Who is going to Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
vasco said:
So a friend of mine (avid "American Idol" watcher) heard that I'm moving to Cleveland and told me that one of the finalists is from there. So I was thinking that we should send him an invitation to sing at our white coat ceremony :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, his name is Scott Savol and he was in the top 6. btw, he was at Champs in Independence 2 weeks ago and one of my co-workers got to see 'em.

don't get me wrong :) , I know this from one of my co-workers who is all into this show.

Members don't see this ad.

vasco said:
So a friend of mine (avid "American Idol" watcher) heard that I'm moving to Cleveland and told me that one of the finalists is from there. So I was thinking that we should send him an invitation to sing at our white coat ceremony :laugh: :laugh:
he is from my high school too :laugh: :laugh:

yay american idol.

haha i don't watch it.

just that mo' rice and somethign underdog :laugh: :laugh: made it to the cover of every newspaper..LOL! j/k

Members don't see this ad :)
jjw1983 said:
he is from my high school too :laugh: :laugh:

That's funny. I watched one of the earlier seasons because the runner up (clay aiken) was in my graduating class. It was funny to see how they changed him over the course of the show.

vasco said:
That's funny. I watched one of the earlier seasons because the runner up (clay aiken) was in my graduating class. It was funny to see how they changed him over the course of the show.

like he started wearing makeup or something.... :)

vasco said:
You guys were actually in the same class :laugh: . Scott graduated long before I did. We just live in the same city now:laugh:

hey, i havent been on sdn for a while, but just wanted to introduce myself. my name is chang and imma be joinning the class of 2009 at case. ill be moving into the triangle apts in mid july. i was wondering for all those in the area, if its necessary to have a car, to get to the grocery stores, gym, school, conveient stores, etc. im pretty far away as it is, out here in california. well any information is appreciated about that area. thanks. and im always online with AIM, IM me at chinito916. i look forward to seeing and hearing from you case classmates. thanks

I don't think it is necessary to have a car in dental school as I have survived 1st year without one. You can easily access public transit to a grocery store 20 mins away as the bus that goes there has a stop directly in front of the Triangle. There is also another grocery store within walking distance. As for the gym, Case offers an excellent facility (about 15 min walk) which has basically everything you will need. 2 swimming pools, free weights and aerobic room, indoor basketball/tennis courts and indoor track. What is good is that the use of Case gym is already included in your tuition so you don't have to pay extra. If you don't want to walk that far, there is also a small workout room down by the lobby of the Triangle. I am sure once you start making friends, you may be able to ask for to carpool to grocery store, etc.

Mr. Teethpulla said:
hey, i havent been on sdn for a while, but just wanted to introduce myself. my name is chang and imma be joinning the class of 2009 at case. ill be moving into the triangle apts in mid july. i was wondering for all those in the area, if its necessary to have a car, to get to the grocery stores, gym, school, conveient stores, etc. im pretty far away as it is, out here in california. well any information is appreciated about that area. thanks. and im always online with AIM, IM me at chinito916. i look forward to seeing and hearing from you case classmates. thanks

thanks buddy. speaking of experience huh? i better get cracking at making friends. hopefully ill meet you come august.

chang

The Musketeer said:
I don't think it is necessary to have a car in dental school as I have survived 1st year without one. You can easily access public transit to a grocery store 20 mins away as the bus that goes there has a stop directly in front of the Triangle. There is also another grocery store within walking distance. As for the gym, Case offers an excellent facility (about 15 min walk) which has basically everything you will need. 2 swimming pools, free weights and aerobic room, indoor basketball/tennis courts and indoor track. What is good is that the use of Case gym is already included in your tuition so you don't have to pay extra. If you don't want to walk that far, there is also a small workout room down by the lobby of the Triangle. I am sure once you start making friends, you may be able to ask for to carpool to grocery store, etc.

I got an email from Barbara on financial aid stuff. One thing that that confuses me is the link to entrance counseling that is supposed to be sent to my Case email that I don't even have yet. Barbara is on vacation until June 25 :mad: and she won't reply until that date.

Don't I need to have a valid Case ID in order to activate my email account?! Then where would I get it?

I am totally confused and mad with the way financial aid office supports its students :mad:

To set up your account, you may access it here: https://its-services.case.edu/middleware/NetworkTools/userReg.html

If you are on the school system, your Case ID number is your SSN.

DDS2BE said:
I got an email from Barbara on financial aid stuff. One thing that that confuses me is the link to entrance counseling that is supposed to be sent to my Case email that I don't even have yet. Barbara is on vacation until June 25 :mad: and she won't reply until that date.

