Where are all the caribean failure stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think thats a controversial statement. I think US allopathic medical school spots go to, deservedly so, people who have shown that they are able to excel in classroom situations, standardized tests, etc. And I think that is a great thing, exactly how it should be.

There are not many, if any, spots for people who have not excelled in one of those major areas. That is what the caribbean provides, a place where people who are deficient (in med school application terms) in one of those areas can go to show that they are in fact capable.
You mean you have to excel to get into a competitive graduate school? Who would have thought?

Your argument is there's no opportunity for med school in the US since only highly qualified people get in?really

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Right but at the end of the day these guys are giving people the opportunity. If you think you have what it takes, then you are encouraged to apply.

There are players in the NFL that go undrafted yet still make it. Odds are against them, but they are still overlooked and some still make it.

This is no different. If you truly believe you have what it takes, then here's your shot. In the end, far too many people overestimate themselves. Can't really fault the schools for that.

It doesn't cost you >$250,000 to enter the NFL draft.

Reactions: 2 users
It doesn't cost you >$250,000 to enter the NFL draft.

Surely you spend most of your college focus on athletics and training while potentially sacrificing your health. The education you are being offered often is a much lower priority and while you can't put the same dollar figure on it, the risk is on a similar level.

Members don't see this ad :)
A great many of those kids would never get into college without football, and they get a full scholarship. It's a terrible analogy.

A great many of these kids would have never gotten into a medical school with out the Caribbean options, and they have a bachelors to fall back on.

It's quite a good analogy, unless you're just anti-private schools.

It's a good analogy if you ignore the six figure elephant in the room, which is the whole problem.

To many a six figure risk to potentially make 7 figures or more is one worth taking. Who are you to decide what's right for them and what's not?

yeah lets hold their hands even more. Caribbean schools are so mean, the poor poor helpless children. oh wait they're adults and capable of making life-changing decisions

you can sign up for the army, but a med school is taking advantage of you by offering you a seat. give me a break

Well again, as I explained before those match numbers DO NOT correspond to first time match rates (i.e. recent grads who are applying to the match for the first time)

Ross had a first time match rate of 86% last year. The US Allopathic rate last year was 94%, which is not such a huge difference.

And comparing the odds of matching from a caribbean school to the odds of winning the lottery is ridiculous and only makes you look like you are uniformed and have no idea what you are talking about

That is pretty crazy. Especially considering that osteopathic schools have a rate of 70% in acgme spots. And a school like touro NY has a 31 mcat average and a match list littered with lots of prelim spots while ross regularly takes students with 20s mcat!

Ya lets throw a troll in the mix, that will help
Ha didnt mean to throw a wrench into the conversation. I just find this thread very interesting. A friend of mine took the Ross merp program and didnt pass it. After her almost went to SGU but i talked him out of it.

I have a problem with schools that would never meet US accreditation standards using aggressive marketing techniques and manipulation of their data selling a pipedream to people who are either:
A) often unaware that they have better options with a bit of time and dedicated improvement to their application could get into a US school
Or
B) are at extremely high risk of failure and should not be wasting the money in the first place.

"It's their money what's it to you" is a foolish argument for anyone who cares about the well being of others. I believe based on the data over years and the advice of a number of experienced educators (not on this board) that it is a bad choice for many. I also believe people deserve to be told the truth about attrition and match rates so that they understand what they are getting into. I also believe that while certainly extreme cases, some of these blog posts of failure stories here do a good job painting the reality of the consequences of failure narratively that the numbers don't do justice to.

The concern is appreciated but there are plenty of people who go to one of these schools and succeed. To some people they're selling a pipedream but to others they're giving them an opportunity. It's on you to make the most of it.

I took a far bigger risk than most. I never applied to a US medical school and was accepted to Ross at age 20 before I had completed my bachelors (which I still don't have, or care for). Going to Ross saved me 2 years in a process that already takes way too long. Some people would say accepting a transfer admission to UC Berkeley or UCLA would have been the better option, but I opted to go to Ross instead.

I have a problem with schools that would never meet US accreditation standards using aggressive marketing techniques and manipulation of their data selling a pipedream to people who are either:
A) often unaware that they have better options with a bit of time and dedicated improvement to their application could get into a US school
Or
B) are at extremely high risk of failure and should not be wasting the money in the first place.

