Which States offer Special Permits for new grads to work that don't pass their NAVLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcheu22

Reaction score
I know some states offer special permits for vets that have to retake the NAVLE to work under a supervisional veterinarian until the next retake score is released (If I am understanding it right), does anyone know of any other states that would allow you to work under supervision if you have not passed the NAVLE? Link below for Kentucky's "Special Permit"

I am particularly interested in California (but can't navigate to find the information so I am assuming they don't) , but open to other states as well

Members don't see this ad.

I know Delaware does. I think you have it for something like 6 mo and you have to take the navle and pass the next time it’s offered or they revoke it. I would doubt California would since they JUST got rid of their state board exam this past January, which was essentially a second navle.
AFAIK Michigan does not allow it and I know Indiana does not either.

Members don't see this ad :)
After a brief search I don't think Minnesota has an option for this. Utah has a Veterinary Intern license that could probably be used in this context- up to 18 months for clinical training

I know Delaware does. I think you have it for something like 6 mo and you have to take the navle and pass the next time it’s offered or they revoke it. I would doubt California would since they JUST got rid of their state board exam this past January, which was essentially a second navle.
AFAIK Michigan does not allow it and I know Indiana does not either.
HEY! I was scrolling through other threads and saw you!! I just wanted to ask more about the "second navle" in CA. They got rid of it? I did not know that. Clearly shows I've been stuck at trying to pass the NAVLE for so long. Do you know though if that law/business exam still needs to be taken I believe online? Maybe even where this new updated information is located. NEVERMIND. I found another thread with the link information.

Last edited:
HEY! I was scrolling through other threads and saw you!! I just wanted to ask more about the "second navle" in CA. They got rid of it? I did not know that. Clearly shows I've been stuck at trying to pass the NAVLE for so long. Do you know though if that law/business exam still needs to be taken I believe online? Maybe even where this new updated information is located. NEVERMIND. I found another thread with the link information.
They still require the national NAVLE but they no longer have the very long state board exam that has been described by others as essentially a second NAVLE that you had to take after passing the national NAVLE. They got rid of the long state board exam starting January 2022 iirc.

They still require the national NAVLE but they no longer have the very long state board exam that has been described by others as essentially a second NAVLE that you had to take after passing the national NAVLE. They got rid of the long state board exam starting January 2022 iirc.
Yeah I know the NAVLE is still a must but didn't realize they took off the second exam start of last year.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I know the NAVLE is still a must but didn't realize they took off the second exam start of last year.
Yep! So at least you’ve got that where you don’t have to take both and pass both any more! Still crossing my fingers for you next round you choose to take it (if you do or if you do something that doesn’t require a license and say screw it)

I'm pretty sure New Jersey allows this. A practice I worked at had a new grad who had failed the NAVLE working as a doctor. I got the impression he was supposed to be doing everything with patients under a licensed vet's supervision, but he often saw his own patients and performed spays/neuters on his own (with the older doctors checking in every so often)

I got the impression he was supposed to be doing everything with patients under a licensed vet's supervision, but he often saw his own patients and performed spays/neuters on his own (with the older doctors checking in every so often)
“Under supervision” sometimes can mean that the vet they’re practicing under is in the building and available for help(since it’s their license), not necessarily they always have to have eyes on that person under them’s patients. They’d never be able to see their own patients and make money otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!! Hoping to ask about if anyone knows if these states allow it: New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, California. If you can also include links where it shows the state allows it, that would be great thank you!

Bumping this thread again in the hopes someone can help!
Hi!! Hoping to ask about if anyone knows if these states allow it: New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, California. If you can also include links where it shows the state allows it, that would be great thank you!

Have you tried calling or emailing the board of vet med in the states you’re interested in? That sort of stuff should be in the states practice act which has been posted online in every state I’ve ever lived in, but the board would/should have the ultimate answer and, since this would be an uncommon situation, I bet it would be more reliable and faster than just posting repeatedly on SDN hoping someone has experience.

You will probably have to be the one to do the legwork and research if this is a situation you’ve found yourself in. And I say that without judgement, one of my good friends failed NAVLE twice and had to work as a “tech” at an equine internship until she passed so I do understand somewhat.

Reactions: 2 users