Don't I need to have a valid Case ID in order to activate my email account?! Then where would I get it?

I am totally confused and mad with the way financial aid office supports its students :mad:

Thanks bro, but my SSN didn't work. I guess I'm gonna have to wait 'till July 6. Gezzz, I already though my troubles are all over after being accepted.... silly me :p

yeah, it was confusing the heck out of me too. i actually found the website from the case homepage to sign up for an account, but it turns out that I, most likely all of us freshmans are not in the database yet, thus, cannot sign up for an account. but i was still able to do the loan entrance counseling at www.studentloanfunding.com as well as complete the MPN at www.laureate.salliemae.com, check it out and let me know if that works for you.

DDS2BE said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh!
What email, I never got an email saying anything about this stuff. Nor have I gotten anything in mail yet. Am I the only one in this boat? :eek:

Just received my Fall 2005 schedule

Gross Anatomy/Lab M,W (1:00-2:30pm, 3:00-4:30pm)
Dental Anatomy M,W (8:00-9:30am)
Dental Anatomy Sim Clinic W (10:00am – 11:00am)
Biochemistry M,F (10:00-11:30am), T (3:00pm – 4:30pm)
General Histology T,W (10am – 11:30am)
Critical Thinking Th (9:00 – 9:30am)
Facial Growth Th (2pm – 2:30pm)
Outreach Preventative Dentistry F (1:00pm – 2:30pm)
Outreach Preventative Dentistry Simulation Clinic (3:00pm – 4:30)

Does it look any different from class of 2008 Musketeer?

Also, I would appreciate if any one of you 2008 people have any tips, tricks or recommendations to successfully survive :scared: throughout those classes. I remember some one mentioned videotaping some class but don’t remember which class and I don’t feel like going back through this long a$$ thread :p

It looks very similiar, but we had perio lecture and didnt have critical thinking. hahaha, have fun with critical thinking (yu will know what i mean when yu take it). if dr tandler is still doing histo, then bring in a digital camera and take pictures of all his slides he presents in lecture. we also had dent sim, which doesnt look like yu guys are taking.

hey musketeer, im lifting and running these days so when i come back to school im goin to much much stronger than yu...im goin be ripping out of my scrubs!!!!! oh, and i was in yur homeland the other day partying!!!

DDS2BE said:

First look, it seems like some of the classes are 1/2 hr shorter (DA and Facial) and I don't see the course Intro to Dentsim as an individual course. They must have integrated it into DA class or something. It's good that Critical Thinking is only 1/2 hr per week cause it was very boring sitting through 2 hrs last year. As Sparty said, you are missing Perio course, as well as General Histo lab.

I believe either this is not a complete schedule or you might have missed typing some of the classes.

sparty1 said:
hey musketeer, im lifting and running these days so when i come back to school im goin to much much stronger than yu...im goin be ripping out of my scrubs!!!!! oh, and i was in yur homeland the other day partying!!!

Now, now, don't work out TOO HARD! You do have a fragile health condition. Don't want you to get sick again!

How do we have histology and dent sim on wednesday at the same time @10?

grinningrice said:
How do we have histology and dent sim on wednesday at the same time @10?

Some of your courses will start mid-semester, while the other course ends. So it will be possible for there be 2 courses with the same time. You won't find out the official schedule until orientation. The list you will get now is just a timetable w/o the starting dates.

The Musketeer said:
Some of your courses will start mid-semester, while the other course ends. So it will be possible for there be 2 courses with the same time. You won't find out the official schedule until orientation. The list you will get now is just a timetable w/o the starting dates.
btw, sorry about mother. She can be a kinda embaressing sometimes.

i got the packet of info as well, your schedule is an hour short on all the courses. mon-wed istarts at 8 am ends at 5 pm, thurs, and fri is 9 am to 5 pm. looks like the only easy day we got is thursday, with a couple of breaks.

DDS2BE said:

Also, I would appreciate if any one of you 2008 people have any tips, tricks or recommendations to successfully survive :scared: throughout those classes. I remember some one mentioned videotaping some class but don’t remember which class and I don’t feel like going back through this long a$$ thread :p

my mistake *half an hour shorter i mean.

Mr. Teethpulla said:
i got the packet of info as well, your schedule is an hour short on all the courses. mon-wed istarts at 8 am ends at 5 pm, thurs, and fri is 9 am to 5 pm. looks like the only easy day we got is thursday, with a couple of breaks.

grinningrice said:
btw, sorry about mother. She can be a kinda embaressing sometimes.

