and was able to have a stellar gpa during junior and my senior year. Unfortunately OTCAS does look at everything but that doesn’t mean you can’t get in if you don’t show progress!

Major: HealthCare Studies
Over GPA: 2.4
Prerequisites: 2.8
Last 60: 3.7
No GRE scores
Patient care hours/ Volunteer: 2000 hours
Taught a suturing workshop

Applied to 6 schools: Howard, Yeshiva, Cedar Crest, Usciences, Rutgers, and Pacific U

Rejected: Usciences, Rutgers

Accepted: Cedar Crest, Howard, Yeshiva

Waitlisted: Pacific U

Moral of the story: apply to smaller schools, get more hours and ways that you stick out the school. Apply to the schools that take last 60 credits and are holistic in their application process. I took a chance and now I have choices when I didn’t think I would be going anywhere! Don’t give up you got this!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Just some hope for my low gpa applicants! I took a couple classes at community college before going to a four year college; I didn’t do that well at all at community college but I got my act together and was able to have a stellar gpa during junior and my senior year. Unfortunately OTCAS does look at everything but that doesn’t mean you can’t get in if you don’t show progress!

No GRE scores

Applied to 6 schools: Howard, Yeshiva, Cedar Crest, Usciences, Rutgers, and Pacific U

Moral of the story: apply to smaller schools, get more hours and ways that you stick out the school. Apply to the schools that take last 60 credits and are holistic in their application process. I took a chance and now I have choices when I didn’t think I would be going anywhere! Don’t give up you got this!
When did you hear back from Howard?

No GRE scores

When did you get your decision from Rutgers? And was it through email?

Is anyone attending the admitted students event at BU this Friday? (2/25)

University: Rutgers University
Major: Exercise Science
Minor: N/A
Overall GPA: 2.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: N/A
Observation Hours: 120 in outpatient hand therapy
Letters of rec came from an OT, a professor, and the PT director I've worked with for three years

Applied: University of the Sciences MOT, Quinnipiac University OTD, Thomas Jefferson University OTD, Monmouth University OTD, Pace University MOT, Howard University OTD, Delaware State University MOT
Interviews: Quinnipiac University, Howard University
Acceptances: University of the Sciences, Quinnipiac University, Howard University
Waitlists:
Rejections:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Thomas Jefferson, Monmouth, Pace, and DESU. I'm heavily leaning towards USciences, but if I get accepted to TJU that would also be up for consideration!

Last edited:
University: Rutger University
Letters of rec came from an OT, a professor, and the PT director I've worked with for three years

Applied: University of the Sciences MOT, Quinnipiac University OTD, Thomas Jefferson University OTD, Monmouth University OTD, Pace University MOT, Howard University OTD, Delaware State University
Acceptances: University of the Sciences, Quinnipiac University, Howard University
Waitlists:
Rejections:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Thomas Jefferson, Monmouth, Pace, and DESU. I'm heavily leaning towards USciences, but if I get accepted to TJU that would also be up for consideration

Applied: University of the Sciences MOT, Quinnipiac University OTD, Thomas Jefferson University OTD, Monmouth University OTD, Pace University MOT, Howard University OTD, Delaware State University
Waitlists:
Rejections:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Thomas Jefferson, Monmouth, Pace, and DESU. I'm heavily leaning towards USciences, but if I get accepted to TJU that would also be up for consideration!

Waitlists:
Rejections:

Waitlists:
Rejections:

How long did it take you to get an interview from Howard? When were you accepted and when did you apply?

How long did it take you to get an interview from Howard? When were you accepted and when did you apply?
Hi! I applied 3/15, received an email to schedule my interview 3/27, interviewed 3/30, and received my acceptance 4/3.

I’m still waiting to hear from seton hall. I applied on December 1st. Anyone have any idea when I should hear by? I’m dying waiting!

Hi! I applied 3/15, received an email to schedule my interview 3/27, interviewed 3/30, and received my acceptance 4/3.
I haven’t heard from them and I applied around the same time that you did.

I haven’t heard from them and I applied around the same time that you did.
Maybe try to email them? They sent my interview confirmation with the Zoom link to the wrong email address, which pushed my interview back an hour later, so maybe the same thing happened? Not sure!

I’m still waiting to hear from seton hall. I applied on December 1st. Anyone have any idea when I should hear by? I’m dying waiting!
I heard back from them on 3/10. I’m just waiting on Kean now. Wishing you luck!

Maybe try to email them? They sent my interview confirmation with the Zoom link to the wrong email address, which pushed my interview back an hour later, so maybe the same thing happened? Not sure!
I saw that you’re waiting for Desu. I was accepted there and will more than likely be attending.

I saw that you’re waiting for Desu. I was accepted there and will more than likely be attending.
That's great! It's quickly becoming my top choice, so I will definitely come back and let you know once I get my decision!