where in India is everyone from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pretiwoman said:
hey...i`m from goa!!!!!!!!!!

are you by any chance konkani?

Members don't see this ad.

HEY SUNNY123,
COUNT ME IN!AMI BANGALI!BABA AAR MA KOLKATA THEKE,KINTU AAMAR JONMO EKHANE! :)
sunny123 said:
Hey.. just call me Raj Kumar :D

Oh, and PublicEnemy, parents are from Calcutta as well (can't beat those rasogollas, except, I need to squeeze the syrup before I eat those sweets).

^ Bhalo khobor (that means good news ppl :laugh: ) !

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I'm further north of Buffalo.... in the Greater Toronto Area (Canada).

alright, as always, am i the only kashmiri in da house?

^ actually, the owner of Mr.Bombay (an Indian Resturant down the street) is from Kashmir.... I'll get him to say whaddup to ya ;) :laugh:

On a more serious note, have you ever stayed in a houseboat in Kashmir's Dal Lake?

nope, never spent a night on a houseboat...b/c i lived in a house in srinagar. but i have been inside a houseboat for an engagement party of one of my aunts back in the 80's. i left that place once all the terrorism started...was pretty young, only 10.

sunny123 said:
^ actually, the owner of Mr.Bombay (an Indian Resturant down the street) is from Kashmir.... I'll get him to say whaddup to ya ;) :laugh:

On a more serious note, have you ever stayed in a houseboat in Kashmir's Dal Lake?

hi guys,
im from delhi.studied in Amritsar.cool Indian thread. :thumbup: im presently in Vancouver hoping to get into a US college soon :)

sunny123 said:
..........In Calcutta, specifically the area of Salt Lake, the whole area is based on water tank numbers (which is totally weird)..............

I don't think so. Either, you travelled too many times in those public buses or, in ricksaws. Salt Lake is the only part of Kolkata that is scientifically divided into Sectors and Blocks. Bujhlen Bhai.

Obviously I am from Kolkata.....the highest concentration of highly sensitive and cultured intellectuals on the planet earth.

And please for Pete's sake never squeeze a rosogolla! :)

This is a great thread.

Thanks,

rahmed

I prefer Ras-malai- The squeezed rosogolla with sweet cream on it! :hardy:

DrGarfield said:
I prefer Ras-malai- The squeezed rosogolla with sweet cream on it! :hardy:

Authentic Rosomalai is freshly made Rosogolla (sans sugar syrup and not squeezed) boiled in Milk.....low heat/slow cook for a longtime. Very rarely you encounter nice Rosomalai! :)

rahmed

Members don't see this ad :)
rahmed said:
I don't think so. Either, you travelled too many times in those public buses or, in ricksaws. Salt Lake is the only part of Kolkata that is scientifically divided into Sectors and Blocks. Bujhlen Bhai.

Obviously I am from Kolkata.....the highest concentration of highly sensitive and cultured intellectuals on the planet earth.

And please for Pete's sake never squeeze a rosogolla! :)

This is a great thread.

Thanks,

rahmed
What does me travelling in a bus or rickshaw have anything to do with me noticing tank numbers posted in Salt Lake?? I may not be from Salt Lake, but that is where we stay whenever we visit India, and all the directions are based upon where such and such place is close to what number tank.

And I'll squeeze the rasogolla if I want to. Bujhlen Bhai. :)

YA RIGHT !RAHMED! :cool:
rahmed said:

And please for Pete's sake never squeeze a rosogolla! :) :laugh:

This is a great thread.

Thanks,

rahmed

^ these days I'm studying for my last exam in icthyology (fish bio). But even still I'm working on applications like a pagal :laugh: . How about yourself prady?

hey sunny123,
yet 2 get into a school ,this yr.!looks like no hopes!planning to retake my part 1!hope it works out 4 me this time! :laugh: all d best 2 u dude! :thumbup:
sunny123 said:
^ these days I'm studying for my last exam in icthyology (fish bio). But even still I'm working on applications like a pagal :laugh: . How about yourself prady?

DrGarfield said:
Find out just what it is like to have a Tamilian Girlfriend:

* Her mother looks down at you because you didn't pass out from Anna
University/Loyola.
* Her father starts every conversation with `I say...'
* She shudders if you use four letter words.
* She shudders when you eat eggs.
* Eat non-veg, and she'll throw up on your face.
* She has long hair, neatly braided.
* She uses the word `Super' as her only superlative.
* Her name is another name for a Goddess or a flower.
* Her first name is longer than your first name, middle name and
surname combined.
* She seduced you. And then told all her cousins.
* When she mixes milk and rice you are never sure whether it is for
the Dog or for herself.
* On weddings she sports a mini jasmine garden on her head and wears
silk saris in Madras heat without looking too uncomfortable while you
are melting in your singlet.
* She thinks Arvind Swami is the sexiest man alive.
* Her favourite cricketer is Kris Srikkant.
* Her favourite food is dosa though she has tried `North Indian snacks
like Chats (pronounced like the slang for conversation)'
* She doesn't mind if you wear white trousers with contrasting
undergarments.
* She bursts into song with her cousins in every movie. She bores you
by telling you which raaga each song you hear is based on.
* You don't have to give her jewelry, she'll be happy if you got her
flowers instead.
* She is more educated than you.
* Her father thinks she is much smarter than you.
* And he is probably right.

:D :D :D Nice take on TamBrahms. At times these Tambrahms can really get on ur nerves. I remember one slogan we used to tease my tambrahm friends when in was in school, it went something like "lungi hatao, pungi bajao"

DrGarfield said:
I have been to it all! almost the whole of India except the North-eastern part!

I went Kashmir full fledge when i was 5 yrs!! ha ha There was no terrorism then!

Simla, Kulu, Manali- I´ve been twice. simla is lately losing it´s beauty a little due to the huge tourist pressure and population- Manali has also changed a lot in last 5 years- and expanded like hell, but still it is more beautiful of both the places.

I went Jammu and Vaishnodevi before 4 years-almost. it´s a nice place to be, religiously and beautiful too!

The Best according to me was Darjeeling! that place is more Preserved than the others. The Tiger hills and Gangtok are a good cruise from Darjeeling!

Anyone heard of this place called nainital? It's like near the nepal/india border. I was there many years ago. Apparently because of the riots etc, we weren't allowed any further into kashmir. It was a beautiful place.

Tinker Creek said:
Anyone heard of this place called nainital? It's like near the nepal/india border. I was there many years ago. Apparently because of the riots etc, we weren't allowed any further into kashmir. It was a beautiful place.

Umm...Nainital is a hill-station in a valley surrounding a beautiful lake....in UTTAR PRADESH....near Almora and ranikhet....Its beautiful...i loved the boat rides....and they specialize in candles....and the flowers their are beautiful too....and the monekkys are notorious for stealing food....and waking people up by jumping on the tin roofs early in the morning....also most of the time you can see the mist over the lake...its gorgeous...so you went there..ok...but weren't allowed further into kashmir?...from UP?
or are you mixing nainital with some other place?
although...i must say that its true...even normally...all parts of J & K are not accessible to civilians...but thats for your own safety...but you can make it to leh-ladakh....and that is just beyond imagination....it is beautiful....alot of foreign travellers make it there...you can see them biking up and down the hills...mostly down the hill though!! :laugh:
But there are alot of buddhist temples to go to...interesting people and very diff. lifestyle....the silver jewellry in their markets drove me crazy.... but be careful...i got a serious allergy to some flower pollen while i was there...that sucked!!

saffronrain said:
are you by any chance konkani?

yep......i`m a konkani......y do u ask???? any relation to goa????

pretiwoman said:
yep......i`m a konkani......y do u ask???? any relation to goa????

hmm.. not too sure, but i'm konkani myself! "HONK IF YOU'RE KONK!!" haha :laugh: i think most of our relatives are in mangalore, calicut, and those places down in kerala. do you speak it?? we do at home. very cool! :cool:

shardul said:
Johnny Walker was another comedian who had long distinuished career as a comedian in Hindi movies. I personally have seen his Pyasa, Madhumati, Naya Daur and Chachi 420 (released in 1998). Though his career spanned nearly half a century majority of his movies are from 50's and 60's. I think he is no more now probably he died 2-3 years ago. I personally remeber him for his song "champi Malish" from film Pyasa (One of Guru Dutt's classics and my personal favourite).

As far as Johnny Liver is concerned I love some of his jokes. I also have some of his audio cassettes. Recently a week ago i have seen him perform live at GMC's college festival called Astitva 2005 where he was judge for many of intercollege cultural competiotions.

