When should I take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burton117

The Big Kahuna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, everybody..

I'm looking for a little advice as to when I should take the DAT considering the following situation:

I am finishing up the last of my pre-dental prerequisites (Organic Chemistry II) this semester and should be finished with class on May 19th. My class load is pretty intense right now (15 graduate credits plus 3 credits of Organic Chemistry/ 1 Credit Organic Lab) Also, my dentist has asked me to go as a dental assistant going on a Dental Missions trip to Haiti to work in an orphanage there from June 3-10. I am very seriously considering going on this trip.

I am also currently taking a Kaplan DAT prep class that finishes at the same time as the Dental Trip to Haiti. Then, this summer I will be doing research immediately after June 10th and it should be 40 or so hours/wk.

So, this could give me two full weeks of study time (with nothing else to do), then the 10 day trip, then 20 or so days after that to cram just before the test (while concurrently working in the lab).

So, my question is this: Should I plan to take the DAT right after I finish my Kaplan Class.. say the end of June or so. Then, if I don't get in the 20's (which is my goal) I can retake the DAT at least 90 days later which would be the end of September or so. Or is this too late for a "backup" test date? If this would be too late for a retake, should I just put all of my eggs in one basket by taking the test at a later date - like the middle of the summer? Or, should I not go on the trip to Haiti with my dentist and focus 100% on the DAT prep immediately before?

Just wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation and has any advice to give. Any responses are very much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

For the Poll... there are multiple choice options...

1) Choose when I should take the DAT.

2) Choose whether I should go on the trip or not.

Anybody have particular reasoning one way or the other as to why they voted what they voted?

burton117 said:
Anybody have particular reasoning one way or the other as to why they voted what they voted?

I think Haiti is on the list of places the US Gov has determined is not safe to travel to. I don't think we have an embassy there. Unemployment is extremely high, and kidnappings of westerners for ransom is common.

I hope I have this right (my apologies if I'm incorrect). I wouldn't go if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
floydthefish said:
I think Haiti is on the list of places the US Gov has determined is not safe to travel to. I don't think we have an embassy there. Unemployment is extremely high, and kidnappings of westerners for ransom is common.

I hope I have this right (my apologies if I'm incorrect). I wouldn't go if I were you.

I guess I'll need to look into this.. (but on the other hand - I have already been to more dangerous countries before - Sierra Leone for instance) :D

Prattattack said:
Just curious...when did you go to sierra leone ?
I went to Sierra Leone for six months from June of 2002 until December of 2002. I completed an internship there with World Relief working in the capital of Freetown as well as a building reconstruction product in the district of Kailahun - which is directly between Guinea and Liberia. The war led by Charles Taylor was just across the border in Liberia and we could hear artillery shelling in the distance quite consistently. It was a pretty intense experience and definitely contributed to my heart for dental/medical care for those less fortunate.

I have decided at this point to go on the trip to Haiti with my dentist. I am pretty excited about it and it should be quite an eye-opening experience, much like the one I just described in the above post. So, now I need to finish coming up with the money for this trip as well as verify my vaccines, etc...

According to the poll thus far, people seem to be voting more for me to take the DAT later in the summer and "put all my eggs in one basket." I would be interested in hearing the rationale behind this or at the very least directed to some links of posts discussing the reasons. I know I should take the DAT when I am ready, but I guess I am just weighing the pros and cons of both options.

Thanks to those who voted on the poll!