Where will the next podiatry school open up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychPod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Serious question.

Do you think there will be an additional podiatric medical school open up in the next 4-5 years? If so where do you think it will be?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope one doesn't open up. The profession doesn't need another 100 more qualified doctors fighting for the residency spots.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe the AACPM is prohibiting any new schools from opening for the time being after western opened.

I don't remember where I got that info, or how reliable it is. I probably got it off from this site.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the last thing we need right now.

Last edited:
In the next 4-5 years, NO additional school will be opened from the prospective of how things are going right now. It's already been implemented that no new schools shall open until further notice. We don't really need any additional school at the moment and, I and many others would agree, do not see a benefit of opening one. It's best to keep the graduating class size small and make the applicant pool more competitive. We don't want to saturate it either, and the residency crisis is not yet over. I can maybe see in the next 15-20 years though, but that's just a maybe. It's going to be very hard and rare to have another school opening anytime soon. Takes a lot of time for a school to get started (process), building its reputation, accreditation, and also getting known to the public.

There shouldn't be a school but if there is it should be in the South/Southeast like TX or LA or something.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think they plan on opening any time soon, but if there were to be another school to open another school it would be in the southwestern part of the central time zone in the USA. If I were to say a state range it would start off in Texas. They already have two schools in California,
There is 350 mile drive between Des Moines and Scholl, 380 mile drive between Scholl and Kent State. There is less than 100 miles between NYU and Temple's podiatry schools.

I remember someone posting an article from Fresno saying they were looking to open a podiatry school, but that was just some Dean who thought it would be a cool idea. Really if they were to add another podiatry school, California would be the last place they would put another school.

Like if you look at this map on the attachment and look at where there are no podiatry schools within a range I think Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, or Colorado would probably be the top 4 places for the geographical reason. There may be a wide range between a school and people from northern Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, but I bet those states maybe have a few applicants per year from that area. If they were to put another school a good idea would be to look at how many applicants are from the Texas to Arkansas range and if there is a high amount of applicants they would add it to one of those three states.

For example, for Baton Rogue, LA there is a 4hr flight (910 mile drive) to Barry, a 4hr 20min flight (1,450 mile drive) to Midwestern in Glendale, AZ, a 4hr flight (920 mile drive) to Des Moines, IA. Really I think it would be somewhere near Houston, Baton Rogue, Denver.

Again, I don't see them adding another podiatry school and IF they did they would do what Western University has done and have a small 30 student class. They have to get the residency placement up before they even come close to considering a new podiatry school.

Attachments

• Podiatry Schools USA.jpg
    Podiatry Schools USA.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 114
I don't think they plan on opening any time soon, but if there were to be another school to open another school it would be in the southwestern part of the central time zone in the USA. If I were to say a state range it would start off in Texas. They already have two schools in California,
There is 350 mile drive between Des Moines and Scholl, 380 mile drive between Scholl and Kent State. There is less than 100 miles between NYU and Temple's podiatry schools.

I remember someone posting an article from Fresno saying they were looking to open a podiatry school, but that was just some Dean who thought it would be a cool idea. Really if they were to add another podiatry school, California would be the last place they would put another school.

Like if you look at this map on the attachment and look at where there are no podiatry schools within a range I think Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, or Colorado would probably be the top 4 places for the geographical reason. There may be a wide range between a school and people from northern Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, but I bet those states maybe have a few applicants per year from that area. If they were to put another school a good idea would be to look at how many applicants are from the Texas to Arkansas range and if there is a high amount of applicants they would add it to one of those three states.

For example, for Baton Rogue, LA there is a 4hr flight (910 mile drive) to Barry, a 4hr 20min flight (1,450 mile drive) to Midwestern in Glendale, AZ, a 4hr flight (920 mile drive) to Des Moines, IA. Really I think it would be somewhere near Houston, Baton Rogue, Denver.

Again, I don't see them adding another podiatry school and IF they did they would do what Western University has done and have a small 30 student class. They have to get the residency placement up before they even come close to considering a new podiatry school.

Good analysis. I agree that Texas or Colorado would be wonderful places for the next podiatry school. Imagine if they added a school in Indiana, Nebraska, and Colorado. That would complete the whole line of podiatry schools from west to east coast. Wouldn't that be something?! And of course, Hawaii and Alaska would never be an option.

Dang. That's some thought but I would have to agree totally with you on all of it.

Obviously opening one within the next 5-8 years would be pretty crazy, and actually there'd be more benefit in having maybe even more restricted class sizes (maybe 10% less in every school) but got me thinking the other day where they'd put it. I could definitely see one opening in LA (like LSU or Tulane maybe) or maybe at the U of Houston. But when I think of it, I almost think that Oklahoma would be a more viable option than LA and maybe even Southern Texas. It'd probably be South or even maybe far North West like up in Seattle/Washington area.

Good post though man.

For me whenever I explain podiatry schools to friends, family, and friends of the family they first have no clue it is a medical school and then ask where they are and when I say there are only 9 schools they were shocked. Then when I explain where the 9 are they are all confused as to how the three western schools are isolated very close to each other, then all the other schools except Barry are relatively close together.

I am from Michigan and people say stuff like "But there aren't any in-state?" thinking it is like MD school. For me, I have 5 podiatry schools that are within 650 miles of driving from where I live and each is an hour and 40 minute flight or less. Then when I compare it to living in south Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Washington, parts of Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota are each areas where they each have at best just ONE podiatry school within 700 miles of a drive from where they live.