Hey shadul! where r u from man!!!!! I am glad there is a mumbaikar on this forum...... where r u from boy ????? TN LT or GS?????

saffronrain said:
hmm.. not too sure, but i'm konkani myself! "HONK IF YOU'RE KONK!!" haha :laugh: i think most of our relatives are in mangalore, calicut, and those places down in kerala. do you speak it?? we do at home. very cool! :cool:
OMG.. that line is priceless Swetha!! :laugh:

I'm gonna start saying that :p

honk if you're konk :laugh:

saffronrain said:

that really is funny........so r we the only ones honking??? any more konks??? anyone else from goa???

pretiwoman said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thats typical christian goan konkani..... but if u r trying to impress someone, like people with ancestors in mangalore, their konkani is a lot different......so good luck on that
one ............ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know it is pretty rough. How did I use Christian goan konkani :eek:

Did not impress me either

Yeah, how'd you know what the difference between a christian and non-christian konk language was?

sunny123 said:
Yeah, how'd you know what the difference between a christian and non-christian konk language was?

its pretty much simple at that.....if u had visited goa u`d know...... the hindu konkani is totally different from what the christians speak. ok...... how do i explain this?????.....basically its the accent, & the way the words r twisted..... its like the difference bet the autralian english & the US english.... god!!!!!!!!! sorry... i`m not good at explaining things........... :(

pretiwoman said:
its pretty much simple at that.....if u had visited goa u`d know...... the hindu konkani is totally different from what the christians speak. ok...... how do i explain this?????.....basically its the accent, & the way the words r twisted..... its like the difference bet the autralian english & the US english.... god!!!!!!!!! sorry... i`m not good at explaining things........... :(

she's right.. it's hard to explain unless you're a kool konkani kid like we are. hahaha :p oh sid, you amuse me so! :laugh:
sometimes i'm afraid i'll be posting something and one of my relatives back in india will be reading it and replying, not knowing that...well...we're related. that would be the weirdest thing in the world. :eek:
too bad we don't have a script for it.. :(

saffronrain said:
she's right.. it's hard to explain unless you're a kool konkani kid like we are. hahaha :p oh sid, you amuse me so! :laugh:
sometimes i'm afraid i'll be posting something and one of my relatives back in india will be reading it and replying, not knowing that...well...we're related. that would be the weirdest thing in the world. :eek:
too bad we don't have a script for it.. :(

hey kool konk kid (k3), which part of goa r ur ancestors from????
& this is sad.....arent there any more konks around????? no one from goa?????? man.... r we unique or what???? zara hatke ;)

allergic2morons said:
Hey shadul! where r u from man!!!!! I am glad there is a mumbaikar on this forum...... where r u from boy ????? TN LT or GS?????

I am from TN!!!!!! Where r u from........?????

allergic2morons said:
Where else????? can u guess????

hey c'mon dont be so secretive! do we know each other? which suburbs do u live in central/western/harbour?

pretiwoman said:
hey kool konk kid (k3), which part of goa r ur ancestors from????
& this is sad.....arent there any more konks around????? no one from goa?????? man.... r we unique or what???? zara hatke ;)

hmm not too sure about where exactly my ancestors are from! :confused: sorry. yeah... there has to be more ppl from goa. come on kids! holla at yo kkk's! ;) :D

I read somewhere that Konkanis in the US make it a point to meet every year.

The CEO of Infosys is a Konkani !

Nandan Nilekani

Premedtomed said:

Nandan Nilekani
yep....even bunts of mangalore make it a point to meet every year.......like aishwarya rai......sunil shetty...shilpa shetty......they met last year.......very close to KMC.......all guys bunked the postings........

pretiwoman said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thats typical christian goan konkani..... but if u r trying to impress someone, like people with ancestors in mangalore, their konkani is a lot different......so good luck on that
one ............ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I love the way mangalorean christians speak konkani.....the tone is somewhat punjabi.....

hey meeta,i know ur from kmc,but r u a mangalorean,too?well just asked! :laugh: :smuggrin: hai.............. ash!
meetlife said:
yep....even bunts of mangalore make it a point to meet every year.......like aishwarya rai......sunil shetty...shilpa shetty......they met last year.......very close to KMC.......all guys bunked the postings........

prady said:
hey meeta,i know ur from kmc,but r u a mangalorean,too?well just asked! :laugh: :smuggrin: hai.............. ash!
nope.....I am a punjabi......see you never paid any attention to me........ :mad:

Premedtomed said:

Nandan Nilekani

yeah they do, my fam and i just keep a huuuge distance between us and all that. -- it's all just gossip anyway. mad waste of time. i went to ONE in my entire life- it was this picnic and oddly enough i felt as though i didn't fit in. like you'd think their priorities lie in preserving their konkani identities... well def not. i was the only young adult there who spoke konkani at home, the rest were all "americanized".. it was such a hypocritical situation.. hard to explain any further.
i didn't know the CEO of infosys was konk. very cool.

