Who is going to Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm heading out to Cleveland this Friday to do the final walk through on my house. I'm really excited to see where I'm going to be living for the next four years again. It's been almost a year since I've been out to Cleveland. I'm going to also pop into the school on Friday just to have a look around and to talk to Barbara. I'm getting really excited to get things rolling. In just six weeks I'll be heading to Cleveland for good...and quiting my stupid job!

Members don't see this ad.

Now that I've completed all my exams...First semester is definitely the most hectic of the two. You are basically in school 8-5 everyday unless you tend to selectively skip a class or few. The combination of dental anatomy, biochem, histology, gross anatomy in the first semester is definitely a challenge, but for them to condense the gross anatomy course into just one semester is insane. You just have to keep up with the studying and going to the gross lab or else you will not know what structure is what when you see one and that can be discouraging. DentSim is like a brief relieve to your first semester stress as you can hack all the teeth you want! But our class have given bad reviews about the machine as the drill handle is much to big and heavy, as well as they have still not been able to resolve the software issue, which combined to produce a negative feedback about the DentSim course from our class. However, light is at the end of the tunnel when you get to Thanksgiving as that is when your exams are completed and after Thanksgiving all you do is 2 weeks of sealants (so basically including Christmas break, you will have more than 1 month of no studying! Although it will be hard to start back up again in Jan as many of my friend and I have experienced). Sealant program is a great prelude to your clinical experience as you will have more confident to start off treating kids than real adults and it will be the first time to treat live patients and you will have to get use indirect vision and small mouths. This way, when you start doing prophies in 2nd semester with adults, you will have more confident as you will have some experience already. During this 2 weeks you will be able to relax and joke with the kids and do a lot of crazy stuff....well, to be precise, many interesting incidents that you will be able to laugh at!

If you do survive the first semester, second semester is a breeze...there are significantly much more free time, at least 1 or 2 hrs of free time in between classes each day and usually you will only stay on school until 3 pm everyday. The courses are a lot easier too and you will start getting into the fun stuff....clinical work! You will first start off with doing provisionals in BP Fixed and also, you will finally start treating real patients in mid semester on prophies. I know a lot of schools don't start their actual prophies until second year so having Case do this is a bonus. I have done about 10 prophies in just the 1/2 semester alone that I am comfortable in doing it at anytime. Also, if you are eager clinic person like me, if you have fulfilled your 1st year requirements early (3 prophies), the rest of the prophies can be transferred to your 2nd year requirements (12 prophies). Right now I have already finished 1/2 of my 2nd year requirements (you can only get this much if you also work extra on your free time). I guess 2nd semester will be basically time to relax and recover for 2nd year cause this will be the hardest year, as you will have many tough courses to deal with and many clinical projects to fulfill!

But either way, your 1st year will past by very quickly! I can't believe that I have finished my 1st year already so don't worry....you all will do fine. Hopefully, I will have the pleasure of bumping into some of you next year!

I guess this is basically 1st year....and I have to say, I did met a lot of great friends and even professors as well! So for those who might feel lonely as start, don't worry, it won't last long!

DDS2BE said:
hey musketeer, are you finished with your D1 yet? Would you mind sharing what it was like throughout the first year at Case d-school and what you would have done different or wish you would have known. Sorry for throwing so many questions at ya buddy :) , but you have been very helpful for many of us.

Cheers

If you are thinking of checking out the clinics and simlab, I guess you will come at a bad time cause from Friday-Sun, the 4th years will be doing their Western Boards so these areas (and I think the Westlab as well), will become restricted areas. Sorry!

vasco said:
I'm heading out to Cleveland this Friday to do the final walk through on my house. I'm really excited to see where I'm going to be living for the next four years again. It's been almost a year since I've been out to Cleveland. I'm going to also pop into the school on Friday just to have a look around and to talk to Barbara. I'm getting really excited to get things rolling. In just six weeks I'll be heading to Cleveland for good...and quiting my stupid job!

Members don't see this ad :)
The Musketeer said:
If you are thinking of checking out the clinics and simlab, I guess you will come at a bad time cause from Friday-Sun, the 4th years will be doing their Western Boards so these areas (and I think the Westlab as well), will become restricted areas. Sorry!

Thanks for the heads up. Congrats on completing your first year!

The Musketeer said:
If you do survive the first semester, second semester is a breeze...there are significantly much more free time, at least 1 or 2 hrs of free time in between classes each day and usually you will only stay on school until 3 pm everyday. !

Well said, Musketeer! Unlike you, I breezed through 1st semester without any hitch. Second semester really killed me. It wasn't the labworks, clinic ... I loved them all. It was just neurobiology terrorizing me. It'd got into my nerves and affected most of my other classes. But anyway, I'm glad it's all over. :love: :love:

Musketeer and HuyetKiem, congratulations both of you and every current Case student reading this thread! Finally, your hard job is partially paid off and you can relax a couple of months... or not? What are you plans for this summer? (work, research, Cancun, going back home)

Speaking of summer plans… Musketeer, keep in mind, there will be a bunch of D1’s people moving in to Cleveland that you’ve promised to help with unloading :) … remember?! Ok, just teasing you ;) :p :D

I will be researching in the endo department all summer as you might have known. And as for assisting with moving...I've already started that as I helped out a couple of buddies at the Delt house moving out and I have an appointment with Mr. Wu next week.

Ya, feel free to contact me if anyone need a hand in unloading, it will save me a day of going to the gym!

DDS2BE said:
Musketeer and HuyetKiem, congratulations both of you and every current Case student reading this thread! Finally, your hard job is partially paid off and you can relax a couple of months... or not? What are you plans for this summer? (work, research, Cancun, going back home)

Speaking of summer plans… Musketeer, keep in mind, there will be a bunch of D1’s people moving in to Cleveland that you’ve promised to help with unloading :) … remember?! Ok, just teasing you ;) :p :D

Hi, Everyone. I'll be in class of 2009 also. It is nice to see so many
my future classmates and upper class students here.
I am looking for an one-bedroom apartment within walking distance
to dental school. I read the housing information package from Brian Sheriman,
but most of the apartments there are just two far away.
So I found the following:
http://www.case.edu/finadmin/planop/propmgmt/housing.htm
They seem to be owned by Case and the rents are not too bad
to me. Anybody can comment these apartments?

Also, I was told that they also have some apartments on
2266 Murray Hill and 11426 Fairchild (which are not listed in the webpage)
I appreciate your comments to these apartments too.

Thanks!

Is there anyone here that has recently, or will soon decline their offer?

;)

The Musketeer said:
Welcome to the Delt house! I will be living at the house again next year so I will see you around when you move in. As of now, there will be another 1st year female student moving in so you will have some company.

Since we are grad students and living in a fraternity house, we do not get Case meal plan. However, there are several cafeteria close to dental school, ie: BRB, and the hospital cafe that is open 24/7. The cost is reasonable as well as the food. There are also Rascal House Pizza, Quiznos, McDonalds just 5 min from the house and also many restaurants in Little Italy about 10 min walk from the delt house.

Who is the contact at Delta House? I would like to know if any rooms are available. Please give phone number or email.
Thanks

The house manager for the Delt house is John Bogle and there are still rooms available. I will PM you his number. Just want to inform you that the rent will be $300/mnth all inclusive - an this includes maid service at the house.

tvandds said:
Who is the contact at Delta House? I would like to know if any rooms are available. Please give phone number or email.
Thanks

fruity_trident said:
Is there anyone here that has recently, or will soon decline their offer?

;)

Is there any chance that 20 people will decline their offer? :laugh: ...Worth a shot I guess :oops:

Good luck to all Case dental students!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wazzup ppl?! Did anyone get Case Verification Form yet? I got a thick envelope from Case yesterday and one of the letters states that $9,280 must be paid by July 1st. I am still not sure where I stand in terms of financial aid and Case school is already asking for money :confused:

Anyone?

DDS2BE said:
Wazzup ppl?! Did anyone get Case Verification Form yet? I got a thick envelope from Case yesterday and one of the letters states that $9,280 must be paid by July 1st. I am still not sure where I stand in terms of financial aid and Case school is already asking for money :confused:

Anyone?

I like the thick envelopes. But I'm not sure what to make of the threats--if you screw up, you lose your place in the class, or, if you screw up, you have to buy your kit and loupes yourself.

I don't know what my financial aid situation is yet either. I was planning on checking the box on the yellow sheet that says "I applied for aid through case and don't know anything yet." I hope that's good enough because i sure can't cough up 10k by july first.

mojoe said:
I like the thick envelopes. But I'm not sure what to make of the threats--if you screw up, you lose your place in the class, or, if you screw up, you have to buy your kit and loupes yourself.

I don't know what my financial aid situation is yet either. I was planning on checking the box on the yellow sheet that says "I applied for aid through case and don't know anything yet." I hope that's good enough because i sure can't cough up 10k by july first.

