Where is subspecialty training in cardiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carDiO

serving
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have to say that there is a lot of info on this site about anything you may have questions about. WOW. However, I have done a search and turned up no answer to this question. Let me know if there is a better way to search. I am not meaning to drag up a topic that has already be discussed ad nauseum.

Here goes:

If a hospital/university has a cardiovascular disease fellowship program, will they also have traning programs for clinical cardiac electrophysiology, interventional cardiology, etc.? I have looked at several of the cardiovascular disease websites and haven't found whether or not they have training available in these other areas.

Rephrased:

So will ALL facilities with a cardiovascular disease fellowship have the subspecialties too, or just certain ones. If only certain ones, which ones?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.....is anybody there?......................... [cricket, cricket]

As a general rule, programs that have Cardiology/Cardiovascular Disease (same thing) fellowships will have the subspecialty fellowship tracks like EP, Intervention, Non-Invasive, Heart Failure. However, this isn't true everywhere. For example, here at Parkland, while we have EP, we don't have Interventional Cardiology as a fellowship -- obviously, we have staff, but not an accredited fellowship. This is a function of #s -- you need the caseload to generate volume to generate #s for accreditation.
We have Heart Failure, but not non-invasive (imaging) but that's a function of the logistics of the general Cards fellowship and how faculty are allocated (also an accreditation issue) and for actual payment of fees to say "we have a non-invasive fellowship".

The best thing to do is call an individual program that you are interested in and ask.

Hope this helps. PM me or post if other questions.

FREIDA website search for fellowships will be helpful in ascertaining the info you desire.