where in India is everyone from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sunny123 said:
^ Did you just quote a line from Monsoon Wedding? :D
I love monsoon wedding.....

Members don't see this ad.

Glad you approve meet ;)

Too bad no one else uses it. I'm bringing Hinglish to a whole new level :laugh: . .

sunny123 said:
Glad you approve meet ;)

Too bad no one else uses it. I'm bringing Hinglish to a whole new level :laugh: . .
All the best sunny.... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Chandigarh.....THE CITY BEAUTIFUL.......
openhand.jpg
Open Hand Monument

gandhi.jpg
Gandhian studies at Punjab Univ.
chandigarh5.jpg
Sukhna Lake

nc09.gif
Rock Garden

sunny123 said:
Yeah, I'm headed for med (well I'm hoping to be somewhere this September). How bout you?

The whole scenario is pretty funny right now, I just don't wanna think about what will happen when the MD is placed after my name :D .

I'll graduate this august with a BS in Biochemistry..and then I'm headed to a pharm school...I know that for sure..but not sure which one exactly...i got into 4 schools... and they all have the good and the not so good things ...which I must evaluate throughly...after all its about the next 4 years of my life.. :) ..i sent the initial seat confirmation deposit to 3.... :rolleyes: i know..crazy..but i am going to see where i get more aid..well...coz pharm schools...are pricey... $ :eek: $ .... But you know about $pricey$ alright.... must have throughly researched med schools... I'm sure...

hey meetlife.... I m a chandigarh girl!! Thanx for the pics of the CIty Beautiful....Do you miss the sector 17 popcorn or what!..... love the place...
Oh..i lived in sector 35....<can you find so many restaurants in any other place??!!> I have such good fun <yummy> memories with my friends at the hotmillions....< don't you just love it when you are trying to have fun with frnds...and the indian aunties and uncles with their little toddlers...give you those dissapproving looks!!> :smuggrin:
ANyways...nice to meet you ... meet life.... So howz life going?!!

hopeful05 said:
hey meetlife.... I m a chandigarh girl!! Thanx for the pics of the CIty Beautiful....Do you miss the sector 17 popcorn or what!..... love the place...
Oh..i lived in sector 35....<can you find so many restaurants in any other place??!!> I have such good fun <yummy> memories with my friends at the hotmillions....< don't you just love it when you are trying to have fun with frnds...and the indian aunties and uncles with their little toddlers...give you those dissapproving looks!!> :smuggrin:
ANyways...nice to meet you ... meet life.... So howz life going?!!
Hi Hopeful I am so happy ..... :love: I am from sector-27.I miss hot millions,oven fresh......ghedi route......so much.....I miss sector-17 ...ice-creams in Jan.....I miss my morning walks to sukhna lake....GURUDWARA SAHIB for sector 34,8 and 19.I miss Chandigarh soooooooooooooooooooo much. :love: :love:

People, instead of feeling homesick or reading Sunny's comments (j/k :p ),

Let us try to make an effort to create India here in the West. A cultural bond, a desire to help make India better in any way possible. Let us be good ambassadors of India (unlike Sunny who eats too much junk food :p ) in any positive way possible.
I think we need to realize that migration from India will continue so we should try to network, form better organizations and have fun at the same time. That way we are making things easier for those who come here after us and also benefit from what they can bring to the table.
Unless we do something constructive, we are bound to feel empty. (Like Sunny who simply does nothing :p )

^ :laugh:

Any special reason why Chandigarh is divided up into sectors and not given names?

sunny123 said:

Any special reason why Chandigarh is divided up into sectors and not given names?
This helps people find places easily...unlike MG road.....this road..that road...

Premedtomed said:
People, instead of feeling homesick or reading Sunny's comments (j/k :p ),

Let us try to make an effort to create India here in the West. A cultural bond, a desire to help make India better in any way possible. Let us be good ambassadors of India (unlike Sunny who eats too much junk food :p ) in any positive way possible.
I think we need to realize that migration from India will continue so we should try to network, form better organizations and have fun at the same time. That way we are making things easier for those who come here after us and also benefit from what they can bring to the table.
Unless we do something constructive, we are bound to feel empty. (Like Sunny who simply does nothing :p )
U are making me fall in love with Sunny.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sunny123 said:

yup as meetlife said...its a lot easier with sectors!!
ALso...I think its one of the few.<.if not the only one.>..cities that was designed by an architect...its growth over the years has not been in a very planned manner...but the initial constuction was carried out with strict guidelines...older houses are pretty much all the same...and then formal divisions into sectors were made....

