Who is going to Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We'll I guess it's looking like I will be attending Case this fall, so hello to all of you classmates :D . I have been waiting on answers from other schools and have finally had enough waiting. I guess it saves me $1000 since I had already put my deposit down at Case in Jan. My wife and I are flying out to Cleveland on the 13th of April to do some house shopping. I'm pretty excited for the upcoming year but have a bunch of stuff to get done before July 27th rolls around. Such as graduate, move my family 2400 miles, get our house rented, buy a house,.......So much fun, so little time.

Members don't see this ad.

eric275 said:
We'll I guess it's looking like I will be attending Case this fall, so hello to all of you classmates :D . I have been waiting on answers from other schools and have finally had enough waiting. I guess it saves me $1000 since I had already put my deposit down at Case in Jan. My wife and I are flying out to Cleveland on the 13th of April to do some house shopping. I'm pretty excited for the upcoming year but have a bunch of stuff to get done before July 27th rolls around. Such as graduate, move my family 2400 miles, get our house rented, buy a house,.......So much fun, so little time.

congrats on your decision...i was reading your post..and just realizing how naggy i've been with MY situation...and it really isn't rough...since i don't have a FAMILY to move..i'm just homeless as of may...if i don't find out from NYU by then...cuz if i DO find out about NYU, then i'd go live with my sister.
i can't just move my stuff 'back home' for the time being, cuz home is half way across the world.

i'm just an idiot of a kid..learning to put stuff in perspective. i'm gonna *try* to quit the whinning...and just wait ;)

I was wondering if any of you current students could give me some info. I'm thinking about buying a house in Cleveland heights on Roanoke road. Do any of you know of this neighborhood? Is it safe enough for a family with two small children?

I was talking to a police officer and he said that in Cleveland it's not so much bad neighborhoods as bad streets. He said that you could have one good street and then a bad street right next to it.

If anyone knows anything I would be greatly appreciative.

Members don't see this ad :)
eric275 said:

Congrats on your decision dude and Welcome to Case club :thumbup:

To all 2005 Case students: i think it would be a good idea to get together before the school starts so we have a better chance to get to know each other and chill over a glass of beer or whichever beverage your prefer :D

fruity_trident said:
congrats on your decision...i was reading your post..and just realizing how naggy i've been with MY situation...and it really isn't rough...since i don't have a FAMILY to move..i'm just homeless as of may...if i don't find out from NYU by then...cuz if i DO find out about NYU, then i'd go live with my sister.
i can't just move my stuff 'back home' for the time being, cuz home is half way across the world.

i'm just an idiot of a kid..learning to put stuff in perspective. i'm gonna *try* to quit the whinning...and just wait ;)

You are one whiner :)

... but wait... an acceptance from a dental school will definitely change your whining habit! Well, it did mine :D

DDS2BE said:
To all 2005 Case students: i think it would be a good idea to get together before the school starts so we have a better chance to get to know each other and chill over a glass of beer or whichever beverage your prefer :D
I htink this is a great idea, but when? We (my wife and I) will be moving to cleveland @ the end of June. For the others who also have to move there when are you planning the big jump?

wammmy said:
I htink this is a great idea, but when? We (my wife and I) will be moving to cleveland @ the end of June. For the others who also have to move there when are you planning the big jump?
I think it is a super idea that we all get together and hang out:) I will most likely move in in the middle of July.

We can get together sometime in the middle of July then. I am so excited about meeting the people from SDN and my future classmates that I am going to be stuck with for the next 4+ years :)

here is my email to contact: [email protected]

btw, i have a bit of a plan change... I was in a process of buying a condo close to Case, but looks like i'm gonna go with rent instead, hopefully in a walking distance from Case. The estate around Case is either a piece of trash, which by the way, sells for no less than 130k with huge maintenance fees, or some nice 3 story condos for over 500k :oops:

Now, after spending over 4 months of searching for a condo, I have come to a conclusion that the positive aspects of living close to Case in a rental property outweigh the negative side. By saying positive, I mean no parking problems; no lost time in traffic, living close to dental students is always a plus in terms of being in the center of all student activities, friendship, and future connections. A negative side… well you know the negatives of renting a property ;)

Definitely would like to meet you guys. Just curious, how many of you are non traditional students?

I will be moving to Cleveland in May. Seems like most of you will be there in June or July. Let me know if anyone will be there earlier.

