Advice Please: MD/MBA, Career examples, MS1 Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dirk__Diggler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a few different questions. Any advice helps. Thanks.

First off, is there resource that shows some career-paths that other MD/MBA's have taken. I'd like to look at the paths of people with similar interests to get some inspiration on where to begin.

Before I came to medical school, I worked in Business Development at an ACO. I really loved the work and have become fascinated in policy, cost-cutting, and the interface between healthcare and technology (EMR). I have a tentative offer to work for a large ACO this summer, is that something I should go for, or is research more important?

As far as MD/MBA...

A few weeks ago, my med school gave a presentation on its MD/MBA program. Unfortunately, my school's program is associated with a no-name business school. Is it worth waiting it out and applying to a better MBA program (maybe during/after residency)? Also, I was not a business major in college. Is it important to take some econ courses before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to ask an ancillary question to this topic for those MD's who have attained an MBA. I am an American but took a year off in undergrad to study abroad. I'm currently finishing up medical school. I've always wanted to return to that university and obtain an MBA. I had planned on doing so after residency. It's a one year program. My question, is it a bad idea to take a year off to do a full-time MBA program for one year after residency? I don't want my clinical skills to diminish but timeline-wise, I want to do that program before my life takes off with marriage/kids/etc. I know there is great MBA programs in the US but I just want to go back to my old university and study for a degree there. Can anyone offer me some seasoned advice? My main concern is coming back and being rusty at medicine and wishing I hadn't taken the time off.
Thanks in advance!