Did you know there is no sector 13!! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
drbask said:
hi this is vijay bhaskar reddy gaddam from NIZAMADAB in AP. My place is near to Hyderabad. I'l a dentist by graduation in India-K.V.G. Dental College and Hospital, Sullia, D.K, Karnataka.

hey, me from kvgdc too

meetlife said:
I miss hot millions,oven fresh......ghedi route......so much.....I miss sector-17 ...ice-creams in Jan.....I miss my morning walks to sukhna lake....

Ghedis...yeah... were fun in cars...I made the mistake of tagging along with a frnd in a kinetic once...Hmmm...bad idea...I felt so unsafe...especially when the guys start following u around-- and most of them... were not exactly eye candies.. :smuggrin: .. and the things some say...not cool...

premedtomed said:
Unless we do something constructive, we are bound to feel empty.

So meetlife shall we join Premedtomed's :cool: "organization" :cool: for a constuctive effort and devote ourselves to the cause of our fellow brothers...sisters...aunties.. and uncles :laugh: ...coz our lives are so meaningless right now ...and I do feel empty... Seriously...had chinese today :laugh:
No Premedtomed...i totally agree with you... I came here ..and had dreams of becoming something...I was willing to give it all and work hard...and an indian pharmacist helped me develop prespective of the field..and get some experience and understanding of it...everyone was helpful...and encouraging...and I know people who have helped us in other ways... I think thats just part of being indian...and it doesn;t matter if one is part of an organization or not....just in our day to day lives we can help people with something or the other... because little acts on our part can change someones life in a big way....!! ;)

premedtomed said:
Let us try to make an effort to create India here in the West.

I think we're half way there...But It's very discouraging to see whats actually become of it.... i don't think indians portray themselves and conduct themselves as well as they should..and can.. maybe most of this is not true about the younger generation...but still...its reality...How can we expect the respect and understanding of people from other cultures...when we don't reciprocate...? many people don't respect the new culture they walk into when they move here... like making stupid remarks about stuff like-- divorce rate.. dating ....drinking...pre-marital sex etc... whatever it is..it is their way of life...and we should honor it...and we'll get the same back...
yes? no? maybe?

meetlife said:
U are making me fall in love with Sunny.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
My my, I guess it's all due to Sunny's jadoo ;)

Thanks for the sector explanation meet and hopeful. In Calcutta, specifically the area of Salt Lake, the whole area is based on water tank numbers (which is totally weird).

And I agree with what you are saying hopeful, about indians not portraying themselves and conducting themselves as well as they should. But we can't really do anything except for setting a good example, and hoping others will follow.

hopeful05 said:
yup as meetlife said...its a lot easier with sectors!!
ALso...I think its one of the few.<.if not the only one.>..cities that was designed by an architect...its growth over the years has not been in a very planned manner...but the initial constuction was carried out with strict guidelines...older houses are pretty much all the same...and then formal divisions into sectors were made....

Did you know there is no sector 13!! :rolleyes:
Le Corbusier ..who designed Chandigarh was French.....

sunny123 said:
My my, I guess it's all due to Sunny's jadoo ;)

Thanks for the sector explanation meet and hopeful. In Calcutta, specifically the area of Salt Lake, the whole area is based on water tank numbers (which is totally weird).

And I agree with what you are saying hopeful, about indians not portraying themselves and conducting themselves as well as they should. But we can't really do anything except for setting a good example, and hoping others will follow.
I love Kolkatta.....I experienced metro there for the first time....I love planetariom,the bridge,sllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooowwww trams and the great Banyan.....

hopeful05 said:
Ghedis...yeah... were fun in cars...I made the mistake of tagging along with a frnd in a kinetic once...Hmmm...bad idea...I felt so unsafe...especially when the guys start following u around-- and most of them... were not exactly eye candies.. :smuggrin: .. and the things some say...not cool...

So meetlife shall we join Premedtomed's :cool: "organization" :cool: for a constuctive effort and devote ourselves to the cause of our fellow brothers...sisters...aunties.. and uncles :laugh: ...coz our lives are so meaningless right now ...and I do feel empty... Seriously...had chinese today :laugh:
No Premedtomed...i totally agree with you... I came here ..and had dreams of becoming something...I was willing to give it all and work hard...and an indian pharmacist helped me develop prespective of the field..and get some experience and understanding of it...everyone was helpful...and encouraging...and I know people who have helped us in other ways... I think thats just part of being indian...and it doesn;t matter if one is part of an organization or not....just in our day to day lives we can help people with something or the other... because little acts on our part can change someones life in a big way....!! ;)

I think we're half way there...But It's very discouraging to see whats actually become of it.... i don't think indians portray themselves and conduct themselves as well as they should..and can.. maybe most of this is not true about the younger generation...but still...its reality...How can we expect the respect and understanding of people from other cultures...when we don't reciprocate...? many people don't respect the new culture they walk into when they move here... like making stupid remarks about stuff like-- divorce rate.. dating ....drinking...pre-marital sex etc... whatever it is..it is their way of life...and we should honor it...and we'll get the same back...
yes? no? maybe?
Sure,hope......
we can work towards it....
Great Thoughts ,hope.... :thumbup:

meetlife said:
I love Kolkatta.....I experienced metro there for the first time....I love planetariom,the bridge,sllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooowwww trams and the great Banyan.....
The one thing I liked was their subway system. SUPER CLEAN!! :shock:

sunny123 said:
Ohh ok, then who is Johnny Walker?
Johnny Walker was another comedian who had long distinuished career as a comedian in Hindi movies. I personally have seen his Pyasa, Madhumati, Naya Daur and Chachi 420 (released in 1998). Though his career spanned nearly half a century majority of his movies are from 50's and 60's. I think he is no more now probably he died 2-3 years ago. I personally remeber him for his song "champi Malish" from film Pyasa (One of Guru Dutt's classics and my personal favourite).

As far as Johnny Liver is concerned I love some of his jokes. I also have some of his audio cassettes. Recently a week ago i have seen him perform live at GMC's college festival called Astitva 2005 where he was judge for many of intercollege cultural competiotions.

meetlife and sunny....glad you agree with parts of what i wrote...
meetlife...call me tina...the hopeful name i chose in a time when i was super-anxious and "hopeful" about getting into pharmschool this year....
AHhh!! kolkatta...the closest i've been to is eating their rosugulla's ...my friend would get them for me when she went there....
there is so much of india I wanted to see.... have been all over the north west, even the siachen glacier( went their during the kargil war in '99- my dad was in the army! posted at siachen!! was a one of a kind exp...part thrilling..part ..downright scary!!)...and the east guwahati..sikkim..etc...other than that went on a bangalore-mysore -ooty tour with friends in 9th (school trip)...that was fun...i really want to see whats beyond these places...
anyone been to rajasthan.... want to go there...too.. :( gosh there is still sooooo much i haven't seen...don't know what i was doing when i was in india... :sleep: :sleep: :laugh:

hopeful05 said:
meetlife and sunny....glad you agree with parts of what i wrote...
meetlife...call me tina...the hopeful name i chose in a time when i was super-anxious and "hopeful" about getting into pharmschool this year....
AHhh!! kolkatta...the closest i've been to is eating their rosugulla's ...my friend would get them for me when she went there....
there is so much of india I wanted to see.... have been all over the north west, even the siachen glacier( went their during the kargil war in '99- my dad was in the army! posted at siachen!! was a one of a kind exp...part thrilling..part ..downright scary!!)...and the east guwahati..sikkim..etc...other than that went on a bangalore-mysore -ooty tour with friends in 9th (school trip)...that was fun...i really want to see whats beyond these places...
anyone been to rajasthan.... want to go there...too.. :( gosh there is still sooooo much i haven't seen...don't know what i was doing when i was in india... :sleep: :sleep: :laugh:
Hi Tina,
I have not been to Rajasthan .....guess what??I went to the mall..there was this Rajsathani wrap arounf for $88. :scared: :scared: ...well u will get the same in India for $1 or 2.......
Hmmmnn..Siachen sounds fun.
I love mangalore,kolkatta...Goa....