Don't worry, I am used to it as my parent is that way as well. I guess all asian parents (esp mother) are extremely concern about their child's wellbeing.

DDS2BE said:
Also, I would appreciate if any one of you 2008 people have any tips, tricks or recommendations to successfully survive

Here are my recommendations:

Don't buy those required or recommended textbooks right away! Most of them are useless and are a waste of your money! You should talk to an upper year first to see what they recommend. Sometimes there are better books then what the school recommends! From my experience, you will probably do very well on most courses without books other than the ones that I have stated below. However, if you are a book lover, I suggest you first search http://www.half.ebay.com/textbooks or amazon.com for them as they will probably be cheaper than the ones at the school bookstore.

Gross Anatomy: Dr. Landers is one of the smartest professor that you will have in 1st year, however because he is so intellectually gifted, it is very hard for him to teach the lectures at a lower 'easy-for-student-to-understand' level. Therefore, when he lectures, a lot of information will be way over your head and will sometimes to discouraging to show up for class. His lecture notes are not great at all, with mostly figures and couple pages of notes in between. But it is good to listen well in his class and take as much notes as you can and try to understand and connect things that are important at home. His tests are mainly test files (less on the first test but increase in 2nd and 3rd test). He also has a big 'bell-curve' in this course as many students do have difficulty in this class (so don't worry - rarely you will remediate in this class)

Recommended books:

1) Gross Anatomy - Kyung Won Chung; Board Review Series (this is the best book you can get for gross anatomy)
2) Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body - Johannes Rohen (this is a GREAT substitute if you don't show up for Dissection of the Human Body, however it will be better for you to go to those classes as the photos in the book are clearly dissected, whereas, in class, they are not and those will be the ones you will use on the tests (hint: look over test files to see which items are tested on and review the location of those on cadaver, he will most likely be testing those key items again on the tests)

Dental Anatomy: Don't know if they have changed the format of the course book but when I had it the information were everywhere and difficult to understand. For tests, Dr. J will rarely reuse test file questions, but do look through one for two recent tests to familiarize yourself with the format. She likes to put detractors on every single question just to screw your mind so read carefully on each question!

Recommended book:

Dental Anatomy - Its Relevance to Dentistry (this book is good at identifying the key features of each tooth as well as ways of differentiate it from other similar teeth from all sides. Excellent if you are having trouble in this section)

General Histology: If Dr. Tandler is still teaching, take good notes in lectures as they will be the only material that he will use on his tests. He doesn't use test files as well. As for identification part of the tests, just take photos or videotape all the slides he shows near the conclusion of each class and just memorize for them. He will use majority of the slides for the tests from class slides.

Recommended book: None really, any general histo book will be good for reference. But as I said, he only take questions from lecture materials

Facial Growth: Don't know if Dr. Hans will be changing the format of his tests this year after when the whole class found a way to ace his tests. If he does, I guess just to attend the 1/2 hr lectures.

Recommended book: None. Dr. Hans has a book that he had published as a recommended book, but I don't know how useful is it.

Biochem: You are lucky, Dr. Whittingham will be teaching the entire course this year and he is a great lecturer. Along with good lecture notes he will explain it in a way to make it easy for you to understand. His lectures will be interesting as he will pull some interesting stories about his son in lectures. You are also lucky because his tests are all from Brainslicer. So if you do and memorize all the questions on Brainslicer you will definately get an excellent grade in the course.

Recommended book: If you do want to learn, you can get the Biochemistry; Board Review Series.

Neurobiology: If the course format stays the same, you will have both Dr. Landers (Dr. Test files) and Dr. Whittingham (Dr. Brainslicer) for this course. Because each will rely heavily on test files and brainslicer to formulate their questions for their tests, you can get by without a need for any textbook. It will save you some money!

Periodontics: The prof might be changing the format of the tests this year. So I don't know what info to give you. But in general, the course is pretty straightforward.

Recommended book:

Clinical Periodontology by Carranza - this is a required or recommended book for the course. Although you will not be needing it for the course (from experiences of upper years and myself), it is a good book as many other dental schools are using this book as well and it is also good to have for future reference.

Critical Thinking: A waste of time. The professor don't know how to teach and the examples she use in class are horrible. Just learn from the handouts and you should be good.

Outreach: Basically study the lecture notes. Pretty straight forward until you reach the drugs section.

sorry guys if I’ve made any mistakes with this schedule as I didn't have time to go over it having my boss all over my back :p

thanks Sparty for the tip with this digital camera thing :) So, should I keep my flash on or off then? :rolleyes: jst kidding :D

Can you guys tell us what Critical Thinking class is about?

