When to start looking for jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueWolverine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been answered in some thread and I couldn't find it.

When in residency do you guys think it's time to start looking for jobs? Obviously don't want to start too early but would also like to be ahead of the game (I'm currently in my second year). I met with a couple of the physician recruiters at my hospital (not looking to stay in the area) and for the most part they were pretty helpful. They said it's not too early to start looking so I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Could it hurt to start looking this early? I guess my concern is that I start looking, get a few offers, but miss out on opportunities later because they weren't ready to hire for next year at this moment. Do I wait for the "right moment" and then just apply everywhere I'm looking so all jobs are on roughly the same timeline?

I've got my CV, cover letter, and references all ready to go. Just not sure when to take the plunge.

Members don't see this ad.

Browse and network - year 1
Apply and call around... maybe secure a job - year 2
Better get on it - year 3

BTW a good way to improve your “volunteer work” for CV this early in your career would involve becoming a journal peer-reviewer... just food for thought.

Reactions: 3 users
Asked a similar question on “job offer threads” and got some good responses. Also a second year resident. To add, if we apply with our current CV which is obviously incomplete (still have 1-2 courses to take, need to finish surgery cases, did not take boards yet) will employers even take us seriously? Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They should def take you seriously. They know you are in training and understand the board / surg training and case load discrepancies.

However, you will prob run into places that will nvr call u back / rude / “youre applying too early rawwwrrr!!!” / etc. All noise. Scratch them off your list and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
Apologies if this has been answered in some thread and I couldn't find it.

When in residency do you guys think it's time to start looking for jobs? Obviously don't want to start too early but would also like to be ahead of the game (I'm currently in my second year). I met with a couple of the physician recruiters at my hospital (not looking to stay in the area) and for the most part they were pretty helpful. They said it's not too early to start looking so I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Could it hurt to start looking this early? I guess my concern is that I start looking, get a few offers, but miss out on opportunities later because they weren't ready to hire for next year at this moment. Do I wait for the "right moment" and then just apply everywhere I'm looking so all jobs are on roughly the same timeline?

I've got my CV, cover letter, and references all ready to go. Just not sure when to take the plunge.
You are already behind the game

You are already behind the game
Cbs I Give Up GIF by HULU

I think one of the things people sometimes suffer from in the job hunt is impostor syndrome. You think - I can't apply for what sounds like an awesome full scope job because I haven't done those things yet and therefore I'm not good enough. You need to apply for jobs with the confidence that you will be excellent, well trained, capable etc.

Reactions: 6 users
I think one of the things people sometimes suffer from in the job hunt is impostor syndrome. You think - I can't apply for what sounds like an awesome full scope job because I haven't done those things yet and therefore I'm not good enough. You need to apply for jobs with the confidence that you will be excellent, well trained, capable etc.
Yup. Nobody has a clue how well trained you are. So might as well use that to your advantage.

Reactions: 2 users
Have 10 people review your cover letter and CV. If you have a recruiter friend to review all the better.
Accept all feed back and re-evaluate.
Then blast it out. 2nd year is the perfect time to start looking for a job.
Last 6 months of 3rd year is too late.

To answer this question, you need to realize how long it takes to get you up and going (state lic, malprac, on hospitals, on insurances, etc) once you sign a job offer...

3-6months typically for PP that has other podiatrists (as soon as you get lic + malprac, they can bill you under the group for awhile as you apply to payers)
...add a bit (so 6-9mo) if it's a hospital job or a MSG or ortho that hasn't had podiatry before (they need you on payers and at hospital)
...add even more (so 9-12mo) if it's a govt job VA/IHS or academic job (just very very very slow process at most)
Sure, there might be some PP job you can start a month after signing, nasty payers that are delayed/closed in some saturated areas, or even a hospital privileges app that takes over a year due to very slow HR and politics, but those are not the norm.

Based on how long it usually takes to get a new doc running, that is normally how employers will behave. Good advice above.
-First year is fine to look at jobs and find where jobs are posted. If you're set on one area, make contacts there and shadow where you can.
-Second year is good to hone in on area or type of gig you'd prefer and get your CV finalized.
-Late 2nd year and early 3rd year is the "go time" : have your CV finished up, memorize your key skills and goals, practice some scripts for interviews, be prepared to travel (sure you can video interview for first interview or for some lesser quality jobs who just need a warm body as associate, but you will learn almost zero about the actual office/hospital/job that video chat way), have a few sets of good clothes and know how to dress nice, etc.

Some people like to send their CV to basically every posted job they can find online and see if a few of those hundreds of popcorn kernels pop, and others like to screen jobs and then call the offices to f/u on application, ask to visit, etc... take a more personal approach (usually my choice... since I'm interviewing them as much as they are me). Still others will call ortho groups or hospitals who don't have a DPM and try to create a position that way. It's definitely a situation of make your own luck.

...Regardless of your own strategy, the vast majority of jobs will want someone to start within about 6 months (maybe 12mo max if it's a hospital job) from the time of interview/hire, though. They don't want to play the candidate hunt game forever, and some even have an immediate need and prefer someone who already has that state license. If you apply for typical PP or MSG jobs in early 2nd year, most will just tell you that they need someone much sooner but will consider you in 6months if they haven't filled the slot (or if current need fills and another opens up by the time you could start... not impossible in larger groups/hospitals). If you talk to hospitals in the first half of your training, it won't ever hurt... but they will probably tell you to check back closer to your graduation to see if there is a need at that time. No harm done. It is still fine to get that practice and confidence and make those contacts, but it's pretty unlikely that anything will bear fruit until that late 2nd or early 3rd year resident time. I would guess the average is Sep/Oct of 3rd year for DPM residents signing a job (and this even includes the DPMs who knew they were working at daddy's office or their hometown hospital from day 1 of residency). Most MDs are a bit sooner but not too much - rare exceptions academic jobs.

...at the end of the day, not many DPMs last at their first job. You want to get the best position you can and hopefully get through boards and pay down some loans there (rural hospital FTE or stable group PP is good for this), but it is always a learning exp regardless. GL

Yup. Nobody has a clue how well trained you are. So might as well use that to your advantage.
Oh for sure. Truer words have not been spoken. It is up to any job seeker to sell their training. ^^

Last edited: