why does BU get so many applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddalgi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was informed recently that BU school of medicine receives 11k+ applications (along with GW and Albany). Why does BU get so many applications? It's rank is 34 meaning it really isn't a "safety" school (not that such things exist for medical schools). THoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Schools that take a lot of oos apps such as private schools and some public schools and schools that tend to take apps with lower to mid range mcat scores (30-33) get the most applications. Then add in location such as boston, ny, chicago and you get your answer.

Last edited:
BU just exists at the intersection where students doing okay (27-30) think they have a shot applying to as a reach school, where students doing average (31-35) think they have a shot applying to as a match school, and where students doing better (36+) apply to as a safety. Also, its location in Boston also helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude how many threads on BU are you going to make?

HaunP.gif

seriously though, i think bu is a good school so thats why it gets so many apps each year.

i was informed recently that BU school of medicine receives 11k+ applications (along with GW and Albany). Why does BU get so many applications? It's rank is 34 meaning it really isn't a "safety" school (not that such things exist for medical schools). THoughts?

I'm not sure, but strawberries are tasty =D

BU just exists at the intersection where students doing okay (27-30) think they have a shot applying to as a reach school, where students doing average (31-35) think they have a shot applying to as a match school, and where students doing better (36+) apply to as a safety. Also, its location in Boston also helps.

I go to BU, it is awesome, but this is why it has such a high number of applicants.

So whatever happened to the Craigslist Killer from BU med school - did he match???

I think mostly their reputation for good lunches is what leads to a higher numbers of applications.

Agree with Guju Doc.

1. BU is in Boston, 'nuff said
2. BU is a middle-tier school so people high and low apply
3. BU has a good hospital associated with it so its a good school to go to if you want to match there

Very similar to reasons why Georgetown and George Washington get so many applications. They are both OK and located in DC. Even though they are both heavily underfunded in terms of their medical school and the Georgetown Hospital is not doing so hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.