Here is the update, I spoke to Barbara and she says she will let everyone know soon where we stand in terms of financial aid. She says we have plenty of time to have everything done by July 1st, which is very comforting :). Stay tuned.

bty, the freshman kit is close to $10k plus add another $750-$900 for the loops, which makes it a bit over $20,000 to collect before orientation :eek:

Hey guys, I was just wondering, how much teeth has everyone collected?

I don't think we need any. But I do have all 32 in my mouth :)

grinningrice said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering, how much teeth has everyone collected?

You will not need to collect any teeth in 1st year, however, I am yet to find out if you will have to collect any teeth for endo in the 2nd year.

The Musketeer said:
You will not need to collect any teeth in 1st year, however, I am yet to find out if you will have to collect any teeth for endo in the 2nd year.
ic, thanks alot DDS2BE and The Musketeer.

Another question, I was wondering, are we suppose to be CPR certified before we enter D1?

grinningrice said:
Another question, I was wondering, are we suppose to be CPR certified before we enter D1?

No, you don't. You will get CPR training in your Outreach Preventative Dentistry course before you get on to do sealants. However, if you do have CPR certified already, then you can miss about 3 hrs of class.

Hi everybody,
I was just curious to see if there're any 2009 students here, I'm Fiona, from Montreal/Canada and would like to get to know some ppl in my class before starting school.... :cool:

grinningrice said:
Thanks! I talked to John and he told me that there was going to be 3 other first years, one that was female. I am really excited to live in the house, it seems like it is going to be alot of fun. Just curious, do alot of people cook in the house? I love to cook, but I hear its a little bit of a hassle.
hey there
I guess we'll meet pretty soon :) I'm the other first year girl at the house....

lilia said:
hey there
I guess we'll meet pretty soon :) I'm the other first year girl at the house....
Hey! THat is so cool, I look forward to meeting you too. If you have aim, you should im me at grinningrice. A bunch of us plan on getting together some time before class to get to know eachother better. :)

grinningrice said:
Hey! THat is so cool, I look forward to meeting you too. If you have aim, you should im me at grinningrice. A bunch of us plan on getting together some time before class to get to know eachother better. :)
No.... I don't have aim, but if you have Y! messenger, IM me at everlastingsun. I like that idea of getting together, when are you moving? I should be there around mid to 18 July :)

I suggest that you should start getting AIM as a mode of communication between your classmates, cause I soon found out in class that Americans use AIM and when I told them that I use MSN messenger they were like, 'what is that'??? :confused: Pretty soon, I was forced into joining AIM cause none of the other people want to use anything other than AIM.

lilia said:
No.... I don't have aim, but if you have Y! messenger, IM me at everlastingsun. I like that idea of getting together, when are you moving? I should be there around mid to 18 July :)

The Musketeer said:
I suggest that you should start getting AIM as a mode of communication between your classmates, cause I soon found out in class that Americans use AIM and when I told them that I use MSN messenger they were like, 'what is that'??? :confused: Pretty soon, I was forced into joining AIM cause none of the other people want to use anything other than AIM.
Oh, wow, thanx for letting me know.... I'll sign up :D

Hi Fiona, welcome to SDN and our 2009 class!

I guess, I'm gonna have to sign up for AIM too :oops: as I've been using Yahoo, MSN and ICQ my entire life, adding a 4th messenger won't be a problem :D.

I just moved to Cleveland a few weeks ago. If anyone is interested in hang out before school starts, you can pm me. Hope all everyone's move goes smoothly. ;-0 Look forward to meeting some of you.

I just signed lease on a spacious 1300 sq.ft. apt on Derbyshire, right next to Giliants and StarBucks :cool: and will be moving in on May 27. Let me know if anyone lives or going to live in that area.

DDS2BE said:
I just signed lease on a spacious 1300 sq.ft. apt on Derbyshire, right next to Giliants and StarBucks :cool: and will be moving in on May 27. Let me know if anyone lives or going to live in that area.
Just curious, how much will you be paying for that apartment (and is it 1 bedroom or studio?).

Thanks

The Candidate said:
Just curious, how much will you be paying for that apartment (and is it 1 bedroom or studio?).

Thanks

The rent is $1000 per month water included. It is a two bedroom apt with separtate living and dining rooms and a room for office.

I decided to follow Musketeer’s advice and just created AIM account. You can find my screen name by clicking on the AIM icon under my avatar.

i got accepted to NYU :clap: ...i really can't wait for Case to say Yay or Nay to me...i wish i could make an unbiased decision, but i can't :(

for those waiting on Case...goodluck. i removed myself from the alternate list (i was on the top 1/3rd of the list).

i also removed myself from EVERY other list...so GOODLUCK to everyone on them!

congrats to getting in, I was sure looking forward to working with you at case, but I understand and goodluck. :)

wammmy said:
congrats to getting in, I was sure looking forward to working with you at case, but I understand and goodluck. :)

thanks so much!
who knows, maybe we'll meet some day...for a different an extra yr..to visit, whatever..:D

Ya, congrats! I am sure you will enjoy your time in the Big Apple!

fruity_trident said:
thanks so much!
who knows, maybe we'll meet some day...for a different an extra yr..to visit, whatever..:D

fruity_trident said:
thanks so much!
I am so glad you got in!!!! Congrats girl!
BTW, Do u know this guy named Tanvir Singh? He is my friend from Purdue, he says he knows you.

When do Case students take NBDE part I?

eric275 said:
When do Case students take NBDE part I?

They take it the summer of their second year. However, I just talked to an upcoming second year student who said that their class is petitioning to take the NBDE part 1 in december. He said that he was pretty sure that they would be able to.

vasco said:
They take it the summer of their second year. However, I just talked to an upcoming second year student who said that their class is petitioning to take the NBDE part 1 in december. He said that he was pretty sure that they would be able to.

If NBDE part 1 examination covers the first two years of dental school then why would one want to take it by the end of his/her first year of school? :confused:

grinningrice said:
I am so glad you got in!!!! Congrats girl!
BTW, Do u know this guy named Tanvir Singh? He is my friend from Purdue, he says he knows you.

of course he's my BOY!!! i've known him since grade school.
if u search my old posts, i'm sure i've mentioned i've got a good friend @ purdue in Engineering ;)

again, thanks for the congrats everyone!

is this blue Case's color? i realized everyone's signature is that color.

:D

Many people in my year will be taking it this Decemeber/January on computer instead of written exam the following July is because there is news given by the dean that the format of part 1 of boards will be changed to a 'Case-Study' format. This change is suppose to become effective sometime between Jan-summer of 06 (before the July 06 exam). Since Case has not introduced us to 'Case-Based' learning, our class feel that we will be at a disadvantage doing the 'Case-Based' exam, as well, we will not be able to utilize all the past exams and Dental Decks for the new format cause they are all in the old format. Because of these reasons, most of us are scrambling to take the exam before they implement this new format. The school has also responded to our situation by scheduling the 1st term of second year to conclude an extra week earlier than normal so that we may have as much time to study for the exam as possible for those who are taking the Dec/Jan exam.

The reason why Case normal take it after 2nd year is that we will not be able to complete Micro/Pathol course until the spring of 2nd year and the school feels that we need to complete this course in order to write part 1 of the exam. However, since the introduction of online testing, a couple of students have been taking it in Dec/Jan of the 2nd year and majority of us will also be taking it at this time as well, so I am sure the school will continue to allow students to take in either in Dec/Jan or July of the following year. If you do take it in Dec/Jan, the school will basically give a 'Crash-Course' on Micro/Pathol so that you will have enough information to do well in that section of the exam.

Here is some information:

Review of Part 1: The Joint Commission suggested that National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Part I should be comprehensive and eliminate the four current subject sections. A “Key feature item (KF)” approach for NBDE Part I is being considered. KF items have a format between testlet and case history. These require more understanding and application than recall. This is the direction being considered for NBDE Part I.

DDS2BE said:
If NBDE part 1 examination covers the first two years of dental school then why would one want to take it by the end of his/her first year of school? :confused:

Yup! The logo is Royal Blue, Gray and White.

fruity_trident said:
is this blue Case's color? i realized everyone's signature is that color.

:D

The square with the lines through it...does anyone know what it is? I've been wondering for a while. I think it kinda looks like a basketball or a globe with a confused latitude line.

So a friend of mine (avid "American Idol" watcher) heard that I'm moving to Cleveland and told me that one of the finalists is from there. So I was thinking that we should send him an invitation to sing at our white coat ceremony :laugh: :laugh:

mojoe said:
The square with the lines through it...does anyone know what it is? I've been wondering for a while. I think it kinda looks like a basketball or a globe with a confused latitude line.

It's a fat guy holding a surf board