Pharmaceuticals vs Chemical Engineering and other stuff

N_____710

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Posted this thread so that people in these fields could help me decide on a career choice. Obviously, this isn’t the deciding factor but it will help me out with my decision.

First some background:
I am currently in 12th grade. I live in Israel, where there is a mandatory army service of 32 months. The army offers a special program where they pay for your BS (3-4 years) and then you work for them for those 32 months (regular army service). During that time, I won’t necessarily be applying my degree. After that, I am required to sign a contract for another 3 years in the army, as an officer, and I receive a high salary. I would be applying my degree then. I can also do a MBS during my army service.

First of all: Should I go into that program or do my regular army service and then go to college. I’m looking at 3 years vs 9 years in the army. I could continue in the army afterwards but I’ve been told that it isn’t worth it.

Secondly: For this program, I choose what I want to study. I like Chemistry, Physics, and Computers.

I’m really interested in Pharmaceuticals but I would most likely end up doing work as a Pharmacists which doesn’t appeal to me as much. Here, in Israel, there really aren’t any research/drug inventing job options. What other applications are there in the Pharmaceuticals/ Pharmacology field?

I could study Chemical Engineering. I don’t know what I could do with it though. Again, what applications are there?

Lastly, I could study Engineering. I don’t know what kind of Engineering field would interest me. Probably something that also involves Computers.

Another thing to consider is that salary. How much does each of these fields make? Money isn’t the deciding factor but it is an important one.

Thank you for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.