"It's their money what's it to you" is a foolish argument for anyone who cares about the well being of others. I believe based on the data over years and the advice of a number of experienced educators (not on this board) that it is a bad choice for many. I also believe people deserve to be told the truth about attrition and match rates so that they understand what they are getting into. I also believe that while certainly extreme cases, some of these blog posts of failure stories here do a good job painting the reality of the consequences of failure narratively that the numbers don't do justice to.

Why are people allowed to drink then? Smoke?

You mean you have to excel to get into a competitive graduate school? Who would have thought?

Your argument is there's no opportunity for med school in the US since only highly qualified people get in?really

Calm down, I think you are looking for an argument where this is none. All I was saying is that some people who didn't excel in one area during undergrad can still make competent physicians, but there are just not the spots in US allopathic enrollment for those people to prove that. The caribbean is a good option for those people as there are more residency spots than US medical student positions.

Or

I don't think the top caribbean schools (Ross, SGU, AUC) actually do that. The education you receive at those schools is comparable to that of US schools (I was alongside either US allopathic or osteopathic students in every single one of my clinical rotations).

It's pretty insulting actually that you believe that since I went to the caribbean I was duped into doing so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait are we arguing that the caliber of student at a Caribbean medical school equals that of someone at a U.S. MD school?

Seriously?

Reactions: 1 users
And this is the other problem. Carib students and grads take it as a personal insult when people point out the problems with these schools and their practices. Or they have a selfish interest in protecting the brand and worry about how it impacts their personal reputation moving forward.

Ross has a near 40% attrition rate. Saba 50. If you can't see a problem with that you're just being intellectually dishonest.

I'd encourage you to wander over to pre-allo and see what L2D's experience working clinically with these students has been if we are actually going to start talking about the relative quality of the training and not just the predatory practices.

First off, of course I am going to stand up for "my brand" as you put it because you are completely misrepresenting the reality of the situation.

Second, I'm not sure where you are getting these attrition rates as they are certainly not publicly available. And even if they were right, I honestly don't have a problem with it. These people are adults and can make their own decisions. The information is out there, good and bad, accessible to anyone who is willing to look.

And lastly, I'm sure there is an attending that has had some bad experiences with caribbean students. There are also bad US allopathic students.

This is my favorite argument about caribbean schools. They say that they provide an inferior clinical training, and then at the same time complain that caribbean students are taking away clinical spots from US students. So our training is inferior, but at the same time US schools want to place their own students in those positions.

Wait are we arguing that the caliber of student at a Caribbean medical school equals that of someone at a U.S. MD school?

Seriously?

No in fact I said exactly the opposite. People get into US medical school because they are superior students and have proven their ability to excel. All I'm saying is that not getting into a US MD school does not mean that a person can't be a competent physician, and this is the role of the caribbean medical school. Opportunity to prove yourself

I have repeatedly addressed your arguments, I just don't agree with you.

Or

I do not agree that this is what the 3 biggest caribbean schools do. It is obviously not a "pipedream" as you put it based on the fact that >2,000 match into residency positions from caribbean schools every year.

Yes it is a bad choice for some, but it certainly isn't a bad choice for all. The information is available for anyone who puts the effort into finding it. How do I know this, because I found the info before I decided to go to Ross. I know you think that "there is a reason US schools have set the gatekeeper function at the pre-med stage." But the problem with that is that US medical admissions boards are not infallible, and having the option to go to caribbean to prove your ability is a good option for many people. Of course some people will fail, but the majority of people that go to the caribbean match to a residency position and make fine physicians.

And also, where is your evidence that caribbean schools lie about attrition and match rates? Match rates are published by the NRMP/ECFMG and are freely available.

First off, of course I am going to stand up for "my brand" as you put it because you are completely misrepresenting the reality of the situation.

Second, I'm not sure where you are getting these attrition rates as they are certainly not publicly available. And even if they were right, I honestly don't have a problem with it. These people are adults and can make their own decisions. The information is out there, good and bad, accessible to anyone who is willing to look.

And lastly, I'm sure there is an attending that has had some bad experiences with caribbean students. There are also bad US allopathic students.

This is my favorite argument about caribbean schools. They say that they provide an inferior clinical training, and then at the same time complain that caribbean students are taking away clinical spots from US students. So our training is inferior, but at the same time US schools want to place their own students in those positions.

Schools complain caribbean schools are taking away clinical spots from US students because the schools are essentially buying these rotation spots from hospitals with the thousands of dollars worth of crushed dreams they milk out of the students that contribute to their attrition rate every year. US schools are complaining because they don't fail out half their class before clinical years and so don't have half a class worth of tuition to pay a hospital to keep their students there.

Schools complain caribbean schools are taking away clinical spots from US students because the schools are essentially buying these rotation spots from hospitals with the thousands of dollars worth of crushed dreams they milk out of the students that contribute to their attrition rate every year. US schools are complaining because they don't fail out half their class before clinical years and so don't have half a class worth of tuition to pay a hospital to keep their students there.

I understand the argument. What I was pointing out is that you can't make that complaint and at the same time say that the clinical education that caribbean students receive is substandard. These are two arguments that often go hand-in-hand, which is ridiculous. If the training is bad, why would US schools want to send their students there?

SS quoted specific (I would guess exaggerated) attrition rates, which are not available.

The "information" I was talking about was that going to medical school in the caribbean is a gamble. It's easy to find that schools have substantial attrition rates, matching is difficult, certain specialties are mostly of limits, etc.

lmao this is the stupidest crap i've ever read
it's the same things that nps use to try to talk up their "non-inferiority"
"there are bad us allopathic students so it's okay that there are so many bad caribbean students" yeah ok
no one is taking clinical spots from us students. caribbean schools buy their own spots to provide to their students with the insane amounts of money that they take for tuition. there are more than enough clinical spots for us students

caribbean schools suck, most of their students suck, get over it

Reactions: 6 users
I don't get the numbers.

100% of my facebook friends who went to the Caribbean turned out fine (matched IM residencies in NY) or are doing fine (passed STEP 1). They went to Ross, AUC, and SGU. These are people from a UC undergrad, if that matters at all.

I'm starting to believe they are a valid option. I think the people who fail out are like people who barely graduated low tier colleges or something.

I think the consensus is that most people that were decent applicants (perhaps borderline for USMD schools or maybe didn't want to go DO) end up doing fine in the Caribbean. I'm going to postulate that your friends that went to UC schools, which are good schools, fit that demographics. It's the rest of the Caribbean students - often the majority - that have the tough time.

Edit - Just saw your post saying these students were horrible in undergrad. Hmm. That contradicts my argument then. I have no clue. Maybe they lucked out.

Last edited:
60% is not that great. Given what is forfieted for such an opportunity. I for one think this argument is silly. Obviously US grads are better suited in my eyes. Yes, I am biased. As are most US residency programs. I had a close friend argue similar antics in regards to chiropractic school...

It's on the front page of pre-allo. I'm on my phone.
What's the issue in that thread? I looked at the first couple posts and then the last page which seem to be completely different topics. Any thread speaking about carib schools always balloons into a 5 page thread so I don't want to sit and read the whole thing. Seems like a kid is debating going to SGU or Ross with a low gpa, that about it?

Even if the attrition rate is 0, 60% match rate is just obscene. There is no way in hell you could convince any financially rational (or just plain rational) person to end up 6 figures in debt for those odds. Especially since that 60% is just to match, I'd imagine the percent of people getting into a field they actually want to go into is significantly lower.

The argument that Caribbean schools are a 'second chance' is just silly in my mind as well. Most of the people that go Caribbean are the ones that couldn't get the GPA or scores to stay here. Chances are they didn't get those stats from being great students and independent learners. To say those students are going to suddenly become strong students at the Caribbean school seems pretty farfetched to me. It may be a second chance, but it's a wasted chance if the student doesn't already have the skills to succeed.

Reactions: 3 users
L2D argument (which is a good one and I've never thought of it this way before) is that due to the large amount of drop-outs, the Caribbean schools have tons of money to pay places for rotations. As a result of this, Caribbean students 3rd year rotations are a joke compared to US 3rd years, in that the Caribbean kids basically have their hands held and tried to be satisfied, so that the school retains the contract with the hospital, which we're assuming pays very handsomely.

never had thought about it that way, but it makes sense that would happen

I don't particularly want to get into a lengthy argument, but my personal observations of those that go to Caribbean schools and have success and happiness basically fall into a few categories: The total college burnout who is a talented test taker, but did not want to spend the years it would take to get into a US school, Canadians who could not gain entrance to Canadian schools due to their frankly ridiculous competitiveness, and thirdly, those who aspire to nothing more than a primary care and are not particular about location.