Hey guys I'm subleasing my apartment for the next year. You will get a floor plan and this letter in the next week or so but I thought I'd give you guys first crack at it.

Class of 2009,

I would like to begin by congratulating you upon your acceptance and choice to come to Case Dentistry. You are receiving this letter because I am a first year dental student who is looking to sublease my apartment for this upcoming school year.

My apartment is located literally 5-10minutes walking distance from the school of dentistry. It is a two bedroom apartment located very close to a grocery store, banks, libraries and Little Italy. A floor plan is attached. Rent is currently at $1000 (so $500 a person) a month but I am subletting it out at $970 a month. This includes heat, air conditioning (Both of which is controlled by you) and water. The only extra bill you have to pay is electricity which ranges from $30-$60, which is considered very cheap. I have already setup television cable as well as internet here , I believe it comes out to $60 a month but you can cancel it if you wish. A $300 deposit will be required as well.

Another added bonus is that I am only asking for the school year. So if you want to go home and not pay rent over the summer you won’t have to! So the sublease time I am looking for is August 1st (But you can begin move in as early as July 15 for free!) and will end May 31st or June 30th if you choose to stay that extra month.

The reason I am trying to sublease this place is because I have chosen to purchase a home instead. The Waldorf is an awesome place which is geared towards professional students and elderly people. My neighbor is a law student and an MBA student. They care so much about the people here that they provide breakfast Monday to Friday in the morning (Donuts, bagels, coffee, tea for free) and they even have Christmas dinner for everyone!

If you are interested please contact me, Everett Wu at 216-409-2822 or at [email protected]. If you have MSN Messenger feel free to ask me any questions at [email protected].

I look forward to meeting all of you, Everett Wu DMD Class of 2008

I forgot to mention there is one heated indoor parking spot, $20 a month but I'll let you use it for free!

FUTDR, I am not sure if I should conceder myself a non-traditional student so you will be the judge.

I am 25 years old. I graduated with my BS in chemistry degree in 2003. Then took my time off, thanks to my undergrad school :mad: :mad: :mad:, and almost two years later got accepted to DMD at Case :love:

I am living with my girlfriend, have a 2.5 year-old cat and a Ball Python snake :D

I have created a hotmail account and have left an email there with a powerpoint attachment of my apartment and info. If you want to take a virtual tour go to www.hotmail.com , username = rent_waldorf, password= waldorf.

the email is under asf asdf and has no subject heading.

enjoy.

Everett Wu

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked Dr.Aftoora if our 2009 class would have to purchase laptops or a laptop will be included in the D1 kit and this is what I got:

at present we do not require a lap top but I am sure that we will within a couple of years. I am sure that your laptop will handle whatever you need to do at the dental school. The campus is wireless but I suspect your machine is already set up for wireless. All the best, PCA

It seems like a laptop won't be a part of 2009 D1 kit, then why would they jack up the price by $3k?!

What are your thoughts on 2009 class web page?

To Case current students: do you guys have your class web page? It would be interesting to check it out :)

We do, but it is mainly for a way to distribute class notes to everyone. Unfortunately, it is password protected so sorry....also, there is nothing interesting (ie: no photos, whatsoever), just class notes, test aids, etc....nothing that will impress you.

DDS2BE said:
What are your thoughts on 2009 class web page?

To Case current students: do you guys have your class web page? It would be interesting to check it out :)

I dont remember who was asking how long the wait list is and I was speaking with Brian Sherman he said it is approximately 30 some odd people.

everett_wu said:
I dont remember who was asking how long the wait list is and I was speaking with Brian Sherman he said it is approximately 30 some odd people.
hey everett, thanks!
i've been calling brian quite a lot lately..since i sent in my check..and wanted to know the status of my app...

he said i could inquire about the alt list rankings in the beginning of may.

u know what i really REALLY love about case - their admissions is GREAT...they practically tell u everything, and do NOT leave u hanging...
they'll tell u if u got on to the alt list...if they say something is in the mail..it IS. i've had ALL my questions answered through the phone. i am always able to get in touch with someone.

case seems flawless...i haven't heard ANY complaints about the school, aside from the price.
i really hope ppl get into their state schools...to give us alt listers a chance :)

How is the financial aid process going for everyone? Just wondering, has anyone applied for the Case Custom Signature loan yet, or is that something that will be done further down the road?

fruity_trident said:
i really hope ppl get into their state schools...to give us alt listers a chance :)

That makes two of us! I wanna go to Case!!! :oops:

MarcoRamius said:
How is the financial aid process going for everyone? Just wondering, has anyone applied for the Case Custom Signature loan yet, or is that something that will be done further down the road?