Also, speaking of a laptop that was supposed to be a part of our D1 kit... The price of the kit is ~$7500 and the laptop is not part of it. Just the way it was in for 2008 class. There is a link to Case discount deals on computer purchase, but it can be only accessed by having Case ID and a password which none of us 2009ers have. My friend, a Case graduate, told me we will be able to get up to 60% off on dell computers and Mac's as well. Can any1 confirm it? If that's true, then I'm definitely gettin' a Dell 600m and getting rid of my HP laptop. How is the battery life on yours, Musketeer? Are you happy with it?

I am pretty happy with my laptop. It has an average working time of 2.5 hrs. Pretty light but still has a reasonable screen size. Everett has a 700m, a little smaller.

Just checked the website, what you will get is the regular dell discount + Case members discount (12%) + promotional items (ie: MP3 player). I believe you can get higher discount if you are faculty or staff.

Critical Thinking is a statistic course where you learn some of the most basic types of statistical analysis done in research articles.

DDS2BE said:
sorry guys if I’ve made any mistakes with this schedule as I didn't have time to go over it having my boss all over my back :p

thanks Sparty for the tip with this digital camera thing :) So, should I keep my flash on or off then? :rolleyes: jst kidding :D

Can you guys tell us what Critical Thinking class is about?

Also, speaking of a laptop that was supposed to be a part of our D1 kit... The price of the kit is ~$7500 and the laptop is not part of it. Just the way it was in for 2008 class. There is a link to Case discount deals on computer purchase, but it can be only accessed by having Case ID and a password which none of us 2009ers have. My friend, a Case graduate, told me we will be able to get up to 60% off on dell computers and Mac's as well. Can any1 confirm it? If that's true, then I'm definitely gettin' a Dell 600m and getting rid of my HP laptop. How is the battery life on yours, Musketeer? Are you happy with it?

Guys, has anyone else not gotten the award letter yet or just me? :confused:

I have not gotten it yet either. I have noticed from all the other mailings that I get my stuff about four days after everyone else, so let me know when you do get it and then I'll be expecting it in about the next week.

DDS2BE said:

I recieved mine on the 13th also.

any news on it?

i'm just curious to know if ppl on the list have heard!!! :love:

DDS2BE said:

I received something at my parent's house yesterday. I assume it's the financial aid stuff since everything else has been coming to my address. But my award has been up on briefcase since about june 15th.

DDS2BE said:
Hi Fiona, welcome to SDN and our 2009 class!

I guess, I'm gonna have to sign up for AIM too :oops: as I've been using Yahoo, MSN and ICQ my entire life, adding a 4th messenger won't be a problem :D.

Hi Serge
I heard about u from Chang and Maemie :) I'm sooo used to Y! but signed up for this AIM just for Case. I gonna be in Cleveland next week. We may see eachother.

lilia said:
Hi Serge
I heard about u from Chang and Maemie :) I'm sooo used to Y! but signed up for this AIM just for Case. I gonna be in Cleveland next week. We may see eachother.
;
Hi lilia, welcome to Case and SDN community :) I signed up for AIM for the same reason as you. Let me know if you need to be picked up or anything like this. You may also find my AIM nick under my avatar.

back at home Serge, thanks for hooking me up with a ride to the airport and showing me around cleveland. Serge is a very very nice guy...glad your is in our 2009 class buddy. thanks for hte movie too, and the beers, ill get you back when we meet again, for sure.

chang

DDS2BE said:
;
Hi lilia, welcome to Case and SDN community :) I signed up for AIM for the same reason as you. Let me know if you need to be picked up or anything like this. You may also find my AIM nick under my avatar.

Mr. Teethpulla said:
back at home Serge, thanks for hooking me up with a ride to the airport and showing me around cleveland. Serge is a very very nice guy...glad your is in our 2009 class buddy. thanks for hte movie too, and the beers, ill get you back when we meet again, for sure.

chang

Hey... our next trip with be out to Cleveland's ghetto that I've been telling you,. Chang, about :D If anybody else wants a ride with us, I will arrange a private bus ;)

you serious, theres more ghetto that i havent seen yet? euclid on the other side of mayfield is pretty dayam bad. and i found the giant eagle on cedar!

DDS2BE said:
Hey... our next trip with be out to Cleveland's ghetto that I've been telling you,. Chang, about :D If anybody else wants a ride with us, I will arrange a private bus ;)

Mr. Teethpulla said:
euclid on the other side of mayfield is pretty dayam bad.