There are many gradations of misery I have witnessed coming from the Caribbean schools: failing out before the match, not matching due to boards failure (which is often a permanent inability to find a categorical spot), matching prelim in a field they don't want, then doing it again (and sometimes, again), not matching due to lofty specialty expectations, matching, but in a non-preferred specialty, matching in their preferred specialty, but at programs that are malignant, or in a location incompatible with their desire (or both). The list is long and it is not mirrored in my experience by those who attended US schools.

My simple barometer for how pleased people are with their choice of school is that...well I tend to ask them. And I overwhelmingly, at a rate of about 5:1, get the answer "no. I wish I would have reapplied to US schools." Many explain that they didn't even know about DO's at all. I admit, I didn't either, until every USMD school I applied to rejected me.

Reactions: 4 users
L2D argument (which is a good one and I've never thought of it this way before) is that due to the large amount of drop-outs, the Caribbean schools have tons of money to pay places for rotations. As a result of this, Caribbean students 3rd year rotations are a joke compared to US 3rd years, in that the Caribbean kids basically have their hands held and tried to be satisfied, so that the school retains the contract with the hospital, which we're assuming pays very handsomely.

never had thought about it that way, but it makes sense that would happen

I would say that's false. On my last 2 core rotations I have been the only carib student and the one before that there was only 1 other from my school. The difficulty being a joke is also false. Things differ hospital by hospital as it does at US schools. Further, I have plenty of friends at US allo schools who had cupcake core rotations. People try to act as if every single US Allo school provides you with such an extraordinarily superior clinical experience. At the end of the day the reason US Allo schools are better is because of the standardization of what they require of the students and the essential guarantee of post-graduate work. I'm not trying to belittle the quality of the education in the US, but the problem with Carib schools is taking so many kids, the attrition rates, and relatively poor match rates. However, IF a student makes it out, I do not see Carib residents as being inferior to their US peers.

My OMSIIIs routinely tell me that they encounter Carib students who don't know how to take histories, much less do basic physical exams.

I would say that's false. On my last 2 core rotations I have been the only carib student and the one before that there was only 1 other from my school. The difficulty being a joke is also false. Things differ hospital by hospital as it does at US schools. Further, I have plenty of friends at US allo schools who had cupcake core rotations. People try to act as if every single US Allo school provides you with such an extraordinarily superior clinical experience. At the end of the day the reason US Allo schools are better is because of the standardization of what they require of the students and the essential guarantee of post-graduate work. I'm not trying to belittle the quality of the education in the US, but the problem with Carib schools is taking so many kids, the attrition rates, and relatively poor match rates. However, IF a student makes it out, I do not see Carib residents as being inferior to their US peers.

My OMSIIIs routinely tell me that they encounter Carib students who don't know how to take histories, much less do basic physical exams.

yikes, I'm hoping thats over exaggeration.

for some reason this came to mind

Last edited:
Lot of us grad snobbery going on here.

Past performance is not indicative of future results. There's far more that makes up a physician than how you did in undergrad.

Guys, why are we arguing this? Some carib kids work hard and make it. Others don't.
You don't have to be a genius to practice medicine. You just have to work hard - for some that hard work comes at a later time than others. They just have a little catching up is all.
In the end we still are colleagues with an MD. I might be consulting one of them and not even know it.
Let's stop hating for tonight.

Those NP students on the other hand.........

So.....what were your rotations like? Hours, call, pimping, etc? What procedures are you comfortable with?

Guys, why are we arguing this? Some carib kids work hard and make it. Others don't.
You don't have to be a genius to practice medicine. You just have to work hard - for some that hard work comes at a later time than others. They just have a little catching up is all.
In the end we still are colleagues with an MD. I might be consulting one of them and not even know it.

Sssshhhhhhhhhh! The allnurses brigade will be over here if we talk about NP's. Like creepily fast.

A lot of the folks here seem to think going to a Caribbean school is one of the worst decisions you can ever make. Clearly that's not the case for everyone and then they start rolling their eyes.

Is it a guarantee going to a Caribbean school? No, but isn't no guarantee going to a US Medical school either. There are trade offs.

I would have never gotten an early admission into a US Medical school and frankly 2 more years of 'proving myself' in undergrad wasn't something I cared for.