yep...i bought an A&F shirt...sweet --floral--shirt for $35 and it was made in india...When i go back..i'm so going to hunt down the factories that import clothes here and go crazy :laugh: :) ....
I once bought a dolce and gabbana...(yes fake..but spelled right...)top from delhi...people freeze when they see it here...one reason i don't wear it...another reason...?----it's bright orange...!!! :laugh:

hopeful05 said:
yep...i bought an A&F shirt...sweet --floral--shirt for $35 and it was made in india...When i go back..i'm so going to hunt down the factories that import clothes here and go crazy :laugh: :) ....
I once bought a dolce and gabbana...(yes fake..but spelled right...)top from delhi...people freeze when they see it here...one reason i don't wear it...another reason...?----it's bright orange...!!! :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

parasiteatwork said:
anyone from GOA?

well my ancestors are from goa.. my dad's from chennai and mom's from calicut (in kerala)
my sister and i were born in australia. and now we're in the u.s. haaa yeahhh we're cool. :laugh:

rxgal8 said:
oh wait...maybe his name is Johnny Walker and not Lever. No, it is Johnny Lever. You're getting me all confused now haha. Johnny walker is a brand of whiskey I thought. :confused:

Johny Lever is the dark short guy in all contemporary hindi movies- a good but loud comedian!
this is him
video8974.jpg

Johny Walker was a comedian in old black and white indian movies- usually a side kick of Dev Anand and many more- but quite better at it then the Johny Lever see him
Johny-walker-solo2.jpg

Cleared??

by the way- i am from Gujarat- Ahmedabad!
jali_img.jpg

Find out just what it is like to have a Tamilian Girlfriend:

* Her mother looks down at you because you didn't pass out from Anna
University/Loyola.
* Her father starts every conversation with `I say...'
* She shudders if you use four letter words.
* She shudders when you eat eggs.
* Eat non-veg, and she'll throw up on your face.
* She has long hair, neatly braided.
* She uses the word `Super' as her only superlative.
* Her name is another name for a Goddess or a flower.
* Her first name is longer than your first name, middle name and
surname combined.
* She seduced you. And then told all her cousins.
* When she mixes milk and rice you are never sure whether it is for
the Dog or for herself.
* On weddings she sports a mini jasmine garden on her head and wears
silk saris in Madras heat without looking too uncomfortable while you
are melting in your singlet.
* She thinks Arvind Swami is the sexiest man alive.
* Her favourite cricketer is Kris Srikkant.
* Her favourite food is dosa though she has tried `North Indian snacks
like Chats (pronounced like the slang for conversation)'
* She doesn't mind if you wear white trousers with contrasting
undergarments.
* She bursts into song with her cousins in every movie. She bores you
by telling you which raaga each song you hear is based on.
* You don't have to give her jewelry, she'll be happy if you got her
flowers instead.
* She is more educated than you.
* Her father thinks she is much smarter than you.
* And he is probably right.

DrGarfield said:
Johny Lever is the dark short guy in all contemporary hindi movies- a good but loud comedian!

Johny Walker was a comedian in old black and white indian movies- usually a side kick of Dev Anand and many more- but quite better at it then the Johny Lever

Cleared??
Yup it's all clear now :D I haven't seen any Johnny Walker movies but definitely seen Johnny Lever. Thx

DrGarfield said:

University/Loyola.
surname combined.
the Dog or for herself.
undergarments.
flowers instead.
Dr Garfield, dont tell me u learnt this from a personal experience... :laugh: :D :laugh:

parasiteatwork said:
Dr Garfield, dont tell me u learnt this from a personal experience... :laugh: :D :laugh:

Well, I did have a Tamil Girlfriend back in University time- and I bet you- many of these Are fitting- but not all- because i never could meet her Parents!!! :D But one thing you can be sure of- they are Intelligent- if not anything else!!

Dude,

Nothing wrong with having a long first name ;) and also add the LONG last name ! :D

Arvind Swami is a cutie yaar, i mean even with his mustache! ;)

Ohhhhh, I miss those "Jasmine in my hair" days...

I still have yet to catch onto the raaga of songs things...

Plus - I think this list is missing how much a south indian female - tamilian LOVESSSS yogurt in anything and everything! - well okay, maybe it's just me :laugh:

Proud to be a southie!!! (mallu-tamilian) :D

Regards,
Vidya

DrGarfield said:

University/Loyola.
surname combined.
the Dog or for herself.
undergarments.
flowers instead.

S_R said:
Dude,

Nothing wrong with having a long first name ;) and also add the LONG last name ! :D

Arvind Swami is a cutie yaar, i mean even with his mustache! ;)

Ohhhhh, I miss those "Jasmine in my hair" days...

I still have yet to catch onto the raaga of songs things...

Plus - I think this list is missing how much a south indian female - tamilian LOVESSSS yogurt in anything and everything! - well okay, maybe it's just me :laugh:

Proud to be a southie!!! (mallu-tamilian) :D

Regards,
Vidya

Good to know that!
You can actually take more than a half of this as a compliment!!! I have been to Chennai- I adore the parade of beautiful women with the jasmine in the hair and some Lep on face with flying colours sarees!!

futuris2kl said:
i'm from Trivandrum, Kerala.......did most of my schooling in Dubai, U.A.E and am now doin my med school in Delhi.......

hey futuris I was in VIPS, Dxb. Do we know each other. I am doing my med in Kerala.

HEY anyone else from Goa or have ancestors from there???? I feel a little left out. :D

^ Have you been to Goa before? I heard it was nice. India's prime resort destination.

sunny123 said:
^ Have you been to Goa before? I heard it was nice. India's prime resort destination.

It is an awesome place Sunny, although I haven't been there myself. These days with the economy getting stronger more and more people go to Goa .

My cousin and also my friends in India have been to Goa and they all say that it is a lot of fun

Premedtomed said:
It is an awesome place Sunny, although I haven't been there myself. These days with the economy getting stronger more and more people go to Goa .

My cousin and also my friends in India have been to Goa and they all say that it is a lot of fun
I just hope the tourists haven't destroyed the place, by littering all about.

ya- lot of litter is there- but still it is a place to be!!

There is another- Diu- it is with the -Union Territory of Goa but falls within Gujarat! A beautiful place- misused by Gujjus for getting Drunk- being a UT- Alcohol ban of Gujarat is not effective there!! :laugh:

DrGarfield said:

There is another- Diu- it is with the -Union Territory of Goa but falls within Gujarat! A beautiful place- misused by Gujjus for getting Drunk- being a UT- Alcohol ban of Gujarat is not effective there!! :laugh:
Doesn't it seem weird that Gujarat has an alcohol ban and casinos too. When I first heard about it, I was shocked and now that I think about it, I never even saw a beer in Gujarat last time I visited. I wonder what other states have alcohol/casino bans in India.

rxgal8 said:
Doesn't it seem weird that Gujarat has an alcohol ban and casinos too. When I first heard about it, I was shocked and now that I think about it, I never even saw a beer in Gujarat last time I visited. I wonder what other states have alcohol/casino bans in India.

Except from gujarat, Andhrapradesh tried to put a ban but it failed lately and they took up the alcohol ban! There is alcohol ban in Himachal Pradesh too!

Casinos are banned in the whole of india! Indians go Nepal to gamble- if they cannt manage to find illegal clubs nearby!!! ha ha :laugh: :laugh:

DrGarfield said:

True I have been there :laugh: not to drink :laugh: i was too young then

sunny123 said:
Why are casinos banned in India?

Gambling as such is banned in india by law! Even the Last One number matching lottery tickets are considered Gambling and they are now closed!

But I know for sure in Calcutta they got some racetrack, near the Victoria Memorial Hall. I guess no betting goes on over there?

Anyways... anyone ever been up north, like in or near the Himalayan range? How was it?

sunny123 said:
But I know for sure in Calcutta they got some racetrack, near the Victoria Memorial Hall. I guess no betting goes on over there?

Anyways... anyone ever been up north, like in or near the Himalayan range? How was it?

been to New Delhi, night scene pretty liberal

North east region is beautiful, never been there though

I have been to it all! almost the whole of India except the North-eastern part!

I went Kashmir full fledge when i was 5 yrs!! ha ha There was no terrorism then!

Simla, Kulu, Manali- I´ve been twice. simla is lately losing it´s beauty a little due to the huge tourist pressure and population- Manali has also changed a lot in last 5 years- and expanded like hell, but still it is more beautiful of both the places.

I went Jammu and Vaishnodevi before 4 years-almost. it´s a nice place to be, religiously and beautiful too!

The Best according to me was Darjeeling! that place is more Preserved than the others. The Tiger hills and Gangtok are a good cruise from Darjeeling!

sunny123 said:

oh yes, It's beautiful! :)