Women's Studies and other questions?

schrodingersdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, I'm in the correct forum!
I'm about to graduate high school a few years early through a non-traditional program. Although I chose to take said route due to extrinsic factors, namely family-related interruptions to my secondary schooling, the options for immediate post-secondary education are very limited. Therefore, I will most-likely begin pursuing my Associate's/Bachelor's at my local junior college. I'm aware that this initially may appear as a red flag to medical schools, and am wondering if there are any steps I may take to ensure that it will not inhibit my medical school prospects or eventual admission.
Also, I would love to pursue a degree in the field of women's studies. However, I've noticed A LOT of stigma surrounding women's studies degrees. My pride isn't at stake, as it's an area of study where many of my passions and interests lie, and it hopefully goes without saying that I'd be pleased to hold such a degree. However, if the case is that med schools or employers would view it with similar scorn, I would be willing to reconsider.
That pretty much sums it up!

Members don't see this ad.

The only real "scorn" the degree faces is that it's functionally useless on it's own. It's used as a punchline to kids with bachelors degrees who are mad they don't make $100k/yr.

For the goals of applying to med school, degree major is irrelevant. Do what you like as long as you get good grades.

But, life advice here, most people who start as premeds don't end up in med school. I know that you will immediately think you are the exception but you might want to consider a degree that functions better as a backup plan.

Reactions: 1 user