Ah yes...the beautiful city of East Cleveland. I just moved in about a week and a half ago. I've had the priveledge to drive a little bit around East Cleveland and talk about a culture shock.....lets just say it's a little different than Utah.

I really like the neighborhood that I moved into (cleveland heigts). There are so many other dental students who live in the area as well. In fact I had dinner with a second year who lives on my street just an hour ago.

I've just been working on my house for the past week and a half. It's been pretty crazy but things are starting to come together.

Anyway happy Fourth to all!

Are most of you going to use the Case signature loan or another bank for your private loans?

Mr. Teethpulla said:
you serious, theres more ghetto that i havent seen yet? euclid on the other side of mayfield is pretty dayam bad. and i found the giant eagle on cedar!

You haven't seen anything yet ;)

hahaha, just wait until yu guys have to go to the severence center for something....that will be a treat :laugh:

dr. wu,

im bringing back tons of venison and smoked salmon, so we gotta bbq that when i come back!!

ok Case has become my first choice (due to some external factors) and I want to do everything I can to get in there. Some people suggested applying early...what is early, relative to everything else? I submitted my AADSAS a few days ago, I'm taking the DAT close to the end of this month...if my AADSAS and DAT are to Case by beginning to middle of August, is that early enough to have a better shot???

vasco said:
Are most of you going to use the Case signature loan or another bank for your private loans?

Not sure about others, but I already got approved with Sallie Mae Case signature loan.

I've been in town now for about a week and I must admit it is a bit different, but maybe its my warped sense of preception, but I like it. I must admit some of the parts seem pretty bad...
I've been out of the loop for a week since my phone line still isn't hooked up, but it is nice to see SDN is right here where I left it.

DDS2BE said:
Not sure about others, but I already got approved with Sallie Mae Case signature loan.

I was reading up on the Sallie Mae loan and it said that they have some back end fees that might be applied to a loan. Did they tell you if those fees would be applied to case students?

I'm just trying to figure out which one works the best for me. Right now I'm thinking about the Access loan which runs with the 3 month Libor rate and then you add on 2.4% which is a fixed rate for the duration of the loan.

What attracts you to the Sallie Mae loan? Anyone else out there found the loan that works the best for them?

vasco said:
I was reading up on the Sallie Mae loan and it said that they have some back end fees that might be applied to a loan. Did they tell you if those fees would be applied to case students?

I'm just trying to figure out which one works the best for me. Right now I'm thinking about the Access loan which runs with the 3 month Libor rate and then you add on 2.4% which is a fixed rate for the duration of the loan.

What attracts you to the Sallie Mae loan? Anyone else out there found the loan that works the best for them?

Alright, I've been shopping around for the best deal on private loan and did discover that your credit score talks! :p Then I spoke to Barbara and she convinced me to go with a lender who is trusted by school instead of going for the lowest rate. So, to answer your question, it is a combination of rate and Barbara's advice that made my choose Sallie Mae.

DDS2BE said:
Alright, I've been shopping around for the best deal on private loan and did discover that your credit score talks! :p Then I spoke to Barbara and she convinced me to go with a lender who is trusted by school instead of going for the lowest rate. So, to answer your question, it is a combination of rate and Barbara's advice that made my choose Sallie Mae.

Thanks man. I haven't quite deceided what I'm going to do yet but I have to act fast if I'm going to make the 22nd deadline.

We should get everyone who is here already and play some basketball or something like that.

i applied in june with aadsas, took the dat at the end of july, and that worked for me. i guess it depends on what you mean by "better shot?" i.e. better than what?

lcinva said:
ok Case has become my first choice (due to some external factors) and I want to do everything I can to get in there. Some people suggested applying early...what is early, relative to everything else? I submitted my AADSAS a few days ago, I'm taking the DAT close to the end of this month...if my AADSAS and DAT are to Case by beginning to middle of August, is that early enough to have a better shot???

You will not be considered an early applicant at Case. Case starts their interview in mid August and they usually have a backlog of applicants waiting for interview (usually 2.5 months backlog if you receive a interview letter in end of Aug- early Sept). When you submit your application and send it to the school, it will usually take AADSAS about 1 month for the whole proces, so it will be about mid Sept before Case gets your info. I will predict that by the time you get the interview letter and schedule an interview the earliest dates they will have will be in early to mid December. To note, they will start interviews for alternate list in February so if your stats are not what they like, they might just give you an interview for the alternate list instead.

lcinva said: