Incoming MS1 Activities Relating to MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Hibbert

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey.

Did any of you get involved in any activities as MS1's or MS2's that related to the MBA or business in general? Most schools don't allow you to commit to the MD/MBA degree until after second year and you don't actually start until your later years but I'm wondering if some of you found clubs or activities that helped you decide whether the dual degree was right for you.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you getting the MBA? Talk to your MD/MBA advisor, if you have one, and see what they think.

If you don't have an advisor, see if there's one at a school nearby who will meet you, if not, see if there are any MD/MBA'd physicians in the area and see if they'll meet you.

From what I can tell mentorship in this field is extremely important due to the emerging nature of it and how variable the routes are with it.

I'm planning on getting involved in the MD/MBA meetings/guest lectures at my school per the program director's suggestion. I will not apply until next year, but I think it will be good to get my feet wet. I take the GMAT next week as well so we will see how that goes.

My school has some relevant health care electives as well that I will pursue but other then that my decision to pursue an MBA stems from my work experience and wanting a formal classroom/academic setting for learning about business and health care. I agree with Osteoth- reach out to your program director or other students currently in the program and see what they think.