Where can i apply my MS in biochem besides lab research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinkinglobster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the very beginning i was on a path to med school and then shifted towards pure science. i have no regrets. Now, i am thinking of doing something else besides research. I have done 2 years of grad school, then 3 years in the industry - worked all the way up to the scientist level and honestly im getting tired of the lab, dont get me wrong, its fun and thankfully we are doing pretty cool research, but i do not see my self working all my life in the lab. I do not want to lead a lab or group of scientists either (i'd also have to get PhD for that)... and i do not want to persue PhD in science.
In what fields do you think i could try applying myself?
Is there anything else besides consulting? (for which i'd have to get an MBA to be able to advance in the future) honestly, i do not think that i have enough experience to do good cosulting job at this point..

Members don't see this ad.

At the very beginning i was on a path to med school and then shifted towards pure science. i have no regrets. Now, i am thinking of doing something else besides research. I have done 2 years of grad school, then 3 years in the industry - worked all the way up to the scientist level and honestly im getting tired of the lab, dont get me wrong, its fun and thankfully we are doing pretty cool research, but i do not see my self working all my life in the lab. I do not want to lead a lab or group of scientists either (i'd also have to get PhD for that)... and i do not want to persue PhD in science.
In what fields do you think i could try applying myself?
Is there anything else besides consulting? (for which i'd have to get an MBA to be able to advance in the future) honestly, i do not think that i have enough experience to do good cosulting job at this point..

Hi -- sounds like you need some resources for the search.

I'd recommend "Leaving the Ivory Tower". It's a print book w/ alternate career paths for scientists leaving academia or industry...
Check Amazon.

As for online tools, there are many of these! From career/personality testing (though it is better to do these w/ a career counselor due to some irregularities in the online versions) to sites like Science (AAAS) career network. Check Google.

Arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible, job shadow and intern. Then when you make a decision, it'll be an informed one.

All the best to you.

GraC