Where to begin?

ODDream

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a prospective OD student and have been doing some research on schools and what not but its not till recently that a friend of mine pointed me here..........thank GOD!

Anyways I have so many questions; I have been reading a lot of the previous posts and am getting mixed ideas.

1) First I thought the OAT was a standardized exam that was only offered in Oct. and Feb. but I am hearing that you can write the exam at anytime now, is this true? and whats this I hear about online exams now?

2) Also is there a timeline or study guide for planning my studying for the OAT, if so where can I get it from (for ex. MCAT 10week study prep) and which books would you recommend for the OAT where can I buy them and which books do you find to be the most helpful for your dollar. P.S. I have heard buying the MCAT books from Examcrackers are better that OAT books is this true?

Thanks for your help in advance.....

Members don't see this ad.

The OAT has just switched to the computerized version (similar to DAT) and the last paper exam will be offered in October, I believe. So you will still have to schedule the exam at a testing center, but you have more dates to choose from.

I really liked the Kaplan materials to study and the TopScore CD, although the TopScore has gotten mixed reviews here. I would give yourself at least a few months of prep to cover all the OAT topics, but that also depends on how strong you are already. Consider doing a practice exam as a diagnostic to see where you need to improve.

Good luck!

ODDream said:
Hi everyone, I am a prospective OD student and have been doing some research on schools and what not but its not till recently that a friend of mine pointed me here..........thank GOD!

Anyways I have so many questions; I have been reading a lot of the previous posts and am getting mixed ideas.

1) First I thought the OAT was a standardized exam that was only offered in Oct. and Feb. but I am hearing that you can write the exam at anytime now, is this true? and whats this I hear about online exams now?

2) Also is there a timeline or study guide for planning my studying for the OAT, if so where can I get it from (for ex. MCAT 10week study prep) and which books would you recommend for the OAT where can I buy them and which books do you find to be the most helpful for your dollar. P.S. I have heard buying the MCAT books from Examcrackers are better that OAT books is this true?

Thanks for your help in advance.....
You can write the exam? u meant take the exam? If u meant taking the exam, then it is true. you can take the exam anytime u want. Online exams? I dont know about those. Can you afford 1000dollars? if u do, take the Kaplan course.

Thanks for the replys guys................well as far the written exam coming up this Oct. what do you have to do to get registared for it ( Do i go to the site where i write the exam or reg. online and when should i do this) Also lets say i am ready before Oct can i write it before (say online) and let say i do bad on it can i take it after Oct again. Also how much money am i looking at for taking these exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
ODDream said:
Thanks for the replys guys................well as far the written exam coming up this Oct. what do you have to do to get registared for it ( Do i go to the site where i write the exam or reg. online and when should i do this) Also lets say i am ready before Oct can i write it before (say online) and let say i do bad on it can i take it after Oct again. Also how much money am i looking at for taking these exams?

you might find this site to be helpful: http://www.opted.org/info_oat.cfm

i don't know if you can switch the format of the test once you register for it (ie, register for the written one in oct then change your mind to take an earlier computer one). i do know that there is a 3 months (or 90 days) waiting period between tests (so if you take it in oct, you'll have to wait till 3 months later to take the next one), so you should plan accordingly. i believe the computerized oat is $185 to take, and the paper one is $135.

for more info on the OAT, take a look at this document, which pretty much covers all the details : https://www.ada.org/oat/OAT_Guide.doc

good luck

Hey thanks for your input, yeah i looked at the site and it as cleared up a lot....but the main question now is it better to take the paper or the compter exam are there any advantages/disadvantages to goin one way....also what books should i buy to study for the oat? and if u reg for the oct one and dont do as well as u like on it can u retake it in feb and submit that mark to the schools?

jcaco said:
you might find this site to be helpful: http://www.opted.org/info_oat.cfm

i don't know if you can switch the format of the test once you register for it (ie, register for the written one in oct then change your mind to take an earlier computer one). i do know that there is a 3 months (or 90 days) waiting period between tests (so if you take it in oct, you'll have to wait till 3 months later to take the next one), so you should plan accordingly. i believe the computerized oat is $185 to take, and the paper one is $135.

for more info on the OAT, take a look at this document, which pretty much covers all the details : https://www.ada.org/oat/OAT_Guide.doc

good luck

ODDream said:
Hey thanks for your input, yeah i looked at the site and it as cleared up a lot....but the main question now is it better to take the paper or the compter exam are there any advantages/disadvantages to goin one way....also what books should i buy to study for the oat? and if u reg for the oct one and dont do as well as u like on it can u retake it in feb and submit that mark to the schools?

i think you need to decide for yourself if the paper or the computer format is better for you. if you search the forum, you will find many threads that discussed the pros/cons of each (ie: paper is better for RC, computer lets you have your score on the same day, etc). but remember that oct 2005 is the last time the paper format will be offered.

i personally studied with the kaplan material, and it was great. i know people on the board have studied with the topscore and have had good experience with it as well...but i don't know anything about it.

look at the optometry school profile to see the the last test date accepted for each school. before the computer format was introduced, *most* of the schools accepted the feb test date score. now that there's the computer format, i know the schools have changed (or come up with a new one) the last date that you can take the test. it might just be easier to call/email the schools individually and ask.