* A.V.Baliga -- Distinguished Surgeon and Philanthropist
* Ammembal Dinakar Rao -- (1909-1990) Composer of Hindustani Classical Music
* Ammembal Subba Rao Pai -- Educationist, Philanthropist, and founder of Canara Bank
* Ammambal V. Pai (Late)-- Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court and Chairman of Pai commission which established highest scale salary for teachers and clerks in India
* Anant Nag
* Anuradha Paudwal
* Arvind Savoor -- Acclaimed Billiards player
* Asha Bhonsle
* B.B. Borkar (Baki Borkar)-- Poet in Konkani. Well known in Marathi as well.
* B.V. Nadkarni
* Bal Mundkur -- Creative advertisement guru
* Basti Vaman Shenoy -- President of All India Konkani Parishad; organized world Konkani conference(1995) and All India Saraswat Conference
* Benegal Narasimha Rao
* Benegal Rama Rao
* Bidaram Krishnappa-- Karnataka vocalist court musician of Mysore
* Bhadragiri Achyut Das-- Outstanding Keertankar
* Bhadragiri KeshavDas (Late) -- Outstanding Keertankar
* Cha.Fra.D'Costa -- Distinguished poet
* Chandrabharga Devi(Late)-- Bharatyanatyam dancer. Daughter of Padukone Ramananda Rao, well known essayist and humor writer in Kannada. He was the Professor of English and translated many English classics into Kannada.
* Chandrakala S.Kamat -- Novelist in Malayalam, one of her novels Rugma (with Konkani themes),was also made into a malayalam movie with the same name.
* Chandrakant Kini -- Short story writer in Konkani
* Chidanand Nagarkar
* D.R. Mankekar (Late) -- Writer and Political commentator
* Damodar Chittal -- Leading advocaet and worked for Konkani revival known for organizing capacity
* Damodar Mavjo Goa -- Central Sahitya Academy Award winner for his Konkani novel Carmelin
* Damodar B.Kosambi -- Historian,Mathematician and great thinker
* Dayanand Nadkarni -- Freedom Fighter, and right hand man of Dinkar Desai
* Devendra Murdeshwar
* Dinakar Desai -- Educationist, poet and environmentalist
* Dinkar Kaikini
* Durga Khote -- First lady of Indian silver screen. Acted with all distinguished actors of the country of her time
* Eric Ozario -- Heads Karnataka Konkani Academy. Runs a cultural organization " Sohan Mand"
* G.N. Kundaje
* Gangadhar Chittal -- Frontline modern poet in Kannada
* George Fernandes
* George M Moraes (Late) -- Distinguished historian, authority on history of Christianity in India
* Girish Karnad
* Gourish Kaikini -- Sanskrit and Kannada scholar of Gokarn
* Gurudutt P. -- Well known cinema artist who died in the 1967
* H. Taranath Rao
* H.V.Kamath (Late) -- Outstanding parliamentarian, gave up a cushy job to follow freedom struggle was a household name in Hoshangabad (Madhya Pradesh) from where he contested
* Haldipur -- Governor of Nagaland
* Hari Sharma A.D. -- noted Malayalam litterateur
* Hema Naik -- Konkani novelist and poet
* Hiriyadka Ramaraya Mallya -- freedom fighter of India
* Isha Koppikar
* Jayant Kaikini -- Writer, T.V.anchor, poet (Kannada)
* Jayanti Naik -- Editor of several collections of folk songs of Goa
* Jeppu Satish Rao
* Jitendra Abhisheki
* Joachim Alva -- Representative for North Kanara (Father-in-law of Margaret Alva)
* K.K. Pai -- Chairman of Manipal Educational Institutions and President of T.M.A. Pai Foundation
* K.N.Pai (Late)-- Distinguished surgeon at Sri Chitira Thirunal Hospital at Trivandrum.
* Kalpana Lajmi -- Film maker
* Kamaladevi Chattopadhaya
* Kasturi Mohan Pai -- Cardiologist, Educationalist
* Karnad Sadashiv Rao
* Kausalya Manjeshwar
* Kogga Kamath, a puppeteer enacting Yakshagna through puppets.
* Krishna Kalle -- playback singer
* Kusuma Sorab -- Environmentalist and Social worker
* Lalith Rao -- Hindustani musician. First lady engineer in India who did doctorate
* Lalita Lajmi -- Painter and Film Maker (mother of Kalpana Lajmi)
* Lalita Shivram Ubhaykar -- Hindustani Vocalist
* Lata Mangeshkar
* Leena Chandavarkar
* M. Govind Pai
* M.R. Pai -- Champion of consumerism in India
* M.N. Kamath --(1883-1940): Pioneer in starting Kannada journal in South Kanara; wrote devotional songs and lyrics and song stories, popular teacher
* M.V.Kamath -- popular columnist and a former editor of Illustrated Weekly of India
* M.V. Nadkarni -- Distinguished economist and founder, Vice Chancellor of Gulbarga University and Director of Center for Socio Economic field
* Mohan Nadkarni -- Music critic and music consultant with Times of India
* Murli Manohar Shukla
* M.R.Telang -- (1859-1949): Musician,painter and sanskrit scolar.Staunch Congressman and freedom fighter.Donated his huge library to kumta college
* Mahabaleshwar Sail -- Konkani Novelist and Central Academy Award winner
* Manohar Malgaonkar -- Distinguished Indo- Anglian writer
* Manohar Rai Sardesai -- Konkani Poet
* Margaret Alva -- Political leader
* Mario Miranda -- Popular Cartoonist
* Maya Balse -- Writer and Columnnist
* Maya Kamath -- Lady cartoonist of international fame