I was wondering the same thing. April 30th is coming up and that seems like the deadline for most of the finaid stuff...I asked Barbara about it via email and I didn't really understand her answer (wans't very straight forward) but it seems like we can only apply for it once we are awarded a financial aid package. We should get some clarification though. I plan on calling her this week.

Well I just got back from my house shopping trip to Case, all went great! The weather was in the high 60's to low 70's while I was out there, pretty nice. Anyway as an answer to an earlier post in this thread I am non-trad student also, bringing a wife, daughter, and one more little one on the way! Should make for an interesting first year, lol.

Any other non-trad students bringing famlies out to Case? I'm really not looking forward to the 2400 mile move, gonna be an awful long drive. If anyone else on here is bringing famlies out with a truck-load of family possessions maybe we could arrange some truck unloading groups. I will be coming out the beggining of July or the latest will be mid-July. In July my six month pregnant wife probably won't be doing much lifting so I'll definately be needing some help.

The real-estate agent I delt with is a fourth year dental students wife so I got some great info on local events, things to do, places to see, doctors names, etc. Overall it was a very worthwhile trip and can't wait to get back out to Clevelend!

Hey Eric,

I will be in Cleveland for the summer, so if you need a hand unloading, just give me a shout!

eric275 said:
Well I just got back from my house shopping trip to Case, all went great! The weather was in the high 60's to low 70's while I was out there, pretty nice. Anyway as an answer to an earlier post in this thread I am non-trad student also, bringing a wife, daughter, and one more little one on the way! Should make for an interesting first year, lol.

Any other non-trad students bringing famlies out to Case? I'm really not looking forward to the 2400 mile move, gonna be an awful long drive. If anyone else on here is bringing famlies out with a truck-load of family possessions maybe we could arrange some truck unloading groups. I will be coming out the beggining of July or the latest will be mid-July. In July my six month pregnant wife probably won't be doing much lifting so I'll definately be needing some help.

The real-estate agent I delt with is a fourth year dental students wife so I got some great info on local events, things to do, places to see, doctors names, etc. Overall it was a very worthwhile trip and can't wait to get back out to Clevelend!

eric275 said:

I'm a non-trad as well. I'm married and have two boys (2 years; seven months). I'm getting really excited to move out there. We bought a house in Cleveland Heights and I'm flying out to do the final walk through in about two weeks. How did you house hunting go? Where are you thinking about buying?

Hey guys I was just reading your home shopping stuff. I just bought a home here and you would want to check out homes roughly in the rushleigh and Taylor area. I'm on St.Albans and a few others are in the area. I suggest you get a map and check it out. The prices are decent and the homes are large enough for a family.

The Musketeer said:
Hey Eric,

I will be in Cleveland for the summer, so if you need a hand unloading, just give me a shout!

Thanks for the offer Derek, I might just take you up on it :D Sorry I didn't get a chance to hook up with you while I was out there, it was kind of a whirl-wind trip. I was looking forward to seeing your "skills" in clinic but our schedule didn't work out for me to be at Case during your clinic time. Anyway I hope all is well for you and I'll be talking to you soon. Also would you mind PM'ing me your cell number, I can't seem to find where I wrote it down, heh.

vasco said:
I'm a non-trad as well. I'm married and have two boys (2 years; seven months). I'm getting really excited to move out there. We bought a house in Cleveland Heights and I'm flying out to do the final walk through in about two weeks. How did you house hunting go? Where are you thinking about buying?

The House hunting went well. We ended up buying a house in the Cleveland heights area also, it's on Pennfield Rd. Where in the heights is the house your buying? The dental students wife that was our real estate agent said there a quite a few dental students with families in the heights area which makes it nice for car-pooling and getting together for activities. When are you planning on making the move?

everett_wu said:
Hey guys I was just reading your home shopping stuff. I just bought a home here and you would want to check out homes roughly in the rushleigh and Taylor area. I'm on St.Albans and a few others are in the area. I suggest you get a map and check it out. The prices are decent and the homes are large enough for a family.