Now I went to a private Caribbean school (Ross) and I'm guessing my net student loans between undergrad + medical school is far less than your typical traditional US Allopathic student.

A lot of the folks here seem to think going to a Caribbean school is one of the worst decisions you can ever make. Clearly that's not the case for everyone and then they start rolling their eyes.

Is it a guarantee going to a Caribbean school? No, but isn't no guarantee going to a US Medical school either. There are trade offs.

I would have never gotten an early admission into a US Medical school and frankly 2 more years of 'proving myself' in undergrad wasn't something I cared for.

Now I went to a private Caribbean school (Ross) and I'm guessing my net student loans between undergrad + medical school is far less than your typical traditional US Allopathic student.

You're a Caribbean success story. Congratulations.

There are many many people not as lucky as you were. Especially with the loan thing.

You're a Caribbean success story. Congratulations.

There are many many people not as lucky as you were. Especially with the loan thing.

Right and all we're saying is that this is a viable route and option for many people.

I honestly have no idea how you can fail out of medical school once you get in. In the end it takes some level of intelligence (say IQ >110?) and merely putting in the work.

A lot of the folks here seem to think going to a Caribbean school is one of the worst decisions you can ever make.

I mean, there are probably worse decisions someone could make in life... so thats a "fair" argument. But within the healthcare enterprise it is probably one of the more foolish decisions someone could make if other options are available. Each to their own, but it would probably never cross my mind to leave the US to learn medicine within a developing nation.

I mean, there are probably worse decisions someone could make in life... so thats a "fair" argument. But within the healthcare enterprise it is probably one of the more foolish decisions someone could make if other options are available. Each to their own, but it would probably never cross my mind to leave the US to learn medicine within a developing nation.

All that's studied abroad is the basic sciences, which could probably be taught over Khan Academy.

All that's studied abroad is the basic sciences, which could probably be taught over Khan Academy.

Ahh I apologize that I am not throughly versed on the caribbean schools curriculum. Where do clinical rotations occur then?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...medical-school-rejects-as-taxpayers-fund-debt

DeVry Lures Medical School Rejects as Taxpayers Fund Debt

Adams, now 31, moved with his wife, Jessica, and their two young children to a two-bedroom apartment that smelled of dog urine and had a broken stove on the Dutch part of St. Maarten on Jan. 1. After financing his first two semesters with $67,000 in U.S. government-backed loans, Adams expects to leave medical school with as much as $400,000 in debt -- and about a 20 percent chance of never practicing as a physician in the U.S...
DeVry, which has two for-profit medical schools in the Caribbean, is accepting hundreds of students who were rejected by U.S. medical colleges. These students amass more debt than their U.S. counterparts -- a median of $253,072 in June 2012 at AUC versus $170,000 for 2012 graduates of U.S. medical schools.
And that gap is even greater because the U.S. figure, compiled by the Association of American Medical Colleges, includes student debt incurred for undergraduate or other degrees, while the DeVry number is only federal medical school loans.

Many DeVry students quit, particularly in the first two semesters, taking their debt with them. While the average attrition rate at U.S. med schools was 3 percent for the class that began in the fall of 2008, according to the AAMC, DeVry says its rate ranges from 20 to 27 percent.
Of those who remained, 66 percent of AUC students and 52 percent of students at DeVry’s other Caribbean medical school, Ross University School of Medicine, finished their program -- typically two years of sciences followed by two years of clinical rotations -- on time in the academic year ended on June 30, 2012.

Right and all we're saying is that this is a viable route and option for many people.

I honestly have no idea how you can fail out of medical school once you get in. In the end it takes some level of intelligence (say IQ >110?) and merely putting in the work.

How you can fail out of med school once you get in, eh? I mean, I would just ask one of the many hundreds of your Caribbean cohorts how they failed out. And then report back to us plz. Without using the M word.

How you can fail out of med school once you get in, eh? I mean, I would just ask one of the many hundreds of your Caribbean cohorts how they failed out. And then report back to us plz. Without using the M word.

Some people didn't put in the work and others weren't quite smart enough.

There were however plenty of folks who came from more competitive states like California and New York, who would have gotten into medical schools in some less competitive states. At some point once you compare out of state tuition and waiting another year to apply, legitimate Caribbean schools look like a good option.

Most of the people that I was close to made it through and are attendings now.

Psst, I'm not the one using the M word left and right around here :p