* N. Purushottam Mallaya -President of Kerala Konkani Sahitya Parishad and author
* Na. D'Souza -- Kannada writer
* Nagesh Sonde -- (Mumbai)Profound scholar of Sanskrit, Marathi and Konkani languages, has translated several Sanskrit classics in Konkanis and written history of Konkani language
* Nalkur Shripad Rao -- Industrialist, Founder of PCI of India (Pest Control of India)
* Nandan Kagal (Late) -- Writer and Political commentator quite familiar to English readers in 1960-1970's
* Nandan Nilekini -- Co-founder and currently CEO of Infosys
* Narayan Ganesh Chandavarkar -- President of Indian National Congress in 1900, author of "Saraswat Families" a book dealing with family history, collected Konkani sayings, idioms and lullabies. First Indian High Court Judge and Diwan of Indore State.
* Nath Pai -- Freedom Fighter and socialist leader
* Nityanand Haldipur
* Olivino J F Gomes -- Professor of Konkani Goa University, established researcher on origin and development of Konkani language
* Omkar Gulvady
* P.L. Deshpande (Late)-- Distinguished writer,playwright, essayist in Marathi (Pu. La. Deshpande)
* Padma Hejmady D'souza --Well known novelist and columnist
* Panje Mangesh Rao
* Pandit Taranath (Late)-- Physician, freedom fighter, writer, Musician
* Prakash Padukone -- Badminton player who won All England Championship
* Pundalik Nai -- President Goa Konkani Sahitya academy distinguished playwright and poet
* Purushottam Mangesh La -- Scholar of Sanskrit, Pali and Marathi languages
* Puttur Narasimha Nayak -- Sevotional singer in Kannada,Konkani, and Tulu languages
* R.N. Saletore -- Historian and Researcher
* Rajani Pai --Wife of Dr. S. Ashok Pai (husband and wife team of Shimoga
* Rajeev Taranath -- Great Sarod Artist, Writer and Polyglot
* Ramachandra Sharma -- Vedic scholar who wrote grammar of Samaveda
* Ramdas Kamat
* Ramesh Rao (Late) -- National Professor of zoology and Researcher of international fame
* Rangappa Kamat (Late) --Established chain of restaurants in India (Kamat Group of Hotels)
* Ravi Bellare
* Renjal Gopalakrishna Shenoy, celebrated fine artist and sculptor
* Ramakrishna Gopal Bhandarkar --(1893-1924):Great Sanskrit scholar, member of German Oriental Society honored by Doctorate of Gottingen University
* Ravindra Kelka-- Konkani poet, writer and central Academy Award winner (Goa)
* S. Ashok Pai -- Noted psychiatrist and social worker. Runs 'Manasa' institute for the mentally challenged. His movie "Kadina Benki" won him national and state award
* S.C.R. Bhat
* S.M.Krishna Rao-- Kannada and Konkani writer, has translated several works in both languages
* S.P.Acharya-- Founder of Acharya Chemicals; Sole producer of Tetracycline and other chemicals
* S.S. Talmaki -- Foremost leader in India in Co-operative Society movement/ Founder of first Co-op Housing Society in the whole of Asia
* S.V. Pikle -- Industrialist
* Sadanand Naimpalli
* Sadyojata Shankarashram Swamiji of Chitrapur Math --Spiritual head of Konkani speaking community
* Sandhya Pai -- Editor of Taranga group of periodicals
* Santosh Kumar Gulvady -- Writer and a former editor of Taranga weekly
* Sashi Bellare
* Seshagiri Prabhu -- credited with writing the modern grammar of Malayalam titled "Sahitya Kushala"
* Shamrao Vitthal Kaikini -- Founder of first Co-operative bank in India
* Shankar Nag
* Shankar Rao Gulvadi -- Outstanding Keertankar
* Shashikala Manjeshwar
* Sheshgiri Narayan Keshwain -- Freedom fighter and social reformer of Sirsi who stopped animal sacrifices at Marikamba temple.
* Shyam Benegal -- Director of artistic movies such as Ankur, Bhumika, and series Bharat-Ek-Khoj.
* Soumitra M. Katre (Late) -- Internationally acclaimed authority in Linguistics
* Sudha Rao -- Vice chancellor of Karnataka State Open University Mysore
* Sudhindra Teerth Swamiji of Kashimath: Spiritual head of Konkani speaking community
* Suman Kalyanpur
* Suresh Prabhu -- Director of Saraswat Co-operative Bank Maharashtra, Served as a minister in A.B.Vajpayee's cabinet
* Suryanath Kamath
* Susheela Thombat (Susheela Rani Babu Rao Patel-- Cinema artist of 1940's and Renowned Hindustani Classical Singer
* Tara Chandavarkar -- Industrialist
* Timmappa Shrinivas Naik -- Gandhian an Freedom fighter
* Thuravoor Madhava Pai -- noted Malayalam litterateur
* Tonse Madhav Ananth Pai (T.M.A. Pai)
* Tonse Madhav Pai (T.M. Pai)
* T.V.R. Shenoy -- popular political columnist
* U.S.Krishna Rao (Late)--:Bharatanatyam dancer
* Uday Bhembre -- Ex-President Goa Sahitya Academy; distinguished writer
* Ullal Srinivas Mallya -- eminent Congressman and freedom fighter
* Upendra Bhat -- Vocalist, singer of Devotional and Hindustani classical music
* V.G. Karnad
* V.N.Kudva -- Author of well researched book on Dakshinatya Sarswats
* V.S.Sonde -- Chairman of Sirsi Urban Co-op Bank (Grandson of Keshwari, founder of Sirsi Urban Coop Bank)
* Vijay Mallya
* Vishnudas Shirali
* Vaman Rao Hodke -- Sarvodaya Leader and Freedom Fighter
* Vasudev Narasimha O'key -- (1917-1998) very talented artist and photographer who worked behind the scenes during India's freedom struggle and socialist movements. Many of the portraits of Indian leaders were in fact, were drawn by him.
* Vidyadhiraja Teerth Swamiji of Gokarn Partakali Math --Spiritual head of Konkani speaking community
* Vimala Patil -- Distinguished journalist, served over years as the editor of " Femina" fortnightly
* Violet Alwa -- : Editor of 'Forum' was a distinguished journalist (Mother-in-law of Margret Alva)
* Vitthal Rao Hodke-- Gandhian, Sarvodaya Leader and Freedom Fighter
* Vitthal Venkatesh Kamat -- Owner of Orchid chain of hotels in India and Europe. Author of "Idli, Orchid and Willpower"; popularized Idli in Europe
* Yashodhara Bhat -- Playwright and essayist; younger sister of Chandrabhaga Devi the dancer
* Yashwant Chittal -- Leading Kannada novelist and short story writer