Hey Everett. It took me a couple minutes of searching but I found where you were talking about. Just east of Taylor Rd and north of Severance town center right? That's considered the Cleveland heights area also. I'm just about four streets East and north of Monticello Blvd. from ya. You bringing a family also? When are you making the move to Cleveland, or are you already there?

eric275 said:
The House hunting went well. We ended up buying a house in the Cleveland heights area also, it's on Pennfield Rd. Where in the heights is the house your buying? The dental students wife that was our real estate agent said there a quite a few dental students with families in the heights area which makes it nice for car-pooling and getting together for activities. When are you planning on making the move?

Where abouts are you on Pennfield, I'm only one block over.

He's actually a D1....however, you can say that he will be bringing/starting his family in the new place.

eric275 said:
Hey Everett. It took me a couple minutes of searching but I found where you were talking about. Just east of Taylor Rd and north of Severance town center right? That's considered the Cleveland heights area also. I'm just about four streets East and north of Monticello Blvd. from ya. You bringing a family also? When are you making the move to Cleveland, or are you already there?

wow, everyone is moving into a house!!! thats a really good move. houses are fun to live in. But, for everyone just joining SDN and those who havent payed much attention, i posted a thread earlier about looking for a roomate next yr and am still looking for one. i live about ten min walking distance from the dental school. my apartment is new and has two bedrooms and two bathrooms. i have a dishwasher, electric stove and much more. Im a current first yr dental student and have no preference for a guy or girl roomate. my AOL Screename is dzingle31, so feel free to contact me whenever. Good luck house shoping everyone!

The Musketeer said:
He's actually a D1....however, you can say that he will be bringing/starting his family in the new place.

Ahh, my bad :)

The Musketeer said:

Thanks for answering for me Derek. This is why people think we're the same person.

Anyway Sparty's place is a pretty good place, it also helps to live with an upper class student. He'll show you the testfile ropes. (you'll understand when you get here)

Another plug for my place too. It's in the same place. If you want to sublease from me, let me know. If you let me know earlier we can work out possibly special discount pricing for renting early, especially if you're bringing a family and renting out the whole place or something. Read my previous messages about details.

Everett

eric275 said:

That is so funny...looks like we all bought in the same area. We purchased a house on Roanoke Road which is just three streets east of Pennfield. That's cool...must be a good area for families to live in. At least we will have lots of dental neighbors nearby. I'm flying out to do the final walk through in a couple weeks I'll be staying with a dental student who lives on Roanoke.

I'm using Upack.com to ship my goods out there. It's only going to cost 1600 to go from Utah to Cleveland and I don't have to drive a truck across the US. I plan on hitting some cool sites on the way such as Mt Rushmore and things like that.

We will arrive the last week in June to work on the house a little. We are going to tear up some carpet in the living room and paint it as well. Plus we are going to drop a couple Gs into the kitchen because it is from 1935.

Anyway look forward to meeting you all.

Chauncey

Ya, Sparty's apartment is definitely a good place to live. The Waldorf apartment is very close to the dental school as well as a grocery store (only a 10 min walk). Sparty is a very jolly guy and it will be good to have an upper classman to teach you stuff. Also, since the building is one of the main areas which dental students reside in (D1-D4), you will probably meet some of your classmates there as well, and it will be pretty easy to get together with them to study and work on assignments!

sparty1 said:
wow, everyone is moving into a house!!! thats a really good move. houses are fun to live in. But, for everyone just joining SDN and those who havent payed much attention, i posted a thread earlier about looking for a roomate next yr and am still looking for one. i live about ten min walking distance from the dental school. my apartment is new and has two bedrooms and two bathrooms. i have a dishwasher, electric stove and much more. Im a current first yr dental student and have no preference for a guy or girl roomate. my AOL Screename is dzingle31, so feel free to contact me whenever. Good luck house shoping everyone!

The Musketeer said:
The Waldorf apartment is very close to the dental school as well as a grocery store (only a 10 min walk).

Hey Musketeer, I am still looking for an apartment close to Case. Last week, I was looking at Waldorf apartments review online and got terrified with the feedbacks people left :eek: . I just wanted to know if you or your classmates heard the same thing as I read.

Cheers!

I know which website you are talking about. I've checked it out last year as well. I am sure both Sparty and Mr. Wu can attest that those comments where just started up by some disgrunted person/people. From my experience and other dental students who lives there, there is nothing but positives to say about Waldorf.

Maybe Mr. Wu and Sparty can contribute their comments as well.

DDS2BE said:
Hey Musketeer, I am still looking for an apartment close to Case. Last week, I was looking at Waldorf apartments review online and got terrified with the feedbacks people left :eek: . I just wanted to know if you or your classmates heard the same thing as I read.

Cheers!

The Musketeer said:
I know which website you are talking about. I've checked it out last year as well. I am sure both Sparty and Mr. Wu can attest that those comments where just started up by some disgrunted person/people. From my experience and other dental students who lives there, there is nothing but positives to say about Waldorf.

Maybe Mr. Wu and Sparty can contribute their comments as well.

yeah.. there are so many bad comments about the Triangle Apt. So far, I really love the place and nothing but positives. I'm planning to stay for the next 3 yrs. Don't trust too much on those comments.

Thanks both of you guys :thumbup: your feedback is great and very helpful.

So, are the Triangle and the Waldorf apts where most dental students residue?

My wife and I and our two little girls ( three and one) will also be moving out there at the end of June. We haven't bought a house yet, but are looking in all the same areas as the rest of you. We'll be flying out to do the house hunt thing May 9-13th. And I think an unpacking club sounds great, I would love to help, and wouldn't mind some help. :D As it stands right now we will be arriving on June 27th, but first we have to find a place to live. Just a question for you house buyers, how are you getting aproved for your loan? Are you using a co-signer or a NINA or what?

DDS2BE said:

Cheers!
YEah I read the same thing. You really have to come see it for yourself. YOu'll always have a few people who are pissed off about things. The best thing you can do is check yourself \. I did and I've been at the Waldorf all year. I think it's excellent and if I didn't buy a home I would have lived there a second year. (Which is why I'm trying so hard to sublease my place out)

DDS2BE said:
Thanks both of you guys :thumbup: your feedback is great and very helpful.

So, are the Triangle and the Waldorf apts where most dental students residue?

A good number reside in these buildings but people are generally spread out between Waldorf, Triangle, Delt house and living in their own home.

Thanks Wu for reply. I guess you're right, as there will be always people complaining no matter how good the place is. It is just a human nature :)

If any of you guys (that will be moving in) need help with unloading your stuff feel free to let me know as I will have a whole July off.

wammmy said:
My wife and I and our two little girls ( three and one) will also be moving out there at the end of June. We haven't bought a house yet, but are looking in all the same areas as the rest of you. We'll be flying out to do the house hunt thing May 9-13th. And I think an unpacking club sounds great, I would love to help, and wouldn't mind some help. :D As it stands right now we will be arriving on June 27th, but first we have to find a place to live. Just a question for you house buyers, how are you getting aproved for your loan? Are you using a co-signer or a NINA or what?

Just in case you didn't know you can still go out and look for housing now, find a house, make an offer, and get it accepted. Then you can just do a 30-60 day closing on your house, say at the beggining or middle of June, take possession at the end of June and have your first first mortgage payment due in August.

You can get a pre-approval done wherever you live or use a lender out in Ohio. It is sometimes easier to get the pre-approval done in the same state where you are buying because they will be better suited to work with local real-estate agents, apprasal companies, etc. basically just whatever works best for you. To get your pre-approval you just get in contact with a mortgage broker like you would for any other home purchase, which may mean getting a co-signer or whatever your circumstance calls for.

I'll PM you with the real-estate agent I used, a fourth year dental students wife, and she can get you headed in the right direction or answer any other specific questions that you may have. She was really great to work with.

Best of luck and I'll keep in touch as June approaches for the un-packing party, lol :D

wow, nice jugs :thumbup: !! reminds me of the man show...damn i miss that show

sparty1 said:
wow, nice jugs :thumbup: !! reminds me of the man show...damn i miss that show
That chick looks asian, asian chicks dont have boobs. ;-)

i've seen some asian chicks with boobs, but they [boobs] were out of proportion :D

fruity_trident said:
hey! speak for yourself

hahaha...who am i kidding? :D :laugh: ;)
Im jus kidding too, Im pretty well endowed for an asian girl as well.