Location choices isn't amazing for podiatry, but I think for the profession it is best to keep it at 650 students per class. Another way the AACPM may eventually look at where to add a school in the 2020s if they do ever think they need one more school they may also take a look at the Bureau of Labor Services and notice that in the 4 states with the highest amount of Podiatrists (http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291081.htm) they each have a podiatry school: New York, California, Florida, and Ohio. Then Texas comes in at 5th, but don't have a podiatry school. Then 6th and 7th are Pennsylvania and Illinois, which each have a podiatry school. There are 10 states that had at least 300 employed podiatrist in their state and only Texas, New Jersey, and Michigan are the ones on that list that don't have a podiatry school inside the state. But like I said, it would be dumb to put a podiatry school in Michigan because there are already enough podiatry schools within a 2 hour flight from the three counties that consist of OVER 50% of employed podiatrist in the entire state. Then for New Jersey, Temple and NYU are maybe a two hour drive maximum from two different podiatry schools.

Like even when you take a look at the BLS.gov image of Employment by Area, there aren't many areas that actually have 30+ podiatrist in that area and many of the places with more than 100 podiatrist in employment are located relatively close to the podiatry school nearby, but again most of the schools are located in some of the more populated cities inside their own state. This could possibly be a reason why Colorado, Oklahoma, or Arkansas may not get a school because according to BLS.gov each of these states had 40 or less employed podiatrist in 2013.

In addition they may go away from the Kent State podiatry school way and find a school that already has a DO school so they wouldn't have to hire a whole new set of professors for the first two years of the medical program. That is what they did with Midwestern, they just added it to the DO program. So right now I think it is Midwestern, Western (CA), and Des Moines are the ones that are affiliated with the DO program. This is my basic statistical and demographic analysis on podiatry schools.

Last edited:
The concept of opening up a school in Texas would be particularly interesting given their tradition of keeping medical schools' admission separate from national application services (excepting Baylor medical school). I wonder if the application service would still be administered by AACPMAS or if it would be absorbed into TMDSAS (the latter would probably be better and possibly open up some state funds for them, which could help keep tuition low).

Wow, the amount of thought that you all are putting into this is not normal. You do all realize that if/when another podiatry school pops up it will not be placed strategically based upon geography, it will be based upon which university has a podiatrist that wants to start a new school and has the facilities to do it at. While it's a nice mental exercise, I wouldn't put any stock in any of your conclusions. As you have all so nicely pointed out, the placement of the schools hasn't been logical thus far, and it likely isn't going to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
@hughesn2

Your post really got me looking into the density and location of podiatrists in this country and was shocked. In the statistics that show how few there actually are and how densely located most are (i.e. they tend to be majority in metropolitan areas of over 100k normally much larger).

Example such as LA. Most of LA is podiatry free while, mainly all of them are located in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Similarly could be said of other states.

@FootAndAnkle

I think the biggest thing about a Texas school is that you're right they may very well try to fill up the class with mostly Texan residents, LA/AR/OK residents and offer cheaper tuition. They have that now in most medical schools where of it borders Texas you can normally get resident tuition. I wonder what states produce the most podiatrists?

Yeah I was bored and wanted to take a break from studying for the MCAT.

And I think New York has the highest amount of employed podiatrist (according to BLS) and then California and in both states just a small section of the entire state contains probably half the employed podiatrist, but are the two most populated cities in the nation. It is similar with Illinois, where the Chicago area contains over 75% of the podiatrist in the entire state.

Last edited:
i doubt it would be LA, western is like 45 mins from downtown LA. just a thought

i doubt it would be LA, western is like 45 mins from downtown LA. just a thought

LA as in Louisiana.

Yeah I was bored and wanted to take a break from studying for the MCAT.

And I think New York has the highest amount of employed podiatrist (according to BLS) and then California and in both states just a small section of the entire state contains probably half the employed podiatrist, but are the two most populated cities in the nation. It is similar with Illinois, where the Chicago area contains over 75% of the podiatrist in the entire state.

In your opinion, is that indicative of how big of a patient base you need to be a successful podiatrist or is there an unmet need throughout the nation?

Well I am just a pre-pod student, but I would say you don't need an excessively large market to be a successful podiatrist. I come from an area where there are only 40,000 in population (about 12,000 households & 10,000 families). There is only one city that has a higher population within 10 miles of his office.

He is the only podiatrist in SE Michigan (which accounts for 30% of the state's population) that is board certified to do surgery in his own practice office. He has two other podiatrist in his office and does surgery at a hospital less than 5 minutes from his office on Wednesdays and Fridays. Every day I have shadowed him he is going from patient to patient. Obviously he has some slow days and some days he is slammed. With the baby boomers increasing in age there will be a need for podiatrists.

1. I've heard it said a podiatrist needs a population of about 20,000 to support a strong practice (no idea if that holds in practice).

2. I'm not sure what board certifies podiatrists to do surgery in their office. Do you mean he has a certified surgery suite in his office? Or is there a surgical board that certifies doctors for in-office surgeries? If there is a surgical board that has such a certification, I'm not sure how much stock I would put in their certification.

I must have not added that part and just jumped straight to the next topic. Yeah, he does have a surgery room in his office and he told me he is the only podiatrist that has been able to do that in his office. From what he told me is:

Last edited:
Ok, that make more sense. Having an accredited surgical suite is different that being board certified to do surgery in your office. There are a lot of doctors who do surgeries (minor procedures) in their office, but most are not accredited.

I must have not added that part and just jumped straight to the next topic. Yeah, he does have a surgery room in his office.......

You should edit your post as the podiatrist and clinic you shadowed was compromised from the information you gave. Please keep them confidential as I'm sure they would appreciate it also.

Last edited:
I think that one will be opened up in Texas before anywhere else.